United Football League - The story of the XFL-USFL Merger

Re: United Football League - The story of the XFL-USFL Merge

Postby BengalErnst » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:09 am

Legends Make Change at Defensive Coordinator

February 10, 2020

Los Angeles, CA - Head Coach Winston Moss is making modifications to his coaching staff following the Los Angeles Legends loss to the Houston Roughnecks on Saturday. As of Monday morning, Pepper Johnson was relieved of his duties as the team's defensive coordinator with Martin Bayless being promoted to the position.

"We recognize that there are issues we need to address for the 2020 season. While these decisions are difficult, we have given this significant thought. We are here to put the best possible product on the field for our fans. We thank Pepper for his contributions to the Legends and we are looking forward to our home opener this weekend."

The Rock and RedBird Capital Purchase the Apollos

February 13, 2020

Orlando, FL - Dwayne Johnson, alongside his ex-wife Dany Garcia, and RedBird Capital Partners LLC have purchased the Orlando Apollos for $10M. Dwayne Johnson, a former WWE superstar for Vince McMahon was also a former professional football player in the Canadian Football League for the Calgary Stampeders. RedBird Capital Partners LLC is a private investment firm focused on building high-growth companies with flexible, long term capital possibilities.

Johnson at a press conference in Orlando, “I have a huge passion for the game of football, and have been interested in this league since I first heard about the idea from Vince. I can't believe me, Dany, and RedBird, now are owners of a professional football team with Steve Spurrier and Tim Tebow evolved. All glory to God.”

XFL Week 2:

February 14, 2020

Orlando, FL -

-- (1-0)Stallions 34 - 28 Apollos(1-0)
(STL): QB Streveler - 7/17 89 yards, 14 carries, 95 yards, 1 TD, RB Mason - 13 carries, 89 yards, 1 TD, WR Jones - 2 catches, 28 yards
(ORL): QB Gilbert - 26/40 430 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, RB Johnson - 16 carries, 93 yards, WR Moncrief - 10 catches, 207 yards, WR Marshall - 4 catches, 114 yards, 1 TD, WR Johnson - 3 catches, 42 yards

XFL Week 2: Thurman, DC Defense Thrive in XFL's First Shutout

February 15, 2020

Washington, DC - The Washington Defenders defense continued its dominance with three sacks, two interceptions and a forced fumble to help it record the first shutout of 2020, beating the New York Guardians, 27-0. After a strong Week 1 that featured two defensive touchdowns and 48 combined tackles, the Defenders locked down Guardians QB Matt McGloin, holding the former Oakland Raider to just eight completions and 44 total yards. Tallying up 35 combined tackles and the team's third defensive touchdown, a league-best, LB Jameer Thurman said he believes his team's defensive presence sets a standard. "We are a different kind of defense over here," he said. "We got a certain discipline; we always want to stick to a certain standard, and we showed that today with the goose egg up there, not giving them any points at all. "It feels great."

The Defenders' first drive started deep in their territory. Despite early trouble from the Guardians' defense, QB Cardale Jones kept things moving with a 14-yard scramble on 4th-and-2 from New York's 47-yard line and capped off by a 13-yard touchdown pass to WR DeAndre Thompkins to put the Defenders up 6-0 early in the first quarter. After the score, the Defenders defense came out and clamped down on the Guardians. Two plays into the drive, following a big hit from LB Scooby Wright, DB Rahim Moore forced a strip-fumble from behind and recovered the ball to give it back to the Defenders. Defenders LB Jameer Thurman celebrates after he returned an interception returned for a touchdown. An interception to Defenders' DB Matt Elam on the following drive extended the early trouble for the Guardians, who simply could not get their offense going, tallying under 100 yards in the first half.

Two field goals from K Ty Rausa put the Defenders up 12-0 heading into halftime. McGloin, who had only five completions and 32-yards for a 36-percent completion percentage in the first half, called the output embarrassing, and said the Guardians needed to change their game plan. The second half didn't go any better for the Guardians' offense. McGloin threw a pick-six to Thurman four plays into the first drive. "We were in zone, Thurman said. "I saw two (receivers). So I went inside, 'cause I knew someone would be coming back to me. I was just in the right place at the right time. Our D-line got pressure on the play, so he had to get the ball out and then I just caught it and ran in."

Defenders defensive coordinator Louie Cioffi praised his entire defense for their sacrifices on the field. "I'm really proud of these guys, they executed our plan flawlessly," he said. "The great thing about this is guys are sacrificing being with their families and are doing this for the love of football. Every one of these guys will have this for the rest of their lives. This is the first shutout in Defenders' history and I'm proud of these guys."

Washington head coach Pep Hamilton followed Cioffi in the postgame press conference with praise for the team's overall play. "You talk about physicality now," Hamilton said. "Our guys were physical, they were aggressive to the football and, once again, we were able to take the ball away. We look forward to winning our next couple games and getting back here."

After the game, Guardians head coach Kevin Gilbride spoke to the media and expressed his displeasure, "I'm disappointed with how we played, and that's on me. When you play as poorly as we did today, one of two things is going to happen. You will either recognize that this wasn't good enough and you're going to dig down deeper and you're going to rally each other and inspire each other. Or you splinter apart." Gilbride continued, "I thought our defense played inspired football, it's not wasted. The effort that was put forth, it was quite an example of how to go about your business. Knowing the character that was demonstrated today, I would be very very surprised if we don't rally around each other and come back ready to play next week."

-- (1-0)Guardians 0 - 27 Defenders(1-0)
(NY): QB McGloin - 8/19 44 yards, 2 INTs, QB Williams - 4/8 51 yards, RB Cook - 10 carries, 39 yards, RB Victor - 5 carries, 32 yards, WR McKay - 3 catches, 30 yards
(DC): QB Jones - 20/34 276 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, RB Pressley - 12 carries, 52 yards, RB Pumphrey - 16 carries, 56 yards, WR Ross - 4 catches, 95 yards, WR Rogers - 5 catches, 49 yards, WR Thompkins - 6 catches, 67 yards, 1 TD

McGloin Rips Coaches during and After Guardians Loss

February 15, 2020

Washington, DC - The XFL has been hoping increased in-game access to players would give fans a more unvarnished look at what goes on during a football game and Guardians QB Matt McGloin didn’t disappoint during a halftime interview. “We need to change the whole entire game plan at halftime,” McGloin said, who were blanked in their 27-0 loss. “There’s a lot going on right now. It’s embarrassing for us for an offense. There’s a lot of things for us to fix and correct.”

Guardians head coach Kevin Gilbride said he wasn’t pleased with McGloin’s play in the first half. “I need to go talk to him and figure out what the problem is because he needs to play better.” But McGloin wasn’t done, ripping the play calling after the game, too. “There’s a lot of stuff going on behind closed doors,” said. “We need to clean that up. Communication especially is one, and it showed today. At no point in time did I think we were comfortable out there. At no point in time did I think we were in a position to try to be successful. I think it was pretty easy to see.”

XFL Week 2: Queiro Seals Dragons Win with INT

February 15, 2020

Seattle, WA - LB Kyle Queiro watched an interception slip through his fingers at Seattle Dragons practice Thursday afternoon. His frustration was apparent as he yelled at himself to catch the ball, but he kept his focus and came up with a pick before the end of practice. All of that intensity paid off in a big way today as Queiro iced the game with an interception of Vipers QB Taylor Cornelius in the final seconds to seal a 17-9 victory over the Tampa Bay Vipers at CenturyLink Field on Saturday. A huge celebration ensued as Queiro was mobbed by his teammates. "What a moment, having some of my best friends with me as well, it's definitely a good feeling," he said.

Queiro's play was part of a huge day for the entire Dragons defense, with DB Jeremy Clark and DL Marcell Frazier each adding interceptions of their own and LB Steven Johnson leading the team in total tackles for the second straight week, with 10. Not to mention the four sacks the Dragons tallied as a team. It couldn't have been an easy task for the Dragons to prepare for the Vipers not knowing whether they would see Cornelius, Aaron Murray or Quinton Flowers at quarterback. However, defensive coordinator Clayton Lopez was adamant that was not a concern. "We prepare the same every week, week in and week out," Lopez said. "Whoever they put back there at quarterback, on the offensive line, at wide receiver, at running back, it makes no difference to us, we're still going to play."

The Seattle fans did not disappoint either. A raucous crowd showed up to support the Dragons in their home opener, and the players felt their support. WR Keenan Reynolds took note, saying "this is amazing, they are the best fans in the world."

-- (0-1)Vipers 9 - 17 Dragons(0-1)
(TB): QB Cornelius - 16/27 154 yards, 2 INTs, RB Patrick - 14 carries, 73 yards, RB Smith - 16 carries, 61 yards, WR Horn - 5 catches, 51 yards, TE Truesdell - 6 catches, 52 yards
(SEA): QB Silvers - 7/18 91 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, RB Farrow - 10 carries, 45 yards, RB Gardner - 21 carries, 72 yards, WR Reynolds - 3 catches, 87 yards, 1 TD

-- (0-1)Iron 13 - 10 Express(0-1)
(BIRM): QB Falk - 17/31 194 yards, 2 INTs, RB Richardson - 16 carries, 74 yards, WR Benjamin - 7 catches, 61 yards, WR Patton - 6 catches, 91 yards
(MEM): QB Manziel - 21/31 286 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, RB Stacy - 15 carries, 52 yards, RB Badie - 4 carries, 53 yards, WR Butler - 5 catches, 57 yards, WR Davis - 5 catches, 75 yards

XFL Week 2: Artis-Payne, Jones Lift Renegades to Week 2 Win

February 16, 2020

Los Angeles, CA - The Dallas Renegades relied on their run game in the second half of a turnover-heavy game to beat the Los Angeles Legends in their home opener, 25-18. RB Cameron Artis-Payne sealed the game for the Renegades down the stretch, scoring two touchdowns in the fourth quarter. "I was just running," Payne said. "We've been focusing on finishing, so at the end of the day once we got down there, there was nothing else but to score. Offensive line did a good job wearing them down. We exploited some weaknesses after halftime," he added. "They continued to get a push to the second level on the linebackers and allowing us to get it downhill."

The Renegades gave Artis-Payne the ball 10 times in the final nine minutes, and he tallied 80 yards in that span. Dallas head coach Bob Stoops credited the former NFL back and the team's ability to establish the run in the second half of the game as "huge. That was a major part of the win," Stoops said. "I thought we put them in a tough spot defending the run."

Artis-Payne, who played four seasons with the Carolina Panthers, had his best rushing performance as a pro, finishing with 99 rushing yards on 14 attempts. He added five receptions for 32 yards. After a lackluster first half from both squads and with the game tied at 3-3, the second half featured better execution and more explosive plays. The Renegades put up back-to-back scores in the fourth quarter, scoring the first touchdown of the game, and built their lead to 19-9. Despite throwing for 305 yards and a touchdown, Dallas QB Landry Jones looked rusty in his XFL debut, throwing two interceptions and losing a fumble through three quarters. Jones, who hadn't seen game action since his time with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2017, called his performance "not good," and took the blame for the turnovers. "If I would've taken care of the ball, I feel like it would've been a different day altogether," he said. "Accuracy, that was my main problem." Stoops praised Jones, who sustained a knee injury in training camp and missed five weeks of practices, for fighting back, calling his second-half performance more consistent. The Legends answered with a touchdown of their own and executed a three-point PAT to close within 19-18 with 4:37 left. But the Renegades marched down the field to pad the lead, with Artis-Payne rushing off left tackle for a 14-yard touchdown with 1:14 to play. The Renegades offense turned the ball over three times, but the Legends were unable to get points off of the turnovers. Stoops credited his defense with fighting out of some tough situations the team faced early and holding the Legends offense down. "When you lose the turnover battle three to zero and still win, you're doing a lot right defensively," he said.

-- (0-1)Renegades 25 - 18 Legends(0-1)
(DAL): QB Jones - 28/40 305 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, RB Artis-Payne - 14 carries, 99 yards, 2 TDs, 5 catches, 32 yards, RB Dunbar - 10 carries, 55 yards, 5 catches, 34 yards, WR Badet - 6 catches, 53 yards, TE Parham - 5 catches, 76 yards, 1 TD, WR Crockett - 2 catches, 57 yards
(LA): QB Johnson - 18/34 196 yards, 2 TDs, RB Hood - 10 carries, 31 yards, WR Spruce - 6 catches, 89 yards, 2 TDs

-- (1-0)Commanders 23 - 17 Conquerors(1-0)
(SA): QB Woodside - 17/28 169 yards, 1 TD, RB Hill - 11 carries, 68 yards, WR Ward - 6 catches, 77 yards
(MEX): QB Wolford - 17/31 194 yards, 2 INTs, RB Rawls - 20 carries, 104 yards, RB - 12 carries, 69 yards, WR - 4 catches, 66 yards

XFL Week 2: Roughnecks Hold On To Defeat The BattleHawks, 28-24

February 16, 2020

Houston, TX - WR Cam Phillips hauled in three touchdown passes from QB PJ Walker to lead the 2-0 Houston Roughnecks to a thrilling 28-24 win over the visiting Charlotte BattleHawks in XFL action at TDECU Stadium. Houston was up 21-6 at the half, but Charlotte QB Jordan Ta'amu connected with WR De'Mornay Pierson-El with a touchdown to cut the lead to 21-12 at 8:56 in the third quarter. Ta'amu then ran one in with 1:30 to go in the third to make things snug at 21-18. However, Ta'amu made a crucial mistake with the BattleHawks driving in the fourth quarter when he threw his second interception of the contest with 10:48 to play. The ill-fated pass, intended for Alonzo Russell, instead found its way into Roughneck DB Jeremiah Johnson's grip. Johnson returned the pick to the six-yard line. Three plays later, Walker found Phillips in the end zone for their third touchdown connection. Walker then converted on the one-point conversion to make it 28-18. Charlotte tacked on a touchdown when Ta'amu found WR L'Damian Washington for a 36-yard touchdown with 1:50 to play. The Roughnecks were then able to maintain possession and run out the clock. Ta'amu's first thrown interception, 10:12 in the second quarter, was picked by DB Cody Brown, who returned it 50 yards to the one-yard line. That set up a one-yard touchdown run by James Butler. Phillips finished the game with eight catches for 63 yards and three touchdowns for Houston.

-- (1-0)BattleHawks 24 - 28 Roughnecks(1-0)
(CHA): QB Ta'amu - 30/37 284 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs, 8 carries, 32 yards, 1 TD, RB Jones - 16 carries, 44 yards, RB Michael - 19 carries, 50 yards, WR Washington - 6 catches, 77 yards, 1 TD, WR Russell - 5 catches, 42 yards, WR Pierson-El - 9 catches, 50 yards, 1 TD
(HOU): QB Walker - 21/30 170 yards, 3 TDs, RB Butler - 13 carries, 51 yards, 1 TD, WR Phillips - 8 catches, 63 yards, 3 TDs, WR Coates - 3 catches, 41 yards, WR Lewis - 4 catches, 50 yards

-- (0-1)Alphas 18 - 40 Fleet(0-1)
(ATL): QB Barrett - 16/26 208 yards, 1 TD, RB Robinson - 15 carries, 54 yards, WR Peake - 4 catches, 95 yards, 1 TD, WR Jones - 6 catches, 50 yards, WR Greene - 5 catches, 53 yards
(SD): QB Kaepernick - 24/36 241 yards, 1 TD, RB Bibbs - 11 carries, 70 yards, 2 TDs, RB Sankey - 9 carries, 52 yards, 1 TD, WR Liggins - 6 catches, 63 yards, TE Escobar - 4 catches, 51 yards, TD, WR Owusu - 6 catches, 49 yards

Stallions Excited to be Heading Home

February 17, 2020

St. Louis, MO - St. Louis' road trip started well with a win over the Memphis Express in Week 1, but the Stallions suffered a taxing, 30-20 defeat at the hands of the undefeated Orlando Apollos last week. The loss wasn't pretty, with St. Louis QB Paxton Lynch passing for 199 yards and three game-changing interceptions. "We're really going back with a whole new mindset," Stallions OL Greg Robinson said after the game. "We're trying to get things back on track and try to give a good performance."

For Stallions coach Jonathan Hayes, a new mindset after the grueling loss that saw St. Louis come heartbreakingly close to beating Orlando is exactly what's needed before his squad meets their home crowd for the first time. "I think our team is growing that way," Hayes said of the loss' effect on the Stallions. "They're maturing that way. Even at the end, no one quit. Everyone was fighting to find a way to win. That will make us better down the road. Now they've felt that sting."

"I can sit here and make an excuse. Why we did this or that or that," Lynch said. "Come on. You have to go play the game. It's not the first time we've played in a loud place, and last week was loud, too." As for loud crowds, Lynch anticipates a loud and rowdy St. Louis crowd when he and his teammates are introduced for the first time at home. "I'm expecting The Dome to be rocking," Lynch said. "We just have to do our job and put a good product on the field." And he assured the fanbase craving professional football since the Rams left for Los Angeles five years ago will be satisfied come Sunday. "St. Louis has been hungry for football," he said. "It's back now."

Cam Phillips is Ready to Play his Game

February 18, 2020

Philadelphia, PA - Cam Phillips needed a second to remember the last time he scored three touchdowns in a game. The wide receiver did it in the Houston Roughnecks' 28-24 victory over the Charlotte BattleHawks. "I think that's only my second time doing it," Phillips said, recalling a three-score game as a senior at Virginia Tech in 2017. "I was in school against ECU. This was definitely more fun. I think the timeliness of these touchdowns made it better. We needed every one of them today. I'm just glad I could help the team win."

Dragons Offense Is 'Close' to Breakout

February 19, 2020

Seattle, WA - It was one of those moments when a team needed someone to make a play, something to provide some juice, a jolt that would help determine the course of the game. With the result of team's inaugural home opener in doubt, WR Keenan Reynolds delivered a big play. The receiver caught a well-place deep ball from QB Brandon Silvers that he took 68 yards for a touchdown during the Dragons' 17-9 victory. "That was huge," said Reynolds, who caught three passes for 87 yards and caught a two-point conversion. "We were stumbling the whole first half, shooting ourselves in the foot. We saw it on film. It was actually on the same guy. We had it set up right. Coach called it and we got the look we needed."

"It was big just to get our offense going," Silvers said. "We stalled a little bit, didn't make enough plays, starting with me. That was a big change in the game. The next drive they go throw a Pick-6. That was a really big play for Keenan to get open. Tampa Bay's got a good defense. They held New York to only 200 yards last week. They've got a really good defense and they brought the pressure. I've just got to move around and make some plays."

"I look back on this game," Reynolds said. "I look back on the last game, and I don't feel like anyone has actually stopped us. I feel like we continuously shot ourselves in the foot and that's something we've definitely got to get cleaned up going into next week. We're close. We've got to keep working. We've got to get the reps, communicate, practice. All that stuff is big, but we're close. It's always good to look at the film, see what we missed, where we can get better and go from there."
Last edited by BengalErnst on Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:15 pm, edited 12 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:10 am

NFL Discussing Loaning QBs, Other Players to XFL

February 20, 2020

New York, NY - XFL Head of Football Bill Polian has been to the mountaintop in the NFL, and now the Pro Football Hall of Famer's encore act is to help players reach their highest potentials through the XFL. Polian disclosed that the NFL and XFL might be coming together for that cause in an official capacity. Polian said, "talk is ramping up" surrounding the NFL loaning players to the XFL. "Those discussions will continue but whether they bear fruit remains to be seen," while also noting that "lots of procedural hurdles" would have to be sorted out before the XFL could start acting as an official minor league affiliate to the NFL.

Polian described the idea behind the XFL and NFL's partnership to include NFL teams sending their No. 3 quarterbacks and "other players from the bottom half of their roster and developmental squads" to XFL franchises in order to maximize game reps. "Talking to NFL coaches, one of the things they have been frustrated with on this latest collective bargaining agreement is the reduction of meeting time and practice time. They just don't think the guys are getting enough repetition."

XFL Week 3: Walker and Phillips Lead Roughnecks to 34-27 Victory over Vipers

February 22, 2020

Tampa, FL - QB PJ Walker and WR Cam Phillips, once again shined for Houston as the Roughnecks went on the road and defeated Tampa Bay, 34-27 Saturday afternoon at Raymond James Stadium. Walker threw a career-high 304 yards and three touchdown passes to Phillips to lead Houston. For the game, Phillips caught eight balls for a career-high and XFL-high 194 yards. It is the second straight game in which Phillips has caught three touchdown passes. He now has seven on the season. Oh, and for the second straight game, the Roughnecks' defense came up with a timely interception to seal the game. This time it was LB DeMarquis Gates who picked off Vipers QB Taylor Cornelius with 1:05 to play. Houston's defense was also stout on Tampa Bay's previous possession, when it held the Vipers scoreless on four straight plays from the one-yard line. On the first play of the Houston's second possession and from its 16-yard line, Walker and Phillips hooked up on an 84-yard touchdown play. Walker, feeling outside pressure on both sides, eluded the defense and stepped up in the pocket and found a wide-open Phillips on the HOU 42, who scampered untouched the remaining 58 yards to pay dirt. Walker finished the game completing 24 of his 36 passes with three TD to post a 120.0 rating. He also ran eight-yards for a touchdown in the second quarter.

The incredible play of Walker has drawn comparisons to the NFL's Patrick Mahomes. If Walker is the Mahomes of the XFL, Phillips is the Michael Thomas. The two have only been playing together for a short time, but in watching the chemistry they have, you would think it's been seasons. "We talk mid-drive, and we talk on the sidelines," Walker said. "He gives me his input on what he sees from the secondary, and it helps. I tell him, 'If you're there, I'll find you.'"

"PJ knows if he gets the ball around Cam, he's going to make some catches," said Roughnecks coach June Jones. "Cam has really, really impressed me ever since he got here," Jones added. "He's bought into what we're doing and what we're teaching him."

-- (2-0)Roughnecks 34 - 27 Vipers(0-2)
(HOU): QB Walker - 24/36 306 yards, 3 TDs, RB Butler - 12 carries, 81 yards, WR Phillips - 8 catches, 194 yards, 3 TDs, WR Lewis - 6 catches, 41 yards
(TB): QB Cornelius - 16/31 193 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, QB Flowers - 4/6 51 yards, 12 carries, 52 yards, 2 TDs, RB Smith - 15 carries, 49 yards, WR Tolliver - 5 catches, 34 yards, 1 TD, WR Callaway - 8 catches, 104 yards

-- (0-2)Alphas 9 - 25 BattleHawks(1-1)
(ATL): QB Barrett - 27/35 216 yards, 1 INT, RB Robinson - 14 carries, 55 yards, WR Jones - 8 catches, 58 yards, WR Greene - 5 catches, 52 yards
(CHA): QB Ta'amu - 19/28 263 yards, 1 TD, RB Michael - 16 carries, 143 yards, RB Jones - 9 carries, 58 yards, 1 TD, WR Pierson-El - 10 catches, 138 yards, 1 TD, WR Washington - 2 catches, 65 yards

XFL Week 3: Dragons See Room for Improvement After Loss

February 22, 2020

Seattle, WA - The Dragons knew the game was within reach. But, after a 24-12 loss to Dallas on Saturday at CenturyLink Field, they also know they didn't execute enough down the stretch. Coach Jim Zorn spoke about missed opportunities postgame: "When you watch the tape on this, you're going to see, he was open wasn't he? But you didn't get him the ball or we had the right defense on him but he ran 40 yards because we lost contain. It will be that kind of a deal." The loss was not how Seattle envisioned ending its day after a quick start on offense that had them leading 12-6 at halftime. QB Brandon Silvers hit WR Austin Proehl for a 21-yard touchdown on the first offensive drive. Later in the first half Silvers found RB Kenneth Farrow for a 19-yard score. Unfortunately, the offense stalled in the second half, leaving the pressure on the defense.

The defense picked up where they left off last week with three turnovers, while LB Steven Johnson appeared to be in on almost every play. He led the team in tackles for the third straight week with 14. While the defense played well overall, the Renegades made some halftime adjustments that led to them racking up 94 of their 103 rushing yards in the second half. Dallas' ground game was effective in keeping the Dragons offense off the field, helping them secure the win. The Dragons are already moving forward, though. With everybody gathered in the locker room during postgame, Johnson addressed the team, saying, "We've got enough in this room." Coach Zorn added, "Keep your heads up, we get them again."

-- (1-1)Renegades 24 - 12 Dragons(1-1)
(DAL): QB Jones - 30/41 274 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs, RB Artis-Payne - 13 carries, 80 yards, 6 catches, 30 yards, RB Dunbar - 8 carries, 23 yards, 9 catches, 56 yards, TE Parham - 5 catches, 101 yards, 1 TD, WR Ferguson - 7 catches, 58 yards, 1 TD
(SEA): QB Silvers - 21/34 204 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, RB Gardner - 14 carries, 51 yards, RB Farrow - 13 carries, 48 yards, WR Proehl - 6 catches, 81 yards, 1 TD

-- (2-0)Commanders 23 - 39 Apollos(1-1)
(SA): QB Woodside - 14/27 149 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, RB Cobb - 14 carries, 48 yards, WR Doctson - 6 catches, 42 yards
(ORL): QB Gilbert - 25/33 294 yards, 3 TDs, RB Johnson - 23 carries, 111 yards, WR Moncrief - 9 catches, 174 yards, 2 TDs, WR Johnson - 5 catches, 43 yards, 1 TD

XFL Week 3: Offense and Defense Key to LA's First Win

February 23, 2020

Los Angeles, CA - The Los Angeles Legends put forth a total team effort with six touchdowns and five takeaways to secure their first win of the season, 39-9 over the Washington Defenders on Sunday. "This was a collective win," head coach Winston Moss said. "Everybody involved, from the fan engagement side to the football side, this was a total team victory."

After disappointing losses in the first two games, the Legends played with intensity on both sides of the ball that was felt from the very first snap to the last. Los Angeles took control of the game early, scoring a touchdown in the first three minutes of the first quarter on a 40-yard pass from QB Josh Johnson to WR Tre McBride. The Defenders, who've dominated the league on defense the first couple of weeks, didn't have an answer for Johnson, who threw for 278 yards and 3 TDs. Johnson, playing in his second game, attributed the extra reps in practice to getting more comfortable for in-game play. He spread the ball around to seven different receivers throughout the day but McBride, who tallied 109 yards and 2 TDs, was Johnson's go-to receiver. "I've been waiting for that guy to show up," Moss said. "It was key to get him back today."

Moss was excited to finally have a wide receiver tandem threat in McBride and Nelson Spruce, after the team traded for McBride during training camp from the Defenders. Los Angeles had four interceptions and one fumble recovery after DB Jack Tocho blocked a punt, which gave the Legends prime field position at DC's 2-yard line. RB Larry Rose would punch it in from one yard out, which extended the Legends' lead to 27-0. The Defenders would get on the board before halftime off of a 32-yard FG from K Ty Rausa, making the score 27-3. Los Angeles set the tone defensively on Washington's first drive of the game by intercepting QB Cardale Jones. The Legends defense has steadily improved since their week one blowout loss to the Houston Roughnecks. Head coach Moss applauded the team's progression and credited the players' hard work leading up to game day. "We're communicating much better. The guys are more cohesive now," Moss said. "They've really bought in the last couple of weeks since we made the change. It is one of the best feelings in the world to be able to count on the man next to you and he believes in you and he trusts you and it all just clicks," he said. "When that happens, special things start happening."

-- (2-0)Defenders 9 - 39 Legends(0-2)
(DC): QB Jones - 13/26 103 yards, 4 INTs, RB Pumphrey - 16 carries, 87 yards, RB Pressley - 12 carries, 95 yards, 1 TD, WR Rogers - 3 catches, 38 yards
(LA): QB Johnson - 18/25 278 yards, 3 TDs, RB Carter - 11 carries, 34 yards, 2 TDs, 3 catches, 41 yards, 1 TD, WR McBride - 5 catches, 109 yards, 2 TDs, WR Spruce - 3 catches, 75 yards

-- (0-2)Express 38 - 27 Conquerors(1-1)
(MEM): QB Manziel - 31/37 342 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, RB Stacy - 12 carries, 77 yards, 1 TD, RB Badie - 11 carries, 67 yards, 1 TD, WR Davis - 11 catches, 117 yards, 2 TDs, WR Butler - 9 catches, 109 yards, WR Lucien - 4 catches, 58 yards
(MEX): QB Wolford - 22/42 287 yards, 2 TDs, RB Rawls - 13 carries, 42 yards, WR Huff - 9 catches, 153 yards, TE Seferian-Jenkins - 4 catches, 52 yards, 2 TDs

XFL Week 3: Stallions Ground Guardians in St. Louis

February 23, 2020

St. Louis, MO - The towel waves got faster and faster while screams and horse noises became deafening from 39,554 fans for the St. Louis Stallions, the team that officially brought professional football back to the Gateway to the West. The Stallions didn't disappoint, getting out to a 23-3 first-half lead before winning 29-9 in front of a raucous lower-bowl crowd that was passionate throughout the afternoon. Fans gave the team an opening-day crowd that was larger than the Los Angeles Chargers' average crowd for this NFL season. Some Stallions players think the fanbase will continue to grow after an impressive opening act. "We've got to open those upper decks," WR TJ Jones said. "I think we can fill them up. It's the first game and I think we still can fill up those open seats."

St. Louis never trailed in Week 3 and sustained their drives thanks to an effective 1-2 run tandem of RB Tre Mason(95 yards, one touchdown) and RB Daryl Richardson(47 yards, one TD). A lateraled kickoff return also went for a Stallions touchdown thanks to WR Kenny Bell's finish and a jaw-dropping 58-yard field goal that provided plenty of moments. The Guardians, meanwhile, failed to get anything going on offense with erratic quarterback play. QB Matt McGloin battled ineffectiveness and injury. QB Luis Perez got a late audition and threw a touchdown, but by then, New York was far from contending. The support of the team showed civic pride, but there were also gestures of disdain toward Rams owner Stan Kroenke, the man who moved the team from St. Louis to Los Angeles after the 2015 season. "We don't need the NFL," XFL fan Brandon Jones said. "The XFL is where it's at."

-- (1-1)Guardians 9 - 29 Stallions(2-0)
(NY): QB McGloin - 8/11 84 yards, 1 INT, QB Perez - 11/20 133 yards, 1 TD, RB Lasco - 11 carries, 62 yards, RB Helu - 10 carries, 50 yards, WR Hamilton - 4 catches, 43 yards, 1 TD, WR Archer - 3 catches, 41 yards, WR Streeter - 3 catches, 41 yards
(STL): QB Streveler - 12/18 119 yards, RB Mason - 15 carries, 94 yards, 1 TD, RB Richardson - 14 carries, 47 yards, 1 TD, WR Listenbee - 3 catches, 36 yards

-- (1-1)Fleet 41 - 44 Iron(1-1)
(SD): QB Kaepernick - 27/34 360 yards, 2 TDs, RB Bibbs - 13 carries, 67 yards, 2 TDs, RB Sankey - 11 carries, 45 yards, 1 TD, WR Liggins - 7 catches, 103 yards, 1 TD, WR Ford - 5 catches, 117 yards, WR Owusu - 5 catches, 59 yards
(BIRM): QB Lawrence - 30/39 354 yards, 3 TDs, 5 carries, 43 yards, RB Richardson - 14 carries, 50 yards, WR Patton - 11 catches, 168 yards, 1 TD, WR Benjamin - 5 catches, 51 yards, 1 TD

How the NFL CBA may Affect the XFL

February 24, 2020

New York, NY - The NFL and the NFL Players Association are in the middle of negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement. The NFL is looking to pass this agreement as soon as possible so they can start negotiating their new TV deals but the players aren’t as thrilled. A 17-game season is a rather important issue and the players are all but split on accepting. Whether or not the CBA passes in this current form, this could have unintended consequences in other areas of the sport. Not that the NFL is necessarily worried about them but the XFL is going to be affected whenever the CBA passes. To what extent is probably going to be unknown until the CBA goes into effect but the NFL’s potential new roster rules could push XFL player pool further down.

The NFL active roster is set to go up by two to 55 players per team under the new CBA. And in addition to four more practice squad players, that makes an additional 128 to 192 football players joining the NFL in either an active or practice squad role.

Penalties, Game Length Decrease

February 25, 2003

Stamford, CT - During the offseason, the Rules and Competition Committee set out to reduce the number of penalties and to decrease the length of games in order to improve the game for the XFL fans. Through three weeks, results prove the Committee did its job. "We made a conscientious effort this offseason to improve the way our game is played," said Bill Polian, XFL Head of Football. "We tried to make the game as penalty-free as possible and to decrease the length of our games. We realize it's early, but results have been favorable. We'll continue to monitor both factors as the season goes along."
Last edited by BengalErnst on Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:01 pm, edited 16 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:11 am

XFL Week 4: Snake-bitten no more, Vipers celebrate their first XFL win in style

February 29, 2020

Washington, DC - If there was any notion that Marc Trestman had lost the Vipers locker room, it wasn’t evident following the team’s 25-0 win over the Washington Defenders. The Vipers head coach held court in the middle of a cramped room, one a fraction as big as the one where the Bucs dress across the hallway at Raymond James Stadium, and lauded his players and coaches. “I love you guys, I’m really proud of this team,” Trestman said before the celebration. “You can be what you want to be, right? We can be whatever we want. We get a choice. … I want you to enjoy this locker room, the joy of a winning locker room because there’s nothing like it in sports.”

The Tampa Bay Vipers controlled the pace with a suffocating rushing attack during a 25-0 home win. RB De'Veon Smith notched a 100-yard rushing game with his 122-yard performance on 24 carries. RB Jacques Patrick had 108 yards, playing with a heavy heart after the recent passing of his father. QB Taylor Cornelius rarely missed a bit, going 24-for-31 for 211 yards and a touchdown, adding a rushing score. He's found a groove with offensive coordinator and play-caller Jaime Elizondo the past two weeks. "We have to tackle and we have to stop the run. They did a really good job of running the football, and they did it well all game," said Defenders head coach Pep Hamilton. "They played their game. We missed on opportunities that we wanted to exploit. We just missed it. They played a great game overall, but not anything we weren't ready for."

-- (0-0)Defenders 0 - 25 Vipers(0-0)
(DC): QB Jones - 9/22 72 yards, 1 INT, RB Pumphrey - 13 carries, 46 yards, WR Rogers - 3 catches, 32 yards
(TB): QB Cornelius - 24/31 211 yards, 1 TD, RB Smith - 21 carries, 122 yards, RB Patrick - 21 carries, 108 yards, 1 TD, WR Williams - 7 catches, 72 yards, WR Callaway - 3 catches, 41 yards, 1 TD, WR Tolliver - 4 catches, 45 yards

-- (0-0)(0-0)
(): QB -

XFL Week 4: Ta'amu Shines in Front of Family

February 29, 2020

Charlotte, NC - After a 17-3 BattleHawk halftime lead, the Dragons fought their way to within seven points two separate times. But thanks to the play of a 22-year-old quarterback out of Pearl City, Hawaii, Charlotte sent the 37,000-plus fans home happy with a 23-16 victory. That's because Jordan Ta'amu was flat-out dominant as the BattleHawks improved to an East Division best 3-1. The BattleHawks' QB threw for 264 yards on 20-of-27 passing, including his lone touchdown, a 27-yard dart over the middle to WR De'Mornay Pierson-El that opened the day's scoring. If that weren't enough, Ta'amu also led the team in rushing with 63 yards, helping to spread the field and keep Seattle's defense guessing as to which trick he might pull out of his sleeve next. Ta'amu had yet to show that dual level of offensive prowess this season, mostly because the BattleHawks have the XFL's leading rusher in Matt Jones, who played Saturday with a knee injury that left him questionable coming into the game. With that missing piece, it was clear that Ta'amu needed to take control. And he did it in coming-out party style in front of the home crowd. What might have spurred his play was the fact that his family came in from Hawaii to watch him have his best game of the year. "My mom, dad, and my 13-year-old little sister came all the way in," said Ta'amu. "This is their first time in St. Louis, and just having them in the stands meant a lot to me."

Something that allowed Ta'amu to be so effective was his use of the depth chart. He targeted nine different receivers, and it doesn't seem to matter who he's slinging the ball to. Pierson-El caught five passes. L'Damian Washington caught four. Marcus Lucas and Brandon Reilly each caught three. Offensive Coordinator Chuck Long could have dusted off his old cleats, lined up out wide, and Ta'amu probably would have found him too on this day. "I'm not the type to really favor one receiver; I'm just the type that tells guys to get open because I'm going to throw it to them," said Ta'amu. "I had confidence in these guys from the jump, and having those weapons out there makes it much easier for me."

A previous criticism of Ta'amu's game was his inability to throw the deep-ball. As it turns out, he just hadn't been given the opportunity. He threw a 43-yard dime to WR Keith Mumphrey down the left sideline in the fourth quarter, helping his team secure three crucial points that kept the Dragons from getting too close. "It was a lot of fun," said Ta'amu. "I love releasing my arm, and I was kind of licking my chops to let one loose." Ta'amu doesn't have a path similar to that of many of his teammates. He didn't play in the NFL, in Canada, or in China like K Taylor Russolino did. Even though he never played professionally prior to this season, he still feels that he belongs.

-- (0-0)Dragons 16 - 23 BattleHawks(0-0)
(SEA): QB -
(CHA): QB -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 4: Los Angeles Legends Lose to New York Guardians at MetLife Stadium

March 1, 2020

New York, NY - The Los Angeles Legends lost 17-14 to the New York Guardians in Week Four of the 2020 XFL Season at MetLife Stadium in their lone cross-country matchup. Despite coming off a 39-9 defeat of the Washington Defenders in Week Three, the Legends were held to six-points, 19 yards rushing and 84 yards passing in the first half.

Their second score of the game did not come until four minutes remaining in the third. WR Jordan Smallwood, who finished the night five of seven for 75 yards and a two-point conversion, drew a crucial pass interference call that kept a fourth and two drive alive. On the following play, WR Saeed Blacknall found the endzone on his first reception for LA and score tied the game 14-14. On the next two drives, QB Josh Johnson threw his first interception of the season. The following drive, K Nick Novak's kick pushed wide right with the New Jersey wind. Those two failed drives would seal Los Angeles' loss at the Meadowlands. QB Josh Johnson finished the night 25-for-40 with 330 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. WR Tre McBride led the team in receiving for the second straight game and went eight-for-12 with 127 yards and a score. Defensively, Ahmad Dixon led with 14 combined tackles. The Legends are not alone in their cross country-woes. XFL teams that have traveled cross country are currently 0-4.

"Well, I thought we had our opportunities to win the game, and we did not take advantage of them,' said Legends head coach Winston Moss. "Just really focus on the fundamentals of football, the details. Just going out there and playing the quarterback position the way I have been taught and the way our coaches want me to play it and just play one play at a time."

-- (0-0)Legends 14 - 17 Guardians(0-0)
(LA): QB -
(NY): QB -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 4: Defense Shines as Houston Remains Perfect

March 1, 2020

Dallas, TX - The Houston Roughnecks couldn't have scripted a better open, forcing three turnovers before the first "Texas Throwdown" was less than a quarter old. The final chapter wasn't bad either. The Roughnecks turned their first four takeaways into 21 points and closed the door late with another, and in the process took control of the West by outlasting the Dallas Renegades 27-20 on a sun-splashed Sunday afternoon at Globe Life Park. "We talk about those takeaways all the time," Houston coach June Jones said. "Our defense just kept hanging in there. We needed to score more points while we had our chances to do it with those takeaways. It's a team game and we did enough on both sides the ball to win. I think that's going to be the start of a pretty good rivalry between Houston and Dallas."

In addition to the loss, the Renegades may have lost quarterback Landry Jones for the season to a knee injury. While plenty of time remains before the postseason, the Roughnecks have to feel good about their positioning. The way they beat their Lone Star State rivals is also reason for optimism. Houston continued a season-long trend of generating points off turnovers. Of the Roughnecks' nine interceptions, six have been converted into scores, including all three picks off Jones on Sunday. Houston also put the game away with what was ruled a fumble recovery inside its 5-yard line and inside of two minutes, snuffing out a potential Renegades' go-ahead score. Renegades WR Flynn Nagel couldn't control a swing pass from backup QB Philip Nelson, and LB DeMarquis Gates pulled in the ricochet inches off the turf. "I was just trying to make a play," Gates said. "Under two minutes, they were getting down close. It was a seven-point game at the time, so we were just trying to make a stop."

LB Edmond Robinson also added a scoop and score after sacking Jones early in the fourth and knocking the ball loose. The touchdown with 11:37 left put the Roughnecks up by the eventual final score. The defensive prowess helped overcome an average showing, at least by his early-season standards, from Roughnecks QB PJ Walker. Easily the XFL's MVP through three weeks, Walker didn't have to carry the offense on this back this time out. "I thought the defense played exceptional today. They carried us," said Walker, who was 25 of 41 passing for 239 yards and two TDs with a pick. "Offensively, we played decent. We have to play better next week."

Jones and the Renegades did manage to overcome a disastrous opening period. The three picks (two by Deatrick Nichols for a league-leading three this season) came on successive drives, leading to a pair of field goals and Walker's touchdown pass to WR Nick Holley for a 15-0 lead. "It's been the same thing in all the games," Jones said. "I have to figure out how not to throw interceptions and put our defense in bad spots, and we would blow people out. It's very simple."

Coach Jones credited the early turnover barrage by his opportunistic defense as the scene setter. "It definitely set the tone," he said. "It's disappointing that we only got (15) points on those three takeaways. I thought that was going to come back to haunt us."

It almost did, as Dallas was only down 15-11 at halftime. Landry Jones had a 12-yard scoring pass to TEDonald Parham, and they connected again on a 2-point conversion. K Austin MacGinnis drilled a 46-yard field goal in the final minute before the break. The Renegades were driving late in the fourth when Jones was hurt successfully converting a quarterback sneak on fourth-and-1. Nelson took over and kept the march moving. Dallas had second-and-goal before its final mistake. "I find it amazing that with two minutes to go in the game we're on the 3-yard line with a chance to tie or maybe take the lead after giving up four interceptions and a fumble return for a touchdown," Dallas coach Bob Stoops said.

-- (0-0)Roughnecks 27 - 20 Renegades(0-0)
(HOU): QB -
(DAL): QB -

-- (3-0)Stallions 17 - 19 Conquerors(0-0)
(STL): QB Streveler - 16/24 161 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, 11 carries, 65 yards, 1 TD, RB Mason - 12 carries, 98 yards, WR Lewis - 4 catches, 67 yards, 1 TD
(MEX): QB Wolford - 25/39 300 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, RB Rawls - 11 carries, 70 yards, WR Sheehy-Guiseppi - 8 catches, 93 yards, WR Huff - 6 catches, 81 yards, 1 TD

Vipers Run to Must-Have Win

March 2, 2020

Tampa, FL - A sense of urgency hit the Tampa Bay Vipers like a ton of bricks. In what is a short season in the XFL, something needed to change and quickly if the Vipers had any hopes to salvage the season. QB Taylor Cornelius played with confidence, and it was thanks in-part to a stellar ground performance from RBs De'Veon Smith and Jacques Patrick. "We go in, and we work really hard with our run game because we think we have two running backs who deserve to handle the ball," head coach Marc Trestman said. "We don't plan on how we're going to get it done, but we work hard both and equally with our run and pass game throughout the week, and I think that takes the pressure off a quarterback."

At 49 running plays including four from Cornelius, the two backs carried the game and averaged 5.1 yards per carry. 230 total yards rushing from Smith and Patrick marks for the league. The Vipers are also the only team to have two 100-yard rushers in a single game. "What a great one-two punch we have with those two guys playing off each other throughout the game," said Trestman. "We knew it was a must-win game for us," said Patrick. "Me personally, I just changed the way I prepared this week because we weren't getting the wins that we want on the scoreboard. So, personally, I changed the way I prepared this week. It paid off a bit."

Renegades Jones to miss time with Another MCL Injury

March 4, 2020

Dallas, TX - Dallas Renegades QB Landry Jones suffered another injury to his left knee in Week 4, potentially sidelining him for the rest of the season. Jones said after the 27-20 loss to the Los Angeles Legends that it's likely an MCL injury. He suffered a similar injury at the start of training camp in early January and wasn't cleared to practice until the week before the opener, which he missed. Jones hasn't ruled out a return this season. "I hope so," he said. "Usually MCLs are 4-6 weeks. We have twelve weeks left, so hopefully I'll be able to come back."

"We don't know yet," Renegades head coach Bob Stoops said. "Fortunately he had the brace on, and hopefully that minimized what the damage is. I don't know just yet."
Last edited by BengalErnst on Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:39 am, edited 7 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:12 am

Jagodzinski Named Offensive Coordinator

March 5, 2020

Dallas, TX - The Dallas Renegades have named Jeff Jagodzinski offensive coordinator, effective immediately. Jagodzinski takes over the role previously held by Hal Mumme, who is unable to continue those responsibilities due to an injury suffered in a sideline collision with a player on March 1. Mumme will remain as an advisor on offense for the team. Bobby Blizzard will have added duties as assistant offensive coordinator and will handle play-calling, while also continuing as running backs coach. Jagodzinski will maintain his role overseeing the offensive line.

"We appreciate Hal's hard work and efforts with our squad, particularly after his injury last weekend," noted head coach Bob Stoops. "Unfortunately, it prevented him from performing in the way we needed for the Renegades."

XFL Week 5: New York Improves to 3-2

March 7, 2020

New York, NY - The New York Guardians played their best game of the season with a 30-12 victory over the Dallas Renegades. All three facets of the game showed up for New York on Saturday evening, starting with QB Luis Perez throwing for 229 yards on 16 completions including an 80-yard touchdown to WR Colby Pearson. The balanced rushing attack combined for more than 100 yards for the 2nd straight game with a surprising 41 yards on five carries from RB Justin Stockton. DL Cavon Walker extended his league lead in sacks with one in each half while both LB Ryan Mueller and DL Toby Johnson earned interceptions. K Matthew McCrane remained perfect on field goal tries with a three for three effort.

The low-scoring first half was dominated by each team's defense, including an impressive six tackles from Guardians LB Ben Heeney as well as a sack from Walker, his fourth of the season. The 2nd half opened with the Guardians' most impressive drive thus far of the 2020 season as they traveled 76 yards on 10 plays, ending with a touchdown run by QB Marquise Williams. The game took a turn from the low-scoring first half as three scores took place in the span of three plays. The first of these plays was an 80-yard touchdown pass to Pearson down the right sideline which was promptly followed by the Guardians 2nd defensive touchdown of the year as Mueller batted a pass to himself and returned the interception for six. Johnson also recorded an interception off of a DB Demetrious Cox deflection with 5:00 left in the 4th quarter, allowing the Guardians to take over and run the clock out.

-- (0-0)Renegades 12 - 30 Guardians(0-0)
(DAL): QB -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 5: Roughnecks Remain Undefeated with Win over Seattle

March 7, 2020

Houston, TX - The Houston Roughnecks rallied from an early 14-0 deficit and then from a 23-14 margin in the third quarter to defeat the Seattle Dragons 32-23 and remain the lone undefeated team in the XFL in front of a season-high 29,773 fans at TDECU Stadium. The Roughnecks scored twice in the final six minutes of the second quarter tie the game at 14. The first score came when WR Nick Holley caught a season-long 50-yard touchdown pass from QB PJ Walker to make it 14-6. RB James Butler then scored with :13 to play in the half on a 1-yard run. Holley's two-point conversion on a pass from Walker tied the game at 14.

Seattle opened the scoring in the third quarter on a 47-yard field goal by K Ernesto Lacayo and QB BJ Daniels rushed for one yard to give the Dragons a 23-14 lead with 8:56 on the clock. From that point on, it was all Houston. Houston answered immediately when Butler scored his second touchdown of the game at 6:58. Then, Walker connected with WR Cam Phillips for the game's last two scores, a five-yard strike at 9:08 in the fourth and an 11-yard pass with 3:28 to play. On Seattle's subsequent and last drive, Houston LB DeMarquis Gates came up with his third-straight big play on defense. This time he recovered Daniels' fumble on 3-10 on the Houston 40-yard line. Last week in Dallas, Gates recovered a fumble on the Houston three-yard line and two weeks ago in Tampa, he intercepted Tampa Bay QB Taylor Cornelius to seal the victory. RB Andre Williams's 13-yard rush up the middle on third and 10 gave Houston a first down with 1:31 to play and the Roughnecks were able to run out the clock for their fifth win of the season. Williams concluded the game with a season-high 54 rushing yards. For the game, Houston totaled a season-high 444 net yards as Walker completed a season-high 27 passes for a season-high 351 yards. Also, Phillips had his second 100+ yard receiving game of the year with 122 yards on 10 receptions.

-- (0-0)Dragons 23 - 32 Roughnecks(0-0)

-- (0-0)Alphas 10 - 35 Stallions(3-1)
(ATL): QB Barrett - 16/24 196 yards, 5 carries, 46 yards, 1 TD, RB Robinson - 5 carries, 7 yards, WR Jones - 5 catches, 56 yards, WR Greene - 5 catches, 70 yards, WR Peake - 3 catches, 48 yards
(STL): QB Streveler - 15/21 186 yards, 2 TDs, 11 carries, 70 yards, 2 TDs, RB Mason - 16 carries, 75 yards, WR Lewis - 4 catches, 47 yards, WR Jones - 2 catches, 63 yards, 1 TD

XFL Week 5: XFL Issues Statement Regarding Seattle-Houston Game

March 7, 2020

Houston, TX - Today's Seattle Dragons-Houston Roughnecks game should not have ended as it did. Replays showed clearly that the knee of Houston quarterback P.J. Walker touched the field, rendering him 'down' and the fourth-down play officially completed, with approximately two seconds remaining on the clock - effectively turning the ball over to Seattle on downs. With a nine-point differential in the score, Seattle was denied an opportunity to tie the game. The XFL sincerely regrets this error. In addition, Wes Booker, who served as Officiating Supervisor for today's game, has been reassigned.

XFL Week 5: Tyree Jackson Steps In, Defenders Defense Steps Up

March 8, 2020

Washington, DC - By making a first-quarter quarterback change, winning the battle in the XFL's most ground-focused game of the year, and excelling on defense, the DC Defenders plowed to a 15-6 victory over the Charlotte BattleHawks. These two squads combined for the most rushing yards (402) of any XFL game, but a change at quarterback for the winning team played a major role in that result. After QB Cardale Jones' first drive ended with an interception, QB Tyree Jackson got the call under center. While the 6-foot-8 backup didn't push the ball downfield much, his presence allowed DC's run game to stand tall and control the pace, getting sizable help from RB Jhurell Pressley (107 rushing yards on 15 carries). DC also limited QB Jordan Ta'amu to 174 aerial yards, made several key stops on third and fourth downs, and blocked a fourth-quarter punt to seal the deal.

The seismic event that sealed the game for DC was this blocked punt by LB Jameer Thurman, which was scooped up by LB Jonathan Celestin to bury the ball at Charlotte 4-yard line. Upon replacing Jones, Jackson led a crisp drive and fired this RPO-fueled laser to TE Khari Lee for the touchdown. The spark for the QB change was this brilliant diving interception in which BattleHawks DB Kenny Robinson dug up an interception, Jones' sixth thrown across the past three weeks. "The reason we won today is because every single player on this team played together as one and contributed. The difference in how we are feeling now and how we felt the last two Sundays is togetherness. We won today because we played as a team," said Defenders head coach Pep Hamilton. "Our defense and special teams made plays and allowed me to do my thing. The running backs carried the load, and I'm really proud of how the offense played together down the stretch."

-- (0-0)BattleHawks - Defenders(0-0)
(CHA): QB -
(DC): QB -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 5: Los Angeles Legends Defeat Tampa Bay Vipers

March 8, 2020

Los Angeles, CA - A 20-point second quarter propelled the Los Angeles Legends to victory over the Tampa Bay Vipers 41-34 live on ESPN in their first night game of the season at Dignity Health Sports Park. Despite the showing of the final score, the Legends were slow to start with double-digit unanswered points. They trailed 17-0 in the second quarter until WR Jordan Smallwood served as the catalyst to the stalling offense. From second-and-14 from the LA 45, QB Josh Johnson connected with Smallwood for 54 yards up the right side. Smallwood made a defender miss before being brought down at the one-yard line. RB DuJuan Harris scored a rushing touchdown on the next play to seal the Legends seven-play, 71-yard drive and brought the score to 17-6. The Vipers answered with a touchdown reception by WR Jay Tolliver and a successful one-point conversion to TE Dan Williams. The Legends trailed 24-6 at the two-minute warning. After the two-minute warning, the Legends found their rhythm and scored 14 points in 77 seconds. A nine-yard touchdown reception by TE De'Quan Hampton followed by a successful two-point conversion by RB Larry Rose officially began the scoring run. The next possession took just two plays to cover 56 yards. A 48-yard reception by WR Saeed Blacknall set up the eight-yard TD to TE Brandon Barnes. The Legend defense held the Vipers scoreless in the third quarter; they allowed just three first downs giving the offense an opportunity to take their first lead. With 1:42 remaining in the third Johnson found WR Tre McBride for the 11 yard touchdown grab. The first play of the fourth quarter foreshadowed how the shootout would end. DL Reggie Howard grabbed an interception which the offense turned into a TD in just 50 seconds. The Vipers would score a field goal and a touchdown in the fourth quarter putting them in position for a game winning-or tying drive with over a minute of game time remaining. An interception by DB Jack Tocho with 47 seconds remaining secured the victory for the Legends.

Despite his passer rating hovering about 41% midway through the first half, Johnson finished the night 20-of-36 for 288 yards, four touchdowns, one interception and with a 107.2 passer rating. Johnson also eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark and now has 1,076 yards. He is second in passing yardage behind Houston Roughnecks PJ Walker despite having only played four games. The receiving core thrived in the absence of injured WR Nelson Spruce. Smallwood caught four passes for 86 yards and a 21.5-yard average. Saeed Blacknall record three receptions for 78 yards and a touchdown. WR Tre McBride, TE DeQuan Hampton and TE Brandon Barnes all had touchdown grabs. Defensively, DL Boogie Roberts was the top performer. He recorded the first defensive touchdown in Legend history when he profited off a strip-sack by DL Cedric Reed in the X quarter. Roberts finished with six total tackles, two TFL and one sack.

-- (0-0)Vipers 34 - 41 Legends(0-0)

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL is Closely Monitoring COVID-19

March 10, 2020

New York, NY - XFL Commissioner Bill Polian sent out a league announcement this morning concerning the league's approach to the Covid19 emergency. He said, "All games this weekend will be played as planned without fans being able to enter the venue. All fans will be reimbursed as the league takes this concern very seriously and will decide early next week how the league will move forward. Thank you for your understanding and your support."

“The health and safety of the entire XFL family is of the utmost importance,” XFL Co-founder Charlie Ebersol said. “We have established a COVID-19 task force and are closely monitoring this public health issue. We are in regular contact with our Medical Advisory Board, as well as health and public safety officials on a national and local basis. Additionally, we have connected with other professional sports leagues to share information and best practices. Consideration of this input, a fact-based perspective, and our priority for safety will guide our decisions going forward.”
Last edited by BengalErnst on Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:48 am, edited 9 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:14 am

XFL Week 6:

March 14, 2020

Birmingham, AL -

-- (4-1)Stallions 37 - 38 Iron(0-0)
(STL): QB Streveler - 19/22 180 yards, 9 carries, 84 yards, 3 TDs, RB Mason - 14 carries, 90 yards, WR Greene - 5 catches, 112 yards, WR Jones - 4 catches, 44 yards, 1 TD
(BIRM): QB Lawrence - 27/43 488 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT, RB Richardson - 11 carries, 40 yards, 1 TD, WR Etta-Tawo - 8 catches, 134 yards, 1 TD, WR Patton - 7 catches, 132 yards, 1 TD, WR Bray - 2 catches, 91 yards, WR Benjamin - 3 catches, 39 yards, 2 TDs

XFL Week 6:

March 14, 2020

Washington, DC -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 6:

March 14, 2020

New York, NY -

-- (0-0)Roughnecks - Guardians(0-0)

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 6:

March 15, 2020

Seattle, WA -

-- (0-0)Legends - Dragons(0-0)
(LA): QB -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Week 6:

March 15, 2020

Dallas, TX -

-- (0-0)(0-0)

-- (0-0)(0-0)

XFL Cancels Week 7 and 8

March 18, 2020

New York, NY - Due to the Covid-19 pandemic sweeping the nation, the XFL has announced that they would be cancelling the games of Week 7 and Week 8. Due to television and stadium contracts, the league will not try to reschedule those games. The league intends to finish a fourteen game season starting the first weekend of April.

XFL Cancels Remainder of 2020 Season

April 1, 2020

New York, NY - With no end in sight for the Covid-19 pandemic, the XFL has cancelled the remainder of the 2020 regular season. However, the league does intend to play a single game elimination playoff on the dates of July 11th, 18th, 25th and August 2nd. Those games will all take place inside of the Dallas Cowboys' practice facility, Ford Center at the Star, in Frisco, Texas. The facility has a capacity of 12,000 but the league has not announced whether or not fans will be able to attend the event as of now. All games would be nationally televised.

“The XFL is scheduling a single game elimination football tournament in Frisco for July, using a bubble concept that would be the first of its kind in the sport during the coronavirus pandemic," stated XFL Commissioner Bill Polian.

XFL Ownership Groups Questioning League's Future

June 15, 2020

New York, NY - The XFL owner's pocket books were hit very hard by the covid-19 pandemic and for the first time in awhile, they're facing a lot of negative momentum. Some analysts believe the league was set back three years financially due to the cancellation of the season, but those numbers won't be known until the financial fiscal year report is posted publicly. With the financial numbers starting to roll in, compounding with the XFL facing questions about next season, rumors are circling that some ownership groups are waffling on the future plans of their franchises.
Last edited by BengalErnst on Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:59 am, edited 6 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:17 am

XFL 2020 League Leaders Finalized

July 1, 2020

Stamford, CT - These are the regular season stat leaders for the 2020 XFL season.

Top 5 Passing Leaders:
1. PJ Walker(HOU) - 1338 yards, 15 TDs, 4 INTs
2. Josh Johnson(LA) - 1092 yards, 11 TDs, 2 INTs
3. Jordan Ta'amu(CHA) - 1050 yards, 5 TDs, 2 INTs
4. Taylor Cornelius(TB) - 858 yards, 4 TDs, 6 INTs
5. Landry Jones(DAL) - 784 yards, 5 TDs, 7 INTs

Top 8 Rushing Leaders:
1. DeVeon Smith(TB) - 365 yards, 0 TDs
2. Matt Jones(CHA) - 314 yards, 1 TD
3. Jacques Patrick(TB) - 254 yards, 2 TDs
4. Cameron Artis-Payne(DAL) - 241 yards, 2 TDs
5. Darius Victor(NY) - 238 yards, 0 TDs
6. James Butler(HOU) - 221 yards, 4 TDs

Top 10 Receiving Leaders:
1. Cam Phillips(HOU) - 455 yards, 9 TDs
2. Dan Williams(TB) - 338 yards, 1 TD
3. Donald Parham(DAL) - 307 yards, 4 TDs
4. Jalen Tolliver(TB) - 297 yards, 1 TD
5. Tre McBride(LA) - 271 yards, 4 TDs
6. Nate Holley(HOU) - 267 yards, 2 TDs
7. Nelson Spruce(LA) - 267 yards, 2 TDs
8. L'Damian Washington(CHA) - 252 yards, 1 TD

Playoffs
Last edited by BengalErnst on Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:23 am

Canadian Football League Cancels 2020 Season

August 3, 2020

Toronto, ONTARIO, CANADA - The Canadian Football League canceled its 2020 season Monday because of the pandemic, marking the first year since 1919 the Grey Cup won't be awarded. The move by the nine-team league dashed hopes of a shortened season in the hub city of Winnipeg, Manitoba. Commissioner Randy Ambrosie said in a statement the decision was in the "best long-term interests" of the league. "We are absolutely committed to 2021, to the future of our league and the pursuit of our vision of a bigger, stronger, more global CFL," he said.

The CFL, unlike other major leagues in North America, does not have the luxury of a billion-dollar television contract. While its deal with TSN has become more lucrative over the years, the CFL remains a gate-driven league, a major problem when fans aren't allowed in the stands. The league was unable to secure financing from the federal government after requesting an interest-free loan of $23.7 million on Aug. 3 to stage an abbreviated 2020 campaign. The deal fell through Sunday night. The commissioner has said the league lost more than $15 million last season. "Even with government funding and a new CBA, our owners and community-held teams would have had to endure significant financial losses to play in 2020," Ambrosie said.

The league also needed approval from the Public Health Agency of Canada. Dr. Howard Njoo, Canada's deputy chief public health officer, said last Friday he was encouraged by the CFL's plan, but couldn't provide a timeline for a decision the league quickly needed to proceed. The CFL said last month it had chosen Winnipeg as a hub city for a regular season with six games, followed by an eight-team playoff. No fans were to attend. But it was contingent on the league securing financial assistance from the federal government, solidifying an extension of the collective bargaining agreement and approving health and safety protocols. The league also struggled to mend fences with the CFL Players' Association. Politicians from all major parties criticized the CFL for not having its players involved in its initial financial assistance request.

When the pandemic first hit in March, the CFL had time on its side, with training camps not set to open until May. But as the situation worsened, the CFL began postponing camps and eventually the start of the regular season in June. Later, the CFL called off the championship Grey Cup game in November in Regina, Saskatchewan, saying the model would not work without fans. The cancellation also puts the new-look Edmonton team on hold. The team announced it was dropping the name Eskimos this summer after facing pressure from sponsors.

XFL Veterans Bowl

August 8, 2020

Frisco, TX -

(0-0)(0-0)
(): QB
(): QB
Last edited by BengalErnst on Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:29 am

Year Two Financial Report Released

September 1, 2020

New York, NY -

Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson buys XFL for $150 million with partners RedBird Capital and Dany Garcia

September 3, 2020

New York, NY - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, RedBird Capital and Dany Garcia teamed up to purchase the majority stake of the XFL for approximately $150 million. RedBird Capital is an investment firm that focuses on providing flexible and long-term capital to help entrepreneurs grow their businesses and the XFL will be its latest challenge. Garcia, Johnson's business partner and ex-wife, will also be a stakeholder in the league. "The acquisition of the XFL with my talented partners, Dany Garcia and Gerry Cardinale, is an investment for me that's rooted deeply in two things -- my passion for the game and my desire to always take care of the fans," Johnson said in a press release. "With pride and gratitude for all that I've built with my own two hands, I plan to apply these callouses to the XFL, and look forward to creating something special for the players, fans, and everyone involved for the love of football."

"It is a privilege to partner with Dany and Dwayne on the acquisition of the XFL," said Gerry Cardinale, Founder and Managing Partner of RedBird Capital. "Their track record in building dynamic businesses speaks for itself, and their vision and passion for developing the XFL as a world class sports and entertainment property will enable a new future for this organization.

Oakland Panthers Postpones Games until 2022

October 2, 2020

Oakland, CA - The XFL’s Oakland Panthers will forego playing during the league’s 2021 season, with the intention of returning for the 2022 season, the team said. Team officials cited economic fallout and uncertainty from the novel coronavirus pandemic for the decision to not play during the 2021 season. A starting date for the 2021 season had yet to be set by the league. The team was set to play its inaugural season in 2021, with seven home games at the Oakland Arena scheduled between March and June during the 16-game schedule.

“When we launched the Oakland Panthers last September, it was important that games be safe, accessible, family entertainment where parents create lasting memories with their families at an affordable price,” Panthers owner Roy Choi said. “We ask for everyone’s support as we look forward to our 2022 season."

Fox Sports Reaches Agreement with The Spring League

October 2, 2020

Los Angeles, CA - Fox Sports has reached a multi-year agreement to televise The Spring League along with a minority stake in the league. The Spring League will begin its fall season on Oct. 27 with six teams competing in a 12-game format over four weeks in San Antonio. Fox Sports 1 will air games on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The league has previously been used by the XFL to test out new rules. The Spring League CEO Brian Woods said in a statement that they are conducting a fall season in order to give more playing and development opportunities due to reductions in rosters during NFL training camps and the CFL canceling its season. TSL does plan to return to a spring season next year. This will be the fourth season for The Spring League. The league says almost 100 of its players were signed to NFL contracts and 65 to CFL deals.
Last edited by BengalErnst on Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:37 am

TSL Season
Last edited by BengalErnst on Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BengalErnst

Postby BengalErnst » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:01 pm

XFL Adds Territorial Allocation Process

October 25, 2001

San Francisco, CA - XFL teams will now have two opportunities to improve their roster over the off-season, the Territorial Allocation Process and the Supplemental Draft. Each of the ten teams will be able to pick up to 8 players – with no team allowed to allocate more than one quarterback. Once the allocations are validated, the territorial players claimed by each team will be removed from a draft list that now exceeds 300 players. The Supplemental Draft will then take place in Chicago with 10 rounds scheduled with each team getting to a final total of 50 players for it's preseason roster. The XFL has the money, exposure, and the television contract to survive. A good team of recognizable players would almost guarantee success.

“You want to keep local kids home when you can,” XFL commissioner Oliver Luck said. “It creates fan interest. Our Birmingham team will have Alabama and Auburn, and that will draw some fan interest. It just makes sense. You’re bringing in guys people know. From a marketing standpoint it’s good, it allows players to stay home. Other leagues have done it and we’re absolutely committed to it and excited about it.”

The territorial draft schools for each team are as follows:
Birmingham: Alabama, Auburn, UAB
Chicago: Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame
Las Vegas: BYU, UNLV, Nebraska.
Los Angeles: San Diego State, Southern California, UCLA
Minneapolis: Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska
New York: Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse
Orlando: Florida, Miami, Central Florida
Dallas: Texas, Texas A&M, SMU, Houston
San Antonio: Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State
Memphis: Tennessee, Memphis, Vanderbilt

Territorial Allocation Process Puts Familiar Faces in Front of Fans

October 20, 2002

Stamford, CT -

"This is an important step to securing leadership and production at the most important position in the game," said Ghosts head coach Earle Bruce. "Joe is a veteran that has been through a lot in his career and brings a lot to the table. We are very fortunate to have him in Columbus."

"I'm very excited to be coming back to Columbus," said Germaine. "I know Coach Bruce very well and have friends still in Columbus. I'm confident that they will do a great job getting talented players and good people for the Ghosts roster. I'm looking forward to the new challenge and am excited for the new opportunity."

Goes First in Supplemental Player Draft

November 19, 2002

Stamford, CT -

Orlando Apollos selected DL Timmy Jernigan
Memphis Express selected QB Paxton Lynch
Birmingham Iron selected WR Geremy Davis, DL Marcell Dareus,
Seattle Dragons selected QB Cody Kessler, RB CJ Prosise, WR Paul Richardson
Washington Defenders selected QB Ryan Mallett, RB Derrius Guice
Mexico City Conquerors selected WR Justin Hardy
Charlotte BattleHawks selected WR DaMarkus Lodge
Las Vegas Vipers selected RB Rod Smith
Atlanta Alphas selected RB Isaiah Crowell, DL RaShede Hageman

"The guys we brought in have a unique blend of football experience from the NFL to arena league," added Selesky. "Talent wise, these are some of the best players available on the free agent market. We are excited to see how these guys will mesh with the guys we are bringing back from last season.

"Derek is an immediate upgrade to our need area," said Michael Trigg, Rampage head coach and director of football operations. "Stinger gives us one of the better defensive backs in AFL history, and a leader that we were seeking. We are happy to have signed an anchor for our 2003 defensive unit."

"All three have proven NFL experience and each brings his own area of strength to a position that was our primary focus of upgrade," said Destroyers head coach Ron Selesky. "Scifres is a great offensive linemen who can play anywhere on the line and both Jose and Chris saw quality time in the NFL playing on the defensive side of the ball. Both are athletic enough to pick up the offensive side very quickly."

QB Garrett Gilbert Agrees to Pay Cut to Stay with Apollos

January 9, 2021

Orlando, FL - XFL championship-winning QB Garrett Gilbert said it was an easy decision for him to agree to a restructured contract with the Orlando Apollos for the 2021 XFL season. The Apollos originally signed Gilbert to a two-year contract extension in January of 2020. He was believed to be due to make close to $500,000 in 2021, including pre-season bonuses, but will now be paid closer to $410,000. He was asked if this was his way of taking one for the team. “I don’t necessarily see it that way,” he said. “Obviously the total deal is under what the original one was but given the climate that we’re living in right now, everybody knows it’s gonna be tough for the XFL and obviously it’s tougher for everybody. I’m not ignorant or pig-headed enough to think that I’m still not making great money. It was a pretty easy decision for me.”

Gilbert is taking a pay cut to stay in Orlando and many of the league’s highest paid players are doing the same. Teams are trying to move money around in terms of how it is dispersed to players in order to help with a salary crunch. Some XFL teams have been mandated to spend $500,000 less on player salaries than they did in 2019. In order to re-sign free agents and attract new talent, the teams will need higher-paid players under contract to restructure their deals or potentially be released.

Brad Childress Relieved Of Coaching Duties

June 30, 2002

Atlanta, GA - The Atlanta Alphas and owner Arthur Blank announced that they have relieved head coach Brad Childress of his duties and replaced him with former University of Georgia head coach Mark Richt. "We believe Coach Childress is an honorable man who clearly understands the game of football," said Alphas President David Livingston. "However, our record has been unacceptable to the organization. We decided in the best interest of the Alphas that we needed to make a change. I was very pleased with the defensive performance and am looking forward to the continued direction of that defense led by Kevin Coyle. Fans should expect that we will have a strong emphasis on defense going into the future."

"I am honored to take on the role of head coach of the Atlanta Alphas and grateful to the XFL for this opportunity,” Richt said in the XFL’s press release announcing the hiring. "Coach Childress created a solid foundation that the team can continue to build upon. I am proud of the way Atlanta has embraced the dedicated players and coaches and I am excited to get to work preparing for season three of the XFL.”

Birmingham to Host Eastern Games for XFL in 2021

January 25, 2021

Birmingham, AL - The XFL announced that Birmingham, Alabama will be the home of all Eastern conference XFL games in 2021. Games will be held at Protective Stadium, the 45,000-seat home of the University of Alabama-Birmingham, with a number of additional games also staged at historic Legion Field, the current home of the Birmingham Steel. The Birmingham City Council voted to approve $500,000 in in-kind services to the XFL. The season begins in April with twenty-four of the games played at the new Protective Stadium, while the rest at Legion Field. The season will end in July. The $500,000 in-kind support includes personnel, police, fire and rescue services for the games played at Legion Field. The XFL is estimated to have a $15 million economic impact on the area, according to Greater Birmingham Convention and Visitors Bureau. Some of that includes the league paying for hotels to house players, coaches and other staff over the ten week truncated season. “They have committed to staying in hotels within the city limits of Birmingham, and it’s going to be a pretty significant commitment, not only for city coffers, but also for the restaurant and hospitality industry, as well,” City Councilor Hunter Williams told the Birmingham Times. Securing the XFL season shows that Birmingham is to be taken seriously, he added. “We’re now in an ‘arena’ where we can host this level of event, where it’s a lot more complex,” Williams said. “We have a lot more people coming in for an entire season than anything that we’ve ever done before in the city of Birmingham.”

"Birmingham is one of America's most dynamic and welcoming cities with world-class facilities highlighted by the state-of-the-art Protective Stadium, now home to the XFL," said Edward Hartman, XFL Executive Vice President, Business Operations. "Located downtown, it's within walking distance to the hotels where players will reside and many other amenities. We can't wait to make football magic in The Magic City on April 2, when the hometown Steel take on the Guardians to kick off the 2021 XFL season."

Memphis added as Second Hub City

February 15, 2021

Memphis, TN - XFL and Memphis city leaders announced that the XFL have come home to the Bluff City. Officials reached an agreement for the Western conference to play the XFL 2021 season at historic Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium. "The XFL is appreciative of the tremendous support and commitment from the City of Memphis, Mayor Jim Strickland, Frederick Smith and countless other community leaders for bringing professional football back to the Bluff City," said XFL commissioner Bill Polian. "I could not be happier to bring the XFL to Memphis and to get back to normal," said Mayor Jim Strickland. "I have so many fond memories of going to USFL games. The atmosphere was amazing, the spring weather was beautiful, there was quality football and it was an overall great experience. I know the XFL is no different, and I cannot wait to go to the first game on April 2."

"The XFL is committed to building a strong partnership with Memphis community leaders, and we can't thank Fred Smith enough for his personal support and vision to make today's historic announcement possible," said Polian. "Thanks to this legendary entrepreneur who is a prominent fixture in this community, he helped get the XFL to where it is today and we are here to stay."

Las Vegas Vipers Sign Quarterback Brett Hundley

February 21, 2021

Oakland, CA - The XFL announced that quarterback Brett Hundley has signed with the Las Vegas Vipers. Hundley, 28, joins the XFL after most recently appearing on the Baltimore Ravens practice squad. He was selected by the Green Bay Packers in the fifth round of the 2015 NFL Draft. During the 2017 season, Hundley made nine starts with the Packers. He has thrown for 1,902 career yards and nine touchdowns in 17 career games with the Packers and Arizona Cardinals. He has also spent time with the Seattle Seahawks and Indianapolis Colts.

XFL Announces Playoffs, Championship Game in Canton, Ohio

February 26, 2021

Canton, OH - The birthplace of professional football will host the XFL's 2021 playoffs and championship game this summer, the league announced. The games will be held at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, a 20,000-seat professional-grade facility adjacent to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, which also hosts the annual Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony and the NFL Hall of Fame Game. The change of venue was necessitated because the opening ceremonies of the World Games has long been slated to begin in late June at Protective Stadium. The four-day gap after the scheduled date of the XFL’s championship did not allow for preparation, including setup and rehearsals. "We're excited to play our first playoffs and championship game at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium," said Edward Hartman, XFL Executive Vice President, Business Operations. "It's a beautiful stadium with all the facilities necessary to host football at the highest level, and we look forward to crowning our first champion in the shadow of the Pro Football Hall of Fame."

"We are honored that the state-of-the-art Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium was selected as the destination for the XFL's 2021 playoff," said Mike Levy, President of Operations for HOFV. "Our facility and campus will provide the perfect setting and backdrop for the XFL's playoffs and championships, offering fans and guests visiting our destination multiple opportunities to be engaged at the birthplace of professional football."

XFL Announces that 15 States have Approved Legal Betting on XFL games

March 3, 2021

New York, NY - The XFL issued a press release to say that 15 states have already confirmed that they will have legal, regulated betting on XFL games. “The XFL will be an innovator in how fans watch and root for the teams they love, and we believe that the availability of legal sports wagering is another way fans can deepen their engagement with our games,” said Edward Hartman, XFL Executive Vice President, Business Operations. “We look forward to our fans being able to bet responsibly on XFL games in every state where sports wagering is legal.”

XFL, Officials Extend Deal

January 25, 2003

Stamford, CT - The XFL and the XFL Football Officials' Association (XFOA) have solidified a long-term Collective Bargaining Agreement that will run through 2008, making it the longest current partnership between a league and its game officials in major professional sports. "The integrity of the game is of the utmost importance to the XFL," said Commissioner Oliver Luck. "This agreement ensures that the best XFL officials will be working our games. We have been fortunate to have such a great relationship with our officials and this CBA ensures that relationship will continue through 2008."

XFL, CFL Discussing Potential Partnership

March 8, 2021

New York, NY - The XFL and Canadian Football League announced that the two leagues are working toward a potential partnership. The leagues said in a statement they will work together to "identify opportunities for the leagues to collaborate, innovate, and grow the game of football." No agreement has been reached regarding a potential merging of the leagues. The exact nature of a potential partnership has yet to be announced.

"We are honored and excited to be in discussions with the CFL. It's clear through our early conversations that we share a passion for football, an expansive sense of possibility, and a deep desire to create more opportunity for players and fans across North America and around the world," XFL president and CEO Jeffrey Pollack said in a statement. "Blending the CFL’s rich heritage with our fresh thinking, and the unique reach and experience of our ownership, could be transformative for the game. We look forward to learning more about what's possible together with the CFL and where our shared passion takes us."

The CFL in particular was hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic and might find a financial advantage to shared resources. The CFL canceled its 2020 season after failing to secure $30 million in aid from the Canadian government. It has announced a full 2021 schedule that would begin with preseason games in late May, but it is unclear how the ongoing pandemic will impact attendance at games, which accounts for the league's primary revenue stream.

Vegas Golden Knights Purchase XFL Vegas Franchise

March 11, 2021

Henderson, NV - The Vegas Golden Knights announced that Chairman and CEO Bill Foley, in partnership with Dollar Loan Center CEO Chuck Brennan and Black Knight Sports & Entertainment LLC, has officially purchased the Las Vegas Vipers franchise from the XFL. The expansion franchise is based in the Las Vegas Valley. "Ever since the Golden Knights first arrived in Las Vegas, our community has surpassed all expectations to set a new standard as one of the best new markets in the sports world," said Foley. "Our XFL franchise will reflect the qualities and culture created by the Golden Knights and the Silver Knights, while giving the place we're proud to call home another team to support with passion and enthusiasm."

"Henderson is truly becoming a professional sports hub," said Mayor Debra March. "The City applauds the Golden Knights continued investment in Henderson, which not only enhances the entertainment value and recreational opportunities offered to residents at the Dollar Loan Center, but also benefits the many local businesses that support their teams."

"Not only Vegas, but our league got better today with the announcement of this ownership group," said XFL Commissioner Oliver Luck. "The XFL prides itself in attracting quality owners and Team Foley and Team Brennan sure fit that mold. We are looking forward to 2021 and the many ways this duo will contribute to our great league."
Last edited by BengalErnst on Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:46 pm, edited 11 times in total.
BengalErnst

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: Pro Football Dynasty Reports