XFL 2001

Re: XFL 2001

Postby BengalErnst » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:49 pm

XFL Week 5: Taylor kicks go-ahead field goal as Orlando edges Minneapolis

March 2, 2001

Minneapolis, MN – Backup quarterback Brian Kuklick threw for 207 yards and a touchdown, and Jay Taylor kicked a go-ahead field goal in the fourth quarter to lead the Orlando Rage to a 21-19 victory over the Minneapolis Wild on Sunday night.

The victory left the Rage (5-0) as the XFL’s only undefeated team, while Minneapolis (2-3) has lost all three of its home games. Kuklick, subbing for starter Jeff Brohm who was knocked out of the game with a concussion in the first quarter, connected with Dialleo Burks on an 81-yard pass with 8:41 left in the third quarter to give the Rage an 18-16 lead.

Minneapolis kicker Jeff Hall, who booted a 49-yard field goal with 1:50 left before halftime, added a 34-yarder with 2:15 remaining in the third to put Minneapolis back in the lead. But Taylor’s 39-yarder with just over 13 minutes left gave the Rage the lead, and Minneapolis never threatened again, reaching only the Orlando 46 the rest of the way.

Minneapolis led 16-12 at halftime thanks to Hall’s field goal and touchdowns from Rashaan Salaam, on a 5-yard run in the first quarter, and Charles Jordan, on a 44-yard pass from Jim Druckenmiller early in the second. Salaam’s touchdown came after Orlando’s Derrick Clark fumbled at the Rage 24 on the game’s second play.

Orlando’s first-half touchdowns came in the first quarter on a 1-yard run by Clark and a 23-yard pass from Brohm to Mario Bailey. The latter touchdown was set up by a turnover when Salaam fumbled at the Wild 46. Druckenmiller threw for 189 yards, while Salaam finished with 90 yards rushing. The Rage, the XFL’s leading rushing team, was held to 115 yards on the ground, 23 yards below its average.

-- (4-0)Rage 21 - 19 Wild(2-2)
(ORL): QB Kuklick - 8/19 207 yards, 1 TD, RB Clark - 12 carries, 69 yards, 1 TD, WR Burks - 4 catches, 125 yards, 1 TD, WR Bailey - 4 catches, 95 yards, 1 TD
(MIN): QB Druckenmiller - 16/30 189 yards, 1 TD, RB Salaam - 20 carries, 90 yards, 1 TD, WR Prentiss - 7 catches, 67 yards, WR Jordan - 3 catches, 69 yards, 1 TD

-- (0-4)Enforcers 15 - 13 Outlaws(3-1)
(CHI): QB McDougal - 17/22 169 yards, 1 INT, RB Avery - 19 carries, 53 yards, WR Bailey - 2 catches, 32 yards
(LV): QB Grieb - 9/18 98 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, RB Smart - 21 carries, 122 yards, RB Smart - 4 catches, 28 yards, WR Murphy - 3 catches, 38 yards

-- (2-2)Desperados 39 - 10 Steel(2-2)
(DAL): QB Barnes - 10/17 100 yards, 2 TDs, RB Johnson - 17 carries, 99 yards, WR Roberson - 6 catches, 69 yards
(BIRM): QB Barker - 5/11 106 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, RB Bostic - 12 carries, 58 yards, WR Williams - 4 catches, 119 yards
*Dallas QB Mike Pawlawski missed game due to neck injury, Steel QB Weldon benched for QB Jay Barker in 3rd Quarter

-- (1-3)Guardians 7 - 22 Stars(2-2)
(NY): QB Richardson - 14/22 111 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, RB Aska - 11 carries, 93 yards, QB Richardson - 6 carries, 68 yards, WR Davis - 4 catches, 36 yards, 1 TD
(LA): QB Maddox - 23/37 287 yards, RB Shehee - 13 carries, 56 yards, WR Copeland - 6 catches, 81 yards, 1 TD, WR McDonald - 5 catches, 68 yards, WR Rachal - 4 catches, 63 yards

Coaches Think XFL will Succeed

March 6, 2001

Greenwich, CT – Al Luginbill and Ron Meyer, respective head coaches of the Los Angeles Xtreme and New York Hitmen, think the nay-sayers should sit down and watch a game before declaring it a laughing-stock. But Luginbill and Meyer both agree that the focus should be on the product on the field. And if the media would look at the game through their eyes, they would see that's what the XFL is really all about.

"I think the product on the field is pretty darn good, and that's where the concentration should be, I saw some hits out there tonight, both ways, that were some big-time hits. I'm only here to coach football, I want to do the best I can, and I want the league to go. It's important to all of us coaches. We want this to be a league people can respect for the football, and I'm telling you it's good football," Meyer said.

"We have a lot of NFL veterans playing in this league. Everyone in this league is a free agent. They are fighting for a job every day, over there, you have a mish-mosh of allocated guys that don't want to be there, guys that were off the street that were allocated by NFL teams and a bunch of free agents. As far as coaching, it's a coaching nirvana here," Luginbill said. "I had a great run in NFL-Europe, but the caliber of play is totally different because of the veteran experience you have in the XFL."

"I was talking to Al before the game and he feels the same way I do. People want to see spring football," Meyer said. "It's such a pleasure to coach these kids because they want to play and I think the focus should start being on them and the football end of it, because that's what it's all about."

"I love the league, I love what it stands for, I like the players that are in it, not just the ones playing for me but the ones on the other teams," Luginbill said. "I'm happy about the product, I think there's a lot of good coaching going on, a lot of good playing going on, and I think the other part will take care of itself."
Last edited by BengalErnst on Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:07 pm

XFL Week 6: Orlando Maintains Perfect Record

March 9, 2001

Orlando, FL – Jeff Brohm threw for 235 yards and two touchdowns Saturday night as Orlando closed in on a playoff berth, remaining the only unbeaten team in the XFL with a 27-15 victory over Las Vegas. The Rage (6-0) took the lead for good on Brohm’s 16-yard TD pass to Kevin Swayne. The reception capped a seven-minute drive Orlando launched after Paul McCallum’s third field goal put the Outlaws (3-3) ahead 15-14 with 11:29 to go.

Brohm completed 13 of 20 passes to help Orlando, the league’s highest-scoring team at just over 25 per game, put up the highest point total of the season against Las Vegas, which had only allowed 39 in its first five games. Ryan Clement completed 20 of 30 passes for 160 yards and one touchdown for the Outlaws. But his fumble, which rolled into his end zone when he was sacked by Andre Purvis, was recovered by Orlando’s Sedric Clark for a late touchdown that ended any chance for a Las Vegas comeback.

The Rage, which will play three of its last four regular-season games on the road, entered the weekend with a chance to clinch one of two playoff spots in the Eastern Division. Orlando needs a victory, coupled with losses by Chicago and New York. Attendance at the Florida Citrus Bowl was announced as 24,677, giving the Rage an average of 27,044 for four home games. Clement returned to Las Vegas’ lineup for the first time since being sidelined with a separated shoulder in the second week of the season. The Outlaws went 1-2 without him, managing to retain a share of the best of the record in the Western Division. Ben Snell’s 4-yard touchdown reception gave Las Vegas a 6-0 lead and McCallum’s 41-yard field goal, set up by Yo Murphy’s 69-yard kickoff return, put the Outlaws ahead 9-7 midway through the second quarter. Brohm, meanwhile, started despite missing most of Orlando’s previous game against Minneapolis because of a slight concussion. He threw a 7-yard TD pass to Lawrence Hart in the second quarter and the Rage took a 14-9 halftime lead on Brian Shay’s 11-yard scoring run. McCallum kicked a 42-yard field goal in the third quarter and added a 22-yarder to give the Outlaws their 15-14 lead.

-- (5-0)Rage 27 - 15 Outlaws(3-2)
(ORL): QB Brohm - 13/20 235 yards, 1 TD, RB Clark - 10 carries, 34 yards, WR Swayne - 4 catches, 92 yards, 1 TD, WR Burks - 3 catches, 80 yards
(LV): QB Clement - 20/30 152 yards, 1 TD, RB Smart - 15 carries, 61 yards, RB Smart - 8 catches, 48 yards, WR Murphy - 5 catches, 60 yards

-- (2-3)Wild 29 - 23 Enforcers(1-4)
(MIN): QB Druckenmiller - 26/40 413 yards, 3 TDs, RB Salaam - 8 carries, 35 yards, 1 TD, QB Druckenmiller - 6 carries, 54 yards, WR Jordan - 10 catches, 240 yards, 1 TD, WR Hobbs - 7 catches, 101 yards, 1 TD
(CHI): QB McDougal - 13/28 272 yards, RB Avery - 11 carries, 78 yards, 1 TD, RB Johnson - 3 carries, 58 yards, 2 TDs, WR Bailey - 5 catches, 56 yards, WR Lord - 3 catches, 67 yards
*Minneapolis Wild RB Salaam left game in 2nd quarter due to injury

-- (1-4)Guardians 20 - 12 Desperados(3-2)
(NY): QB Richardson - 13/24 137 yards, 1 TD, RB Aska - 8 carries, 28 yards, WR Dar Dar - 5 catches, 117 yards, 1 TD, WR Davis - 3 catches, 31 yards
(DAL): QB Barnes - 19/41 194 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, RB Anderson - 5 rushes, 21 yards, WR Cunningham - 5 catches, 53 yards, WR Roberson - 4 catches, 45 yards, 1 TD

-- (3-2)Stars 35 - 26 Steel(2-3)
(LA): QB Maddox - 17/25 240 yards, 3 TDs, RB McCullough - 25 carries, 124 yards, 2 TDs, WR Copeland - 7 catches, 82 yards, 2 TDs, WR Gibson - 3 catches, 94 yards, 1 TD
(BIRM): QB Weldon - 16/21 300 yards, 3 TDs, QB Barker - 2/5 9 yards, 2 INTs, RB Bostic - 14 carries, 78 yards, WR Jackson - 6 catches, 96 yards, 1 TD, TE Smith - 5 catches, 46 yards, 1 TD, WR Williams - 3 catches, 122 yards, 1 TD

Burgess Makes Big-time Plays for Rage

March 13, 2001

Orlando, FL – They say "Big-Time Players" make big-time plays and Orlando Rage linebacker James Burgess will be the first one to tell you he is a big-time player. With his innate ability to come through with plays in the clutch, Burgess has become one of the top players in the XFL. Burgess, who hails from the University of Miami, currently leads the undefeated Orlando Rage in tackles, tackles for loss and sacks. He had a huge game in Orlando's dramatic come-from-behind win over Las Vegas last week, where he made five tackles, knocked down a pass and had an interception. "My teammates expect me to make plays that change the game. I always want to be that guy who helps win it at the end," Burgess said. "The tradition of the great linebackers that have played at the University of Miami have certainly inspired me to be the best in the XFL."

Another aspect of his game that Burgess attributes to his days at Miami is his effusive personality on the field. "Being able to talk a little trash and express myself is one of the reasons I wanted to be a part of the XFL," Burgess said. "This league is about playing great football, having a little fun and being yourself. If you do something good, you can show some emotion without working about an excessive celebration penalty."

Brohm Proves he's Leader of Rage

March 13, 2001

Orlando, FL – Two weeks ago in the first quarter of a game against the Minneapolis Wild, Jeff Brohm took a vicious but clean hit from Wild DL Shante Carver. The good news was that the play resulted in a 23-yard touchdown pass to Mario Bailey. The bad news was that Brohm lay motionless on the ground for 10 minutes and was taken off the field by stretcher. He suffered a concussion and a neck strain and was sent to a hospital to be evaluated.

Instead of resting at the hospital, Brohm insisted on going back to the stadium to be on the sidelines with his teammates. He stood on the sidelines in a neck brace as he witnessed the end of the Rage's 21-19 victory over the Wild. Most quarterbacks who suffer from concussions would take at least a week off to make sure they were all right. The Rage were next going up a stingy Las Vegas Outlaws defense that only gave up seven points per game. Orlando would have had no problem resting Brohm, because they were happy with the job Brian Kuklick did in the previous week's game when he finished with 207 yards and one touchdown. But Brohm said he was healthy enough to play so the Rage let him start. The gutty QB showed no ill effects of the concussion, throwing for 235 yards and two touchdowns in leading the Rage to a 27-15 victory over the Outlaws. While credit has to go the Rage offensive line for giving Brohm time to thrown the football against a very physical defense, Brohm showed his teammates he is the leader of the team. despite suffering a concussion, he wanted to play and performed very well. That's what NFL teams look for in a quarterback, a signal caller who is tough and can lead the team to victory even if he is injured.
Last edited by BengalErnst on Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:27 pm

XFL Offenses Clicking as Playoffs Near

March 15, 2001

Greenwich, CT – With just four games remaining in the XFL regular season, three of the four playoff spots are up for grabs, and XFL teams are getting offensive in their pursuit of the million-dollar prize. The Orlando Rage(6-0) have clinched one of the two Eastern Division playoff spots, but the remaining three slots are still wide open as the season heads into the back stretch. And with the three places still undecided, overall scoring in the XFL was up for the third consecutive weekend as offenses around the league begin to find their stride just in time for the battle for the playoff spots. Week six scoring was up 28% over week five, 80% over week four and 115% over week three.

"With the short amount of time coaches had to put their teams together prior to the beginning of the season, the defenses naturally were ahead of the offenses," said XFL Director of Football Operations Michael Keller. "Now as teams are seeing each other for the second time and much of the mystery is gone, the play books are opening up and I expect the teams to continue their high-scoring down the stretch."

XFL Week 7: Guardians win with nine seconds left

March 16, 2001

East Rutherford, NJ – Wally Richardson threw a 1-yard touchdown pass to Zola Davis in the corner of the end zone with nine seconds left Saturday night, giving the New York Guardians a 16-15 victory over the Minneapolis Wild in the XFL. It was the second TD hookup of the night for the Richardson and Davis, who combined for a 9-yarder to the third quarter after Minneapolis had taken a 15-3 lead.

The Guardians(3-4), who overcame three quarters of turnovers, penalties and missed opportunities, drove downfield 64 yards in nine plays for the win. After a scoreless first quarter, Leo Araguz’ 27-yard field goal in the opening seconds of the second gave the Guardians a brief lead, but Jim Druckenmiller drove Minneapolis(3-4) 59 yards for a 6-3 lead on a 5-yard TD pass to Mark Thomas. Druckenmiller hit Daryl Hobbs for a 6-yard TD at 13:10, and Jeff Hall connected with a 41-yard field goal with 3 seconds left in the half to send the Wild to the locker room with a 15-3 lead.

Attendance on a rainy night was listed as 15,781 at Giants Stadium.

-- (3-3)Wild 15 - 16 Guardians(2-4)
(MIN): QB Druckenmiller - 10/26 89 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, RB Moss - 19 carries, 95 yards, WR Jordan - 4 catches, 42 yards
(NY): QB Richardson - 22/35 195 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, RB Aska - 9 carries, 42 yards, WR Davis - 7 catches, 74 yards, 1 TD, Dar Dar - 5 catches, 58 yards

-- (3-3)Outlaws 34 - 12 Steel(2-4)
(LV): QB Clement - 13/22 104 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT, RB Snell - 16 carries, 59 yards, WR Furrey - 3 catches, 38 yards
(BIRM): QB Barker - 17/33 141 yards, 1 TD, RB Bostic - 18 carries, 6 yards, WR McGuire - 4 catches, 41 yards, TE Smith - 5 catches, 37 yards
*Outlaws RB Rod Smart and Steel QB Weldon missed the game due to injuries

-- (6-0)Rage 6 - 31 Stars(4-2)
(ORL): QB Kuklick - 17/29 229 yards, 3 INTs, RB Clark - 5 carries, 11 yards, WR Bailey - 6 catches, 51 yards, WR Burks - 5 catches, 68 yards, WR Swayne - 4 catches, 61 yards
(LA): QB Maddox - 19/25 199 yards, 2 TDs, RB McCullough - 17 carries, 55 yards, 1 TD, WR McDonald - 5 catches, 90 yards, 2 TDs, WR Gibson - 5 catches, 52 yards, WR Copeland - 3 catches, 51 yards
*Orlando QB Jeff Brohm suffered season ending injury at end of 1st Quarter

-- (3-3)Desperados 19 - 25 Enforcers(1-5)
(DAL): QB Pawlawski - 15/24 133 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, RB Anderson - 13 carries, 71 yards, WR Cunningham - 6 catches, 53 yards, WR Roberson - 4 catches, 51 yards
(CHI): QB McDougal - 11/14 175 yards, 1 TD, RB Avery - 23 carries, 110 yards, RB Johnson - 9 carries, 33 yards, 2 TDs, WR Bailey - 4 catches, 67 yards

Brohm’s Season Over

March 20, 2001

Orlando, FL – Orlando Rage quarterback Jeff Brohm saw his 2001 XFL season officially come to a halt on Thursday when the team announced the he would undergo surgery on Monday. Brohm separated his right shoulder on Sunday during the first play of the second quarter in a 30-6 loss to the Los Angeles Xtreme. Preliminary on-field diagnosis was a grade two separation that would sideline him two to four weeks.

“It obviously hurts any team to lose its starting quarterback,” Rage head coach Galen Hall said. “Jeff was our team leader on offense and played a big role in our 6-0 start. But injuries are an unfortunate part of the game that you can’t control. We will regroup and get ready to play with Brian Kuklick as our starter. Brian has played well this year,” Hall added. “He’ll make some mistakes, but he’s going to make some plays too. We have all the confidence in the world that we can win with Brian at the helm.”
Last edited by BengalErnst on Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:46 pm

XFL Week 8: Stars Dismantle the Outlaws

March 23, 2001

Los Angeles, CA – One week after dismantling the XFL’s best team, the Los Angeles Stars dismantled the league’s best defense. Tommy Maddox threw four touchdown passes in the first half as the Starss clinched a playoff berth with an exciting 35-26 victory over the Las Vegas Outlaws. Fresh off handing the Orlando Rage their first loss of the season, the Stars were not intimidated by a defense nicknamed the “Dealers of Doom” that was allowing 11.1 points per game.

Maddox, the league leader in passing yards and touchdowns, had little trouble shredding the Outlaws’ defense, throwing three of his four TD passes in the second quarter to help the Stars open a 26-14 advantage. Led by Maddox, Los Angeles joined Orlando as the only teams in the league to secure playoff berths. The Stars(6-2), who have won six of seven, have a two-game lead over second-place Las Vegas and Dallas in the Western Division.

“It was a good effort. We played hard,” Maddox said. “It was nice to clinch a playoff berth at home. We do have momentum, but it is easy to lose that momentum. We get better each week.” Maddox completed 25-of-36 passes for 252 yards with an interception. Maddox found seven different receivers. “We’ve stuck with everything we started the season with except we narrowed our offense some to do what we do best,” Los Angeles coach Al Luginbill said. “Maddox had to give up some individualism for the team and he’s done that. The difference between quarterbacks is not statistics but wins.”

Ryan Clement threw three touchdown passes to tight end Rickey Brady for the Outlaws, who have lost three of its last four games, including both meetings with Los Angeles. Facing the league’s top offensive team, the Outlaws (4-4) immediately put themselves at a disadvantage when Chrys Chukwuma fumbled the opening kickoff and Ricky Parker recovered on the 17-yard line.

Two plays after the turnover, Maddox found Jermaine Copeland with a 10-yard touchdown pass, giving Los Angeles a 6-0 lead. Copeland, the league’s top receiver, had seven catches for 91 yards. “It is evident that this is the best receiving corps I’ve ever had,” Maddox said. “That’s why it’s fun to play with these guys. I can choose to toss the ball to three to four different guys on every down. It’s fun to play in that kind of offensive system. Also, each receiver can make a big play — that’s important.”

“High power. Best in league. Trust me,” commented Copeland on his club’s offense. Las Vegas recovered on its next possession as Rod “He Hate Me” Smart scored on a 21-yard run for a 7-6 lead. After the teams traded scores, Los Angeles took the lead for good, 18-14, with 6:58 left in the second quarter on Maddox’s 13-yard touchdown toss to Frank Leatherwood. Moments later, Los Angeles converted another miscue when Jeff Russell busted through the line untouched and blocked a punt by Paul McCallum. The ball bounced threw the end zone for a safety, making it 20-14. Maddox capped his big half with a two-yard TD pass to Darnell McDonald 32 seconds before intermission.

The Outlaws closed within six points in the third quarter on Clement’s six-yard toss to Brady. Jose Cortez kicked a 42-yard field later in the period and connected from 32 yards early in the fourth, pushing the advantage to 32-20. Clement hooked up with Brady from four yards with 5:28 to play, pulling the Outlaws within 32-26. But Cortez kicked a 44-yard field goal with 53 seconds left to seal it for Los Angeles. Clement was 17-of-31 for 190 yards and an interception while Brady had six catches for 71 yards.

-- (5-2)Stars 35 - 26 Outlaws(4-3)
(LA): QB Maddox - 26/36 252 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT, RB McCullough - 15 carries, 54 yards, WR Copeland - 7 catches, 91 yards, 1 TD, RB McCullough - 6 catches, 47 yards, 1 TD, WR McDonald - 5 catches, 42 yards, 1 TD
(LV): QB Clement - 17/31 190 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT, RB Smart - 13 carries, 57 yards, 1 TD, WR Murphy - 5 catches, 61 yards, TE Brady - 6 catches, 71 yards, 3 TDs

XFL Week 8: No Salaam No Chance

March 24, 2001

Dallas, TX – QB Mike Pawlawski threw for 215 yards and three touchdowns as Dallas broke a two-game losing streak with a 21-12 victory over Minneapolis in XFL action at Pacific Bell Park before 35,109 fans. Pawlawski completed 26 of 44 attempts for 215 yards as the Desperados(4-4) moved into a tie for second place in the Western Division. WR Jimmy Cunningham caught nine of Pawlawski's passes for 74 yards, including a 3-yard touchdown with 3:15 remaining to give the Desperados a 21-6 lead.

Minneapolis(3-5) scored a touchdown with 1:15 left on a 12-yard pass from QB Jim Druckenmiller to WR Beau Morgan. The loss all but ended the playoff hopes for Minneapolis. After the Wild opened the scoring on a 12-yard scoring strike from Druckenmiller to Daryl Hobbs midway through the first quarter, the Desperados scored 15 unanswered points in the second. Pawlawski found Travis Moore with a 7-yard touchdown pass with 6:40 left in the half, followed by a 12-yard scoring strike over the middle to Brian Roberson 4:55 later. Druckenmiller was intercepted by Terrell Sutton, setting up a 35-yard field goal by Mike Panasuk as the first-half gun sounded. Minneapolis played without the XFL's leading rusher, Rashaan Salaam, who's out with bruised shoulder.

-- (3-4)Desperados 21 - 12 Wild(3-4)
(DAL): QB - Pawlawski - 26/44 215 yards, 3 TDs, RB Anderson - 19 carries, 80 yards, WR Cunningham - 9 catches, 74 yards, 1 TD, WR Hundon - 6 catches, 56 yards, WR Roberson - 5 catches, 48 yards, 1 TD
(MIN): QB - Druckenmiller - 14/30 203 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, RB Moss - 9 carries, 25 yards, WR Jordan - 6 catches, 111 yards, WR Hobbs - 4 catches, 48 yards, 1 TD

-- (2-5)Steel 0 - 13 Enforcers(2-5)
(BIRM): QB Barker - 13/17 169 yards, 1 INT, RB Bostic - 18 carries, 44 yards, WR Williams - 9 catches, 152 yards, WR Jackson - 6 catches, 47 yards
(CHI): QB McDougal - 11/20 143 yards, RB Avery - 20 carries, 170 yards, 2 TDs, WR Lord - 3 catches, 63 yards

XFL Week 8: Rage Will Open Playoffs at Home

March 25, 2001

Orlando, FL – Brian Kuklick passed for 202 yards and a touchdown as the Orlando Rage clinched the XFL's Eastern Division title with a 17-12 victory over New York Guardians. The Rage (7-1), coming off a 31-6 loss in Los Angeles, gained homefield advantage for the first round of the playoffs. The Guardians dropped to 3-5. Orlando's Brian Shay returned the opening kickoff 95 yards to the one and Derrick Clark plowed in for the touchdown on the first play from scrimmage. The Guardians made it 7-6 late in the first quarter when LB Ron Merkerson returned Kuklick's fumble 43 yards for a touchdown. Kuklick, making his first start after Jeff Brohm was lost for the season with a separated right shoulder, capped a 77-yard, second-quarter drive with a 20-yard TD pass to Diaello Burks. Orlando made it 17-6 on Jay Taylor's 20-yard field goal on the final play of the half.

After Anthony DiCosmo blocked a Rage punt late in the fourth quarter, Wally Richardson hit Mike Archie with a 33-yard touchdown pass to complete the scoring. Guarians drove to the Orlando 46 in the final minute, but Richardson and backup quarterback Charles Puleri misfired on four consecutive passes.

-- (6-1)Rage 17 - 12 Guardians(3-4)
(ORL): QB Kuklick - 16/30 202 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs, RB Shay - 8 carries, 30 yards, RB Clark - 13 carries, 31 yards, 1 TD, WR Swayne - 6 catches, 80 yards, WR Burks - 3 catches, 53 yards, 1 TD
(NY): QB Richardson - 12/24 128 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, RB Aska - 7 carries, 8 yards, WR Dar Dar - 3 catches, 27 yards

XFL Expansion Committee to Visit Washington, DC

March 27, 2001

Greenwich, CT – With an eye towards adding at least two teams as early as next season, members of the newly created XFL expansion committee will visit Washington, D.C. Tuesday, March 27, XFL Commish Oliver Luck announced today. “Our business plan calls for league expansion in either year two or three so we have formed an expansion committee to examine the feasibility of adding at least two-to-four teams in that time frame,” said Luck. “We have had requests from a number of cities who would like to join the XFL, and we have targeted several for early visits. First on the list is the nation’s capital.” According to Rich Rose, who heads up the league’s expansion committee, the league has established a set of criteria to determine a city’s viability as an XFL expansion candidate. “We will be examining possible stadiums, practice facilities, short term player housing and team office space, as well as the potential season ticket base,” said Rose. “Our goal is to be able to sell at least 20,000 season tickets in any new XFL city, remembering that XFL season tickets are available for $125 on the 50-yard line.”

In addition to Luck and Rose, making the trip to Washington will be Dick Butkus, and Drew Pearson, General Manager of the Dallas Desperados. They will meet with Bobby Goldwater, President and Executive Director of the D.C. Sports & Entertainment Commission, which operates RFK Stadium. “We are looking forward to our visit with the XFL officials and to the possibility of the league expanding to Washington,” said Goldwater. “One of the Commission’s goals is to attract and present a larger variety of sports and entertainment events in the District and bringing the XFL to RFK could be a great addition. As everyone knows, Washington has passionate football fans in one of the premier markets in the country. We welcome the XFL’s interest.”
Last edited by BengalErnst on Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:49 pm

XFL Week 9: Enforcers Win the Marathon

March 30, 2001

East Rutherford, NJ – Kevin McDougal returned from a neck injury and threw a 19-yard touchdown pass to Willy Tate with 1:41 to play to give the Chicago Enforcers a 23-18 victory over the New York Guardians on Saturday night in the XFL. McDougal also threw touchdown passes of 9 and 16 yards to Luke Leverson and linebacker Jamie Beasley preserved the Enforcers’ fourth win in five games by intercepting a pass at the goal line with two seconds to play.

Chicago(4-5) can claim the second playoff berth in the Eastern Division by beating Orlando(8-1) at home next Sunday. The Guardians(3-6) will make the playoffs if they win at Birmingham (2-7) and Orlando beats the Enforcers.

Chicago did its best to give the game away, turning the ball over three times in the second half, highlighted by Joey Eloms 76-yard interception return that gave New York an 18-16 lead early in the third quarter. That lead looked like it would stand until halfback Joe Aska fumbled at the New York 43 with 2:34 to play and Quincy Coleman recovered. A pass interference against Eloms on the next play moved the ball to the 22. McDougal, who sprained his neck being hit after throwing a third-quarter interception deep in Guardian territory and missed two series, then found Tate all alone on the right sideline for a touchdown.

Corte McGuffey, who made the start for the injured Wally Richardson, drove the Guardians to the Chicago 5 on the last possession. He hit Kirby Dar Dar on a 15-yard pass and Anthony DiCosmo for 30. However, a holding penalty and an illegal forward pass set up a fourth-and-goal from the 20, and Beasley picked off the pass.

McDougal, who was 13 of 24 for 193, cut the lead to 8-6 with a 9-yard TD pass to Leverson. Chicago took a 9-8 lead on an 18-yard field goal by Andy Crosland. Leo Araguz gave New York an 11-9 lead with a 28-yard field goal with 58 seconds left in the first half, but McDougal drove the Enforcers 75 yards in seven plays, with McDougal and Leverson combining on a 16-yard TD with six seconds left in the half.

-- (3-5)Enforcers 23 - 18 Guardians(3-5)
(CHI): QB McDougal - 13/24 193 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs, RB Johnson - 16 carries, 103 yards, RB Avery - 7 carries, 26 yards, WR Bailey - 6 catches, 81 yards, WR Lord - 4 carries, 71 yards
(NY): QB McGuffey - 13/22 144 yards, 2 INTs, RB Aska - 18 carries, 101 yards, 1 TD, WR DiCosmo - 4 catches, 47 yards, WR Dar Dar - 4 catches 45 yards

-- (7-1)Rage 29 - 24 Steel(2-6)
(ORL): QB Kuklick - 17/33 257 yards, 3 TDs, 3 INTs, RB Black - 5 carries, 41 yards, RB Clark - 10 carries, 40 yards, 1 TD, WR Swayne - 6 catches, 56 yards, WR Bailey - 4 catches, 55 yards, 1 TD, WR Burks - 3 catches, 73 yards, 1 TD
(BIRM): QB Leigh - 16/32 209 yards, 1 TD, RB Bostic - 14 carries, 89 yards, WR Williams - 4 catches, 56 yards, WR Jackson - 4 catches, 49 yards, 2 TDs

-- (6-2)Stars 12 - 27 Wild(3-5)
(LA): QB Maddox - 17/38 155 yards, 2 INTs, RB McCullough - 16 carries, 44 yards, 1 TD, WR Copeland - 6 catches, 60 yards
(MIN): QB Druckenmiller - 13/19 146 yards, 3 TDs, RB Sanford - 9 carries, 82 yards, WR Hobbs - 5 catches, 61 yards, 1 TD, WR Jordan - 4 catches, 56 yards, 1 TD

-- (4-4)Desperados 14 - 9 Outlaws(4-4)
(DAL): QB Pawlawski - 17/28 152 yards, 1 TD, RB Anderson - 12 carries, 56 yards, WR Roberson - 4 catches, 32 yards
(LV): QB Clement - 13/20 118 yards, 1 INT, RB Smart - 28 carries, 121 yards, WR Murphy - 7 catches, 59 yards

XFL Expansion Committee to Visit Detroit

April 1, 2001

Stamford, CT – Members of the XFL expansion committee today visited Detroit, touring legendary Tiger Stadium and meeting with Mayor Dennis Archer and Detroit Pistons' owner Bill Davidson, XFL Commissioner Oliver Luck, announced. The trip to Detroit comes four days after league officials visited Washington, D.C. In addition to the tour of Tiger Stadium, which the NFL’s Detroit Lions called home for many years, the party also looked at prospective practice facilities and potential team office space.

“We were extremely pleased with what we saw,” said Luck. “Detroit is a great football town and Tiger Stadium was home to many great football moments. Furthermore, coming on the heels of our visit to Washington, we are impressed by how the XFL has been received by prospective new markets.” Luck stated that expanding by an additional two-to-four teams over the next couple of years was part of the XFL’s business plan, and that the league would continue to visit potential sites. “We’ve received inquires from a number of cities and our plan is to visit about a half dozen throughout the country,” he said. “Once we have completed our initial set of visits, we will review where we stand and go forward with a specific expansion plan.”

In addition to stadiums, practice facilities and team office space, league officials are examining potential short-term player housing as well as a city’s capability of providing a sizeable season ticket base.
Last edited by BengalErnst on Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:08 pm

XFL Week 10: Chicago Enforcers Claim Final Playoff Spot

April 6, 2001

Chicago, IL - Kevin McDougal threw a touchdown pass and ran for another score as Chicago beat Orlando 23-6 on Sunday night to take the final XFL playoff spot. The Enforcers, who overcame an 0-4 start to finish the regular season 5-5, will open the playoff in Los Angeles next Sunday. The Rage(8-2) will face Dallas on Saturday night. The Eastern Conference champion had already clinched home-field advantage throughout the playoffs before the game.

McDougal, 13-of-20 for 182 yards, scored on a 2-yard run late in the second quarter, and threw a 29-yard TD pass to Aaron Bailey to give Chicago a 20-0 lead in the third. Chicago’s John Avery, bothered by a sore hamstring, rushed for 41 yards. He led the league in rushing with 800 yards. Andy Crosland kicked three field goals for Chicago. Orlando’s only score came on Brian Kucklick’s 51-yard touchdown pass to Dialleo Burks.

-- (4-5)Enforcers 23 - 6 Rage(8-1)
(CHI): QB McDougal - 13/20 182 yards, 1 TD, RB Avery - 10 carries, 41 yards, WR Bailey - 5 catches, 68 yards, 1 TD, WR Lord - 4 catches, 48 yards
(ORL): QB Kuklick - 10/18 103 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, RB Black - 6 carries, 31 yards, WR Burks - 5 catches, 76 yards, 1 TD, WR Bailey - 3 catches, 24 yards

-- (5-4)Desperados 0 - 24 Stars(6-3)
(DAL): QB Pawlawski - 17/29 136 yards, 2 INT, RB Battle - 7 carries, 40 yards, RB Battle - 6 catches, 48 yards, WR Hundon - 4 catches, 76 yards
(LA): QB Maddox - 15/24 164 yards, 1 TD, RB Shehee - 17 carries, 92 yards, RB McCullough - 8 carries, 73 yards, 1 TD, WR Copeland - 9 catches, 99 yards, 1 TD

-- (4-5)Outlaws 3 - 16 Wild(4-5)
(LV): QB Grieb - 15/35 184 yards, 2 INTs, RB Smart - 10 carries, 19 yards, WR Murphy - 4 catches, 64 yards, WR Furrey - 4 catches, 43 yards
(MIN): QB Druckenmiller - 11/23 152 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, RB Potts - 5 carries, 39 yards, RB Sanford - 14 carries, 10 yards, 1 TD, WR Jordan - 4 catches, 81 yards, 1 TD, Hobbs - 3 catches, 44 yards

-- (2-7)Steel 0 - 22 Guardians(3-6)
(BIRM): QB Leigh - 19/39 188 yards, 3 INTs, RB Alexander - 12 carries, 55 yards, WR Jackson - 5 catches, 52 yards, TE Smith - 5 catches, 33 yards
(NY): QB Richardson - 8/17 243 yards, 2 TDs, RB Philyaw - 10 carries, 28 yards, WR Davis - 3 catches, 48 yards, 1 TD, WR Dar Dar - 2 catches, 117 yards, 1 TD

XFL 2001 League Leaders Finalized

April 10, 2001

Greenwich, CT - These are the regular season stat leaders for the 2001 XFL season.

Top 10 Passing Leaders:
1. Tommy Maddox(LA) - 2186 yards, 18 TDs, 9 INTs
2. Mike Pawlawski(DAL) - 1659 yards, 12 TDs, 6 INTs
3. Jim Druckenmiller(MIN) - 1499 yards, 13 TDs, 7 INTs
4. Casey Weldon(BIRM) - 1228 yards, 7 TDs, 5 INTs
5. Kevin McDougal(CHI) - 1168 yards, 5 TDs, 2 INTs
6. Wally Richardson(NY) - 1055 yards, 8 TDs, 6 INTs
7. Brian Kuklick(ORL) - 994 yards, 6 TDs, 10 INTs
8. Jeff Brohm (ORL) - 993 yards, 9 TDs, 2 INTs
9. Ryan Clement(LV) - 805 yards, 9 TDs, 4 INTs
10. Tim Lester(CHI) - 581 yards, 4 TDs, 5 INTs

Top 10 Rushing Leaders:
1. John Avery(CHI) - 800 yards, 5 TDs
2. Rod Smart(LV) - 555 yards, 3 TDs
3. James Bostic(BIRM) - 536 yards, 2 TDs
4. Rashaan Salaam(MIN) - 528 yards, 5 TDs
5. Derrick Clark(ORL) - 395 yards, 7 TDs
6. Saladin McCullough(LA) - 384 yards, 5 TDs
7. Joe Aska(NY) - 329 yards, 3 TDs
8. Mike Black(ORL) - 320 yards, 1 TD
9. LeShon Johnson(CHI) - 287 yards, 6 TDs
10. Rashaan Shehee(LA) - 242 yards, 1 TD

Top 10 Receiving Leaders:
1. Stepfret Williams(BIRM) - 828 yards, 2 TDs
2. Charles Jordan(MIN) - 823 yards, 4 TDs
3. Jeremaine Copeland(LA) - 755 yards, 5 TDs
4. Dialleo Burks(ORL) - 659 yards, 7 TDs
5. Aaron Bailey(CHI) - 546 yards, 4 TDs
6. Quincy Jackson(BIRM) - 531 yards, 6 TDs
7. Darnell McDonald(LA) - 456 yards, 8 TDs
8. Daryl Hobbs(MIN) - 419 yards, 5 TDs
9. Jimmy Cunningham(DAL) - 408 yards, 3 TDs
10. Kirby Dar Dar(NY) - 405 yards, 2 TDs
Last edited by BengalErnst on Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:20 pm

XFL Semi-Final: Desperados Overcome Rage in a Close Match

April 13, 2001

Orlando, FL - Down 16-0 midway through the first quarter, the Dallas Desperados had every reason to panic against the Orlando Rage on Saturday night in the XFL semifinals. But the Desperados steadied themselves because, as coach Jerry Glanville explained it, they knew there was still 53 minutes of football yet to be played. “We always say that it isn’t over until it’s over and it hasn’t ended until it’s ended,” Glanville said after Dallas’ 26-25 victory. “Every game has its own personality.”

K Mike Panasuk broke a fourth-quarter tie with a 40-yard field goal and quarterback Pat Barnes scored twice on 1-yard dives as the Desperados advanced to the XFL’s Million Dollar Game next Saturday. Dallas will play a road game against the winner of Sunday’s Los Angeles/Chicago semifinal contest. On the first play from scrimmage after Panasuk’s kick, Dwayne Harper intercepted a pass by Jim Arellanes and returned it 40 yards for a touchdown. It was Arellanes’ first snap after replacing Orlando starter Brian Kuklick. The Desperados needed that cushion because Orlando closed within a point with 3:32 remaining. Arellanes first hooked up with Dialleo Burks for a 55-yard touchdown pass. But Dallas was able to run out the clock for the win. The Rage, taking advantage of Dallas' mistakes, rolled out to the 16-0 lead. But Orlando coach Galen Hall said he knew victory wasn’t in hand by any means. “I never felt that we had this game won,” Hall said. “I did feel that we had control of the game and let it get away from us.”

Early in the first quarter, Desperados quarterback Pat Barnes was leveled as he threw, and the ball squirted into the hands of Orlando defensive tackle Ben Huff. Huff rumbled 17 yards for a touchdown and a 9-0 lead. On the next play from scrimmage, Orlando linebacker Sedrick Clark stripped the ball from Desperados halfback Terry Battle after a short reception and recovered the ball. Aided by a 24-yard pass interference penalty, the Rage cashed in three plays later on Derrick Clark’s 1-yard scoring run. Dallas clamped down on Orlando after the first quarter, forcing five straight punts. The Rage self-destructed after that, with back-to-back interceptions, the second being returned for a score by Harper, and a fumbled snap. “We just shot ourselves in the foot,” said Orlando starting quarterback Brian Kuklick, who completed only 5 of 16 passes for 46 yards before being pulled early in the fourth quarter. Dallas tied it at 16 on Barnes’ run with 8:02 left in the third quarter. The 69-yard drive, aided by a 28-yard pass interference penalty, was the game’s longest. The Desperados, taking advantage of an Orlando miscue, closed to 16-10 late in the first half. On a Rage punt from their own 42, the snap flew over the punter’s head and was recovered at the Orlando 4. Two plays later, Barnes scored on a dive, although there were questions whether the ball had slipped out of his hands before he crossed the plane of the goal line. “I guess if it was our quarterback, I would’ve agreed with the call,” Hall said. “It was close and it went against us. The linesman had the call and made the call.”

-- (6-4)Desperados 26 - 25 - Rage(8-2)
(DAL): QB Barnes - 16/26 181 yards, 2 INTs, RB Anderson - 18 carries, 53 yards, QB Barnes - 7 carries, 2 yards, 2 TDs, WR Roberson - 6 carries, 56 yards, RB Anderson - 4 catches, 54 yards, WR Cunningham - 3 catches, 49 yards
(ORL): QB Arellanes - 4/8 115 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, RB Clark - 10 carries, 27 yards, WR Burks - 3 catches, 75 yards, 1 TD

XFL Semi-Final: Los Angeles to host XFL Championship

April 14, 2001

Los Angeles, CA - Led by it's defense and the electric play of Pasadena native Saladin McCullough the Los Angeles Stars rolled over the Chicago Enforcers 33-16 on Easter Sunday in front of 23,081 at the Coliseum. With the victory the Stars not only advanced to the XFL Championship, "The Million Dollar Game" but will host the game as well at the Coliseum against the Dallas Desperados. "I told the guys the whole season comes down now to a best of three with the Desperados," said Al Lugibill, Stars head coach. "But this time all the money is on the line."

The Stars were led by former Southern California prep school star Saladin McCullough who rushed for a team record 164 yards on 21 carries including a team best 44-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter to seal the victory. McCullough, who spent four of the first five games of the regular season on the practice squad out-rushed the Enforcers star RB John Avery by 100 yards. Avery, who rushed for 64 yards on 14 carries, was the XFL's leading rusher at the end of the regular season. The Stars also received another strong performance from QB Tommy Maddox. The league's leader in passing yards and touchdowns during the regular season completed 18 of 24 passes for 171 yards and two touchdowns. Maddox completed the Stars' first scoring drive of the game on the team's first possession hitting Jeremaine Copeland with a 26-yard touchdown pass to cap a six play 60-yard drive and put the Stars up 6-0. At the end of the second quarter Maddox hit Damon Gibson for a 7-yard score to give the Stars a 17-10 lead. The Stars would lead for the rest of the game.

The Stars defense went into the game a bit fired up thanks to John Avery's prediction that he would have at least two runs for 60-yards against the Stars. Avery was held to 64 yards on the day. Avery's longest run of the day was 17 yards. "All I have to say about John Avery is, his mouth is on a check his butt can't cash," said Juan Long, Stars LB. "We won. We are headed to The Million Dollar Game. We are on our way." Stars DB Clifton Abraham topped off the strong defensive performance with a 88-yard interception return late in the fourth quarter off of Enforcer QB Kevin McDougal. The touchdown was the first by the Stars defense all season.

-- (7-3)Stars 33 - 16 Enforcers(5-5)
(LA): QB Maddox - 18/24 171 yards, 2 TDs, RB McCullough - 21 carries, 164 yards, WR Copeland - 4 catches, 62 yards, RB McCullough - 8 catches, 45 yards
(CHI): QB McDougal - 15/31 228 yards, 3 INTs, RB Avery - 14 carries, 59 yards, WR Bailey - 4 catches, 83 yards

XFL Names First All-League Team

April 18, 2001

Greenwich, CT - The XFL today named Los Angeles Xtreme quarterback Tommy Maddox, it's 2001 Player of the Year, as selected by a panel of XFL team executives, media and broadcasters. Maddox led the XFL in passing yards (2186) and touchdown passes (18), en route to guiding the Stars to a regular-season Western Division championship, as well as a berth in Saturday's "Million Dollar Game" against the Dallas Desperados. Chicago Enforcers running back John Avery was the runner-up for the award. Avery led the XFL in rushing with 800 yards (a league-leading 88.9 per game), as well as in yards-per-carry (5.3) as the Enforcers shook off an 0-4 start to earn a playoff spot. The XFL also named its first All-League Team as voted by players and coaches at the conclusion of the regular season. The All-XFL Team is made up of 24 players, 11 each from offense and defense, one kicker and one special teams addition. “Voting was based on the regular season only,” said Oliver Luck, the XFL’s Commissioner. “The guys who were selected all had outstanding seasons and were recognized for that by their peers.”

The 2001 All-XFL Team:
QB Jeff Brohm Orlando, RB John Avery Chicago, RB Rod Smart Las Vegas, WR Jeremaine Copeland Los Angeles, WR Stepfret Williams Birmingham, TE Rickey Brady Las Vegas, OT Chris Perez Chicago, OT Lonnie Palelei Las Vegas, C Mike Sheldon Minneapolis, OG Glenn Rountree Minneapolis, OG Jason Gamble Orlando, DL Shante Carver Minneapolis, DL Kelvin Kinney Las Vegas, DL Chris Maumalanga New York, DL Angel Rubio Las Vegas, LB Joseph Tuipala Las Vegas, LB James Burgess Orlando, LB James Willis Birmingham, DB Corey Ivy Chicago, DB Damen Wheeler New York, DB Brandon Sanders Las Vegas, DB Brad Trout New York, KR Jimmy Cunningham Dallas, K Jose Cortez Los Angeles

"I strive to be the best at everything I do so its great to be rewarded for that," said Maddox. "I don't think I even thought of this at the beginning of the season. Right now my main concern is to win this Saturday-- but this is certainly something I will cherish for a long time. The offensive line from day one played together as if they have played together for a long time. It's a close group that likes to be around each other. They picked up the blitzes and stunts where the other lines haven't."

"Tommy has earned everything he gets," said Stars' head coach Al Luginbill. "He works extremely hard. We are where we are because Tommy has been more proficient at his position than any other quarterback in the league. He's also had some good players around him but ultimately he's the guy that runs the ship."
Last edited by BengalErnst on Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 9 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:31 pm

XFL Million Dollar Game – LA Stars Conquer Desperados

April 20, 2001

Los Angeles, CA - Former NFL backup Tommy Maddox threw for two touchdown passes, and Jose Cortez kicked four field goals as the Los Angeles Stars beat the Dallas Desperados 38-6 on Saturday in the first XFL championship game. The “Million Dollar Game” drew a crowd of 34,153 to the 90,000-seat Los Angeles Coliseum.

The Stars’ defense, led by Ron Carpenter’s two interceptions, shut out the Desperados until the final 25 seconds after earlier blanking Dallas in the regular-season finale. Reggie Durden scored on a 71-yard punt return as Los Angeles took control of the title game by building a 21-0 halftime lead. The Stars, who finished 9-3, will split the $1 million bonus 45 ways because the 40 players on the regular roster voted to include the five players on their practice squad. That works out to $22,222 per man, more than half what each earned for the entire 10-game regular season.

Maddox, a former UCLA star who was out of football and running an insurance agency two years ago, completed 16 of 28 for 210 yards and was intercepted once. Cortez, who finished the inaugural XFL season by making 24 of his last 26 field-goal attempts, connected from 37, 34 and 50 yards, the 50-yarder as time expired in the first half. He added a 22-yarder in the third quarter.

Saladin McCullough rushed for 109 yards on 20 carries for Los Angeles. The Desperados, who finished 7-5, were unable to generate any offense against the Stars, who had beaten them 24-0 in the final regular-season game after losing 15-13 in the season opener at Dallas. In the rematch for the title, the Desperados’ Mike Pawlawkski threw for just 74 yards, completing 8 of 20, with two interceptions.

Until backup QB Pat Barnes ran 21 yards for a TD in the final minute, the closest the Desperados had come to scoring was when Mike Panasuk’s 44-yard field goal try fell short in the second quarter. Cortez’s 37-yarder gave Los Angeles the lead on its first possession. Early in the second quarter, Maddox faked a pitchout to the left, then threw back to his right to a wide-open Josh Wilcox in the end zone for a 1-yard TD.

Durden’s return came on off Pawlawski’s quick kick. Two Desperados collided and fell as they went for the ball downfield, the ball bounced free, and Durden picked it up and ran untouched down the left sideline. Cortez then tacked on two more field goals before halftime. Maddox threw a 19-yard touchdown pass to Jeremaine Copeland to pad the lead to 28-0 in the third quarter.

The losing Desperados earned $7,000 each for making it to the title game. XFL Co-Founder Vince McMahon presented the championship trophy, giving fans hand slaps as he worked his way down the stands and onto the field. McMahon has said the league will be back for a second season.

-- (8-3)Stars 38 - 6 Desperados(7-4)
(LA): QB Maddox - 16/28 210 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, RB McCullough - 20 carries, 109 yards, WR McDonald - 7 catches, 82 yards, WR Copeland - 4 catches, 67 yards, 1 TD
(DAL): QB Pawlawski - 8/20 74 yards, 2 INTs, RB Anderson - 11 carries, 12 yards, QB Barnes - 2 carries, 36 yards, 1 TD, WR Cunningham - 6 catches, 71 yards

Year One Financial Report Released

May 11, 2001

Greenwich, CT - The XFL expected to end year 1 in the red for the financial report but the league is encouraged with their attendance(18.7k average) and television numbers. The report states that the league is 43.75% owned by Alpha Entertainment LLC(McMahon), 43.75% Legendary Field Exhibitions LLC(Ebersol), 6.25% Dallas Football LLC(Jones), and 6.25% for Naegele Sports LLC(Naegele Jr.).

Expenditures totaled $57.75M for the 2001 season. Costs consisted of $12M from player contracts, $6.25M for Player Bonuses, $12M in front office/coaching contracts, $3M on league staff contracts, $8.5M in stadium leases, $8.5M in traveling expenses, $3.5M on insurance, $3M on equipment, and $1M on marketing.

The league did receive $12.5M from Dallas Football LLC, $12.5M from Naegele Sports LLC, $25.5M in ticket sales, and $8M in merchandise.

The league ended the 2001 season $1M in surplus and with their television partners satisfied with the 2001 numbers, Ebersol has negotiated a new television contract for a combined $10M with NBC, TNN and UPN that would air all five games every weekend, including 8pm Eastern time zone featured games on Saturday and Sunday night.

"Completing a remarkably successful inaugural season and preparing for a second season shows the XFL is a stable and professional league run by people with football experience," XFL Commissioner Oliver Luck concluded. "In year one, we accomplished every goal we set, high-quality, exciting, and competitive football, establishing a fan-friendly affordable and fun stadium experience, being a catalyst for the evolution of football through innovative rules, and achieving ratings success that gave viewers unprecedented access and the best football production on television. We showed our fans, our players and coaches, our communities, and our public and corporate partners that the XFL is here to stay."

Television Wants More Offense

May 23, 2001

Greenwich, CT - There are a few rule changes coming to the XFL starting with the 2002 season, rules that should benefit the offenses in the league. NBC officials told the league that they wanted to see more points, more big plays and more excitement, so that brings along a few rule changes. The first change made was that teams we're no longer allowed to bump and run further than five yards down the field which should open up the passing games. Other rule changes include:

-- Intentional grounding – A quarterback was allowed to intentionally ground the ball to avoid a sack, provided he gets the throw back to the line of scrimmage. He does not have to be outside the pocket to do so.
-- Fumbling out of the end zones – If the ball is fumbled forward into and out of the end zone, it is placed back at the spot of the fumble, whereas in the NFL this play is ruled a touchback and possession goes over to the defending team.
-- Telecasts featured no television timeouts and 60 percent fewer "full-screen commercials," with the league aiming for an approximate real-time game length of 150 minutes, down from just over 180 in the NFL.
-- Defenses were forbidden from rushing more than five players on or across the line of scrimmage, and no defensive player could cross the line of scrimmage from more than two yards outside the offensive tackles. The "illegal defense" penalty for violating these rules was a 15-yard penalty and a first down. This rule was meant to both protect the quarterback and encourage more scoring.
-- The play clock ran only 30 seconds, timed from the spotting of the football, ten seconds shorter than in the NFL.

"We're going to have a fast-paced, action game, but it won't be basketball on grass," said XFL Commissioner Oliver Luck. "If we can get a 34-28 game and get you in and out in under three hours, without the stalls and the replays and timeouts that can kind of dishearten you about the game, that's the kind of game that we want. It has to be real football, but it has to be something that people are enjoying watching and are entertained by. My sense of our opportunity is that it comes from two buckets. One is people who love football. The second will be people in places like Dallas who can take their family to a three-hour event for $100. That's where we have our chance. I hope people will want to see good football played during an up-tempo, fast-paced game that's done in three hours or less. That's what we think will work."

The Alternative League

May 30, 2001

Greenwich, CT - As the XFL was ramping up for a big marketing splash last winter, the NFL quietly advised its teams not to discuss the upstart league. Commissioner Paul Tagliabue has been happy to bash the XFL, but you won't hear the league's personnel men rip it. Off the record, they are extremely complimentary.

Las Vegas Outlaws Coach Jim Criner, who has had five players negotiating with the NFL already, starts ticking off the names of another half-dozen Las Vegas players with a legitimate chance to land in a training camps. He mentions DB Brandon Sanders, who spent two years as a special teams madman for the New York Giants. And then there is DL Kelvin Kinney, who spent time with the Washington Redskins. Among others. "We've got a total of 13 guys that are being talked to strongly by NFL teams and being worked out," Criner said. "The NFL coaches and the personnel people don't knock the league. Most of them are glad to have another avenue for these guys to stay alive. We're not a threat to the NFL. We're an alternative league."

As players have opted out of their one-year, plus one-year option XFL contracts, the new league has been forwarding the information to the NFL. XFL officials understand their best chance for credibility is to have a few players blossom in the established league. They are hoping for a marketing windfall similar to the surprising success of the Arena League's Kurt Warner when he won the NFL MVP and led his team to the Super Bowl. "We're doing it for the players," said XFL Director of Footbal loperations, Michael Keller, who played linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys and worked in personnel for the Cowboys and Seattle Seahawks. "It's not our intent to help the NFL, but we started out talking about opportunity. We're not going to start jacking the players around at this point."

Keller and other XFL administrators are hoping the XFL can one day supplant NFL Europe as the finishing school for NFL players. They point to the mid-April end of the XFL season, which allows players to attend NFL rookie mini-camps and regular mini-camps before training camp in July and August. "The quicker you can get them into the system," said Criner, "the better they're going to be. It's all about finding the right fit."

XFL Players Sign With NFL and CFL Teams

May 31, 2001

Greenwich, CT - The XFL announced that several of its players have signed with NFL and CFL teams. The XFL concluded its season last month and since then, eleven current have been signed to NFL or CFL teams' active rosters.

The XFL 2001 MVP QB Tommy Maddox signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers, while MVP runner-ups Las Vegas Outlaws RB Rod Smart signed with the Philadelphia Eagles and Chicago Enforcers RB John Avery signed with the Minnesota Vikings. The XFL also lost DB Kevin Kaesviharn(Bengals), DB Corey Ivy(Bucaneers), K Jose Cortez(49ers), OL Dan Goodspeed(Rage), OL Bennie Anderson(Ravens), OL Brian Waters(Chiefs), DB Steve Gleason(Saints), DB Kelly Herndon(Broncos), WR Kevin Swayne(Jets) and WR Yo Murphy(Rams).

The CFL swooped in also, as OL Jerry Crafts(Argonauts), QB Marcus Crandell(Stampeders), QB Oteman Sampson(Renegades), QB Chuck Clements(Renegades), OL Adriano Belli(Lions), DB Kelly Malveaux(Stampeders), RB Saladin McCullough(Stampeders), RB Kelvin Anderson(Stampeders), WR Travis Moore(Stampeders), OL Bernard Williams(Argonauts), LB Barrin Simpson(Lions), K Paul McCallum(Lions) and K Noel Prefontaine(Argonauts) all signed contracts.

The XFL plans to increase team salaries from $1.5M to $2M for the 2002 season, which would alter player average salaries from $37.5k to $50k which will allow them to compete with the Canadian Football League and their $2.44M salary cap while going from 10 to 13 regular season games compared to 18 in the CFL. However, the XFL is no where near able to compete with the National Football League who offers a minimum wage salary of $250k per season for an active roster player and an $80k per season for practice squad players.

"These signings further illustrate the overall quality of play in the XFL and the talent of these players," said Commissioner Oliver Luck. "who if given the opportunity, can compete in the NFL. We wish our players the best of luck with their new teams in the NFL and CFL."

Rage QB Jeff Brohm Retires Amongst Others

May 31, 2001

Orlando, FL - The Rage's primary starting QB and most prolific passer in team history announced his retirement. "It was always my dream to play professional football," said Brohm. "There aren't many people who can say that they got to go to work for eight years doing something they loved. I will always be grateful to the XFL for giving me that last chance."

"Jeff's playing career may be over but he will always remain a member of the Rage family," said Rage General Manager Tom Veit. "We will always be grateful for Jeff's leadership and his commitment to the community. Although we are sorry to see him leave the game, we are very excited for Jeff as he moves into the next chapter in their life as our QBs coach."

QBs Casey Weldon, Mike Pawlawski, Steve Sarkisian and Charles Puleri, RBs Vaughn Dunbar and Keith Elias, WRs Alvin Harper and Daryl Hobbs, TE Vince Marrow, OL David Diaz-Infante and Scott Adams and DBs Brad Trout and Louis Riddick also announced their playing retirements. Sarkisian joined the Desperados as the QBs coach, Elias joined Guardians' staff as RBs coach, Diaz-Infante joined the Outlaws' coaching staff as the assistant OL coach while Riddick and Marrow joined the Rage as the assistant general manager/DBs coach and TEs coach.

"I am delighted to stay in Orlando where the Rage fans made us feel very welcome and created a fantastic atmosphere at our games," said Marrow. "Working with Galen Hall and the rest of the coaching staff is an exciting prospect."

NFL Europa is Shut Down

June 29, 2001

Frankfurt, Germany - After 9 seasons in Europe, the NFL’s developmental league was shut down Friday. NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said it was strictly business, insisting that after “significant investment” it was time to close NFL Europa and concentrate internationally on regular-season games outside the United States. The league reportedly was losing about $30 million a season. Five of the league’s six teams were in Germany, with the other in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

“A foundation of American football fans in key European markets has been created and the time is right to shift our strategy,” Tagliabue said in a statement. “The next phase of our international growth is to focus on initiatives with global impact, including taking advantage of developing technologies that make the NFL more accessible on a global scale and ensuring the success of our new international series of regular-season games.”

NFL team owners decided in October to play up to two regular-season games each season outside the United States. “This now gives us an opportunity to build a fan base and we have another two years to get prepared,” said Gordon Smeaton, NFL International vice president.

NFL Europe was an attempt to expand the game of American football to an international market outside the United States. In addition, NFL Europe served as a development league for the NFL. The league's squads were predominantly assigned by NFL teams, who wanted younger, developmental players to get additional game experience and coaching. The NFL consumed the expenses of players and coaches living in Europe. This created a massive ripple effect in the landscape of American Football. The fanbase and local governments for the teams was furious, by the NFL quick decision to shut down operations. Players were also affected by this and were also upset by the decision. While the players signed to an NFL team were allowed to stay with their team, others were not but this should increase the talent pool for the XFL and CFL.

Elway Group Could Make Case to Expansion Committee

July 12, 2001

Greenwich, CT - Golf and car dealerships just don't seem to be enough for former Denver Broncos quarterback John Elway. Elway, who retired two years ago after back-to-back Super Bowl titles, is part of a group seeking to bring an XFL team to Denver, the Rocky Mountain News reported Thursday. Though the XFL does not offer the prominence of the NFL, it could help Elway gain executive experience if he wants to pursue another ownership stake. It also is a more affordable way to stay involved in pro football. While NFL franchises cost about $500 million, XFL teams sell for $10 million.

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and Stan Kroenke, owner of the Colorado Avalanche and Denver Nuggets, would join Elway in the venture. Elway could make a presentation to the XFL's expansion committee later this month, the newspaper said. "We're interested in it. We don't have an arrangement with anyone right now," Don Elliman, president of Kroenke Sports & Entertainment LLC.

The XFL Expansion Committee has identified 21 cities that they deemed possessed strong economic bases, passionate football tradition, and a high number of average TV viewing households as potential team locations. Target markets in the US included: Austin, Columbus, Hartford, Louisville, Memphis, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, Portland, District of Columbia, Raleigh-Durham, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Detroit, San Antonio, Omaha and Denver; as well as international markets in London, Montreal, Toronto, Mexico City and Monterrey.

The league plans to announce the two selected cities for expansion at the end of August. The two cities have been selected, and the teams are being finalized. The league is also meeting with prospective new owners and investors and plan to have them announced over the fall.

Elway and Kroenkes Buys XFL's LA Stars

August 8, 2001

Los Angeles, CA - Former Denver Broncos' Hall of Fame QB John Elway along with Kroenke Sports & Entertainment LLC, which includes Colorado Avalanche and Denver Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke and his wife, Ann Walton Kroenke announced that they have purchased the XFL's Los Angeles Stars for $10M. Elway relieved GM Michael Lang of his duties and announced himself as the Team President and new General Manager.

Elway also stated that he would be looking into bringing the XFL to the greater Denver area. A group spearheaded by former Denver Broncos quarterback John Elway and Denver Broncos' owner Pat Bowlen has submitted an expansion application to the XFL to operate a team in Denver. If approved, the new team is expected to begin play in the 2003 season.
Last edited by BengalErnst on Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 45 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:59 am

XFL to Expand Rosters to 45 Players

August 12, 2001

Greenwich, CT - XFL Commissioner Oliver Luck today announced that team rosters will expand to 45 players from 40 for the 2002 season. "Because of the enhanced regular season schedule, teams will be granted additional roster spots," Luck said.

NHL's Islanders Purchase Guardians

August 14, 2001

New York, NY - The NHL's New York Islanders ownership group of Charles Wang, Sanjay Kumar and Russell Artzt, alongside NYSports Executives LLC have been approved by the XFL for the $10M purchase of the New York Guardians, XFL Commissioner Oliver Luck announced today.

"This group has helped shape the future by serving New York fans through the development of fan-friendly, year-round football," said Luck. "The XFL is emerging as a big-time, major league and Mr. Wang and his partners are going to play a large part in that development.

Steel Purchased by Former CFL Owner Speros

August 18, 2001

Birmingham, AL - Jim Speros, the former owner of the CFL Baltimore Stallions, alongside Speros Ventures LLC including legendary NFL coach Joe Gibbs, have purchased the Birmingham Steel for $10M. Speros was the owner of the Stallions from 1995 to 1997 when the CFL disbanded their American teams.

Speros chose the Steel, because he liked the idea of not having to compete with the NFL for media attention in the city. "We're another entertainment option, along with movies and concerts and festivals," he said. "If we provide a good product, which we think we do, then we're confident that people will come see us." Speros outbid former Birmingham Fire's owner Gavin Maloof and Birmingham Barracudas' Artur L. Williams for the Steel franchise.

Welcome the Commanders to the XFL

August 28, 2001

San Antonio, TX - The XFL announced their 9th franchise and first expansion team for the 2002 season, and it's the San Antonio Commanders. The Commanders are being brought to the league by former San Antonio Riders of the World League of American Football owner, Larry Benson along with Benson Sports LLC, who is the younger brother of New Orleans Saints' owner Tom Benson for $10M. The Commanders are going to remind a lot of people of the Riders, and should help those fans immediately support the Commanders as the Commanders announced that former Riders' Head Coach Mike Riley will be taking the reigns of this San Antonio franchise as well. Riley spent the last three seasons as the Head Coach of the San Diego Chargers before being relieved of his duties earlier this year. Joining Riley will be former Riders' staff members Paul Chryst, Bill Bradley and John Peterson. Bradley and Peterson will be returning to their former roles of defensive coordinator and general manager while Chryst will now be the offensive coordinator on top of his coaching the offensive line duties.

“This was the only place I wanted to be, it's always going to be a home for us,” he said. “We were supposed to play our(Riders) first game in the Alamodome after the 1992 season but the league was suspended, so I’ve been waiting for that one for a while. I think it's time for the city to get a team and the window for spring football is great for across America and I think fans will embrace it. If it's done correctly and put in a good position to do well, which is what's happening with the XFL, than this will be a lot of fun."

“It’s a blessing to bring football to the city of San Antonio again, I think the city has been waiting for this for a while” Benson said. “Coach Mike Riley and John Peterson are great football minds that will help lead this team and the city in the right direction.”

"San Antonio has always been on the top of our list as a city that's hungry for football, in a state that's crazy about the game. We're confident our commitment to putting high-quality football on the field, fueled by an alliance between fans, players and the game, will resonate with this community. The city of San Antonio is ready for a professional football team and we feel honored to be welcomed into their dynamic city," said Dick Ebersol, XFL co-founder. "Not only does San Antonio have a large population of football fans, it has a first-class stadium to host them in. The Alamodome is a perfect backdrop for the San Antonio Commanders, and we are eager to give this city a competitive team, led by coach Mike Riley, that they can rally around and support."

"The XFL keeps our long-term commitments to fans and partners. We're proud to make our first market expansion to San Antonio, an original 1980s USFL city with a deep history as a terrific sports region," said XFL Commissioner Oliver Luck. "The XFL has come home to San Antonio because fans here share our passion to celebrate football as much as we do."

Maloof Family Purchase Outlaws

September 1, 2001

Las Vegas, NV - Gavin Maloof, alongside his brothers with the Maloof Sports LLC, who also own the NBA's Sacramento Kings and WNBA Sacramento Monarchs, and were former owners of the Birmingham Fire from the WLAF have purchased the Las Vegas Outlaws for $10M. Maloff was originally interested in purchasing the XFL's Birmingham Steel but was outbid by Jim Speros for the franchise.

XFL Express Delivery for Memphis

September 5, 2001

Memphis, TN - Frederick W. Smith along with FedEx Express Sports LLC, including William Dunavant, the former owner of the USFL Memphis Showboats, is bringing the city of Memphis and the Express to the XFL for the 2002 season for $10M. Smith, the founder of FedEx, was the owner of the CFL's Memphis Mad Dogs in 1995. Smith, Dunavant and FedEx Express Sports LLC teamed up previously in a potential NFL expansion team bid in 1993 but their Memphis Hound Dogs creation was defeated by the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jaguars.

Bart Andrus, who served as the offensive coordinator for the Orlando Rage last season, will serve as the Head Coach for the Memphis Express. He will be joined by Vince Martino, David Duggan and Michael Lang on his staff. Martino and Duggan have both coached in NFL Europe for the last decade and will be great assets for Ehrhart in building this roster. Lastly, Smith introduced former Tennessee Volunteer and Pittsburgh Steelers' QB Tee Martin to the crowd as the team's starting QB. Martin was obviously announced to the crowd to drum up media attention and to get the whole state behind the XFL's newest team.

"Memphis is often referred to as 'America's largest small town.' It is a vibrant city full of culture and spirit, with so much to do and see, while at the same time, it's a such a strong, tight-knit community. It's no surprise that the city's population has grown significantly over the years," said Dick Ebersol, XFL co-founder. "With Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium packed each week in support of the Memphis Tigers, we're excited to bring more football to town and integrate the team into this community on and off the field with Coach Andrus leading the way."

Predators' Gruden Joins Arthur Williams' Staff in Orlando

October 6, 2001

Orlando, FL - With less than two weeks until the XFL draft period begins, the Orlando Rage have announced their new ownership group, which is led by former NHL Tampa Bay Lightning, and CFL Birmingham Barracudas' owner Arthur L. Williams with Williams Corporation Sports LLC for $10M.

In his first move with his franchise, Williams hired Orlando Predators' Head Coach Jay Gruden as the Rage's new offensive coordinator replacing Bart Andrus who took over as the Head Coach of the new Memphis Express franchise. Gruden is the younger brother of Tampa Bay Buccaneers Head Coach, Jon Gruden.

CFL Returning to Nation's Capitol

October 16, 2001

Montreal, QUEBEC - The CFL officially returned to Ottawa when they were guaranteed an expansion franchise on October 16. The ownership group led by Brad Watters unveiled the new franchise as the Ottawa Renegades, and plan to begin play in the 2002 season. Ottawa had been without a team since 1996, when the Ottawa Rough Riders folded. The logo chosen draws similarities to the logo used by the Rough Riders for much of their existence up until 1992.

Commanders and Express to Select from Field of 48

October 20, 2001

Memphis, TN - San Antonio and Memphis may choose a player from any current team who is designated as being "unprotected." Each team protected 32 players whose rights they control. All other players whose rights they control are deemed "unprotected" and hence eligible to be selected. XFL Free Agents are also draft eligible.

The draft, which is conducted via telephone conference, begins at 1:00 p.m. on October 22 and consists of 20 rounds. A maximum of five minutes per selection is allowed in each round. If the time limit expires, the pick is forfeited. Trades between the expansion team and other clubs are not allowed.

"We're really looking forward to the expansion draft," said Commanders' Head Coach Mike Riley. "This is where we get to build our team. Our entire coaching staff will continue to work very hard on evaluating players who will be available."

"It is difficult to pick only 32 players when we had such a strong regular season last year," said Rage head coach Galen Hall. "In a team sport the fact that you have to narrow things down and not keep some players who have all contributed is very difficult. We did it by position and focused on the positions that are hard to fill and our top performers. They were tough decisions but somebody had to make them."

"We have taken those key players from last year's squad that we felt were confident in their abilities, their love for the game and willingness to make the XFL a success," said Outlaws head coach Jim Criner. "Some are former NFL players who still have dreams of returning to the NFL and see this as an opportunity to continue playing football at a competitive level while showcasing their talents."

"Only protecting 32 players from the championship-winning roster that we assembled last season was a difficult decision," said Stars head coach Al Luginbill. "Many more of those players deserved to be back on this team, but football is a competitive business and we made our decision and have protected a group we feel is balanced and talented."

Commanders and Express Pick First Players in Expansion Draft

October 22, 2001

Memphis, TN - The San Antonio Commanders and Memphis Express each selected eight players in the XFL Expansion draft. The Commanders selected RB Ketric Sanford, WR Calvin Shexnayder, OL Derek West and Octavious Bishop, DL Jomo Cousins, LB Joe Cummings and DBs Terrell Sutton and Sedrick Curry. The Express selected QB Jim Arellanes, TE Marlon Chambers, OL O'Lester Pope and Oliver Ross, DL D.J. Cooper, Jon Kirksey and Abdul-Salam Noah and P Ignacio Brache.

"The expansion draft is the first of several avenues which we will use to field a competitive team in 2002," said Express head coach Bart Andrus. "These guys will add depth to our roster. Now that this is completed, we will look forward to the start of the Supplemental Draft next, which will give us a great opportunity to build our team."

XFL Adds Territorial Allocation Process

October 25, 2001

Greenwich, CT - XFL teams will now have two opportunities to improve their roster over the off-season, the Territorial Allocation Process and the Supplemental Draft. Each of the ten teams will be able to pick up to 8 players – with no team allowed to allocate more than one quarterback. Once the allocations are validated, the territorial players claimed by each team will be removed from a draft list that now exceeds 300 players. The Supplemental Draft will then take place in Chicago with 10 rounds scheduled with each team getting to a final total of 50 players for it's preseason roster. The XFL has the money, exposure, and the television contract to survive. A good team of recognizable players would almost guarantee success.

“You want to keep local kids home when you can,” XFL commissioner Oliver Luck said. “It creates fan interest. Our Birmingham team will have Alabama and Auburn, and that will draw some fan interest. It just makes sense. You’re bringing in guys people know. From a marketing standpoint it’s good, it allows players to stay home. Other leagues have done it and we’re absolutely committed to it and excited about it.”

The territorial draft schools for each team are as follows:
Birmingham: Alabama, Auburn, UAB
Chicago: Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame
Las Vegas: BYU, UNLV, Nebraska.
Los Angeles: San Diego State, Southern California, UCLA
Minneapolis: Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska
New York: Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse
Orlando: Florida, Miami, Central Florida
Dallas: Texas, Texas A&M, SMU, Houston
San Antonio: Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State
Memphis: Tennessee, Memphis, Vanderbilt

Six Quarterbacks Go in First Round of XFL Supplemental Draft

November 10, 2001

Greenwich, CT - The XFL held their Supplemental Draft with the San Antonio Commanders selecting QB Michael Bishop with the first overall pick. Bishop was one of six QBs selected in the first round of the draft. The Memphis Express selected WR Tony Simmons with the second pick, while the Las Vegas Outlaws traded with the Birmingham Steel to acquire the No. 3 pick to select WR Marcus Nash. Birmingham selected QB Spergon Wynn at No. 4, while the Minneapolis Wild rounded out the top five by taking WR Sean Morey with the fifth pick. DL DeAngelo Lloyd, QB Jarious Jackson, WR Randy Gatewood, WR Dante Hall, QB Joe Hamilton, QB Clint Stoerner and QB Todd Husak. The draft enabled the league's ten teams to grow their roster throughout the ten rounds.

"Michael Bishop was my top target of all the quarterbacks that I worked out. I think that he is the prototypical quarterback. Using his combination of size, fast feet, quick release, accuracy and intelligence, my expectations and standards for him are very high at this point. I think that he has a very good chance of excelling in this game given the opportunity. Dante Hall is a tremendous addition to our team," stated Riley. "He is a world class sprinter with outstanding size and excellent hands. He is a great NFL talent, who is still raw regarding the intricacies of the game. I would see no reason for him not to excel."

Birmingham Steel Building Roster with in-state Talent

November 16, 2001

Birmingham, AL - "The way the XFL is set it up, it should be equal throughout all eight teams," head coach Gerry DiNardo said, "because every team has the rights to enough players, they've done numbers on how many have been drafted into the NFL, so it should come out equal. Now we don't think that way. We think we're going to get some excellent players from those schools. Alabama, Auburn, UAB, some of our schools that have a lot of guys going into the NFL, but they have a lot make it and stay on NFL rosters. But we will have several good players from those allocated schools of ours. Let me put it this way: I'm glad we've got them."

"The roster will continue to take shape over the month," DiNardo said. "Our staff has done a fantastic job of putting it together thus far, and the fans will see some familiar faces. We're committed to bringing home a championship. That's the goal of the coaching staff and our organization. That's what we're working toward. The fans can expect high-quality football being played at Legion Field in the spring. They better get their tickets, and they better get ready for a good show."

XFL Training Camps Open

January 6, 2002

Greenwich, CT - The time for talk, analysis and anticipation is over. It is time for the teams of the XFL to take the field. "There is a lot of anticipation for our second season to start and once teams get underway at training camp, there really is that excitement of the kickoff only being a short time away," said XFL Commissioner Oliver Luck. "This year our fans can follow their teams' progress in the five home cities and as part of our promise to bring the fans closer to the action, elements of all training camps are open to the public."

"We're really looking forward to it," said Stars Head Coach Al Luginbill. "Everything we do every day contributes to our success. We all got into coaching to develop players on the field and develop a team. Now, the season is upon us, and it's exciting."

"The first few days of practice will be an awakening for the the players joining together and beginning practice as a cohesive unit," said Luck. "Our coaches have told us that this group of players has equal talent to that of any other players they have coached and fans will be impressed when the teams take the field in three weeks. The players understand that most of them are being given a second opportunity to play professional football and are eager to train hard and show their talents."

Las Vegas Outlaws Sign Phillips

January 10, 2002

Las Vegas, NV - Troubled running back Lawrence Phillips is returning to professional football, but not with the NFL. The former first round pick of the St. Louis Rams, Phillips signed with the XFL’s Las Vegas Outlaws. "We’re pleased to have Lawrence with us,″ said Jim Criner, Outlaws’ head coach. "He’s a player, and his versatility as a runner and pass catcher will open up our offensive chances. Having a gifted athlete like Lawrence should definitely help us.″

Stars Starting QB a Mystery

January 20, 2002

Los Angeles, CA - As the opening of the Stars training camp nears, Head Coach Al Luginbill will have a lot of decisions to make, including who will be the team's starting quarterback in 2002. The battle between Scott Milanovich and Sherdrick Bonner may go right down to the last second, which is why Luginbill is remaining tight lipped on the situation at the present time.

"Any decision on quarterbacking duties won't be made until the end of our training camp," said the coach. "We will be reviewing the play of the three quarterbacks currently on our roster and any others we might invite to camp. Beyond that, I have no other comments."

Dallas and Minneapolis Swap Linemen

January 25, 2002

Dallas, TX - The Dallas Desperados have acquired DL Shante Carver from the Minneapolis Wild in a trade for OL Ben Nichols. "We are excited to bring Carver here to Dallas," said Desperados head coach Jerry Glanville. "He is a big time pass rusher with NFL experience and veteran leadership. He will be a great addition to our team."

Chicago Acquires Jordan for Pilgram From Minneapolis

January 28, 2002

Chicago, IL - The Chicago Enforcers acquired veteran WR Charles Jordan from the Minneapolis Wild in exchange for OL Evan Pilgram and RB Brent Moss. "Evan is a proven NFL offensive lineman and he will help solidify us at the center position," said Minneapolis head coach Wayne Fontes. "It was tough to give up Charles Jordan, he has been productive throughout his career in the XFL."
Last edited by BengalErnst on Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:54 pm, edited 46 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:02 pm

XFL 2002 Roster Update

February 1, 2002

The 2nd XFL season is a mere three days away, and organizations have completely wrapped up their training camps along with their two preseason games and are now as prepared as they can be for the regular season. It should be a fun season ahead as the league had a lot of big names to replace across the board, and we will break it all down for you and get you just as ready for the 2002 XFL season!

2001 Recap - The Desperados showed how important it was to have two good quarterbacks. Pat Barnes did a fine job filling in for the injured Mike Pawlawski when called upon. The running game showed some life after Kelvin Anderson replaced former NFL RB Vaughn Dunbar was released. Travis Moore, James Hundon and Jimmy Cunningham complement each other nicely on the outside. The defensive secondary was strong, led by Kevin Kaesviharn, who tied for third in the league with six interceptions. That pair of matchups versus the Stars at the end of the season sent them home with a bad taste in their mouth.

2002 Dallas Desperados - HC Jerry Glanville, OC Wes Chandler, DC Steve Carson, GM Drew Pearson, QBs Clint Stoerner, Pat Barnes and Stoney Case, RBs Carlos King, Jamie Reader, Terry Battle and Juan Johnson, WRs Jimmy Cunningham, James Hundon, Damian Vaughn, Mareno Philyaw, Gary Compton, Jason Shelley and Brian Roberson, TEs Brian Roche, Joe Kavanaugh and Sean Manuel, OL Scott Scifres, Bernard Holsey, Seth Dittman, Calvin Collins, Pita Elisara and Jeff Buckey, DL Emile Palmer, Albrey Battle, Eric England, Colston Weatherington, Ernest Allen, Mike Ulufale, Shante Carver and Jermaine Miles, LBs Otis Floyd, Jon Haskins, Sam Manuel, Craig Powell and James Williams, DBs Wendell Davis, Kareem Larrimore, Dwayne Harper, Willie Gary, Terrance Joseph, Tim Carter, Greg Williams and Hassan Shamsid-Deen, K Scott Bentley and P Mike Panasuk

2002 Preview - Dallas lost QB Mike Pawlawski to retirement, RB Kelvin Anderson, WR Travis Moore and DB Kevin Kaesviharn to other leagues so they'll have some work to do if they want to get back to the championship game. The former Pittsburgh Steelers castoff King will likely be the starter in the backfield, but he will likely be a major downgrade at the position. Owner Stephen Jones brought in two Texans to compete for the starting job at QB in Stoerner and Case but both were wildly inconsistent at their last stops but Barnes isn't ready to lead this franchise yet. He still needs time to develop as a passer.

2001 Recap - The Stars' offense ran on all cylinders. Quarterback Tommy Maddox led the XFL with 2186 yards and eighteen touchdowns. Darnell McDonald and Jermaine Copeland were the best one-two wide receiver combination in the league, combining for 102 receptions for 1211 yards and thirteen touchdowns. The running attack, led by Rashaan Shehee and Saladin McCullough, underwhelmed a little bit and posed no real threat to opposing defenses. DB Terry Billups is the guiding force, while LB Brendon Ayanbadejo was all over the field for the defense. This was the most complete team in the league and it showed down the stretch.

2002 Los Angeles Stars - HC Al Luginbill, OC Jim Barker, DC Bob Valesente, GM John Elway, QBs Scott Milanovich, Todd Husak and Sherdrick Bonner, RBs Ken Oxendine, Frank Leatherwood, Chad Dukes and Rashaan Shehee, WRs Darnell McDonald, Jeremaine Copeland, Todd Doxzon, Latario Rachal, Damon Gibson and Damon Dunn, TEs Tremayne Allen, Austin Wheatley and Josh Wilcox, OL Bruce Beaton, Kris Farris, Donta Kendrick, Scott Whittaker, Dan Greer, Jonathan Himebauch, Bobby Singh, Jose Portilla, Nate Miller and Chris Brymer, DL Ramondo Stallings, Curtis Eason, Damonte McKenzie, Corey Callens, Eric Johnson, Matt Keneley and Chad Pegues, LBs Brendon Ayanbadejo, Steve Russ, Sekou Sanyika, Rico Mack, Juan Long and Shawn Stuckey, DBs Clifton Abraham, Reggie Durden, Than Merrill, Leomont Evans, Dell McGee, Donnell Day and Terry Billups, K Jason Malecki and P Andrew Bayes

2002 Preview - The defending champions are a hard team to get a read on at the moment, they brought back dynamic weapons, Copeland and McDonald but losing league MVP Tommy Maddox along with starting RB Saladin McCullough would be impossible for any team to replace. Milanovich didn't perform well in spot duty last year and Bonner has spent the last decade playing for the Arizona Rattlers in the arena league. Shehee and Oxendine will compete for carries but both served as backups to McCullough last season. There's no way around it, this team is a shell of what they were last year.

2001 Recap - The Outlaws must be more productive on offense. Neither Mark Grieb or Ryan Clement, could move the ball consistently enough against the top teams in the league. WRs Yo Murphy and Mike Furrey made plays when given the opportunity. RB Rod Smart received more attention because of his nickname, than for his on-field performance but finished second in the XFL with 555 yards rushing behind a stout offensive line led by Lonnie Palelei. The defense was the big story for the Outlaws, yielding only eight points a game. Kelvin Kinney tied for the league lead in sacks with ten and Brandon Sanders led the XFL with eight interceptions. LB Kurt Gouveia got everyone lined up correctly while Joe Tuipala established himself as the best linebacker in the league.

2002 Las Vegas Outlaws - HC Jim Criner, OC Joe Paopao, DC Mark Criner, GM Bob Ackles, QBs Mark Grieb, Giovanni Carmazzi and Ryan Clement, RBs Pepe Pearson, Lawrence Phillips, Ben Snell and Chrys Chukwuma, WRs Mike Furrey, Marcus Nash, Tamarick Vanover, Steve Papin, Eric Guliford and Nakia Jenkins, TEs Rickey Brady, Terry Hardy and Keith Jennings, OL Tony Berti, Jon Blackman, Kaulana Noa, Lamont Burns, Aaron Hamilton, Patrick Kesi, Anthony Cesario, Mark Nori and Lonnie Palelei, DL Antonio Edwards, Kelvin Kinney, Stacy Evans, Dorian Boose, Michael Mason, Carl Simpson and Angel Rubio, LBs Joe Tuipala, Kurt Gouveia, Masafumi Kawaguchi, Jonathan Jackson, Mike Crawford and Toran James, DBs Jamel Williams, Kory Blackwell, Hurley Tarver, Deke Cooper, Antonio Banks, Wade Davis, Brandon Sanders and Chris Bayne, K Mike Black and P Marcus Williams

2002 Preview - The former 3rd round pick of the San Francisco 49ers, Giovanni Carmazzi, spent last year starting for the Rhein Fire in NFL Europe, never took a snap in the NFL and got cut earlier this year. He will make a three headed competition for the starting job in Las Vegas. Neither Clement or Grieb separated themselves from one another despite having numerous chances to do so last year. However, the new ownership made a statement that they were going to do what it took to make the Outlaws competitive by signing the top RB, WR and KR on the market. Phillips, the former #6 overall pick of the St. Louis Rams, has always had the talent of a top RB but he hasn't been able to stay out of his own way. Let's hope this is finally the time for him to put it all together. Nash was another former NFL first round draft pick who has bounced around a bit, he has the talent to be a top 5 WR in this league while Vanover was absolutely dynamic as a return man for the Kansas City Chiefs for five seasons but never quite developed as a WR, so amidst some off the field incidents they cut him loose. The defense was the best in the league last year and they brought back almost everyone so should return to form. This team has the talent to be a championship favorite but the possible chemistry of a natural disaster. Should be interesting to see what happens.

2001 Recap - This team was up and down all season going an amazing 0-5 on home turf. It was smart for the Wild to turn to QB Jim Druckenmiller the last seven games. He played well, throwing for 1499 yards and 13 TDs. RB Rashaan Salaam led the league in rushing before getting hurt but had five fumbles in six games. That was one of his downfalls while playing in the NFL and turnovers killed the Wild, leading the league with 24 total. Injuries also hurt the Wild. They also lost leading WR Kevin Prentiss who tore his ACL in a loss to the Rage which slowed the passing game despite WRs Daryl Hobbs and Charles Jordan really stepping up towards the end of the season. Defensively, they struggled to put pressure on opposing quarterbacks and all of that was too much to overcome in the clearly tougher division.

2002 Minneapolis Wild - HC Wayne Fontes, OC Jim Skipper, DC David Catapano, GM Stever Ortmayer, QBs Jim Druckenmiller, Ron Powlus and Craig Whelihan, RBs Rashaan Salaam, Rafael Cooper and Roosevelt Potts, WRs Kevin Prentiss, Jeff Ogden, Jay Jones, Willis Marshall, Mike Horacek, Sean Morey and Damien Dodson, TE AJ Ofodile, Jay Tant and Mark Thomas, OL Harry Boatswain, Isaac Davis, Thomas Guynes, Jesse James, Evan Pilgram, Glenn Rountree, Ben Nichols, Mike Sheldon and Tim Seymour, DL Antonio Anderson, Carl Hansen, Ron Warner, Daniel Benetka, Lamanzer Williams, Tramont Lawless, Marvin Thomas and Leonta Rheams, LBs Richard Hogans, Paris Lenon, Cornell Menafee, Tarek Saleh, Patrick Sapp and Caspor Stiles, DBs Corey Sawyer, Delphfine Lee, Rashidi Barnes, Carlos James, Michael Booker, Tyrone Bell, Reggie Hunt, Kevin Cobb and Chris Canty, K Ola Kimrin and P Brent Bartholomew

2002 Preview - Former Notre Dame standout Powlus was brought in to compete with Druckenmiller after the team lost QB Marcus Crandell to the CFL Calgary Stampeders. Crandall just led that team to the CFL championship but couldn't find any consistency in the XFL. Druckenmiller had success last year for the Wild when he was healthy, but that seems to be an issue. Druckenmiller is likely to miss the first few weeks of the season after hurting his shoulder in the preseason. Salaam and Potts may be the best RB-FB combo in the league but the offensive line doesn't give them many running lanes. The defense has stars at all three levels, but holes also. This team could be a threat if they can survive the beginning stretch of the season and the offensive line can gel.

2001 Recap - The San Antonio Commanders are a 2002 expansion franchise.

2002 San Antonio Commanders - HC Mike Riley, OC Paul Chryst, DC Bill Bradley, GM John Peterson, QBs Michael Bishop, Kevin Daft and Glenn Foley, RBs Aaron Stecker, Ontiwaun Carter, Jesse Haynes and Ketric Sanford, WRs Dante Hall, Thabiti Davis, Justin Swift, Marco Martos, Calvin Shexnayder, Ahmad Merritt and LC Stevens, TEs Johnny Huggins, Marcus Williams and Rodrick Monroe, OL Rome Douglas, John Feugill, Steve Herndon, Derek West, Chris Watton, Octavious Bishop, Wilbert Brown, Reggie Nelson and Corey Hulsey, DL Derrick Ham, Chartric Darby, Rameel Connor, Jomo Cousins, David Hoelscher, Dwight Johnson and Chris Snyder, LBs Corey Atkins, Muadianvita Kazadi, Gary Stills, Cornelius Anthony, Joe Cummings, Antonio Wilson, and Kelvin Moses, DBs Duane Hawthorne, Bashir Levingston, Sedrick Curry, DeAuntae Brown, Mark Ricks, Terrell Sutton, Anthony Malbrough and JoJuan Armour, K Jesus Angoy and P Steve McLauglin

2002 Preview - This expansion team should be able to compete right away in the Western Conference because of their familiarity with one another. The coaching staff all worked together with the San Antonio Riders for a few years and shouldn't take very long to get back on the same page. Bishop, Daft and Foley are all young prospects that will battle for the starting gig. We'll roll with the former New England Patriot Michael Bishop. Bishop was suppose to be the future in New England but they found Tom Brady and that made him expendable. Stecker, Hall, Merritt and Stevens have all been standouts in NFL Europe the last few years and should make for one of the more talented offenses in the league. The defense will have to do just enough so the offense can outscore people.

2001 Recap - The Guardians struggled both on offense and defense. QB Charles Puleri played poorly for two and a half games before he was pulled in favor of Wally Richardson. The former Penn Stater played better, but made some key mistakes. The lone bright spot on offense was RB Joe Aska, who led the team in rushing after replacing Keith Elias. The defense was also very inconsistent but improved drastically down the stretch leading the team to finish just one game out of the playoff race. DL Dwayne Sabb, Isreal Raybon and Christian Maumalanga made up the toughest defensive front in the league to run while DBs Damen Wheeler, Butler B'ynote and Brad Trout made QBs pay for errant passes.

2002 New York Guardians - HC Ron Meyer, OC Joe Lombardi, DC Doug Graber, GM Steve Ehrhart, QBs Corte McGuffey, Moses Moreno and Wally Richardson, RBs Dino Philyaw, Herbert Goodman, Ralph Dawkins and Joe Aska, WRs Fred Brock, Craig Yeast, Kirby Dar Dar, Gari Scott, Zola Davis, Will Blackwell and Anthony DiCosmo, TEs Ryan Collins and Marcus Hinton, OL Ben Cavil, Harvey Goins, Matt O'Neal, Curtis McGee, Chris Janek, Darnell Alford, Juan Porter, Troy Stark and David Camacho, DL Dwayne Sabb, Jermaine Smith, Israel Raybon, DeAngelo Lloyd, R-Kal Truluck, Christian Maumalanga, Tom Briggs, James Cotton and Henry Slay, LBs Vernon Crawford, Haven Fields, Ben Hanks, Antico Dalton, Bernard Russ and Ron Merkerson, DBs Damen Wheeler, Donnie Caldwell, Tawambi Settles, Butler B'ynote, Calvin Branch, Cecil Doggette, Joey Eloms, Mark Tate and Tyree Talton, K John Markham and P Leo Araguz

2002 Preview - The former San Diego Chargers' QB Moses Moreno was brought in to compete with McGuffey and Richardson for the starting gig, and if he doesn't win the job then this team is in trouble. Both Richardson and McGuffey struggled last season in their opportunities. Aska and Philyaw are solid backup RBs, not starting caliber for this league and the WRs have a solid group of number twos but we don't see a guy that will command a double team. The defensive line and secondary will be good enough to slow down most teams, but we don't see this team scoring enough points to compete this year.

2001 Recap - The Rage was the most dominant team in the XFL jumping out to a 6-0 start before losing QB Jeff Brohm to injury. Which wasn't a real surprise, considering their coach Galen Hall won two championships in NFL Europe. The Rage showed a lot of heart finishing the season with backup Brian Kuklick. The Rage had the best one-two running back combination in Derrick Clark and Michael Black. With the lead in their favor, the Rage turned to ball control and give the ball to Clark and Black. When the need came to throw the ball, they had Dialleo Burks as tall possession receiver and Mario Bailey as the speed threat. Burks caught 38 passes for 659 yards and 7 TDs. The defense was led by LB James Burgess and was overall solid, evident by its lack of big plays allowed. The Rage pounded on a pretty weak Eastern division.

2002 Orlando Rage - HC Galen Hall, OC Jay Gruden, DC Pete Kuharchek, GM Tom Veit, QBs Joe Hamilton, Danny Wuerffel and Brian Kuklick, RBs Michael Black, James Williams, Derrick Clark and Brian Shay, WRs Mario Bailey, Dialleo Burks, Todd Floyd, Travis McGriff, James Bowden, Shannon Culver and Tony Gaiter, and TEs Lawrence Hart, Dave Stachelski and Terrance Huston, OL Jeremy Akers, Dan Collins, Cal Dixon, Jason Gamble, Sean Love, Garin Patrick, Cheston Blackshear, Jeff Miller, Doug Lytle and Kelvin Ingram, DL Mark Campbell, Thaddeus Bullard, Cecil Caldwell, Sedric Clark, Bill Duff, Andre Purvis and James Roberson, LBs Shawn Banks, Eugene McCaslin, Keith Miller, James Burgess, Rashad Harris, Jimmy Clements and Kevin Jefferson, DBs Ricky Bell, Derrick Gardner, Tommy Henry, Central McClellion, Clevan Thomas, Corey Harris, Bret Cooper, Tremain Mack, Stephen Fisher and Marcus Ray, K Jay Taylor and P Steve Videtich

2002 Preview - The former Georgia Tech standout and Tampa Bay Buccaneer Hamilton and Florida Gator legend and NFL journeyman will compete for the starting job and may dictate how this offense will look as both are completely different players. New offensive coordinator Jay Gruden was brought in and he will want to throw the ball all around the field so we expect Wuerffel to win the job, but expect some packages for the athleticism of Hamilton. Clark, Black and Shay is one of the better backfield trios in the league so they're deep there, and the WRs are as talented as they come. However, it is interesting that it's Jeff Brohm's job to help replace Jeff Brohm, as last year's All-XFL team QB is now the QBs coach. The LBs core is perhaps the league's best, but the secondary had to be completely rebuilt. Not a great formula for success in such a passing league.

2001 Recap - Birmingham finished with only two wins while losing their last seven games. QBs Casey Weldon and Jay Barker both struggled, throwing behind the Bolts' woeful offensive line. Neither guy was given enough time to throw the ball and took a lot of hits and sacks. Former NFL WR Stepfret Williams had a big year with 60 receptions for 828 yards and two touchdowns regardless. Getting behind early and often prevented the Bolts from establishing a successful ground game. RB James Bostic was a quality talent with 536 yards rushing and two touchdowns. The defense was terrible in all facets despite LB James Willis' best efforts.

2002 Birmingham Steel - HC Gerry DiNardo, OC Kippy Brown, DC Curley Hallman, DC Tim Berryman, QBs Spergon Wynn, Jay Barker and Eric Kresser, RBs Curtis Alexander, Vershan Jackson, Madre Hill and James Bostic, WRs Stepfret Williams, Quincy Jackson, Trevor Insley, Kevin Drake, Dwaune Jones, Joe Douglass and Kaipo McGuire, TEs Ed Smith, Scott Thompson and Reggie Johnson, OL Ed King, Ozell Powell, Michael Lies, Jay Hagood, Matt Hogg, BJ Cohen, Jarvis Borum, Mike Edwards and Antonio Fleming, DL Quinton Reese, Charles Preston, Cedric Pittman, Emarlos Leroy, Jon Harris, Jarrett Loggins and James Brumbaugh, LBs Dion Foxx, Keith Franklin, Julian Duncan, Malcolm Hamilton, Jamal Brooks and James Willis, DBs Duane Butler, Calvin Jackson, Dwayne Stukes, Toya Jones, Eric Sloan, Rodregis Brooks, Damon Mason and Chris Shelling, K Brad Palazzo and P Rodney Williams

2002 Preview - The former Cleveland Browns' QB Wynn tore it up last year in NFL Europe throwing for 2039 yards and 14 TDs for the Amsterdam Admirals before getting traded to the Minnesota Vikings this offseason. Todd Bouman beat him out for the backup job and now he's here in the XFL as a 24 year old with huge upside. Kresser was also a solid addition to the room, but he's not ready to play with his injured shoulder. Bostic is a very talented RB and should give the offense balance. The offensive line, TEs and WRs rooms are all above average. The defense lacks depth and injuries set it back last year. We would've liked to see more additions on that side of the ball, but in the XFL, offense wins games.

2001 Recap - The Memphis Express are a 2002 expansion franchise.

2002 Memphis Express - HC Bart Andrus, OC Vince Martino, DC David Duggan, GM Michael Lang, QBs Tee Martin, Kevin Thompson and Jim Arellanes, RBs Darnell Autry, Norman Miller, Frank Moreau and Sedrick Shaw, WRs Andy McCullough, Terrill Shaw, Alonzo Johnson, Randy Gatewood, Jarrick Hillery, Jason Waters and Tony Simmons, TEs James Hill, Marlon Chambers and John Waerig, OL Dennis O'Sullivan, Joe Wong, Ian Rafferty, Brad Williams, O'Lester Pope, Oliver Ross, LeShun Daniels, Lennie Friedman and Robert Hicks, DL Johnathon Brown, Gillis Wilson, Moses Harper, Mao Tosi, Winfield Garnett, Jon Kirksey, Jabbar Threats, D.J. Cooper and Abdul-Salam Noah, LBs Donnie Spragan, Marc Megna, Rupert Grant, Dwaine Carpenter, OJ Childress and Jamir Miller, DBs Blaine McElmurry, Quincy Coleman, DeShone Mallard, Darwin Brown, Jahi Henley, Tim Strickland, Jon Hesse and Nick Ferguson, K Axel Kruse and P Ignacio Brache

2002 Preview - This is the other expansion team and this is the one that looks more like an expansion team. Local legend Tee Martin was a superior signing and will put butts in the seats, but the rest of the roster looks a lot like the coaching staff, just thrown together without much of a plan. Not sure where this team will be able to hang their hat. Martin was able to take the Rhein Fire to the World Bowl in the last year of it's existence, but he can't win games all on his own.

2001 Recap - The Enforcers played good competitive football and climbed their way into the playoffs at 5-5. Three of their losses came down to the final minutes. QB Kevin McDougal replaced the ineffective Tim Lester, who went 0-4 as a starter. McDougal stepped in and posted a 15-13 victory over the Las Vegas Outlaws and earned XFL player of the week honors in his first game. His mobility is an asset to the team. RB John Avery, once a first-round draft pick with the NFL's Miami Dolphins, was a stud at running back. Anytime he touched the ball, he was capable of scoring. On the season, Avery had 800 yards rushing and 379 yards receiving. The defense ranked amongst the league's worst even with the best defensive player in the league taking away half the field in DB Corey Ivy.

2002 Chicago Enforcers - HC Rusty Tillman, OC Peter Vaas, DC Jim Tomsula, GM Dick Butkus, QBs Jarious Jackson, Leon Murray and Kevin McDougal, RBs Brent Moss, Andre Bowden, LeShon Johnson and Charles Wiley, WRs Roell Preston, Antonio Chatman, Aaron Bailey, Andre Cooper, Charles Jordan, Zechariah Lord and Luther Leverson, TEs William Tate, Tim Martin and Tyji Armstrong, OL Paul Janus, Derrick Turner, Chris Perez, Bryan LaBelle, Rob Murphy and Tony Ramirez, DL Matt Finkes, Nathan Davis, Larry Fitzpatrick, John Milem, Cleveland Pinkney, Sterling Palmer and Hubert Thompson, LBs Jamie Baisley, Troy Pelshak, Chike Egbuniwe, Jude Waddy, Carlos Timmons and Casey Dailey, DBs Raymond Austin, Jordan Younger, Jason Bray, Cornelius Coe, Gary Berry, Troy Saunders and Kerry Cooks, K Andy Crosland and P Brian Gowins

2002 Preview - The former Notre Dame and Denver Broncos' QB Jackson didn't get much of a look in the NFL but he thrived with the Barcelona Dragons in NFL Europe when he got some playing time. However, he's not going to just be given the starting job in Chicago. McDougal played quite well at the end of the season and was able to get the Enforcers into the playoffs despite their horrible start to the season. Bailey, Lord and Preston will give whoever is under center some dangerous weapons in the passing game and somehow the team was able to bring back both Avery and Johnson in the backfield despite both guys having offers to join other leagues. The defense lost All-XFL DB Corey Ivy though, and there is no way to replace him. He's about to be a starter in the NFL and there isn't another Ivy on any roster in this league.
Last edited by BengalErnst on Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:25 am, edited 71 times in total.
BengalErnst

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: Pro Football Dynasty Reports