QB Run Question

QB Run Question

Postby regenerator » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:30 am

When is the QB Run or not logic used?
The reason I ask is I have a team where, if the QB ever runs, I want it to only be the backup QB. I don't think there is a way to do this with the game's logic is there?
The way I understand it, if a QB will run or not is only used for passing plays, correct, as in whether he might scramble and try to gain yards?
For QB called runs, this is run regardless of the QB's set likelihood or not to run, correct?
Is there a way to implement what I said, where "call QB run if backup QB is in" is possible playcall logic?
regenerator

Re: QB Run Question

Postby brooks_piggott » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:22 am

Correct... and no there isn't a way to turn off certain plays based on package... you'd have to put in different packages for various scenarios to lessen the chance that your primary QB is on the field in running situations.
brooks_piggott

Postby TheRivals40 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:35 pm

Isn’t it kind of broken how you can use a running QB only on run plays if you want? Then you can basically run wildcard all the time. Defenses have no way of adjusting to it whatsoever but obviously if you had one QB you only put in on run plays it would be super easy to stop IRL
NOppenheimer
TheRivals40

Postby brooks_piggott » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:53 pm

There are intelligence checks the defense makes on play recognition, so the more you run a play the easier it is for the defense to stop.
brooks_piggott

Postby TheRivals40 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:24 am

Brooks_Piggott wrote:There are intelligence checks the defense makes on play recognition, so the more you run a play the easier it is for the defense to stop.

You are completely missing the point, what I'm saying has nothing to do with running the same play over and over again. What I'm saying has to do with having 2 quarterbacks, one you use only on passing plays and one you use only on running plays.
NOppenheimer
TheRivals40

Postby AKH » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:58 am

basically there are two cases the QB will run.

1. on run plays. If you want to have a designated QB running the ball here, most people have a specific package with their desired QB as starter and in the formation settings seed only that package for run plays.

2. on pass plays. If the QB cant find a target and is in a favorable situation he may tuck the ball and take off running. You cannot control which QBs will do this since it will be whoever is on the field in the passing situation and depend on the exact development of the play. Their propensity to do this partly depends on their ratings (so a slow guy will do it less and a duel threat QB will do it more), and you can turn it up/down/off with the tuck&run setting in your gameplan.
AKH

Postby brooks_piggott » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:04 am

TheRivals40 wrote:
Brooks_Piggott wrote:There are intelligence checks the defense makes on play recognition, so the more you run a play the easier it is for the defense to stop.

You are completely missing the point, what I'm saying has nothing to do with running the same play over and over again. What I'm saying has to do with having 2 quarterbacks, one you use only on passing plays and one you use only on running plays.

No I understood what you were talking about... we don't have code in there specifically for defenses to recognize this scenario. It gets rolled up in all of the other intelligence checks. And again, if someone does set up a playbook with that much specificity the defense does adjust... just not based on a specific player running the play.
brooks_piggott

Postby TheRivals40 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:13 pm

Brooks_Piggott wrote:
TheRivals40 wrote:

No I understood what you were talking about... we don't have code in there specifically for defenses to recognize this scenario. It gets rolled up in all of the other intelligence checks. And again, if someone does set up a playbook with that much specificity the defense does adjust... just not based on a specific player running the play.

Not to be negative but I don't understand how you think it's realistic the way it works right now. Trust me I have tested this out you can put a QB in on only run plays and get good YPC. I don't see how you can say this is realistic.

Also there are people who put in a backup QB only on run plays just so their starter doesn't get hurt. Again, I'm not asking for the game to be 100% realistic but I feel like that's a pretty big departure from reality.
NOppenheimer
TheRivals40

Postby brooks_piggott » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:28 am

I'm not sure I said anywhere that this was realistic. I said we don't have code in there to recognize this scenario. So you're right, if a QB runs the defense treats it just like any other run. It's the same with any other position.. if you have a package specifically set up where you only put one specific WR in a specific slot and only use him in certain plays, the defense doesn't immediately recognize what's coming. Or you only put one certain fullback in to pass block, so the defense should know if that fullback is in it's an automatic pass.

For the running QB we can certainly put in checks for the defense where if the running qb is in the game they cheat forward on the run, but all that is going to do is nerf QB running.

I'm not sure how we would detect that just because a backup qb is in that it's an automatic run. That would require a certain amount of AI/Machine learning to analyze the formations, personnel on the field, and plays called and over a season it would have to be adapted as the defense "learned". While I can appreciate how cool this would be, it's not in the scope of the game to build.

To be honest rather than try and make the AI smarter to defend against any scheme that an offense comes up, I'd rather restrict the offense to things are are realistic. It's much easier to code for things like momentum where taking your QB out of the game causes issues versus trying to make the defense perfectly smart to recognize these patterns. Bottom line is, the game is a simulation game in many aspects. It's not perfect. And in cases where one team is doing unrealistic things, you're going to have unrealistic results.
brooks_piggott

Postby TheRivals40 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:56 am

Brooks_Piggott wrote:I'm not sure I said anywhere that this was realistic. I said we don't have code in there to recognize this scenario. So you're right, if a QB runs the defense treats it just like any other run. It's the same with any other position.. if you have a package specifically set up where you only put one specific WR in a specific slot and only use him in certain plays, the defense doesn't immediately recognize what's coming. Or you only put one certain fullback in to pass block, so the defense should know if that fullback is in it's an automatic pass.

For the running QB we can certainly put in checks for the defense where if the running qb is in the game they cheat forward on the run, but all that is going to do is nerf QB running.

I'm not sure how we would detect that just because a backup qb is in that it's an automatic run. That would require a certain amount of AI/Machine learning to analyze the formations, personnel on the field, and plays called and over a season it would have to be adapted as the defense "learned". While I can appreciate how cool this would be, it's not in the scope of the game to build.

To be honest rather than try and make the AI smarter to defend against any scheme that an offense comes up, I'd rather restrict the offense to things are are realistic. It's much easier to code for things like momentum where taking your QB out of the game causes issues versus trying to make the defense perfectly smart to recognize these patterns. Bottom line is, the game is a simulation game in many aspects. It's not perfect. And in cases where one team is doing unrealistic things, you're going to have unrealistic results.

I agree w this completely. What if you took QB off the depth chart and made a separate depth chart for QB only that ran across multiple formations. If people say they want a 2 QB system you could maybe let them assign percentages to different QBs on the chart. Not sure if that would be too hard or mess up some other aspect of the game, but just an idea.
NOppenheimer
TheRivals40

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2020 General Discussion