What are the three most important ratings you look for?

What are the three most important ratings you look for?

Postby Double Dribble » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:09 am

I hope we can start having discussions about different game strategies and how we approach things so we can learn from each other and enjoy this great game even more.

To get us started, I am curious which ratings people look at.

Since there are so many ratings and so few complete players, I prioritize what I look for to a very narrow subset.

First, it is defense. Then defensive rebounding then scoring. There needs to be at least one scorer on the team, probably two. But I would never get a scorer that couldn't play defense.

What do you look for? Interested to see people's strategies and the different ways it is possible to win consistently in this game.
Double Dribble

Re: What are the three most important ratings you look for?

Postby C-Bailey24 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:03 am

Ball Handling, Defense and Rebounding. Surround my Star player with shooters. I try to avoid anyone with Outside Shooting below 80 unless it's a Center.
C-Bailey24

Postby Tim Moungey » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:52 pm

1. Ball Handling
2. IQ
3. Some position-specific rating

Scoring is the least important rating in the game IMO.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby Double Dribble » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:58 am

Thanks for the responses guys. Interesting on ball handling. I didn't think it was that important, but looking over my team I happen to have good ball handlers. And generally don't turn over the ball so that is obviously a positive.

Tim,

What positive impact does IQ have on the court? Again, my team does well and happens to have high IQ players . Definitely lucked out on that. I never even look at that column.

Also are you saying you value FGJ and FGI more than scoring? I feel like without at least one good scorer, my team will have too much difficulty generating points and will struggle with wins even with a good defense.
Double Dribble

Postby Tim Moungey » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:40 pm

Double Dribble wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. Interesting on ball handling. I didn't think it was that important, but looking over my team I happen to have good ball handlers. And generally don't turn over the ball so that is obviously a positive.

Tim,

What positive impact does IQ have on the court? Again, my team does well and happens to have high IQ players . Definitely lucked out on that. I never even look at that column.

Also are you saying you value FGJ and FGI more than scoring? I feel like without at least one good scorer, my team will have too much difficulty generating points and will struggle with wins even with a good defense.

IQ = better chance of shooting more accurately, fewer turnovers, and perhaps a small effect on foul chance. Also seems to affect postseason stats - higher IQ players are more likely to replicate or better their regular season stats in the playoffs. Lower IQ is the opposite and one of the reasons why I look at playoff stats.

Scoring really only affects who is most likely to take the shot (also dependent on your team makeup and offense, and opponent's defense). Too many scorers and your efficiency gets dinged (everyone fighting over the ball). No real scorers can still work, but because the shot distribution is going to be equal, you need everyone to be efficient at shooting.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby Double Dribble » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:54 am

I have a post heavy team with great perimeter defense, but the guards had terrible shooting ratings. Other teams would just collapse on my post guys and force them to kick the ball out and my perimeter guys would be forced to take the shot even though they had low scoring ratings and i would call them and say less jumpers, more passing. It didn't matter lol

So based on your advice I picked up a guy with great jump shooting rating, but not much else. But man, what a difference did it make. It opened up the whole offense and the team went from slightly under 500 to making the playoffs. The jump shooting guard averaged 18 points a game, and my post guys scoring and shooting percentage went back up as well.

The ratings and the team building and the strategy work so well together in this game. Role players have value if you can find the right one.
Double Dribble

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2020 General Discussion