The World Football League

The World Football League

Postby heyguise » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:07 pm

In 2019 a mysterious billionaire (or group depending on who you ask) known only as The Commissioner announced the establishment of the World Football League (WFL). Shortly after this announcement The Commissioner chose 10 amateur football coaches to become the GM/Owners of their own team, giving each 100 million dollars to build their teams. The ten teams are, organized into three conferences, are:

WFL West Conference
Americas
New York Minute Men
Montreal Mounties
Mexico City Diablos
Havana Cubanos

Europe
Barcelona Bulls
Frankfurt Knights
London Monarchs

WFL East Conference
Asia
Moscow Bears
Tokyo Kaiju
Hong-Kong Dragons

The rules of the league were hashed out by the new GMs. The league will play 14 games per year, with 4 preseason games. Rosters are set at 40, with a 10 man practice squad. During the regular season there is no overtime. During the playoffs, which consist of the division winners and a wild card, a modified sudden death format was agreed upon.

Enter Lord Hiram McDaniel, the hero of our story.
Hiram McDaniel was born August 23rd 1972 to his father the Lord Jacob McDaniel of Stratfordshire, and his mother Melissa. It was Melissa, an American artist, who infused young Hiram with a love of American style football. His father gave him his second love, aviation. These two passions drove Hiram for the rest of his life. As a young man he enlisted in the Royal Air Force. Here he got his first taste of coaching, organizing friendly flag matches among his squad mates.

In 1993 tragedy struck. His father was killed in a freak motorcycle accident and Hiram, new heir to his father's title, was forced to seek discharge from the RAF and take up duties at his ancestral estate. Noticing that the youths on his estate had little to do Hiram established the Youth British Football League to teach the youngsters life skills and keep them out of trouble. Over the years the little league developed a small but passionate following.

Then the letter from the Commissioner came, and Hiram found himself as the GM of a professional football team, the London Monarchs.

The First Draft
During the first draft Hiram focused on developing a team capable of playing a high tempo, high scoring, spread based game. Eschewing defense because, "Defense is the last refuge of a failed offense." After the draft Hiram had a small but capable squad, featuring a few notable players.

QB #1 Peter Bostic, a gunslinger out of Howard with an OVR of 91.
WR #2 Orville Millard, a posession guy out of Purdue with an OVR of 89
K #7 John Adamson, out of LSU with an OVR of 92.
SS #7 Victor James, out of Marshall with an OVR of 95. (Which Hiram intends to trade for another WR as the season advances.)

So, the preseason begins...
Read the ongoing saga of Hiram McDaniels, GM of the London Monarch’s Told in an epistolary style, this report immerses the reader in a fictional football universe. See it here: https://www.wolverinestudios.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=305&t=30456
heyguise

Re: The World Football League

Postby heyguise » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:43 pm

Building the RAF Offense
Before the preseason began Hiram drafted his offensive playbook, the RAF offense. Inspired by WW2 fighter pilots the RAF offense is a fast tempo spread offense that focuses on short passes to chew through the opponents offense and set up a iso runs. Hiram decided to let defensive coordinator Markus Burkett, a stern former college coach, handle the defense. Burkett decided on a hybrid 3-3-5 scheme.

The First Game
From The Football Gazette
The snow fell fast in Kai Tak Stadium, the first blizzard in Hong Kong since 1998. Still, curious fans, both Hong Kong natives and plenty of American ex-pats, filled the stands to see the first WFL game. Inside the vistor's locker room the London Monarchs there was conversation among the players about the WFL. Would it fold like so many other leagues? Who is the Commissioner. Then Hiram walked in and rapped his walking stick, a long piece of yew with an ivory ball as a handle, on one of the lockers.

"Gentlemen," he said. "Many of you, I am sure, are bemused by the situation we find ourselves in. A new world football league... Will the world even care about football? A game, assumed by many, to be an American's game. We can find the answer in ourselves. It is not the type of game that drives fans to stadiums. No, it is the competition, the spirit of the athletes that is the draw. The competition. So, whether or not this league is a success depends solely on you. Do you care? Will you go out there, onto that snowy field, and bleed and sweat and cry and scrape and do everything it takes to win? I assure you, if you do this, if you go out there and play this game with every ounce of soul in your body then this league will - and this team - will be a success."

"This is not just a preseason game. This is the first game of this league. In this we set the tone, not only for our team but the entire league. Now go, armor your selves, and fight!"

The players stormed out of the locker ready to take on the Dragons. Ultimately the Monarchs won, 6-19.

The Rest of the Preseason
For the remainder of the preseason Hiram adjusted his offense, weighting his play calling, and scripting openers. Through out the presason the Monarchs remained undefeated. First they bested the Akira Johnson's Tokyo Kaiju 21-28. Next they clawed their way to victory of Peter Moore's Diablos 16-17. And finally, in a home game, they destroyed Uri Volkoff's Moscow Bears 35-10. The team, it appears, has depth.

But how will their season fare? Who will but cut from the roster?
Read the ongoing saga of Hiram McDaniels, GM of the London Monarch’s Told in an epistolary style, this report immerses the reader in a fictional football universe. See it here: https://www.wolverinestudios.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=305&t=30456
heyguise

Postby heyguise » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:36 am

The First Game
Monarchs @ Knights, 16-13
From Sports Center

Sage Steel - Camera 1: That pretty much wraps up the state of the MLB playoffs. Now, I want to introduce you to our newest colleague, WFL correspondent Damien Brown. Damien

<Cut to Damien Brown and the Frankfurt Knights Citadel. It’s a dreary drizzly day behind him.>

Damien - Camera 1: Thanks Sage. Well, it’s started. The first regular season of the WFL. Despite the rain the crowd turned out to see the opening game, Monarchs at the Knights. I talked to Monarch’s QB Peter Bostic before the game.

<Cut to Bostic in the locker room>

Bostic - Camera 1: You know, considering how we did in the preseason we are pretty confident about this. I think we’ve worked out all the kinks in our system and, you know, with a little luck I think things are looking pretty good.

<Cut back to Damien>

Damien - Camera 1: So, the story line for this one? Penalties. Penatlies. Penalties. The Monarchs managed to rack up 8 penalties costing them 55 yards. They still managed to take the game, in large part thanks to defensive player of the game FS Johnny Herring who, during the second quarter, intercepted a pass from Knights QB Jim Arriaga, returning it for a 68 yard TD, the only TD of the game. Offense props go to Knights WR Kirkpatrick who put up 120 receiving yards, averaging 24, on 6 receptions.

Damien - Camera 1: About his team's performance Monarch’s GM and HC Hiriam McDaniels said..

<Cut to press confrence. McDaniels stands behind a podium.>

Hiriam McDaniels - Camera 1: Well, chaps, I can’t say I’m too happy with our performance out there. We were not clean. We were sloppy. Still, we managed to scratch out the win. I chock this up to early season jitters, but we will be spending a bit of time drilling on discipline this week before we take on the Minute Men.

<Cut to Damien>

Damien - Camera 1: Back you Sage.
heyguise

Postby heyguise » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:51 am

Minute Men @ Monarchs, 24-17
From an email by Monarch’s LB John Heller to his wife Liz Heller

To: lizzyliz16@gmail.com
CC:
Subject: I got player of the game.

Hey cupcake. God I’m sore. We got beat. I’m sure you saw on TV. What you don’t know is I got defense player of the game on seven tackles and a sack for a ten yard loss. The league’s going to announce it soon. The worst part is, we almost had it. Then Bostic ran for a rush and sprained his knee so they brought on his backup Jeff Lively. It was the final two, all tied up, and we were driving down the field - coach wanted a field goal to end it - and Lively tossed the int that set up the Minute men to drive it home for the nail in the coffin.

You remember Norman Jones the WR I played with at Texas A&M. The Minute Men got him and he’s good as ever. He caught 7 and ran 123 yards. I think Mr. McDaniels is gunning to get him in a trade but the Minute Men probably won’t let him go.

Miss you. Kiss Sally for me. Will you be able to get up to London this week for the game against Cuba?

Your meathead,
Johnny.
heyguise

Postby heyguise » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:57 pm

The Rest of the Season and a Draft
From The Autobiography of Hiram McDaniels

After our third game loss to the Diablos it hit me that this wasn’t our season. I couldn’t get those other WRs I needed to make the RAF work. So I put the head coach in charge of play calling. Ultimately we went 4-6 that first season. During the draft I grabbed 2 top WR and a few steals at DE that didn’t get picked higher up. That draft we got:

#84 WR Kelly Mason, Boston College, OVR 80.
#89 WR Jonathon Whittle, out of Kansas State, OVR 79 but a-lot of potential.

I feel these boys may be the missing pieces.
heyguise

Postby heyguise » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:13 pm

The 2020 Season, 4 Weeks In
From 99.1, The Sport’s Take with Al Simpson & Katie Sparks

Sparks: I mean man, the Dragon’s are absolutely slaying this year. 3-0-1 and are just dominating.

Simpson: Sure, sure. But the Dragon’s won it all last year. You’re talking about a good team, surprise, surprise, being good.

Sparks: They’re good.

Simpson: But, let’s look at that one tie. Who tied them?

Sparks: The Monarchs.

Simpson: Yes! The Monarchs. They went 4-6 last year and this year, they drew last years champions to a tie.

Sparks: They’re only 2-1-1 this year.

Simpson: But let’s look at their stats. Their QB, Bostic, is number two in passing yards at 929 and tied for first in touchdowns with 8 while also having the highest passing rating of any QB in the league.

Sparks: They did improve their, but I think it’s the WR’s that you have to give the credit to. The Monarchs got those few new WR’s during the draft and added Wayne Stallings with a 1st round pick trade from the Kaiju.

Simpson: I agree, totally agree. I mean Bostic is killing it out their but as a team, man they’re hot. They’re number 2 in passing yards at 1008. In context the number one, the Cubanos, they are only 2 yards higher. They’re leading in passing touch downs, passing rating, number two in rushing, number one in total points by like more than 50 points. That RAF offense really is working. And they are ticking up the the power rankings, they’re at number 3 now with a rating of 2.09 compared to the Dragon’s 2.64.

Sparks: You think next week’s game against the Mounties is going to go in their favor?

Simpson: Absolutely. The Dragon’s are playing the Minute Men so, while the Dragon’s are favored a defeat isn’t impossible. Now the Kaiju are playing the Knights, and I think the Kaiju probably have that. But, it isn’t impossible for either team to loose. The Monarch’s though, they are playing the Mounties who aren’t the worst team in the league but they’re close. And they give up more passing yards - and remember the Monarch’s are all about the pass game - than any other team. So the Monarch’s are going to win baring a disaster and it’s likely either the Kaiju or the Dragon’s are going to loose. So I see the Monarch’s moving to number two in the league.

Sparks: Oh, sorry folks, we’re getting the signal to go to commercial. We’ll be back with callers in a minute.
heyguise

Postby AKH » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:14 am

nice
AKH

Return to DDS: Pro Football Dynasty Reports