Tales from the front office

Re: Tales from the front office

Postby daltontr » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:33 pm

2026-2027 SEASON - PLAYOFFS - CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP (GAME 5)

A typical Bulls victory, with the Bulls starters all scoring in double figures and Markelle Fultz coming off the bench to contribute 15 points of his own. Bradley Beal led the Bulls with 26 points, but Matt Hankins once again went on a tear, scoring 54 points for the Magic! Villarreal and Culver combined for 35 points, but the rest of the team did little else. So, for the second year in a row, the Chicago Bulls defeat the Orlando Magic in the Eastern Conference Finals. I must admit, I feel a little sorry for Hankins, because he did everything he could, but his supporting cast let him down yet again.

Code: Select all
           EASTERN CONFERENCE                        WESTERN CONFERENCE
        Q1   Q2   Q3   Q4   OT    F   W            Q1   Q2   Q3   Q4   OT    F   W
ORL(3)| 25 | 34 | 31 | 25 | -- | 115 (1) | GSW(3)| 28 | 25 | 30 | 23 | -- | 106 (1)
CHI(1)| 39 | 17 | 31 | 35 | -- | 122 (4) | DAL(1)| 33 | 37 | 25 | 23 | -- | 118 (4)

---------------------
daltontr
Elite Member

Postby daltontr » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:37 pm

2026-2027 SEASON - PLAYOFFS - NBA FINALS (PREVIEW)

The Mavericks are no strangers to the NBA Finals, having won an NBA Championship as recently as 2023. They were also in the finals in 2021, but were swept by the Chicago Bulls in four straight. The Mavericks will be looking to avenge that loss and will do so with what some will say is the best team in the NBA. Dallas went 66-16 during the regular season, second only to the Bulls 69-13 record. However, the Mavericks have the 2nd ranked offense, 2nd ranked defense and they were also ranked #1 in the NBA Power Rankings.

What makes the Mavericks so good? Well, since you asked, it is the dynamic duo of point guard Luka Doncic (5 Stars) and power forward Kristaps Porzingis (4.5 Stars). The rest of the starting five is comprised of shooting guard Elfrid Payton (2.5 stars), small forward Jonathan Isaac (3 Stars) and center Thomas Bryant(3 stars) who was signed as a free agent in the off season.

Obviously, Doncic and Porzingis are the primary threats for the Mavericks. Both players are outstanding shooters and combined with the Mavericks stout defense, Dallas doesn't really need to get much from rest of their supporting cast. Personally, I think Doncic is the key to this team and if we can find a way to slow him down our odds of repeating as NBA Champs will increase dramatically. Doncic is simply one of the best point guards in the league, averaging 24.9 ppg, 8.2 apg and 8.5 rpg. That puts him in the top five in points, assists and rebounding for all NBA Guards. In other words, he is pretty damn good.

At the age of 31, Kristaps Porzingis might be on the wrong side of thirty, but he can still play at a high level. Porzingis has averaged over 22.6 points and 8 rebounds per game in the playoffs, but he can be a bit streaky when facing the leagues better defenses. Regardless, he will be a handful and if your going to defeat the Mavericks, you must slow down either Porzingis or Doncic. The Mavericks defense is simply too good to allow they're two best offensive weapons to go unmolested. As they say, defense wins championships and with two teams both ranked in the top four in both offense and defense, this series should be no exception.

---------------------
daltontr
Elite Member

Postby daltontr » Fri May 01, 2020 5:28 pm

2026-2027 SEASON - PLAYOFFS - NBA FINALS (GAME 1)

That was an inauspicious start to the series. Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis combined for 78 points and 23 rebounds in what I can only describe as a drubbing. This game was never close and the Mavericks led by as much as 27 points in the third quarter. The Mavericks dominated in every aspect of the game and to be perfectly honest, this was an embarrassing loss for the Bulls. Sure, it's only one game, but this game was so lopsided that the Bulls have to be a little demoralized. The Bulls simply don't lose many home games and to lose in such dramatic fashion certainly raised a lot of eyebrows around the league. It will be interesting to see if Coach Starks can rally the troops and bounce back in game two. If they don't, this series could be over sooner than later.

NBA FINALS
        Q1   Q2   Q3   Q4   OT    F   W
DAL(1)| 36 | 31 | 36 | 30 | -- | 133 (1)
CHI(1)| 28 | 31 | 24 | 33 | -- | 116 (0)

---------------------
Last edited by daltontr on Fri May 01, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daltontr
Elite Member

Postby daltontr » Fri May 01, 2020 5:29 pm

2026-2027 SEASON - PLAYOFFS - NBA FINALS (GAME 2)

Not much to say about this game. It was certainly winnable, but after getting down by 14, the Bulls simply couldn't bridge the gap and now the Mavericks have a commanding two games to none lead. Luka Doncic was again named the Player of the Game, with 33 points, 13 assists and 5 rebounds. Kristaps Porzingis added 28 points and 10 rebounds of his own. For the Bulls, it was a solid performance, but they have been unable to find a way to slow down either Porzingis or Doncic. If they don't find an answer soon, they face the real prospect of being swept. Game three is a must win and Dallas are now heavy favorites to win the series.

NBA FINALS
DAL(1)| 27 | 30 | 26 | 34 | -- | 117 (2)
CHI(1)| 20 | 35 | 24 | 31 | -- | 110 (0)

---------------------
daltontr
Elite Member

Postby daltontr » Fri May 01, 2020 5:32 pm

2026-2027 SEASON - PLAYOFFS - NBA FINALS (GAME 3)

There really is no way to sugar coat it, that was an ass whipping of epic proportions. The Mavericks took the Bulls to the woodshed and this series is all but over. Luka Doncic recorded a triple-double, 27 points, 10 assists, 10 rebounds and was unsurprisingly named the player of the game. He will most certainly be named the series MVP and the Bulls have been beaten so thoroughly that it is unlikely they can rebound from such a dramatic defeat. Mavericks fans will most likely be celebrity an NBA title after game four, because I really don't think we have any answer for the Doncic and Porzingis duo.

NBA FINALS
CHI(1)| 17 | 21 | 22 | 29 | -- |  89 (0)
DAL(1)| 29 | 29 | 29 | 37 | -- | 124 (3)

---------------------
daltontr
Elite Member

Postby daltontr » Fri May 01, 2020 5:33 pm

2026-2027 SEASON - PLAYOFFS - NBA FINALS (GAME 4)

I don't know what to say. I certainly didn't think it would be an easy series, but I never imagined us getting swept in four. This was not in the script and hugely disappointing after such a magnificent regular season. You simply can't shoot 30% from the field and 23% from three and beat...well...anyone, certainly not a team as talented as the Dallas Mavericks. So, congratulations to the Dallas Mavericks, they certainly deserve all the accolades. Now what...usually at this point I'm either celebrating or eagerly look towards the off season. However, this was a devastating beat down and not something anyone in the Bulls organization will soon get over. We entered the playoffs with what we thought was a better than average shot at winning back-to-back titles, but to get beat so thoroughly makes me wonder if we are headed in the wrong direction. I need time to digest this and reevaluate our options as we head into the off season.

NBA FINALS
CHI(1)| 29 | 16 | 27 | 19 | -- |  91 (0)
DAL(1)| 33 | 18 | 32 | 35 | -- | 118 (4)

---------------------
Last edited by daltontr on Fri May 01, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daltontr
Elite Member

Postby daltontr » Fri May 01, 2020 7:55 pm

2026-2027 SEASON - END OF YEAR AWARDS

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER
Matt Hankins (Guard ORL) 32.2 ppg / 7.0 apg / 4.9 rpg / 3.8 spg / 0.8 bpg

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Matt Hankins (Guard ORL) 32.2 ppg / 7.0 apg / 4.9 rpg / 3.8 spg / 0.8 bpg

SIXTH MAN OF THE YEAR
Dennis Smith (Guard DEN) 14.3 ppg / 5.9 apg / 3.6 rpg / 1.8 spg / 0.6 bpg

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Terry Rosen (Forward TOR) 11.6 ppg / 2.7 apg / 5.6 rpg / 1.8 spg / 0.6 bpg

COACH OF THE YEAR
Rick Carlisle - Dallas Mavericks 66-16

ALL-LEAGUE 1st TEAM
G Matt Hankins (ORL)
G Donovan Mitchell (UTA)
F Jayson Tatum (BOS)
F Bernard Person (PHO)
C Justin McCuthison (CHI) <---

ALL-LEAGUE 2nd TEAM
G Trae Young (ATL)
G Jamaal Hickerson (LAL)
F Rui Hachimura (GSW)
F Anthony Davis (POR)
C Deandre Ayton (PHO)

ALL-LEAGUE 3rd TEAM
G Ja Morant (MEM)
G Zach LaVine (MIA)
F Sharone Preston (CLE)
F Zion Williamson (NOP)
C Karl-Anthony Towns (MIN)

ALL-DEFENSIVE 1st TEAM
G Matt Hankins (ORL)
G Matisse Thybulle (DEN)
F Casey Ohanlon (GSW)
F Kristaps Porzingis (DAL)
C Mitchell Robinson (NYK)

ALL-DEFENSIVE 2nd TEAM
G Luka Doncic (DAL)
G Juan Menser (MIN)
F Jayson Tatum (BOS)
F Zion Williamson (NOP)
C Justin McCuthison (CHI) <---

ALL-ROOKIE 1st TEAM
G Freddie Carney (DET)
G Ricky Riley (BKN)
F Terry Rosen (TOR)
F Ryan Jefferson (MIL)
C Michael Kern (IND)

ALL-ROOKIE 2nd TEAM
G Marcus Bosl (CHI) <---
G Ivo Brozovic (SAC)
F Mackel Alexander (WAS)
F Lee Askew (CHI) <---
C Wright Grant (ORL)

---------------------
daltontr
Elite Member

Postby daltontr » Fri May 01, 2020 8:01 pm

2026-2027 OFF SEASON REPORT

OWNER MEETING
Jerry was mildly disappointed that we didn't come away with the Championship, but he had no other complaints and I agreed to stay on another year when offered. I think he could tell I was still reeling from the way the season had ended and he seemed oddly cordial. He said we'd talk in a couple days, but after I hung up, I had a weird feeling...I can't really explain it, something just seemed off. Jerry has always been a real task master, who has little to no tolerance for people who don't meet his expectations. Sure, I stayed within the agreed upon budget, but he didn't seem as disappointed with the way the season had ended as I was. It was just a little weird.

So, I go back to the office and start prepping for the off season, when out of the blue I get a call from Mario Humphries. Who the hell is Mario Humphries? Well, he just happens to be the new owner of the Chicago Bulls! You could have knocked me over with a feather. I did not see this coming and I can't decide whether or not to be excited or fearful. I don't know much about Mr. Humphries just yet, but I do know he has an even tighter ass than ole Jerry. At least Jerry would allow me to exceed the cap to hunt down a championship, Humphries is adamant that I stay within the cap...I hate to say it, but I think this is my last year in Chicago. I want to work for an owner who wants to win as much as I do and who isn't afraid to spend a little money. Needless to say, the owner and I did not get off on the right foot.

PLAYER CONTRACTS
The majority of the team is returning for next season, but we are losing center Steven Adams and shooting guard Markelle Fultz at the end of this year. Both Adams and Fultz played well coming off the bench and I will be sorry to see them go. Power forward Lee Askew and point guard Marcus Bosl were both named to the 2nd team All-Rookie squad and I intend to exercise their rookie options. I also have rookie options available for small forward Viktor Florakis and point guard Andrew Miller. Florakis has a lot of upside and I will exercise his rookie option, but I'm still on the fence with Miller. Miller is a solid player, but I don't see him progressing into a starting role and we already have three point guards on the roster. I think Miller is going to be a last minute decision.

Starters P.J. Washington (PF), Brandon Ingram (SF) and Justin McCuthison will all be free agents at the end of next season. Washington has already stated that he intends on pursuing free agency, I am unable to offer Ingram an extension and McCuthison is going to want an extension that would make him the highest paid player on the team. Probably somewhere in the range of thirty plus million. I'd prefer to hold over an extension offer until after the free agency period, but I'm afraid if I don't pay him now, we may lose him to free agency at the end of next season. I think I'll wait until the season is officially over, but I intend on doing whatever it takes to keep this kid on the payroll.

STAFF CONTRACTS
All four members of the coaching staff have two years remaining on their current contracts.

---------------------
daltontr
Elite Member

Postby daltontr » Mon May 04, 2020 5:22 pm

2027-2028 PRE SEASON REPORT

So...new owner and he demands we stay within the cap, but we were $42.2 million dollars OVER the cap before renouncing the rights to Adams, Fultz and Williams. After doing that we were still $256,127 over the cap. I have to admit, I'm really getting over this penny pinching crap. I'm almost tempted to just gut this team out of spite...but I won't. I'm going to somehow get this team under the cap and then let the chips fall where they may. Seriously, this is beyond irritating. The owner expects us to make a deep playoff run, but I've got to cut payroll AND retain P.J. Washington, who has already declared that he intends on testing the free agent waters at the end of the season. Well...guess who just moved to the top of the list of potential trades! Man...I really want to eviscerate this team and then Mic drop ole Humphries at the end of the season, but I have a reputation to maintain, so I'm going to make the best of a bad situation. Regardless of what happens this season, I think I'll explore my options at the end of the year. I would like more financial freedom to compete with the Dallas Mavericks of the world. Hell, maybe Mark Cuban will give me a job...

...Okay, a significant amount of time has passed since I wrote that previous paragraph and I've decided to completely gut the team, but not in a bad way. Essentially, I decided that if this was going to be my last hurrah, I was going to go out with a bang. I was going to assemble the best possible team that I could, with the caveat that no one was untouchable and if I ended up over the cap when all was said and done, so be it. What's the worst the owner can do, fire me. Don't do me any favors pal. So, I began scouring the NBA to see which teams might be willing to make some deals and many, many, many, hours later, I had completely reshaped the team. Four of the five starters are now gone! Marcus Donovan and Bradley Beal were packaged in a deal to obtain D'Angelo Russell from the Warriors. Brandon Ingram was sent to the Celtics for Jayson Tatum and P.J. Washington was shipped out to Toronto for Giannis Antetokounmpo. Yes, Giannis is getting old in the tooth, but I only need one more season out of him. The last deal I made was to acquire shooting guard Gregory Hawkins from the Wizards for Viktor Florakis and a 2028 1st round pick via Golden State. I like Hawkins a lot. He is a rookie, so I don't think coach Starks will start him, but he should see significant minutes and I think he is a potential Rookie of the Year.

By the way, that deal for Jayson Tatum was crazy and I'm pretty certain that the Celtics GM Clarence Anderson is going to get fired for it. He must have been off his meds, because they gave us Tatum and their 2029 first round pick for Ingram. Yea, I know that is completely insane, but it happened and I couldn't believe it myself. It was one for the ages and now Ingram is by far the best player the Celtics have, because the GM gutted the rest of the team and fired the entire coaching staff! Their starting lineup looks like this: Edwin Simmons (PG), Romeo Langford (SG), Brandon Ingram (SF), Bobby Portis (PF) and Anzejis Pacecniks (C). I can only assume that the GM was aggressively cutting salaries, because they are now one of only three teams under the cap.

Anyway, when all was said and done with the trades, we went from $256k to $6.5 million over the cap and I wasn't done spending. If you think Humphries is pissed now, wait until he sees the bill for the free agents I'm about to sign. Do I care? No, I do not. It's all or nothing this season, so time to go shopping in the free agent market. I may be over the cap, but I was certain I could get a key player or two via the mid and low level exceptions. My first thought was to go after a couple known quantities, shooting guard Markelle Fultz and center Steven Adams. I went after Fultz first, only because I knew there were very few free agent shooting guards. I figured since Adams was pushing thirty-five, he might eventually settle for a low level exception near the end of the free agent period. I figured that was a long shot, but you only get one mid level exception and I needed someone to provide top cover for my rookie shooting guard. There wasn't a lot of player movement in the beginning and nearly all of the activity revolved around teams re-signing their own players. However, on July 27th, Fultz accepted the mid level offer and I was thrilled. Now I just needed a big man and Steven Adams was still unsigned. He dismissed my initial low level exception offer, so I figured I wait until August 1st and try again. August 1st came and Adams agreed to the low level exception and now I had my two guys. I was pretty pleased with myself, because that doesn't happen very often. Lastly, I made a minimum offer to former Bulls small forward Chandler Hutchison to provide a little extra depth on the bench and he eagerly accepted.

DRAFT
Nothing to get excited about. We had two picks in the second round and drafted small forward Travis Gibson and small forward Antonio Alexander. I don't think either will make the team.

TRADES
Warriors trade PG D'Angelo Russell, 2028 1st round pick, 2030 1st round pick for PG Marcus Donovan and SG Bradley Beal.
Celtics trade SF Jayson Tatum, 2029 1st round pick (CHI via BOS) for SF Brandon Ingram.
Raptors trade PF Giannis Antetokounmpo for PF P.J. Washington.
Wizards trade SG Gregory Hawkins, 2029 2nd round pick for SF Viktor Florakis, 2028 1st round pick (GSW via CHI)

CONTRACTS
Exercised rookie option for Marcus Bosl.
Exercised rookie option for Andrew Miller.
Exercised rookie option for Viktor Florakis.
Exercised rookie option for Lee Askew.
Renounced rights to Steven Adams
Renounced rights to Markelle Fultz
Renounced rights to Kurtis Williams
Release and renounced rights to Travis Gibson
Release and renounced rights to Antonio Alexander

SUMMER LEAGUE ASSIGNMENTS
C | James Jackson
PF | Lee Askew
PF | Jermaine Baker
SF | Antonio Alexander
SF | Travis Gibson
SF | Viktor Florakis
PG | Marcus Bosl
PG | Andrew Miller

FREE AGENCY
Signed Markell Fultz to a 1-year deal worth $13,300,00
Signed Steven Adams to a 1-year deal worth $5,100,000
Signed Chandler Hutchison to a 1-year deal worth $2,976,861

TEAM ROSTER
STARTERS              | PS | GM | GS | MPG  | PPG  | APG | RPG |
D'Angelo Russell      | PG |  0 |  0 |  0.0 |  0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 |
Markelle Fultz        | SG |  0 |  0 |  0.0 |  0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 |
Jayson Tatum          | SF |  0 |  0 |  0.0 |  0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 |
Giannis Antetokounmpo | PF |  0 |  0 |  0.0 |  0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 |
Justin McCuthison     | C  |  0 |  0 |  0.0 |  0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 |
---------------------------------------------------------------
BENCH                 | PS | GM | GS | MPG  | PPG  | APG | RPG |
Gregory Hawkins       | SG |  0 |  0 |  0.0 |  0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 |
Jermaine Baker        | PF |  0 |  0 |  0.0 |  0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 |
Steven Adams          | C  |  0 |  0 |  0.0 |  0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 |
Spencer Dinwiddie     | PG |  0 |  0 |  0.0 |  0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 |
Chad Hutchison        | SF |  0 |  0 |  0.0 |  0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 |
Lee Askew             | PF |  0 |  0 |  0.0 |  0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 |
Andrew Miller         | PG |  0 |  0 |  0.0 |  0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 |
Marcus Bosl           | PG |  0 |  0 |  0.0 |  0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 |
James Jackson         | C  |  0 |  0 |  0.0 |  0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 |
D-LEAGUE              | PS | GM | GS | MPG  | PPG  | APG | RPG |
Marcus Bosl           | PG |  0 |  0 |  0.0 |  0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 |
James Jackson         | C  |  0 |  0 |  0.0 |  0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0 |

CONTRACTS (TEAM SALARY $180,591,551 / CAP STATUS $-27,591,551)
Player                | PS | CUR | POT | HGT | LBS | AG | EX |   SALARY    | CONTRACT
Giannis Antetokounmpo | PF | 5.0 | 5.0 | 6-11| 242 | 33 | 14 | $47,351,563 | $148,171,857/3y
D'Angelo Russell      | PG | 3.5 | 3.5 | 6-4 | 193 | 31 | 12 | $35,086,694 | $72,468,779/2y
Jayson Tatum          | SF | 4.0 | 4.0 | 6-8 | 204 | 29 | 10 | $34,941,933 | $111,662,262/3y
Markelle Fultz        | SG | 2.5 | 2.5 | 6-3 | 200 | 29 | 10 | $13,000,000 | $13,000,000/1y
Gregory Hawkins       | SG | 3.0 | 4.0 | 6-4 | 198 | 22 |  R | $9,655,533  | $20,035,133/2y (RO)
Justin McCuthison     | C  | 3.5 | 4.0 | 6-11| 280 | 23 |  3 | $9,305,456  | $9,305,456/1y
Lee Askew             | PF | 2.0 | 4.0 | 6-9 | 241 | 24 |  1 | $8,119,600  | $16,807,572/2y (RO)
Steven Adams          | C  | 2.5 | 2.5 | 6-11| 265 | 34 | 14 | $5,100,000  | $5,100,000/1y
Jermaine Baker        | PF | 3.0 | 3.0 | 6-8 | 217 | 26 |  3 | $4,491,902  | $4,491,902/1y
Spence Dinwiddie      | PG | 2.0 | 2.0 | 6-5 | 215 | 34 | 13 | $3,179,173  | $3,179,173/1y
Andrew Miller         | PG | 2.0 | 2.0 | 5-11| 178 | 24 |  2 | $3,066,406  | $7,794,804/2y
Chandler Hutchison    | SF | 2.0 | 2.0 | 6-7 | 197 | 31 |  9 | $2,976,861  | $2,976,861/1y
Marcus Bosl           | PG | 2.0 | 2.5 | 6-0 | 189 | 24 |  1 | $2,224,400  | $4,604,508/2y (RO)
James Jackson         | C  | 1.5 | 3.0 | 6-11| 270 | 22 |  1 | $1,792,030  | $1,792,030/1y

---------------------
daltontr
Elite Member

Postby daltontr » Mon May 04, 2020 10:11 pm

2027-2028 SEASON - OCTOBER

I knew this team was going to be good offensively, but I am surprised by how well the defense has played. Granted, it's early in the season and it didn't hurt that we had five home games in the month of October. Nevertheless, we lead the league in points-per-game with 117.7 and are ranked 3rd in offense and defense. We are also ranked 2nd in the power rankings behind the New York Knicks. Most surprising, is the poor play by the Celtics and the Hornets. Well, the Celtics did kind of mortgage their season with some questionable player/staff moves, but the Hornets I just don't get. How does a team with a starting lineup of Kendrick Nunn (4-Star), Tony Neeser (4-Star), Tyrone Fisher (3-Star), Chris Miller (4-Star) and Julius Randle (3-Star) start the season 0-7? That makes no sense to me.

SCHEDULE
   GAME   |  SCORE  | W-L |
CHI @ TOR | 127-111 |  W  |
MIL @ CHI |  94-117 |  W  |
MIN @ CHI |  87-104 |  W  |
WAS @ CHI | 119-126 |  W  |
TOR @ CHI | 105-115 |  W  |
CHI @ CHA | 130-120 |  W  |
POR @ CHI |  81-105 |  W  |
---------------------------
RECORD     W-L