XFL 2001

Re: XFL 2001

Postby BengalErnst » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:02 pm

Expect High Energy from New Maulers Head Coach Byron Leftwich

March 27, 2021

Pittsburgh, PA - New Pittsburgh Maulers coach Byron Leftwich is thrilled to be in the XFL. Leftwich, the former offensive coordinator and QBs coach under head coach Tony Dungy, takes over the helm as the head coach of the Maulers. "It's exciting," Leftwich said about his new job. "I love this team. I loved what we did last year and so just having the opportunity to be able to coach. I'm over-the-moon excited."

Leftwich retained all coaches that were with Dungy under contract on staff. "I see us being multiple on offense," Leftwich said. "I may be the only team that has a fullback. It's going to be different. We're going to be multiple, with a little slant on the West Coast offense and with some spread principles mixed in. What I've learned is you can't do everything. I can't be the water boy and the doctor. I've got to do a much better job of delegating stuff and not let stuff get to me and protect the staff. Everyday stuff is hard enough, but the staff must be good to work with and confident. That will get the players confident and ready to go. I just got to let the main thing be the main thing, control what you can control and all the rest will take care of itself. I'm always upbeat and want to be positive. I want to put out a good product. I want the guys to give everything they can and be the best they can be. I want them to feel good about their improvements and I want the coaches to have an opportunity to grow and develop."

XFL Moves to Prevent Game Cancellations Due to COVID-19

March 28, 2021

New York, NY - The XFL has introduced a policy that will apply to any game cancellations caused by COVID-19 issues. "Our goal is to ensure we have zero game cancellations due to issues caused by an outbreak of COVID-19 within our football operations," said XFL Commissioner Bill Polian. "While this policy spells out what will happen if cancellations do occur, its main purpose is to encourage all of our players to get fully vaccinated in order to minimize the risk to our season and, most importantly, their health and safety."

According to the policy, if a game cannot be played as scheduled because of COVID-19 issues, and it cannot be rescheduled. And one club is suffering from the COVID-19 issues, that club will forfeit the game and be assigned a loss while its' opponent will be credited with a win by a score of 1-0 and if both clubs are suffering from the COVID-19 issues, then both clubs will forfeit the game and be assigned a loss.

XFL Announces 2021 Ticket Prices

March 29, 2021

New York, NY - The XFL announced ticket prices for the 2021 regular-season at host stadiums. The XFL offers fans a fun and affordable stadium experience, selling individual game tickets for as low as $10. "The XFL is the best value in professional sports," said Russ Brandon, XFL President. "We know how important our XFL Football Family is and we know our fans feel the same way about their families. That's why it's so important for the XFL to make it affordable for families and friends to be able to enjoy our exciting games together in a fun atmosphere at all of our host stadiums."

"Access to a full season of major professional football in world-class venues ranging from $30 to $120 makes our season ticket packages a spectacular value," said Brett Zalaski, XFL Head of Ticket Sales and Services. "Fans will have unlimited ticket flexibility to exchange them, transfer them, or sell them. It's truly a fan-first offering that makes for a great experience."

XFL Will Launch Weekly Documentary Series on Fox

March 30, 2021

Birmingham, AL - The XFL won’t just kick off its 2021 season on April 2nd. It will also use the date to launch a new behind-the-scenes docuseries aimed at getting fans more interested in its spring football efforts. “United By Football,” a 13-episode documentary series produced by the league, NFL Films and Fox Sports, will try to give fans a feel for what happens as cadre of hopeful athletes compete in the XFL. Twelve more half-hour episodes will follow, one a week during the season. All the episodes will debut first on Fox, preceding most XFL game and pre-game coverage.

XFL Week 1:

April 2, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)
(): QB

XFL Week 1:

April 3, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 1:

April 4, 2021

Birmingham, AL -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 1: Lance Leads Showboats to Victory

April 5, 2021

Memphis, TN - The score at halftime was 6-3; neither team could get much going. The weather was playing a role; there were some embarrassing drops including a muffed punt return that probably wouldn’t have happened in more ideal conditions. The second half then happened and the offenses finally warmed up more. Both teams traded scores making it 14-11. The Showboats grabbed one more touchdown and the Stallions never responded. Despite the weather, it didn’t really stop the teams from leaning on their quarterbacks–particularly with the Showboats and rookie QB Trey Lance. Lance would certainly be a standout as he helped lead the team to a win by going 22-for-32 with 244 yards and one touchdown pass. However, WR Charles Johnson had arguably the biggest day as he pulled in nine catches for 105 yards. RB Akeem Hunt led the Showboats with 86 rushing yards and a touchdown on 19 carries.

There weren’t a lot of big standouts for the Stallions. QB Paxton Lynch, who went 16-for-22 and 161 yards, didn’t play badly but wasn’t particularly remarkable either. RB Matt Jones had a good day on the ground, though, getting 101 yards on 17 carries to lead both teams on the day. RB Christine Michael got in the end zone for the lone Stallions touchdown as well. The Showboats defense once again did play a good role in helping their team get the win. Although LB Perry Riley led the team with five tackles, DL Bjorn Werner would have to be the biggest standout as he got two sacks, one tackle for a loss and a forced fumble. DL Earl Okine also pitched in three tackles for a loss and one sack of his own. The Stallions defense did a decent job at holding the Showboats down for the first half although they gave way in the second half. LB Josh Banderas led the team with seven tackles, while LB Vontaze Burfict had two tackles for a loss (out of the team total of six). The only sack by the Stallions defense was split between DL Vic Beasley and DL Jarvis Jones.

-- (0-0)Stallions 11 - 20 Showboats(0-0)
(STL): QB Lynch - 16/22 161 yards, RB Jones - 17 carries, 101 yards, RB Michael - 16 carries, 66 yards, 1 TD, WR White - 6 catches, 75 yards
(MEM): QB Lance - 22/32 244 yards, 1 TD, RB Hunt - 19 carries, 86 yards, WR Johnson - 9 catches, 105 yards

XFL Week 1:

April 6, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)
Last edited by BengalErnst on Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:32 am, edited 17 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:03 pm

The Fan-Controlled Football League is Coming

June 7, 2021

Houston, TX - The Oklahoma City Stampede are only one game into their season and will take on the Houston Roughnecks in a moment of sports history. It’ll be the first time fans control the play-calling for both teams in the same game, as Project FANchise also owns the Roughnecks. It’s a moment worth noting, but Project FANchise's CEO Sohrob Farudi have even bigger ambitions: to create their own football league that re-thinks how a sports and entertainment company can operate in today’s technology-fueled world. Project FANchise would own all the teams and operate one arena that would host all games in the same place. The new league would utilize much of the technology already built for the Stampede and Roughnecks football teams.

Farudi explained that the initial vision was to turn traditional football into an interactive sport. “But what we’ve figured out is that we are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole,” he said. “This is a sport and a game that’s been around well before mobile phones were developed. There’s nothing about the game that was ever thought about in terms of the digital experience. What we’ve really come to understand is that if we really want to create the ultimate experience for fans, we need to reformat the game itself.”

Farudi described the Fan-Controlled Football League as a “league in a box.” The teams would all play in the same “studio,” with room for a field and around 1,000 fans. But much of the game will be driven by people outside of the complex. “The game is about the fan at home and the fans on mobile,” Farudi said.

XFL Week 2:

April 9, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 2:

April 10, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 2:

April 11, 2021

Birmingham, AL -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 2:

April 12, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 2: Guardians Bruise and Batter Alphas

April 13, 2021

Birmingham, AL - Only 17,000 people got to come out to watch the Atlanta Alphas and New York Guardians. The game promised to be one to remember for all those in attendance. The Guardians elected to take the ball first, as the home team elects to receive or defer, and had a terrific drive ending in a QB Josh Freeman to WR Charone Peake touchdown. The key play on the drive was a 4th and 4 conversion to TE Travis Beckum. The Alphas were able to respond by moving the ball over 4 minutes deep into Guardians’ territory only to have QB Aaron Murray get intercepted in the end zone by DB Tommie Campbell. Murray mostly struggled with his accuracy after this and the Alphas offense was frustrated over and over again. The first quarter went very quickly with both teams only possessing the ball two times. The second quarter started with a bang for the Guardians. After receiving a punt, QB Freeman would hit WR Brandon Burks on a 45-yard bomb, setting up a 12-yard touchdown pass to the former New York Giant, WR Rueben Randle. The Alphas would once again get into Guardian territory when QB Murray hit WR Josh Doctson for 44 yards, but the Alphas failed to gain more ground and stalled at the New York 32. K Cairo Santos would attempt a 50-yard field goal but would miss wide left. From this point on the teams battled in the middle of the field until K Lirim Hajrullahu hit a 49-yard field goal for New York as time expired in the first half, sending them into the locker room up 17-0.

The third quarter saw the Alphas change tactics and tried to run the ball more, featuring a good amount of Run-Pass Options and using more of RB Jeremy Hill. The Alphas really dominated the time of possession in the 3rd quarter. With the Guardians only getting eight total offensive plays. However, the Alphas were only able to show 3 points for their effort as they could not punch anything into the end zone. The 4th quarter started with the Guardians getting a single first down before having to punt. However, on Atlanta’s first play of the quarter, QB Murray would complete a pass to TE Ryan Hewitt, only to see him stripped and have DB Demetrious Cox jump on it. QB Freeman would then cash the turnover in with a TD pass to WR Burks. The game ended with the Guardians winning 24-3.

-- (0-0)Alphas 3 - 24 Guardians(0-0)
(ATL): QB Murray - 17/36 268 yards, RB Hill - 29 carries, 145 yards, WR Doctson - 6 catches, 123 yards, WR Higgins - 3 catches, 49 yards
(NY): QB Freeman - 19/29 252 yards, 3 TDs, RB Darkwa - 16 carries, 72 yards, WR Burks - 7 catches, 86 yards, 1 TD, WR Peake - 3 catches, 58 yards, 1 TD
Last edited by BengalErnst on Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 12 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:06 pm

Every XFL Players Live and Practice in North Texas

April 14, 2021

Arlington, TX - All the teams and their more than 400 players practice and live in North Texas. The St. Louis Stallions, who play home games at The Dome at America’s Center, practice at Vernon Newsom Stadium in Mansfield, Texas. “We really love this location, this field, this stadium,” Mike Martz San Diego Fleet head coach said. “It’s really been in line as if we’re in a training camp full time when you’re staying off campus life a pro team does.” The plan isn't permanent but it has helped the league survive the epidemic. “Everything that we do is right here in North Texas,” XFL Commissioner Bill Polian said. “We’re central here in North Texas, and we will be part of the fabric of this community for years to come.”

The players are put in hotel rooms across the area that the league pays for, which is about a $20,000 value on top of league salaries for the season. “I was in the league for five years, and probably three out of the five, I actually had my own place,” Dallas Renegades QB Landry Jones, said. Jones believes the hotel and bubble dynamic has helped brand new teams with camaraderie. “If you want to go eat, there’s no text, you just go knock on the door, ‘'hey you want to get something to eat? Oh I’ve already eaten,' ok knock on the next door,” Jones said. There’s a weight room set up at each site for players to use, too.

The two competing teams fly on the same chartered plane to games with one in the front and the other in the back and a few rows in the middle to buffer. The league says they haven’t had any issues yet. “It really hasn’t affected us at all,” Martz said. “The guys have been really receptive on the schedule week to week.”

XFL Week 3:

April 16, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 3:

April 17, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 3:

April 18, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 3: Lawrence outduels Lance

April 19, 2021

Birmingham, AL - Steel QB Trevor Lawrence threw five touchdown passes leading the Birmingham steel to a 42-25 victory against the Memphis Showboats. On this night, Showboats QB Trey Lance(18 for 37 for 234 yards) was no match for Lawrence. After tossing his fifth touchdown pass of the night, a perfectly placed jumped ball to WR L'Damian Washington from 24 yards out to make it 42-25 with 12:08 left in the fourth, QB Lawrence signaled touchdown and strolled to the sideline. The final score was lopsided, but it was far from easy for QB Lawrence and the Steel. After K Blair Walsh kicked a career-long 52-yard field goal for Memphis to make it 10-7, the Showboats sprung WR Braxton Miller on a 36-yard reverse for a score to make it 17-7 in the second quarter. It took the Steel 5:19 to wipe that out and take the lead with QB Lawrence and his favorite WR L'Damian Washington doing most of the damage. QB Lawrence hit WR Washington with a long ball to set up a RB Trent Richardson touchdown run from 3 yards out to make it 17-14. QB Lawrence and WR Washington hooked up for a 14-yard touchdown with 5:19 left in the second quarter and Steel fans erupted as their Iron took the lead for the first time, 21-17. They never looked back. "We have a great fan base that came out and supported us. We were going to keep putting in the work for them."

-- (0-0)Steel - Showboats(0-0)
(BIRM): QB Lawrence - 31/49 463 yards, 5 TDs, RB Richardson - 30 carries, 168 yards, 1 TD, WR Washington - 9 catches, 221 yards, 2 TDs, WR Jones - 9 catches, 106 yards, WR Foster - 5 catches, 54 yards, 1 TD
(MEM): QB Lance - 18/37 234 yards, 1 TD, RB Bibbs - 15 carries, 78 yards, 1 TD, WR Bryant - 5 catches, 76 yards, 1 TD

XFL Week 3:

April 20, 2021

Birmingham, AL -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL could Offer a Crucial Boost to CFL

April 21, 2021

New York, NY - Montreal Alouettes co-owner Gary Stern said talks with officials from the XFL could improve the CFL’s visibility and is happy to see discussions continuing about a potential future partnership. “If it keeps the CFL integrity and most of what we have intact, you’re talking about a much more global league, which can only be better than just Canada,” Stern. “The exposure is so much better than just being a Canadian league. That’s a straight business way of just looking at it. If it can’t happen we’re going to have a CFL that, we all know, needs some kind of reset and fixing.”

It has since been reported Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment LLC, the company that owns the Toronto Maple Leafs, Raptors, Argonauts and soccer club Toronto FC chairman Larry Tanenbaum is the most supportive about a future arrangement. If Tanenbaum is the driving force, Stern might well be a close second. But he doesn’t believe the CFL should sell its soul. “I’m not saying you move it ahead at all costs or we give up the CFL and everything it stands for,” said Stern who, along with his father-in-law, Sid Spiegel, purchased the Alouettes in 2020. “Am I happy playing three downs? I love that. I love its uniqueness. It would have to be something great for our league in order to trade that. I’d have to see the whole package, if the package ever happens.”

While a merger between the two leagues might occur, Stern reiterated the XFL isn’t considering purchasing or funding the CFL so it can operate in 2021 before no fans or reduced attendance. “Nothing in it for the XFL to buy the CFL out. They’re well-funded, well-versed and know what it takes to run a business,” Tanenbaum said. “The team they’ve assembled certainly knows a lot about running sports teams. I’ve been in business, these are real solid, good people. These are true professionals who know what they’re doing.”
Last edited by BengalErnst on Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:11 pm, edited 15 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:07 pm

XFL Week 4:

April 23, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 4:

April 24, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 4:

April 25, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 4: Walker Defeats Lawrence

April 26, 2021

Birmingham, AL - Brawlers QB PJ Walker connected with WR Cam Phillips on a 34-yard, go-ahead touchdown with 1:49 left in the fourth quarter, capping a 94-yard march and the Philadelphia Brawlers beat the Birmingham Steel, 29-23. Steel jumped out to a 16-0 lead in the first half and then responded to an Brawlers rally to retake the lead, 23-21 in the fourth quarter. Philadelphia got the ball down two at their own 6 with 3:07 left in the fourth quarter. Walker, after being up and down for much of the night, suddenly found his form. Philadelphia needed four plays and 1:18 with Walker completing all three of his passes and mixing in an 11-yard run. Walker passed for 259 yards and two scores and ran for a career-high 107 yards, including a 67-yard touchdown late in the first half. "Just the fight of this team. Didn't play great. Didn't look pretty, but just finding a way to get it done," Walker said. Walker added a 2-point conversion pass to Higgins but left plenty of time for Birmingham QB Lawrence to respond. The Steel drove to the 23, but on second-and-7, Lawrence fired to the end zone and was picked off by Philadelphia DB Stevie Brown with 37 seconds left. Steel WR TJ Jones had broken off his route thinking Lawrence was going to scramble. "That ball was supposed to go to me and I was supposed to run a post and I believe it would have been a touchdown. Definitely put it on me," Jones said.

Birmingham went into the fourth quarter trailing 21-16 and with everything seemingly going Philadelphia's way. Steel RB Trent Richardson ran for 114 yards, including two 30-plus yarders in the first half, but was slowed by a twisted left ankle late in the second quarter. Lawrence heated up and orchestrated an 84-yard drive, capped by a fourth-and-short, 23-yard touchdown pass to WR L'Damian Washington to give make it 23-21 with 11:46 left in the fourth.

-- (0-0)Brawlers 29 - 23 Steel(0-0)
(PHI): QB Walker - 18/33 259 yards, 2 TDs, RB Stacy - 16 carries, 98 yards, WR Phillips - 9 catches, 98 yards, 2 TDs, WR Coates - 6 catches, 47 yards
(BIRM): QB Lawrence - 30/46 320 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, RB Richardson - 25 carries, 114 yards, WR Washington - 9 catches, 104 yards, 1 TD, WR Jones - 6 catches, 67 yards

XFL Week 4:

April 27, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)
Last edited by BengalErnst on Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:13 pm, edited 10 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:13 pm

XFL Week 5:

April 30, 2021

Birmingham, AL -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 5:

May 1, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 5:

May 2, 2021

Birmingham, AL -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 5:

May 3, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 5: Lawrence Bounces Back

May 4, 2021

Birmingham, AL - Steel QB Trevor Lawrence has never lost two football games in a row in his life. Lawrence threw for 342 yards and two touchdowns as Birmingham rallied from 18-points down in the first half to defeat the Orlando Apollos 34-28. Steel RB Trent Richardson's touchdown put the Steel ahead for good. Steel was missing several key players. Starting LBs Larry Dean and Mark Barron were missing because of injuries. The Apollos took advantage, putting Birmingham in a 28-10 hole in the second quarter with the reduced crowd stunned to near silence. That's when Lawrence showed why he the projected number one overall prospect coveted by every NFL team. QB Lawrence threw a 30-yard TD to WR L'Damian Washington on Birmingham's opening third-quarter drive to begin the comeback then threw an 8-yard scoring strike to WR Robert Foster that drew the Steel within 28-26. That's when Richardson put the Steel in front for good with a 17-yard touchdown run with 11:34 to go. The Apollos got the ball back with 1:24 but QB Garrett Gilbert was called for intentional grounding in the end zone for an Steel safety, a fitting end to a second-half shutout by the Birmingham defense.

-- (0-0)Apollos 28 - 34 Steel(0-0)
(ORL): QB Gilbert - 13/25 208 yards, 2 TDs, RB Johnson - 24 carries, 72 yards, 1 TD, WR Johnson - 5 catches, 66 yards, 1 TD, WR Moncrief - 3 catches, 63 yards, 1 TD
(BIRM): QB Lawrence - 30/41 372 yards, 3 TDs, RB Richardson - 26 carries, 109 yards, 1 TD, WR Washington - 7 catches, 140 yards, 1 TD, WR Jones - 11 catches, 105 yards, WR Foster - 7 catches, 66 yards, 1 TD

XFL, CFL Reportedly Considering Playing Interleague Championship Game

May 5, 2021

New York, NY - The XFL and CFL could be headed for a long-term merger. In the short term, the two leagues are discussing interleague games and a potential championship game. According to Michael McCarthy of Front Office Sports, "Both leagues would play their regular seasons, there could be 'interleague' games, similar to MLB and once the respective XFL and CFL champions are crowned, they'd face off in an interleague championship game."

McCarthy added that the two leagues could potentially combine for an All-Star Game and that a merger is reportedly the "long-term objective."
Last edited by BengalErnst on Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:36 pm, edited 13 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:15 pm

XFL Week 6:

May 6, 2021

Memphis TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 6: Dallas a Different Team with Landry Jones Under Center

May 7, 2021

Memphis, TN - An unanswered 18-point run lifted the Dallas Renegades to a 24-12 win over the Seattle Dragons. Dallas QB Landry Jones (30-for-41, 274 yards, three touchdowns, two interceptions) hit TE Donald Parham for two touchdowns (from 10 and 65 yards out, respectively), but the Renegades truly put the game away by leaning on the run after halftime. RB Cameron Artis-Payne wound up with 110 rushing yards in another commanding performance. Dragons QB Geno Smith looked efficient with two first-half TD tosses but was stymied by the Renegades starting in the third quarter and while Seattle's run game again was strong (99 yards), it failed to sustain late drives.

Parham's role is growing in Offensive Coordinator Hal Mumme's Air Raid offense as he continues to pose matchup problems with his height and athleticism. He's been the most consistent option in a deep Renegades receiving corps, having averaged eight targets per contest so far. Posey returned to the game plan, going 6-81-1 on seven targets. His combined ability to sit down in coverage and find space in tight confines should keep him involved in the game plan most weeks. LB Steven Johnson is one of the XFL's emerging defensive dynamos, and he once again imposed his presence on opponents. He gathered 14 more combined tackles (nine solo), two tackles for a loss, and a pass defensed.

-- (0-0)Dragons 12 - 24 Renegades(0-0)
(SEA): QB Smith - 21/34 204 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, RB Rawls - 27 carries, 99 yards, WR Posey - 6 catches, 81 yards, 1 TD, WR Graham - 4 catches, 37 yards
(DAL): QB Jones - 30/41 274 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs, RB Artis-Payne - 21 carries, 110 yards, TE Parham - 5 catches, 101 yards, 2 TDs, WR Butler - 9 catches, 56 yards, 1 TD

XFL Week 6:

May 8, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 6:

May 9, 2021

Birmingham, AL -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 6:

May 10, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

PJ Walker thinks he has shown in the XFL that he’s an NFL-quality quarterback

May 11, 2021

Birmingham, AL - PJ Walker of the Philadelphia Brawlers is leading the XFL in passing yards this season and he believes his work in the alternative league should be getting attention from NFL teams. “I think I’m showing that I can lead a team, most importantly,” Walker said. “I’m showing that I can win games and finish in big situations. I think I’ve made a bunch of NFL throws with guys breathing down my neck.”

XFL players’ contracts allow them to sign with NFL teams for two months after the XFL season ends and Walker hopes he’ll be in an NFL training camp. “The reason I play in the XFL is to further my NFL career, and I hope I’ve turned some heads,” he said. “I can tell you there’s not 80 or 90 quarterbacks in the world who are better than me. I don’t think there’s 32 better than me.”
Last edited by BengalErnst on Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:12 pm, edited 14 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:18 pm

XFL Week 7:

May 13, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 7: Maulers Roughed-up by Brawlers

May 14, 2021

Birmingham, AL - A quiet first half and start to the third quarter was quickly forgotten in the second half. The Philadelphia Brawlers scored 21 straight points after the break to win 30-12 against the Pittsburgh Maulers. A RB Karlos Williams two-yard run, a WR Cam Phillips 80-yard catch-and-run and a DB Tanard Jackson 33-yard interception return all gave Philadelphia touchdowns to help them dominate. Pittsburgh struggled to generate big plays on offense as QB Matt McGloin didn't throw a touchdown pass and was intercepted twice. The Brawlers unexpectedly dominated on the ground, outgaining Pittsburgh 144-56. RB Karlos Williams led the way with 85 yards on 16 carries. LB Cameron Judge extended his league lead in sacks to 6.5 with a pair against Pittsburgh, he also had four QB hits, two tackles for a loss, and five combined wrap-ups. Philadelphia's pass rush prevented McGloin and Pittsburgh from having much time to let deep plays develop.

-- (0-0)Maulers 12 - 30 Brawlers(0-0)
(PIT): QB McGloin - 28/50 210 yards, 2 INTs, RB Prosise - 14 carries, 56 yards, WR Posey - 7 catches, 46 yards
(PHI): QB Walker - 16/30 229 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, RB Foreman - 15 carries, 58 yards, RB Williams - 16 carries, 85 yards, 1 TD, WR Phillips - 5 catches, 105 yards, 1 TD, WR Lodge - 3 catches, 67 yards, WR Coates - 3 catches, 46 yards, 1 TD

XFL Week 7:

May 15, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 7:

May 16, 2021

Birmingham, AL -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 7:

May 17, 2021

Birmingham, AL -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

Project FANchise put Teams up for Sale

May 20, 2021

Houston, TX - Project FANchise LLC CEO Sohrob Farudi, is putting the XFL teams, Houston Roughnecks and Oklahoma City Stampede, he has owned for seven months up for sale. The release assures that the team will finish the current campaign and that all contracts will be honored and bills paid at the conclusion of the season. He is working with the league on finding a new owner or owners for the franchises. “It has been a pleasure to be at the helm of these two XFL teams but I'm looking towards taking the game of football in a new direction."

XFL Week 8:

May 20, 2021

Birmingham, AL -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 8:

May 21, 2021

Birmingham, AL -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 8: Apollos Get Huge Win

May 22, 2021

Birmingham, AL - The Guardians' offense came out in the first quarter with beautiful efficiency, but their rhythm petered out as the game wore on. WR Brandon Burks established himself as one of the best deep threats on the Guardians offense with five receptions for 80 yards. Over the course of the game, WR Rueben Randle left yards on the field that could have put the Guardians in excellent position to keep this one from getting away from them. RB Orleans Darkwa was excellent in the first half, stepping up to score the first touchdown of the game for New York and posting a 16-carry, 106-yard game. The Guardians' defensive line was relentless throughout the first half, putting QB Garrett Gilbert under constant pressure and forcing him to get the ball out quickly and forcing poor play early in the game. Excellent play up front kept the Apollos from establishing a consistent run game, a boon for the Guardians. In the second half, the defensive front continued their valiant effort, notching several sacks and a strip-sack returned for a fumble.

Despite the Guardians defensive front’s efforts, when QB Gilbert had the time to choose his receiver, he took advantage of the Guardians' defensive backs to gash New York for big plays. The Apollos offense started the game slowly, but Gilbert really came alive in the second half, connecting again and again through wide open spaces in the Guardians' secondary on a blistering drive in the fourth quarter. But the true hero of the Apollos offense was WR Charles Johnson. Johnson had an NFL-ready performance with 192 yards and a touchdown on just seven receptions. WR Jalin Marshall was a close second in the race for offensive MVP with three receptions for 84 yards and a touchdown. Orlando’s defense stood up when it mattered, notably shutting down the Guardians on several red zone attempts. The Apollos sealed their win with DB Keith Reaser’s fourth-quarter interception returned for a touchdown off of QB Josh Freeman to make the score 37-29. DB Reaser had a phenomenal game with a team-high three passes defensed.

-- (0-0)Apollos 37 - 29 Guardians(0-0)
(ORL): QB Gilbert - 19/28 393 yards, 3 TDs, RB Johnson - 16 carries, 70 yards, 1 TD, WR Johnson - 7 catches, 192 yards, 1 TD, WR Marshall - 3 catches, 84 yards, 1 TD, WR Moncrief - 4 catches, 89 yards
(NY): QB Freeman - 22/43 226 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, RB Darkwa - 16 carries, 106 yards, 1 TD, RB Williams - 11 carries, 69 yards, WR Burks - 5 catches, 80 yards, WR Peake - 5 catches, 71 yards

XFL Week 8:

May 23, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 8:

May 24, 2021

Birmingham, AL -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

Former Ole Miss Star Breeland Speaks Embracing Opportunity with Oakland Panthers

May 25, 2021

Oakland, CA - Following a dominant college career at Ole Miss, Breeland Speaks was looking forward to making a similar impact at the NFL level. After being selected in the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs, Speaks made his presence felt right away, playing in all 16 games as a rookie with four starts, while recording 24 tackles and 1.5 sacks. But the following year, Speaks suffered an MCL sprain and meniscus tear during the preseason, which required season-ending surgery. It was Speaks' first major injury since he began playing football. The former Ole Miss standout was waived during final roster cuts the following season and bounced around from team to team over the next couple of years. He had stints with the Las Vegas Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants and Buffalo Bills, but after being released by the Bills in December 2020, Speaks didn't know where his football journey would take him next. After being away from the game for a year and not playing in a true game-setting since his preseason injury back in 2019, Speaks got a call from Steve Kazor, the general manager of the Oakland Panthers. "He told me the Panthers were looking for a guy to come up here and play defensive end," Speaks said. "I was surprised when he called, and once told him I was available he said, 'OK cool, let's roll. We'll send you a contract tomorrow.'"

Not knowing much about his new home or teammates, Speaks quickly recognized one name, Panthers head coach Jeff Fisher. "Being with him, it was honestly the right fit for me," Speaks said. "I can tell so far through the season that it actually has been the perfect fit for me with these guys just believing in me and my ability to play." Speaks wasted no time showing off that ability as the former Ole Miss star put together a dominant showing in Week 1 of the XFL season. He racked up three sacks, seven tackles and a forced fumble en route to being named the XFL's Week 1 Defensive Player of the Week. It's been much the same throughout this season as Speaks leads the XFL with seven sacks and ranks second in tackles with 39 heading into Week 8 of the season. Speaks credits his football instincts and his dedication to staying in game shape for his early success. "I run to the football. That's my key to victory. I always keep my motor running," Speaks said. "I want to make sure I'm in good enough shape to be able to play every snap if need be." While Speaks' short-term goal is to continue his success on the field and help lead the Panthers to a playoff berth, he does inspire to get back to the NFL one day. "That's the No. 1 goal," Speaks said. "With things I've done so far, I really feel like I've gained my confidence back to understand that yeah, I probably can play there."

The Charlotte Battlehawks will be Joining the XFL

May 26, 2021

Charlotte, NC -
Last edited by BengalErnst on Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:14 am, edited 20 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:23 pm

XFL Week 9:

May 27, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 9:

May 28, 2021

Birmingham, AL -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 9: Turpin's Heroics Lift Enforcers over Steel

May 29, 2021

Birmingham, AL -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

-- (0-0)(0-0)

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 9: Philadelphia Offensive Onslaught

May 30, 2021

Birmingham, AL - Philadelphia beat the Baltimore Brigade in this offensive onslaught. From the kick off to the final ticks in the 4th quarter the energy was electric. The Brawlers ended up on top 34-20 completely shutting down the Brigade in the second half. The game started off with a bang. On the third play of the game, QB PJ Walker tossed a 50 yard bomb to WR Cam Phillips. QB Bryce Perkins answered back with a 5 yard scramble to the left pylon with 7:49 left in the first quarter. Baltimore was successful in their 2-point conversion and had a 8-6 lead at the end of the first. The second quarter picked up exactly were the first left off. Perkins found WR DaVaris Daniels for a 11 yard TD with 9:26 left in the 2nd quarter. Walker and the Brawlers would not let that go unanswered. Walker and company put together a 5 play, 73 yard drive that was finished off by a 16 yard screen pass to WR DaMarkus Lodge for a touchdown. After a 14 play drive by the Brigade, K Corey Acosta booted a 35 yard field goal. However, Walker was not done putting on his 1st half offensive clinic. The Brawlers responded quick with a 39 yard touchdown catch by WR Sammie Coates. K Acosta then nailed a field goal right before the half to give the Brigade the halftime lead. The second half was all Brawlers. Walker fired a absolute dime to WR Jaelen Strong that set up a TE Jace Amaro score from 4 yards out. The Brawlers finished off the game with a RB D'Onta Foreman rushing touchdown to help them solidify their 34-20 win.

-- (0-0)Brigade 20 - 34 Brawlers(0-0)
(BAL): QB Perkins - 21/39 214 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, RB Taliaferro - 21 carries, 95 yards, WR Ross - 11 catches, 103 yards, 1 TD, WR Rogers - 6 catches, 58 yards
(PHI): QB Walker - 23/38 272 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT, RB Williams - 14 carries, 62 yards, WR Phillips - 9 catches, 63 yards, 1 TD, WR Coates - 4 catches, 67 yards, 1 TD, WR Lodge - 4 catches, 50 yards, 1 TD

-- (0-0)(0-0)

-- (0-0)(0-0)

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 9:

May 31, 2021

Memphis, TN -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 10: Gilbert leads Apollos into Playoffs

June 3, 2021

Birmingham, AL - QB Garrett Gilbert torched the Showboats secondary in the first quarter with a 70 yard and 50 yard touchdown passes to WR Jalin Marshall. After exchanging a few field goals and having a score of 17-6, Memphis QB Trey Lance finally found some rhythm in the late second quarter which resulted in a WR Shaq Evans 35 yard touchdown reception. The third quarter saw a lot of stout defense before RB Zac Stacy finally broke through with a 1 yard scamper to put the Showboats on top for the first time 20-17. QB Garrett Gilbert didn't take long to answer however and found the end zone at the end of a 52 yard bomb to WR Charles Johnson. QB Lance took Memphis down to the four yard line before having a ball bounce off the hands of WR Devin Lucien and into the waiting arms of Orlando DB Keith Reaser. QB Garrett Gilbert then orchestrated the perfect drive that took the last 6:23 off the clock and finished with a RB Antonio Andrews touchdown plunge to give the Apollos the 31-20 win.

-- (0-0)Showboats 20 - 31 Apollos(0-0)
(MEM): QB Lance - 23/32 301 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, RB Stacy - 25 carries, 158 yards, 1 TD, WR Evans - 7 catches, 87 yards, 1 TD, WR Gibson - 4 catches, 55 yards
(ORL): QB Gilbert - 30/40 413 yards, 3 TDs, RB Johnson - 14 carries, 62 yards, WR Marshall - 2 catches, 120 yards, 2 TDs, WR Johnson - 9 catches, 112 yards, 1 TD, WR Moncrief - 9 catches, 93 yards

XFL Week 10: Landry Jones Left Early and Took Renegades' Chances With Him

June 4, 2021

Memphis, TN - San Diego QB Josh Johnson took the Fleet down the field and hit WR DaVaris Daniels for a 6 yard touchdown pass on the first possession of the game and then Renegades QB Landry Jones looked to be doing the same of what looked to be a shoot out but it wasn't meant to be. After getting his team down to the 18 yard line, Fleet DL Shawn Oakman hit QB Jones right on the knee that ended the signal caller's day. QB John Wolford entered the game and threw his first pass right into the arms of Fleet' DB Ahmad Dixon and that would prove to be foreshadowing for the rest of the afternoon as Wolford couldn't get much of anything to go right for the team from Dallas. After being up 27-3 at halftime, Fleet head coach Scott Milanovich pulled off the dogs and just ran out the clock in the second half to show mercy.

-- (0-0)Renegades 6 - 30 Fleet(0-0)
(DAL): QB Jones - 7/20 89 yards, 2 INTs, RB Artis-Payne - 21 carries, 56 yards, WR Butler - 4 catches, 45 yards
(SD): QB Johnson - 21/30 243 yards, 3 TDs, RB Ware - 10 carries, 50 yards, 1 TD, WR Daniels - 9 catches, 110 yards, 1 TD, WR Jenkins - 5 catches, 64 yards

XFL Week 10: No Lawrence, No Problem

June 5, 2021

Birmingham, AL - A severe rainstorm landed down in Birmingham and there may be no two teams better equipped for such weather conditions but QB Tahj Boyd, replacing QB Trevor Lawrence, who sat out with the playoffs already guaranteed and the Birmingham Steel would win the day. The leg of K Alex Henery had the Steel up 9-0 at halftime. Brigade QB Brett Hundley took the first drive of the 2nd half down the field and found WR Paul Richardson for a thirteen yard score that cut the game to 9-7 but that would be the last of Baltimore's offense. The Steel controlled the clock and sealed the game with a early 4th quarter rushing score from four yards out by RB Trent Richardson.

-- (0-0)Brigade 7 - 16 Steel(0-0)
(BIRM): QB Boyd - 7/19 98 yards, RB Richardson - 32 carries, 131 yards, 1 TD, WR Washington - 3 catches, 42 yards
(BAL): QB Hundley - 12/21 164 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, RB Anderson - 24 carries, 98 yards, WR Richardson - 3 catches, 49 yards, 1 TD

-- (0-0)(0-0)

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 10:

June 6, 2021

Birmingham, AL -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

-- (0-0)(0-0)

-- (0-0)(0-0)

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 10: Kaepernick Shouldn't Be Forgotten

June 7, 2021

Memphis, TN - After only trading field goals in the first quarter, the action really picked up in the second when Stallions QB Paxton Lynch found WR Kevin White down the right sideline for a 48 scoring strike that gave the Stallions the 10-3 lead. However, Los Angeles QB Colin Kaepernick and the Breakers would respond with back to back touchdown drives to make it a 17-10 game at the half. To start the third quarter, QB Kaepernick again found WR Martavis Bryant in the back of the end zone and after a St. Louis field goal, QB Kaepernick only needed one play on the next drive where he hit WR Braxton Miller for a 79 yard touchdown pass. With the game now 31-13 going into the 4th, Stallions head coach Jeff Fisher opened up the playbook and it nearly brought his team all the way back. RB Christine Michael first scored on a 7 year trot, before backfield mate RB Matt Jones hit a 58 yard homerun on the next drive to make the game 31-28. But just like he had the whole game, QB Kaepernick came up huge once again with a game sealing 39 yard touchdown pass to TE Marcus Baugh. The Stallions didn't give up and added a QB Lynch to TE Nick Truesdell touchdown pass but would fall short on the scoreboard, 38-35.

-- (0-0)Stallions 35 - 38 Breakers(0-0)
(STL): QB Lynch - 21/33 268 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, RB Jones - 22 carries, 155 yards, 1 TD, RB Michael - 11 carries, 46 yards, 1 TD, WR White - 12 catches, 132 yards, 1 TD, TE Truesdell - 4 catches, 58 yards, 1 TD
(LA): QB Kaepernick - 28/41 406 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT, RB Bibbs - 19 carries, 92 yards, RB Ballage - 12 carries, 53 yards, 1 TD, WR Bryant - 8 catches, 90 yards, 2 TDs, WR Miller - 2 catches, 86 yards, 1 TD

United Steelworkers, XFL players file petition for representation election

June 8, 2021

New York, NY - The United Steelworkers announced that the players in the XFL have voted in favor of union representation in an election conducted by the National Labor Relations Board. USW, which is based in Pittsburgh but represents 850,000 employees across various different industries, filed a petition for representation election in coordination with the United Football Players Association on behalf of the 1560 XFL players.

Trace Adkins to Perform Live at XFL Playoffs

June 9, 2021

Canton, OH - Multi-platinum entertainer Trace Adkins is helping the XFL kick off its first-ever postseason in Canton, Ohio, performing live between games during the playoff double-header on June 11. Bringing his own kind of hits to Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton, Adkins will take the field as a new generation of pro football begins. "I'm really honored to be a part of this," shares Adkins. "I've been watching the games this year, I've been thrilled with what I've seen, the rule changes that you guys have implemented, for me, it's made everything more exciting and I'm like why haven't we been doing this forever? It's just great. I've enjoyed every aspect of the game. I'm very proud to be associated with the XFL."
Last edited by BengalErnst on Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:08 am, edited 22 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:26 pm

XFL Names 2021 All-League Team

June 10, 2021

New York, NY - Heading into the playoffs in Canton, Ohio, the XFL announced All-XFL Team. From a league of nearly 1600 players, 25 were selected because of their consistently exceptional on-field play that inspired millions of football fans across America and around the world.

XFL Quarter-Final: Apollos and Brawlers Put on Offensive Show

June 11, 2021

Canton, OH - The two teams wasted absolutely no time getting after it offensively. QB Garrett Gilbert and the Orlando Apollos won the toss, took the ball and wasted very little time in going to the air. QB Gilbert finalized the opening drive with a 9 yard touchdown pass to WR Donte Moncrief but missed the extra point setting the score at 6-0. QB PJ Walker quickly returned the favor as he led his team down near the red zone before RB D'Onta Foreman scored from 22 yards out. After a quick three and out, on three straight incompletions, QB Walker got the ball back and went right back to work. QB Walker hit WR Jaelen Strong across the middle for fifteen yards before going over the top to WR DaMarkus Lodge for 29 yards down the sideline to make the game 14-6. QB Gilbert found his accuracy on his third drive of the game as he went 6/6 for 67 yards on the drive before having RB Akeem Hunt find the end zone from three yards out. Orlando K Younghoe Koo then missed another extra point to leave the score at 14-12 QB Walker wasn't done with the first quarter as he found WR Cam Phillips for a 20 yard score to make the score 21-12 at the end of the first. After a 33 yards field goal from K Koo, QB Walker kept the offensive onslaught going when he found WR Sammie Coates on a 12 yard slant score. QB Gilbert then hit WR Charles Johnson for a 27 yard post to bring the score to 28-22. The defenses then finally settled into the game. Both teams would stay off the scoreboard for the rest of the 2nd quarter.

The third quarter saw the pace slow down drastically on the offensive side of the ball where both teams landed two Field Goals a piece making the score 34-28 going into the final stanza. Finally, in the fourth quarter, one of the offenses made a mistake. QB Walker looking for WR Sammie Coates down the sideline on 3rd and 12 had his pass intercepted by Orlando DB Jalen Collins on a jump ball. Seizing the momentum and with the Houston defense being warn down, the Apollos turned to their run game. RBs Hunt and Antonio Andrew combined for 43 yards on the last drive on ten carries, that set up K Koo for the game winning 45 yard field goal.

-- (0-0)Apollos 35 - 34 Brawlers(0-0)
(ORL): QB Gilbert - 30/48 355 yards, 2 TDs, RB Johnson - 17 carries, 85 yards, 2 TDs, WR Johnson - 6 catches, 113 yards, 1 TD, WR Marshall - 9 catches, 103 yards, WR Moncrief - 8 catches, 76 yards, 1 TD
(PHI): QB Walker - 31/46 423 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT, RB Foreman - 21 carries, 71 yards, 1 TD, WR Phillips - 4 catches, 72 yards, 1 TD, WR Lodge - 4 catches, 71 yards, 1 TD, WR Coates - 6 catches, 69 yards, 1 TD

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Quarter-Final: Steel Move on

June 11, 2021

Canton, OH - With the score sitting at 17-7 in the late third with Birmingham on top, Orlando seized the moment and took the game. QB Garrett Gilbert hit TE Ben Koyack for a 6 yard score to make it a one possession game. Birmingham backup RB LaDarius Perkins caught a screen pass, and went 18 yards before Apollos' LB Terrance Garvin hit him from behind and caused a fumble that fellow LB Perry Riley scooped up to end the third quarter. QB Gilbert would turn the turnover into a quick touchdown when he found WR Jalin Marshall for a 9 yard score and the team's first lead. Now trailing, 21-17 Birmingham QB Tahj Boyd found Orlando's DB Jalen Collins with his first interception of the game. Orlando K Younghoe Koo would add 3 points before giving the ball back to QB Boyd. QB Boyd would put together a nice drive before once again having a pass land in the arms of a Apollos' defender, this time it was DB Keith Reaser who snagged the errant pass. QB Gilbert would then put the game away with a picturesque drive that took the remaining 8:08 off the clock and ended with a 1 yard plunge from backup RB Antonio Andrews.

-- (0-0)Guardians 17 - 31 Steel(0-0)
(NY): QB Freeman - 28/39 310 yards, 1 TDs, 1 INT, RB Hunt - 12 carries, 52 yards, WR Johnson - 6 catches, 78 yards, 1 TD, WR Marshall - 7 catches, 77 yards, 1 TD, WR Moncrief - 5 catches, 66 yards, 1 TD
(BIRM): QB Lawrence - 15/28 171 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, RB Richardson - 31 carries, 121 yards, 1 TD, WR Washington - 4 catches, 48 yards

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Semi-Final: Steel Reach Final

June 18, 2021

Canton, OH - In what wound up being an insurance touchdown, Steel QB Trevor Lawrence rushed into the end zone to cement a 31-17 victory over the Orlando Apollos to send the Birmingham Steel to the Veterans Bowl. The win reflected the workmanlike, steel-driving image the Steel have created for themselves in Birmingham, Alabama, a city as renowned for its once-thriving railroad industry as the quality of football played there. While the game ended with a 14-point margin, it didn't always look like the Steel would pull away from the Apollos. After Smith dropped the snap on the opening drive, K Brandon Aubrey was forced to attempt a long field goal. He missed it. The Apollos took advantage of the break in serve and marched down the field with their trademark, up-tempo offense. QB Garrett Gilbert making short, easy throws to start, with a mix of RB Jordan Ellis to keep the Birmingham defense off balance. That mixture led to Orlando scoring first when Ellis walked into the end zone for a 7-0 lead. Smith and the passing offense found a spark nearing the second quarter when Orlando opted to run man-coverage across the back end and Smith beat it with a toss to WR Osirus Mitchell to help tie the score at 7-7 with 14:55 left in the half. After Gilbert made the decision to throw the ball as he was getting hit, LB DeMarquis Gates waited for what felt like a full quarter for the ball to drop into his hands. He rolled backward end-over-end, stood up and hitched his wagon to a convoy being pulled by Steel defenders as he galloped toward the end zone.

After the Apollos tied up the game at 14-14 on a dynamic fourth-and-4, WR Victor Bolden took the Apollo's kickoff back to the house for the first special teams touchdown of the game, putting the Stallions ahead 21-14. The Apollos channeled their inner Steel in the third quarter when they absolutely milked a 17-play 74-yard drive that ate up 9:10 of the third quarter and came away with three points, closing the deficit to 21-17. The Steel answered with their own field goal to make their lead seven again with just over 12 minutes remaining in the game. Birmingham continued to eat clock in the fourth quarter, though, eventually chewing away any time the Apollos might have left to get two touchdowns, even if they had a chance to use the fourth-and-12 option in lieu of an onside kick if they scored.

-- (0-0)Steel 31 - 17 Apollos(0-0)
(BIRM): QB Lawrence -
(ORL): QB Gilbert -

XFL Semi-Final: The Breaks went Los Angeles' Way

June 19, 2021

Canton, OH - The Los Angeles Breakers took a fourth-quarter lead over the Chicago Enforcers after WR Maurice Alexander Jr. took a punt to the house for a 87-yard touchdown. Breakers QB Colin Kaepernick thought it was one of the better and more important plays he's ever seen from a teammate. "It's one of the greatest football plays and kind of one-ups I've ever seen," Kaepernick said. "He watches KaVontae Turpin do a great job running one back and says, 'Hold my beer.' It's pretty cool that he was able to do that."

As the punt rolled toward Turpin, he waved off his teammates, thinking it would roll dead. But then the ball took an awkward bounce right into Turpin's hands, and it was Turpin Time. He ran around, through and over the Los Angeles punt team like turpentine on old paint, 78 yards to house to give the Enforcers a 14-10 lead with 10:30 left to play. It was the second time he returned a punt for a touchdown this season. In the second quarter, LB Mazzi Wilkins picked off Chicago QB JT Barrett on the four-yard line and picked up a convoy as he returned it all the way to the 13-yard line. A hit by LB Ralph Holley on Barrett, however, was briefly flagged for roughing the passer but after review, the laundry was lifted off the carpet and Wilkins' 75-yard return was allowed to stand. Two plays later, Kaepernick counted the box and saw there were just five men in front of him. He took the snap, made himself a meal and walked into the end zone to put the Stars ahead 10-0 with 9:29 left in the half. "That was a lucky play," Kaepernick said. "I got the double-team from the offensive line, and I just needed to walk in there."

With QB De'Andre Johnson in for the Enforcers, Riley dialed up an out-and-up against man-coverage that WR Darius Shepherd caught for 63 yards to put Chicago inside the red zone. Patrick eventually punched it in to pull Chicago within 10-7 with 9:51 left in the third. Then things got exciting late. After Turpin's punt return touchdown, the Breakers responded with a scoring drive to cut the Enforcers' lead to 14-13 with 5:55 left to play. The game looked tailored for the Enforcers to use their No. 1 rushing offense to run out the clock but Alexander would have none of it. He saw "Turpin Time" and raised him a "Hard Time" - 87 yards straight to the Veterans Bowl.

-- (0-0)Enforcers 14 - 19 Breakers(0-0)
(CHI): QB Barrett -
(LA): QB Kaepernick -

Pro Football Hall of Fame unveils new XFL exhibit ahead of Veterans Bowl at Benson Stadium

June 23, 2021

Canton, OH - The XFL is now part of history. Just 48 hours before kicking off the championship game, the Pro Football Hall of Fame opened a exhibit of the XFL as it prepares to conclude its 2021 season. Among the items from the current roster of the finalists are Brawlers PJ Walker’s jersey, Orlando's QB Garrett Gilbert’s towel and Breakers QB Colin Kaepernick’s game cleats. A Stars' play sheet, autographed by their former head coach Al Luginbill, also was displayed to the public. League officials, media partners and football fans all came together for the exhibit. Eric Shanks, the CEO and executive producer of Fox Sports, was part of the ribbon-cutting ceremony and was thrilled how the XFL games performed all season. “This league started because of the love for football and for anyone who plays the game, coaches the game, has anything to do with the game, this is where you want to end up,” Shanks said. “To be able to cut the ribbon on this exhibit here today is a proud moment for everybody at the XFL and it’s just the beginning of a new legacy of football in this country and also here in Canton.”

Hall of Fame President Jim Porter said the decision to open the XFL exhibit to the public was a collective effort from all parties. Porter looks forward to working with the XFL as it continues to grow its brand. “Everybody just came together and said boy, this is awesome to have their 2021 championship here and it’s a historic season and we tell the story of the historic seasons of professional football,“ Porter said. Porter mentioned how impressed he was with the viewership of the XFL games. “The television numbers were really impressive. America loves football. Having another season of it, how can that be bad,” Porter said. “We’re proud of what the XFL has done.”

The league expects to have at least 25,000 fans at Benson Stadium for the title game. XFL Commissioner Bill Polian believes the fans who are not too familiar with the league will feel nostalgic about the game. He also expects the fan base, especially in the Northeast Ohio area, to enjoy the quality of the game. Polian thinks the XFL showcases quality football players who have not taken the next step yet to the NFL. He added, "We’re going to put on a great show for them on Sunday.”

XFL Veterans Bowl: Steel Ride to XFL Title Behind

June 25, 2021

Canton, OH - With Birmingham's starting QB Trevor Lawrence leaving the game with a little over two minutes left in the third quarter due to a leg cramp, backup Tahj Boyd led the Steel on the game-deciding drive. However, Boyd first had to overcome throwing the first interception of the game, a pass that was bobbled by RB CJ Marable before ending up in the arms of Breakers LB Jordan Moore. Following the turnover, McGough returned to the sideline for an animated back-and-forth with Holtz. "Things got a little dicey," Boyd said afterward. "He just kind of brought me over, took me through the play and what he was thinking. I was telling him what I was thinking and then he just said we're going to win this game and that kind of put it into perspective of, 'Hey, next play.'" Holtz said he told his quarterback to focus on the present and to not worry about what had happened in the past. "I told him to just calm down and play within the system, and you're going to be great," Holtz said. "And that's what he did."

With his team trailing by three points, Boyd led the Steel on a 64-yard scoring drive, capped by an 8-yard touchdown to WR Victor Bolden Jr. on a back-shoulder fade for a 26-23 lead that the Stallions would never relinquish. "This is probably the biggest award that I've gotten, and it means the world to me," Bolden said. The Breakers double-covered Bolden most of the game, allowing fellow WR Marlon Williams to also have a big game, finishing with seven catches for 105 yards and a score. Case Cookus played well for the Stars, completing 17 of 29 passes for 222 yards and three scores. However, Cookus suffered a broken fibula midway through the fourth quarter, giving way to backup K.J. Costello. Costello promptly threw an interception that Los Angels LB Scooby Wright took back 46 yards for a score, giving Birmingham a 10-point lead. On the ensuing drive, Costello found Chris Rowland for a 12-yard touchdown, cutting Birmingham's lead back to three points. However, Birmingham DB Christian McFarland sealed the game with an interception with 16 seconds left.

Scarbrough finished with 135 yards on 13 carries, including a long, 69-yard run that set up a Brandon Aubrey 28-yard field goal, giving Birmingham a 20-9 advantage at halftime. "Bo brings a heavy presence," Holtz said. "And this was the type of game, with safeties coming downhill and the way they were trying to take away Victor over the top, and they started to try and take away Marlon. And that left a huge hole in the middle of the field. All he had to do is make one man miss, and there was green grass in front of him. And Bo did that tonight."

-- (0-0)Steel 33 - 30 Breakers(0-0)
(BIRM): QB Lawrence -
(LA): QB Kaepernick -

XFL Mega Bowl:

July 2, 2021

New York, NY -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL and CFL will Not Merge

July 13, 2021

New York, NY - The XFL and CFL will no longer be pursuing a partnership in the short-term and both leagues agreed to move forward separately. “Our talks with the XFL, exploring the potential for collaboration and innovation, have been positive and constructive," CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie. "While we remain open to finding new ways to work together in the future, we and our XFL counterparts have jointly decided to not pursue any formal arrangements at this time."

"While our discussions with the CFL did not ultimately lead to a collaboration, the effort reinforced our belief and commitment to further develop the XFL for international spring football," said XFL commissioner Bill Polian.

Toronto Argonauts could still Land in the XFL, Eventually

July 18, 2021

Toronto, ONTARIO, CANADA - Lingering questions regarding the CFL’s Toronto Argonauts include the possibility that the Argonauts will join the XFL for the 2022 season. Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment LLC owns the Argonauts, a team that has existed for 148 years. MLSE became the primary catalyst for the XFL conversations, as a way to rectify franchise operating losses of $12 million per year. A sale of the team could happen, too. Regardless, as the CFL prepares to return after a lost season due to the pandemic, it could be losing a team or teams to the XFL, in time.

XFL will be Returning to Mexico City for the 2022 season

July 28, 2021

Mexico City, MEXICO -

Stampede and Roughnecks Purchased

July 29, 2021

Oklahoma City, OK - Vince McMahon and the XFL didn't hold a press conference for the new ownership groups of the Oklahoma City Stampede and the Houston Roughnecks but both teams have been purchased.

The Houston Roughnecks have been purchased by Jim Crane and Crane Capital Sports LLC. Crane is the owner and chairman of the Major League Baseball's Houston Astros to go along with running Crane Worldwide Logistics and Crane Freight and Shipping. Crane purchased the Houston Roughnecks for $12.5M and will also be responsible for player salaries, staff salaries, and stadium leases.

The Oklahoma City Stampede have been purchased by Chuck Greenberg and Greenberg Sports Group LLC, a company he created back in 2008. Greenberg and Greenberg Sports Group LLC previously owned MLB's Texas Rangers from 2010 to 2011 and currently own two minor league baseball teams, the Myrtle Beach Pelicans and Frisco Roughriders. Greenberg has had a long time friendship with XFL owner Mark Cuban. The two grew up together in Pittsburgh, PA, were neighbors and went to church together. Cuban said that Greenberg, "puts the fan first, and he likes to make sure they have fun. I think he's going to be great for the XFL and I told him that I couldn't wait to work with him again." Greenberg and Greenberg Sports Group LLC also bought the Stampede for $12.5M.
Last edited by BengalErnst on Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:42 am, edited 23 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:27 pm

Year Twenty-One Financial Report Released

August 1, 2021

New York, NY -

"We are pleased with our overall financial results for 2021," said Owner Vince McMahon. "It is a testament to the continued support of our season ticket members, corporate partners, and fans. The COVID-19 pandemic and the related restrictions that were implemented in 2020 had a detrimental impact on the league. With the support of our community, the league was able to weather this storm, get back on the field for our incredible fans."

European League of Football Launched

August 2, 2021

Hamburg, GERMANY - SEH Sports & Entertainment LLC has unveiled plans for the European League of Football (ELF) in a bid to capitalize on the growing popularity of the sport in Central Europe. The company, which was set up by Zeljko Karajica, the former managing director of German broadcaster ProSiebenSat.1, is looking to launch the new eight-team competition next June.

Franchises in the German cities of Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg and Stuttgart have so far been confirmed as well as Poland’s Wroclaw Panthers. A further team is set to be added. Following its inaugural 2022 season, SEH plans to expand the ELF by inviting teams from other nations, eventually leading to 20 teams competing from ten countries. Karajica has been named chief executive of the league. He will be joined by former football player and current coach Patrick Esume in running the competition.

“The ELF is managed by a professional franchise system and we are convinced that the time is right for a top European league,” said Karajica. “The interest in American football is growing from year to year, especially in Germany. We offer fans a highly attractive product during the NFL-free period. With the kick-off in April 2022, we will present the ELF as a brand in the media and offer the games to a wide audience on both analogue and digital channels. Playing by NFL rules gives us the opportunity to put a more exciting product onto the gridiron, but also opens up the possibility to look for a close alliance to the NFL in regards to player and referee development.”

CFL not Closing the Door on Resumption of XFL Partnership talks

August 4, 2021

Toronto, ONTARIO, CANADA - The focus remains on the 2021 season but CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie hasn’t closed the door on partnership talks with the XFL. “We both decided and agreed that we would go back to our respective businesses and focus on our own leagues, for now,” Ambrosie said. “We haven’t set any plans to reconnect. But because the relationship was positive, the door was left open for the possibility that we talk again down the road. But today and for the foreseeable future, it’s all CFL all the time.”

Ambosie wouldn’t divulge what was discussed between the two leagues but said no stone was left unturned. “It would be disingenuous to suggest that we didn’t talk about everything,” he said. “Now, we’ve got our game, our league and our own future to navigate and I think that’s going to mean having conversations about how do we take our league to the next level? How do we grow the game? How do we double, then double again and double again our success? We’ll have an opportunity for consultation with our stakeholders, our fans, with amateur football, with university football because we don’t need to grow the CFL, we need to grow football in Canada. We need to make our game stronger.”

CFL Unlikely to Play in 2021

August 16, 2021

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada - The CFL, once again, will not be getting an interest-free loan from the Canadian government. The two sides have been talking since last August after the Canadian Football League closed the door to their 2020 season. According to CFL expert Rod Peterson, sources are telling him it is 60/40 that there WILL NOT be a CFL season in 2021. “There are some teams very low on cash, very. I wouldn’t put the Toronto Argonauts in that category, nor the Calgary Stampeders. But these community-owned teams have lost millions and millions. So what’s going on in the CFL right now? There are some teams that I have no idea how they’re keeping the lights on. I have no idea.”

Peterson believes the CFL are talking about a possible merger with the newly formed European League of Football if talks with the XFL continues to stall. The CFL and it's eleven franchises; Montreal Alouettes, Toronto Argonauts, Edmonton Football Team, Ottawa RedBlacks, Calgary Stampeders, BC Lions, Atlantic Schooners, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Hamilton Tiger-cats, Detroit-Windsor Muscle and Saskatchewan Roughriders remain in limbo. “Well, I’m hearing next year, but I don’t know how that’s possible, I would think 2023.”

The Toronto Jousters have Joined the XFL

August 20, 2021

Toronto, Ontario, Canada - To end the speculation of the last few weeks, Bill Manning and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment LLC have announced that they were granted an XFL expansion franchise for the 2022 season. Bill Manning announced the team as the Toronto Jousters and that they would be led by former University of Georgia and University of Miami head coach Mark Richt. Former Toronto Argonauts Head Coach Ryan Dinwiddie would serve as the offensive coordinator while former Argonauts general manager Michael Clemons would also be joining the staff in the same capacity. Former University of Miami head coach Al Golden was named as the defensive coordinator. James Coley, Jarious Jackson and Jon Richt also were named to the staff as the Tight Ends Coach, QBs Coach and WRs Coach, respectively.

The Jousters will be playing their home games at BMO stadium. Manning did say that other former Argonauts would also be joining the Jousters such as QBs Nick Arbuckle and Kelly Bryant, RB John White, WRs Keyarris Garrett, Kendall Wright, and Eric Rogers, OL Shane Richards, DL Charleston Hughes, Cordarro Law and Dwayne Hendrix, LBs Odell Willis and Bear Woods, DBs James Sample, Shaquille Richardson and Stanley Jean-Baptiste, K Boris Bede and LS Jake Reinhart.

XFL Founder Vince McMahon then took the stage and announced that the XFL would be playing the 2022 season with 30 teams. The Toronto Jousters are number 29 and the other team would be announced later this offseason. McMahon said the new additions were first class football minds with first rate talent, placed in first rate cities that will allow the league to take another step towards legitimacy. He finished by saying the league was working with former CFL television provider, TSN, on a two game weekly broadcast deal as well. "The more eyes on our league, the better. We're here to stay."

Jacksonville Jaguars signed TE Tim Tebow

August 21, 2021

Jacksonville, FL - Tim Tebow's return to the NFL became official. Tebow signed a one-year deal worth $920,000, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. It's no surprise, of course, seeing as Tebow hasn't played in a regular-season NFL game since 2012, but since he's getting a last chance at reviving his NFL career with his former college coach, Urban Meyer, who watched him play at a high level for the San Antonio Commanders of the XFL last year.

Crusaders, Defenders and Bolts to play home games at Hall of Fame Village in Canton, Ohio

August 22, 2021

Canton, OH - The London Crusaders, Cologne Defenders and Berlin Bolts will play their 2022 home games at Hall of Fame Village in Canton, Ohio, the XFL announced. The space will also host the Eastern conference championship game in late June, plus the XFL championship game in July. Hall of Fame Village previously hosted XFL postseason games last year. “The XFL is excited that the Crusaders, Defenders and the Bolts will practice and play games in Canton during the 2022 regular season,” Brian Woods, the XFL executive president of football operations said. “The outstanding regional support we received during our first postseason from football fans in Ohio and Pennsylvania, coupled with our successful partnership with the Hall of Fame Village, led to this moment.”

“As the XFL works to eventually move the Crusaders, Defenders and Bolts back to Europe, playing the 2022 regular season games in Canton presents an incredible opportunity for fans throughout the region to check us out and see first-hand the high-quality professional football being played in the XFL.”

XFL Hires Mike Nolan as Vipers Head Coach

August 25, 2021

Mexico City, MEXICO - The XFL announced that NFL veteran coach Mike Nolan has been hired as head coach of the Mexico City Vipers. Nolan, 63, was head coach of the San Francisco 49ers from 2005-2008, and has held numerous coaching positions for 11 NFL franchises, mostly on defense. "We are honored to welcome Mike Nolan to the XFL family as the new head coach of the Mexico City Vipers," said Bill Polian, XFL commissioner. "When we confirmed that the XFL would be returning to Mexico City, we immediately started the challenging process to find another experienced, charismatic leader to lead them while creating excitement for the players and fans. Mike was the perfect fit for that role."

"I am very excited to join the XFL," Nolan said. "Playing great football and competing at a high level is what the Vipers are going to be about. It will take a loud and rabid fan base to help us get there. Our goal with the Vipers is to play with energy and pride for the entire country we represent. I want our fans to be proud to root for the Vipers. As the son of a coach, I was blessed to be around the game and football players for all of my life. I love the game, but more importantly, I love the relationships that are created when competing for a common goal. My staff and I look forward to getting to work and beginning the process to make the Vipers the top team in the XFL."

The XFL Lands in Montreal

September 3, 2021

Montreal, QUEBEC, CANADA - Gary Stern along with S and S Sportsco LLC announced that they were granted a 2022 XFL expansion franchise and that the team would be known as the Montreal Monarchs. Spiegel then introduced former University of Washington Huskies head coach, Chris Peterson, as the Monarchs first head coach. Peterson then took the stage and announced his offensive and defensive coordinators. Former University of California and the CFL's BC Lions head coach, Jeff Tedford, would be joining the Monarchs as the offensive coordinator, while former Michigan State Spartans head coach Mark Dantonio would be joining the staff as the defensive coordinator. Former Montreal Alouettes head coach and general manager, Khari Jones and Danny Maciocia, as the QBs coach and GM for the Monarchs, while former Alouettes defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni comes over as the LBs Coach. The Monarchs' would be playing their home games at Percival Molson Memorial Stadium.

Stern stated, "We want to be the official Canada's team of the XFL. We plan on pursuing the best players available from the CFL and what Canada has to offer. It will be a priority for this franchise and we're going to start off by announcing the signing of three time CFL All-Star QB Jeremiah Masoli."

Monarchs Challenge the NFL

September 10, 2021

Montreal, QUEBEC, CANADA - Montreal Monarchs owner Gary Stern again held a press conference with big grins on their faces. "We're about to introduce you all to our new starting running back, Chuba Hubbard!" Hubbard was born in Alberta, Canada and played his college football at Oklahoma State University where he was a two time All-American, three time All-Conference and two time BIG12 conference Offensive Player of the Year. After sitting out his redshirt Junior year due to a conflict with Oklahoma State's Head Coach Mike Gundy, he entered the 2021 NFL Draft where he was projected to be a late first or early second round selection, but fell to the 4th round to the Tennessee Titans. He never signed a contract with the Titans after holding out. S and S Sportsco LLC announced that they have signed Chuba Hubbard to a 1 year $2M deal with the understanding that Hubbard would be entering the 2022 NFL Draft.

Hubbard stated, "I'm excited to be coming back home to Canada and being a Montreal Monarch. I'm very grateful for the XFL and Mr. Stern for giving me this opportunity. I can't wait to get the opportunity to further prove to scouts that I can play at the professional level and that I am worth a 1st round selection."

CFL Takes Over Ownership of Montreal Alouettes Franchise

September 15, 2021

Montreal, ALBERTA, CANADA - For the second time since 2019, the Canadian Football League has assumed ownership of the Montreal Alouettes’ franchise, the league announced. “The CFL has informed the CFLPA that they will assume ownership of the Montreal Football Club effective immediately, as the former ownership group has relinquished control,” the CFL Players’ Association said in a statement. “All club operations will resume, including free agency and preparation for the 2022 CFL season.”

According to the CFL, numerous parties have expressed “serious interest” in purchasing the Als, including individuals, groups and businesses that reside or operate in Montreal or Quebec. With this news, the Als no longer are owned by Clifford Starke. He purchased the team from the league in 2019 who operated the franchise taking over from the late Robert Wetenhall and his son, Andrew. “The CFL wants to express its deep gratitude for their stewardship of the Alouettes,” the CFL stated. “Cliff purchased the team at a critical time in its history. The league will fund all day-to-day operational expenses and continue to ensure all the financial obligations are met.”

TSN to Broadcast the XFL

September 21, 2021

New York, NY - The Sports Network(TSN) is the leading sports network throughout Canada and has been expressing interest in adding XFL games to their programming since they ended their relationship with the CFL earlier this year. TSN will be airing all of the Toronto Jousters and Montreal Monarchs games across their networks weekly. The network signed a $30M one year agreement with the league.

With TSN choosing the XFL over the CFL will be very damaging for the league above the border. The CFL has already cut salaries drastically across the league and without any TV money coming in, the league could be in real danger.

Fleet, Breakers and Panthers to Play at Ford Field in Detroit

November 29, 2021

Detroit, MI - The San Diego Fleet, Los Angeles Breakers and Oakland Panthers will play their 2022 home games at Ford Field in Detroit, Michigan due to California not yet open from the pandemic, the XFL announced. The stadium will also host the Western conference championship game in late June. "Detroit is the city of champions, and Visit Detroit, and the Detroit Sports Commission are excited to welcome the Oakland Panthers, Los Angeles Breakers and San Diego Fleet to the city," said Claude Molinari, President and CEO of Visit Detroit. "Having the XFL in the city will further enhance Detroit's momentum and highlight the incredible cultural vibrancy our region offers visitors and residents alike."

"We're excited to deliver high-quality and competitive professional spring football to fans all across the country who crave more football," said Johnston. "The XFL has proven itself to be a stable league run by experienced football leaders who provide a fan-friendly, fun, and affordable stadium experience while being a catalyst for the evolution of football through innovative rules," said Russ Brandon, XFL President. "Our elite broadcast partners give viewers unprecedented access and the best football production on television. We're showing our fans, our players, our coaches, our communities, and public and corporate partners that the XFL is here to stay."

Former Alouettes Joining Monarchs in XFL

December 2, 2021

Montreal, ALBERTA, CANADA - QB Vernon Adams, RBs Tyrell Sutton and James Wilder Jr., WRs BJ Cunningham, Fabian Guerra, Naaman Roosevelt, Jake Wieneke and Mario Alford, DBs Taylor Loffler and Greg Reid all joined the Monarchs in the XFL.

Former Sooner Spencer Rattler Signs with Mexico City Vipers

December 13, 2021

Mexico City, MEXICO - Former Oklahoma starting quarterback Spencer Rattler has signed with the Mexico City Vipers of the XFL. Rattler entered 2021 as a preseason Heisman favorite and presumed first-round pick for the 2022 NFL Draft following a strong 2020 season. However, Oklahoma's offense was sluggish to open the year and Rattler was benched in favor of freshmen backup Caleb Williams, who led the biggest comeback in the history of the Red River Shoot-out. Williams then started the rest of the season.

Rattler wilted at times this past season under the spotlight and pressure of being the consensus Heisman favorite at Oklahoma. In the XFL, he will get to work through some of those demons without constant pressure to perform in hopes of rebuilding his NFL portfolio.

With the rumors circling that the NCAA altering their amateur athletes rules towards payments, most athletes will still try to use the premier programs of the NCAA to launch their future athletic careers.

CFL to Merge with ELF for the 2022 Season

January 10, 2022

Ottawa, ONTARIO, CANADA - The Canadian Football League held a vote amongst it's ownership groups on the future of the league and the league voted seven-to-two in favor of joining the European League of Football for the 2022 season. Facing huge financial strains, the league could no longer stand on it's own. With this announcement, the BC Lions and Calgary Stampeders will not be joining the ELF for the 2022 season. The Lions and Stampeders ownership groups will continue to look for alternative avenues. If either team joins an alternate league, neither ownership group will be allowed to retain their nicknames as they belong to the CFL. The Hamilton Tiger-cats, Ottawa RedBlacks, Saskatchewan Roughriders, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Detroit-Windsor Muscle, Atlantic Schooners and the newly named Edmonton Elks will join the ELF as the league plays as a 15 team league.

CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie did state however, that the CFL may return in 2023 as it's own independent league, but for 2022 that option wasn't viable. Multiple teams wouldn't have survived another season without football.

Stampeders QB Mitchell and Argonauts QB Bethel-Thompson leaving CFL for XFL

January 25, 2022

New York, NY - Three time CFL Champion and CFL MVP Bo Levi Mitchell is leaving the Calgary Stampeders on a winning note. The veteran quarterback announced that he'll play with the XFL's New Orleans Breakers in 2022. Mitchell became a CFL free agent earlier this month after helping Calgary win the '19 Grey Cup. "My next journey begins with the Toronto Jousters of the XFL and then will continue with considerable NFL interest in the fall. I do not want this decision in any way seen as a dismissal of the CFL. I love the CFL and hold it in the highest regard. Playing in the states this year allows family and football to overlap and I could not pass up on that opportunity."

Toronto Argonauts QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson, DL Folarin Orimolade, Saskatchewan Roughriders OL Brett Boyko and LB Darnell Sankey, Montreal Alouettes DB Adarius Pickett, Hamilton Tiger-cats DB Kameron Kelly, Winnipeg Blue Bombers WRs Lucky Whitehead and Janarion Grant, Winnipeg DL Jackson Jeffcoat, Ottawa Redblacks DL Lorenzo Mauldin IV and LB Micah Awe, Edmonton Elks WR Kenny Lawler, Winnipeg Blue Bombers QB Dakota Prukop, Hamilton Tiger-cats DL Valentin Gnahoua, BC Lions QB Antonio Pipkin, Calgary Stampeders DB Trumaine Washington, Montreal Alouettes Hergy Mayala, Hamilton Tiger-cats OL Colin Kelly

NCAA adopts interim name, image and likeness policy

February 5, 2022

New York, NY - NCAA college athletes will have the opportunity to benefit from their name, image and likeness. "This is an important day for college athletes since they all are now able to take advantage of name, image and likeness opportunities," NCAA President Mark Emmert said. "With the variety of state laws adopted across the country, we will continue to work with Congress to develop a solution that will provide clarity on a national level. The current environment, both legal and legislative, prevents us from providing a more permanent solution and the level of detail student-athletes deserve."
Last edited by BengalErnst on Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:13 pm, edited 28 times in total.
BengalErnst

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: Pro Football Dynasty Reports