Exporting data - Stream feedback

Exporting data - Stream feedback

Postby Cleasby » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:50 am

Hi,

I know the ability for the end user to export data has been discussed a lot on the stream feedback.

The primary argument from the dev team to not have data exportable is that for online leagues this could lead to mining for data to find a 'cheat' in the game.

Whilst I understand the reasoning I disagree with this statement. As an admin in an online league CSFL we really want to enrich the DDSPF game and league with adding more advanced stats and allow the end user to show their work. At the end of the day the vast majorioty of GM text GM gamers are data nerds and we want the ability to export data from game to produce whizzy datasets and charts. A few example of what we have achieved with manual data entry can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1429949537

https://championsimleague.com/football/ ... f=22&t=668

https://championsimleague.com/football/ ... f=22&t=943

Plus many more I would be happy to share via slack.

I agree that some leagues and players may not want this feature but I would ask the dev team to explore the possibility of switching on more exporting functions like OOTP. You can allow the end commissioner to control the adbility but adding it as an on/off switch on their UI dashboard.

I can't stress enough how much the online community wants the ability to export data and stats in a far easier manner than the current game allows.
Cleasby

Re: Exporting data - Stream feedback

Postby brooks_piggott » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:58 am

The game already exports all of the data you could want with the exception of specific play data. We provide it in CSV files or Access databases, so you could use it to data mine, build your own web sites, or any other tools you could think of. If your league feels that the users would benefit from this the commissioners can definitely share the data. They may consider removing the player attributes so everyone still has to scout.

The play data is available, but it's only in the after game screen analysis for people to grab. In theory they could compile all of the data they're seeing from those games and build up playbooks, but it requires a lot more effort. At this time there are no plans to provide detailed play data for all plays. (If we did so we'd probably just put it up on the forum so everyone has it... since it would be the same across leagues and formats)
brooks_piggott

Postby TheRivals40 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:59 pm

Brooks,

I understand where your coming from, but why not allow all owners to export stats? Right now the commissioner would have to share that data every single week which would be a ton of work. In our online league a lot of owners are creating interesting stats and visualizations using the limited data we have and I even have started to scrape the HTML. But it's a lot of work and isn't accessible to everyone.

Also, I understand that you guys might not see it as a feature that is worth your time because it's not going to really draw in new users to the game, but let me make this counterpoint:
I feel like if you found a way to add this feature in, it would allow for a lot more activity in online leagues, visualizations to be created, etc. that would help your company in the long run because people will see and even share these graphics, it will show new users how active the fanbase is, and keep people active in online leagues so they buy the next version.
NOppenheimer
TheRivals40

Postby gbmoore » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:34 pm

Some very nice work there. I've done something similar to the sparq you use and also done some version of the PFR Approximate Value system. You guys have done some awesome stuff! I would love to continue to see this data easier to get to and eventually lead to community released mods.

There are a lot of great College formulas out there for evaluating program strength, too.
gbmoore

Postby Cleasby » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:13 pm

gbmoore wrote:Some very nice work there. I've done something similar to the sparq you use and also done some version of the PFR Approximate Value system. You guys have done some awesome stuff! I would love to continue to see this data easier to get to and eventually lead to community released mods.

There are a lot of great College formulas out there for evaluating program strength, too.

Yeah I know we have coders who would liek to grab the data in an easier fashion (plus additional data) and build a script to use for all leagues!
Cleasby

Postby brooks_piggott » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:38 pm

Yea, I could look at exporting pretty much everything but the player ratings. I could either include it in the publish so people could download it, or I can create a button somewhere that creates the export for users and not hiding in the config pages.
brooks_piggott

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2020 General Discussion