CPU GM Spending

CPU GM Spending

Postby revoz » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:09 am

In my game currently there is little to no movement in free agency as CPU controlled teams just resign pretty much any worthy players on their roster. This causes them to not have any cap space. The problem I think is that the GMs don't actually follow ownership spending rules. The GMs that spend $100M over cap never lose their jobs while if I over spend 2 to 3 years my job is in jeopardy. Anyone else having this issue?

revoz

Re: CPU GM Spending

Postby Gary Gorski » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:21 pm

All of the teams do have to follow their ownership rules and GMs should be getting fired for poor performance - I will take a look at the code though because teams should be more willing to free up cap space. I'm curious how far into your league this screenshot is from and who are the players that are pushing a team like Minnesota to +100m over the cap.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby revoz » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:00 pm

This is about 8 seasons in. 2027 when the screen shot was taken.

revoz

Postby Gary Gorski » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:39 pm

Some of those are obviously later draft picks to come into the game - did Culver turn into a superstar? What kinds of players are Ondera and Blackmon? I'm curious if these are all draft pick resigns that aren't worth the money but they just kept them anyways (which isn't necessarily a bad strategy if the team can't get FAs - but maybe its too extreme here)
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby revoz » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:17 pm

The spending definitely feels a bit off. The only 3.5+ player not drafted originally by the Timberwolves is Pearson (traded). The owner's willingness to spend is a little above average so I think when the draft picks' rookie contracts come to an end, the team should have to give up their rights to keep their budget realistic. Spending $100M+ over the cap just to keep all their stars clog up the team and makes FA movement impossible, if all teams had this mentality.

revoz

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:31 pm

Well according to that screenshot there is a new owner so all of the prior spending done was under a prior owner who may have been willing to spend anything. I also can't really fault them for spending the money on KAT, Culver or Ondera - 4 star plus players aren't exactly in great supply and then if you've got a couple 3.5 star players beyond that...I can at least justify that as spending for a team that could win a championship. In fact its sort of what they should do - what would the sense be in saying "no need to resign these other potential all-stars - we've already got two 5 star guys so that's enough talent".

I will look at it still but I would be much more concerned if they were just overpaying sort of star guys when they could free up cap space - there's no reason this team should free up the cap space because they can have way more talent by using bird rights and going over the cap. IMO the spending is justified in this case.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2020 General Discussion