Multiplayer league questions

Multiplayer league questions

Postby vintagebball » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:33 am

Hi, years ago I was the owner of an online league using in that case the FBB, and I really enjoyed all the process, it was fun and I was very commit to run it successful and actually did.
I purchased the DDSPB20 and I figure it has a lot of differences and improvements, although that old game was simple but at same time easy to manage so I'm wondering if I can replicate that online league with your software.

1. One of the "least fun" parts was to simulate each day as I had to wait each user to send its updated lineup and change manually by myself, same with all the trades, etc., so it was a lot of time consuming. Here I created different human players on my multiplayer league. Is it possible that each user enters the game from his own computer, make the changes (save?) and then I only need to enter as a commish and simulate? If it's possible, does each user needs to buy the full version of the software?

2. For what I've seen, if I select Global Control, uses can't edit the lineup, so I must select Local Control? I want each user to make trades and edit lineups, without playing the game, only simulating.

3. How can edit and create new players on a custom roster? I know how to edit in a league and I exported the DB but it says format not recognized when I open it.

4. I've read something about FTP files, etc. I must read it more carefully, but does that it mean if I configure it, the files will automatically update on the website after the simulation?

5. I exported HTML files, is there a file like "index.html" or "teams" to display all teams link to their roster?

I'm still testing the game so I may come with more questions, and if you have recommendations, I have a general background but I'm sure I can do many nice things with your software. Thanks
vintagebball

Re: Multiplayer league questions

Postby Tim Moungey » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:36 am

1. One of the "least fun" parts was to simulate each day as I had to wait each user to send its updated lineup and change manually by myself, same with all the trades, etc., so it was a lot of time consuming. Here I created different human players on my multiplayer league. Is it possible that each user enters the game from his own computer, make the changes (save?) and then I only need to enter as a commish and simulate? If it's possible, does each user needs to buy the full version of the software?

You can have your users make changes and export a file. The file will be called something like Team16 (with the 16 part being whatever the Team ID number is). They would need to send you the file or post it somewhere (Most leagues use a message board/forum similar to this one). You would download all the files, import them, and sim. Trades you would have to process yourself because that's something only the commish can do.

In order to do the above, however, everyone has to own the game. Otherwise you'll have to put everything in manually for the teams that don't own the game.

2. For what I've seen, if I select Global Control, uses can't edit the lineup, so I must select Local Control? I want each user to make trades and edit lineups, without playing the game, only simulating.

Select Global Control. What happens is you set a password for each team in the setup process, and then they select the team or username in the drop-down, enter in the password, and then can edit lineups, depth chart, strategies. Trades, as mentioned above, need to be done by the commish (it's to prevent cheating and headaches).

3. How can edit and create new players on a custom roster? I know how to edit in a league and I exported the DB but it says format not recognized when I open it.

What program are using to try and open it? I prefer MDBPlus personally, although it should open in Microsoft Access if you have that.

4. I've read something about FTP files, etc. I must read it more carefully, but does that it mean if I configure it, the files will automatically update on the website after the simulation?

That I don't know for certain. What I do know is how previous versions worked:

1. The commish creates the file (or sims and saves the file, if after setup)
2. The file is posted online - usually through Dropbox (You can just use free account for this)
3. The players download the league file, go in and enter their team passwords, make their changes except for trades, export the team file, and post the team file (again, message boards/forums are normally done for this, though if you have some type of server with an upload mechanism, or even email, you could do it that way too)
4. The commish downloads all the team files to Whatevertheleaguenameis/Multiplayer folder path, goes into the game, and clicks Import Files on the commish screen in the game. The files import, and you can now sim.
5. The commish sims and saves the file, repeat the process over again for each sim.

5. I exported HTML files, is there a file like "index.html" or "teams" to display all teams link to their roster?

Sort of. Assuming you're hosting the HTML files online, the best way to do this is link to the Standings page. From there, they can click on their team name and go to their roster. Note: They won't be able to do anything on the HTML - no lineup changes or anything like that. But they can view information, stats, schedule, results, etc.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2020 General Discussion