So, you want to be a GM?!?

So, you want to be a GM?!?

Postby daltontr » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:51 pm

I'm not a Chicago native, but I married someone who is, so I'm required by law to love all things associated with the Windy City. Hence, I decide it's time to bring the Bulls back to their former glory.

Season I
I fire the entire staff eighteen games into the season (5-13) and replace them with a rather expensive bunch, led by Tom Thibodeau ($10 mil/yr). After some wheeling and dealing, I get the team to about $8 mil under the cap and strengthen the lineup. Team comes together over the winter and we go on a 12-3 run in March, winning nine straight at one point. We finish the season 42-42 and make the playoffs. In the first round we surprisingly sweep the Bucks in round one (Giannis was out with an injury) and then promptly get stomped by the Nets in four straight. The Nets go on to win the Championship.

Is Jerry Reinsdorf happy, oh hell no! We don't have a 4-star player, didn't go deep enough into the playoffs and he is pissed about...the budget?!? In his words, "It's a total disaster!"

Season II
I make a huge trade to get Trea Young from the Hawks (Cost me players and two 1st round picks) and I make a few more roster improvements. We have five 3.5 star players and Young is a potential five star overall. Plus, we are now $9.5 mil under the cap! Season starts out great and we win the division with a 55-27 record. #1 Defense, #1 Free Throws, #1 Blocks, #2 Rebounds...and we did it with NO 4-star players. Unfortunately, we had to play the defending champs in the first round and get bounced once again by the Nets; who eventually lose to the Jazz in the finals. Tough break meeting the Nets so early in the playoffs, but we are positioned nicely to make a run at some free agent talent in the off season. I feel like we are on the verge of some real success. I'm really pleased with our progress and I can't wait for next season.

Jerry Reinsdorf...not so much.

Once again, the sky is falling and for the second straight year..."It's a total disaster!" Really? A total disaster...how exactly?...so I tell him, "I need more time?" and he promptly fires me. We're on the verge of some real success and I get shown the door. No, there was no 4-star player and sure we got bounced in the first round, but it was the freaking Nets for crying out loud...and what's with him complaining about the budg...and then it occurs to me that he wasn't referring to the salary cap, he was bent about the staff budget. I went back to a saved game and found I was nearly $10 mil over budget with my staff.

Success comes a price...JERRY!

The moral of the story is do what the owner wants or hit the skids pal. ;-)
daltontr
Elite Member

Re: So, you want to be a GM?!?

Postby korme » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:57 pm

The owner is always very difficult. Set expectations low and promise you'll spend a shitload of money so he's not pissed at the end of the season
korme

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2020 General Discussion