Multiple Leagues (Int’l + dev) And Other Suggestions

Multiple Leagues (Int’l + dev) And Other Suggestions

Postby Dr. Jay » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:06 pm

Hello,

Not sure if anyone else would be interested in this, but for me, the ideal “Pro Basketball” game would include everything you have in your current Pro Basketball game PLUS additional leagues, a two-way sync with the college game and international competition (ie, FIBA World Cup, Olympics, etc). Basically, a game that would be very similar to Football Manager (FM), but dedicated to professional basketball instead. In my humble opinion, Football Manager is the pinnacle of sports management simulations games. Other sports managements sims should use FM as a model for how to build an immersive experience for the simulation gamer.

MULTIPLE LEAGUES

If this game were extended beyond the NBA to include international club basketball (like the Chinese league where many former NBAers go or the NBL where LeMelo Ball played recently), complete with Reserve and U19 youth squads, league promotion and relegation as well as a Champions League format, it could take the experience to a whole other level.

Throw in developmental league play for the Reserve and U19 teams and it gets deeper. Also, on the NBA side, there should be a G-League with teams having affiliation to NBA organizations (as is the case in real life). In addition to training camps, it would be cool if there were also a Summer League for NBA rookies and developmental prospects, many of whom will end up playing overseas in one of the international leagues mentioned above.

This would give the sim players more opportunities to continue to grow and develop as professionals. Professional basketball is truly global at this point and the way things are done in leagues overseas can be extremely fun to play out. Especially as it relates to relegation/promotion and Champions leagues.

INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION

One aspect of FM that I truly enjoy (and never would’ve thought about if not for the game) is the aspect of international competition. Country vs Country in various tournaments, like the FIBA World Cup and the Olympics. Adding this aspect to the game would make it addictive (just as FM can be...if only there were a basketball version).

2-WAY SYNC

My last suggestion (these are all for future versions of the game, btw, not just the 2021 version) is for there to be advanced logic built into the career progression of players. It would be cool if players could become coaches and then cycle through the coaching ranks. Furthermore, it would be REALLY cool if retired players (who opted to do so) could be imported back into the college game as college coaches with all of their history and accolades intact.

It would be REALLY awesome if every year, certain coaches could be imported to and from the college and pro games. Some college coaches are really good at the college level, but when they take the step up to the pro game they find out they’re not as good at that level. Some are better suited for the pro game (and vice versa). Then you have coaches (like Rick Pitino) who have coached at the NCAA, NBA and International Club level. I believe he is a former player as well. Almost all of the coaches in the game should be former players, really.

I can go on for days, but I’ll just end here for now. I think you get the point. Just think - a basketball version of Football Manager. That would be an ideal basketball simulation game.

Thank you,
Dr. Jay

Re: Multiple Leagues (Int’l + dev) And Other Suggestions

Postby ripkobe » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:36 am

These are all great ideas, though daunting ones. The game's focus the past year has seemed to be towards improving quality of life and making the game less wordy/numbery - which I can see being important for developers hoping to broaden the game's audience, though I personally have never minded :).

If there's one thing to take from your post that I do think could be achieved without much difficulty, it would be a FIBA cup every two or four years for players with European leagues activated. I'd also revisit European leagues extensively in testing, as they had a lot of random hiccup glitches last season (I still could never figure out how to view awards by specific league) but is one of the coolest systems that I feel most players tend to avoid. A world cup could involve reaching out to gather an American team, assess a few random countries not represented in EuroLeague as things stand now that could be autofilled by random players for each Cup series (who are then perhaps put back into Euroleague? Though I think as things stand now, it's difficult to hire, say, a Spanish player in, say, an Israeli league. League eligibility is connected to nationality as far as I can tell, which also makes American's entering more complicated) with NBA players assigned to teams of their nationality. It could happen over the summer, wouldn't worry so much as matching all of the qualifiers for timelines, even just a basic rudimentary tournament would be a blast :)
ripkobe

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2020 General Discussion