Oklahoma City Redux - No "Process" Here-Win NOW!

1st Season Offseason

Postby brimick87 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:00 am

Ownership was upset that I don't have a 4 star player and that we didn't go on a playoff run. But they were happy I stayed within the budgets.

I'll get to staff in the season preview because that's just gamey here. We're just trying to fit a decent staff under a budget.

We stashed the 56th pick overseas, probably never to hear from him again.

As previously stated Burton and Diallo are gone as they were on expirings. Muscala did turn down his player option. Faried and Bogdonovic are UFA's.

I signed Bogdonivic to a 3 year deal worth about 46.8 million, but the third year is a player option because as stated before we want cap flexibility after Paul's contract is up. I signed Faried to a 2yr-20 million deal for the mid level exception. I also signed Dragic and Bertans to 1 year contracts at the veterans minumum.

Interestingly, Drummond took a one year offer from the Lakers for about $10 million at the mid level exception. Had I known he was going to be available at that price I would have been in the hunt and let Faried go. It'll be interesting to see what a front court combo Davis-Drummond make for the Lakers. Did Drummond actually simply give up 20 million by opting out and not even securing a long term deal? Weird, but life is strange.
brimick87

2020 Preview

Postby brimick87 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:49 am

I have 2 open roster spots but signing anyone will put me over the player budget so I'm standing pat.

Staff :
Billy Donovan - His contract is up at the end of this year and mercifully so. He's starting Faried over Washington for god sake's. And seems to be considering playing Dragic more than SHA. He can go.

Earl Watson - $2.9 million dollars a year for 5 years....He's our head coach next year when Donovan's $6 million salary is off the books.

Rick Brunson - $ 1 million dollars a year for 5 year- A quality 2nd assistant as they go

Vin Bhavnani - His contract experies at the end of this season and I'll go from there

We're enough over the staff budget to be given a partial training staff budget hit. But I think I'm just barely under the budget,

CP3/SHA/Dragic

The same situation as last year except dragic has been added for extra depth

Bogdanovic/Huerter

Bogdonanovic's contract fits perfectly to create space when paul leaves and Huerter has 2 years left on his rookie deal.

Hunter/Reddish

3 years left on rookie deals.

Washington/Faried/Bertans/Bazley

Washington has 3 years left on a rookie deal. Faried is signed to the mid-level for 3 years at $10 million a year with the third year being a team option. Bertans is on a minumum and Bazley is a first round draft pick in his second year so we can get rid of him after this year.

Adams/Zeller

Signed to three year extensions at reduced salaries.
brimick87

2nd Season Recap

Postby brimick87 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:39 pm

We went 42-40 and missed the playoffs.

As far as that AD/Drummond front court? Well, Lebron went down with an ACL tear 24 games into the season and they still cruised there way to a title. Drummond will be on the market this year and maybe we'll be able to take a stab at him with the mid level, but I'm not going to have a very high mid level exception and I'm sure he'll be looking for a long-term deal. As the Lakers don't have his Bird Rights his landing spot. The cap is about $117 million and the Lakers have about $80 million committed to Lebron/AD, so they have decisions to make.
brimick87

Owner Phone Call

Postby brimick87 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:46 pm

Ownership was pleased about me sticking to the budgets but upset I didn't make the playoffs or provide the 4 star player they want. My job security is 60%

We have a young team so we should be able to cross the playoff hurdle next season. I don't think we'll be able to meet the player budget this year. But once Paul, Bogdonavic, and Faried's contracts are up at the end of the year that's going to free up about $70 million. So as long as I don't get fired we shouldn't have issues with player budgets next year. Washington is on the cusp of becoming a 4 star player. And the staff budget I'll manage somehow.
brimick87

2021 Offseason Preview

Postby brimick87 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:59 pm

I have 10 players under contract going into the offseason and I need to reevaluate the team mostly with an eye on mantaining cap flexibility next offseason..

CP3/SHA

CP3's massive contract is finally expiring but he's not good enough to justify a $44 million salary anymore. We'll renounce him after the season.

SHA has one year left on a rookie contract and I plan on offering him a QO and seeing how is RFA plays out.

Bogdonovic/Huerter

Bogdanovic has a team option for the season after the coming one, but I plan on turning it down. It's for $16 million. So like Paul's he's an expiring now.

Huerter has a year left on a rookie contract and we're likely going the RFA route here too.

Hunter/Reddish

Both have two years left on rookie deals.

Washington/Faried

Washington has two years left on his rookie deal.

Faried is owed $10 million this year with a team option for another season. I plan on turning that down.

Adams/Zeller

Adams is now on a 3 year contract worth about $65 million. He took a fairly steep pay cut and I think this is good value.

Zeller is on a 3 year contract worth about $40 million. This may be a bad contract but for right now I want him as Adams backup. He also took a pay cut, so I think I got decent value here. I kinda wish I hadn't done it as he didn't end up contributing much last season and he got that contract before the start of the season. But he's still a decent role player and this situation could be worse. I may even be able to trade him.
brimick87

Re: Oklahoma City Redux - No "Process" Here-Win NOW!

Postby brimick87 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:19 pm

I signed Bertans/Bradley/Green/Bjelica to league minumum deals to fill out the roster. We also stay under budget this way.
brimick87

Postby brimick87 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:23 pm

Quick staff update and it's the last one for a couple of season since I'm stuck with these guys.

Earl Watson - 4 years left on his contract

Randy Wittman - 5 years left on his contract, if I'm still around here in another 4 years he'll get to coach the team for a season.

Rick Brunson - 4 years left on his contract.

Marc Bracey - 5 years left on his contract. A regen who's plus 70 in player evaluation.
brimick87

Postby brimick87 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:25 pm

I should note I offered Drummond the 4 year - 40 million dollar mid-level exception and he turned it down to sign with Golden State for 3 years - 18 million. Yes, I'm extremely frustrated about this.
brimick87

Postby brimick87 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:55 pm

We went 37-45 and Memphis won the championship.

Ownership had the same concerns as normal and now my job security is at 40%. But I'll have no trouble meeting staff or player budgets. Washington SHOULD finally develop into a 4 star player or maybe I can get one with my cap space. And we really should be able to get back into the playoffs. So I'm not going to be hugely concerned here unless I miss the playoffs AND don't have a 4 star player.
brimick87

Postby Tim Moungey » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:49 am

Hope you're able to overcome the hiccups you're having. Not a lot of winning now so far. :)
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Previous

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball Dynasty Reports