Recruiting Strategies: Looking for Advice

Re: Recruiting Strategies: Looking for Advice

Postby darrellet86 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:43 pm

stiets1118 wrote:Personally, I start by looking at my position needs, then look at my home state to fill those. Depending on the program I'm using, I will click the recommend targets tab. Between my Coastal Carolina dynasty, which got me hired in Oregon, I can reach for big name recruits with Oregon. I typically interview guys and see if they have specific traits that I look for, like zone corners or athletic blockers. After interviewing around 20-30, I top out points and then dig in with scout points. I also watch who else is recruiting them and look for guys not being recruited by anyone, and after a few weeks I try to fill out my roster the un-recruited guys that have higher potential. Obviously, coastal carolina I had to go with 2 star guys and reach for 3 stars.

Another issue for me with Wyoming is the lack of scout points because my salaries have been so high. The coaches are helping though as we are 9-1 and looking at a G5 bowl appearance due to my smashmouth ground game.
darrellet86

Postby stiets1118 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:04 pm

darrellet86 wrote:
stiets1118 wrote:Personally, I start by looking at my position needs, then look at my home state to fill those. Depending on the program I'm using, I will click the recommend targets tab. Between my Coastal Carolina dynasty, which got me hired in Oregon, I can reach for big name recruits with Oregon. I typically interview guys and see if they have specific traits that I look for, like zone corners or athletic blockers. After interviewing around 20-30, I top out points and then dig in with scout points. I also watch who else is recruiting them and look for guys not being recruited by anyone, and after a few weeks I try to fill out my roster the un-recruited guys that have higher potential. Obviously, coastal carolina I had to go with 2 star guys and reach for 3 stars.

Another issue for me with Wyoming is the lack of scout points because my salaries have been so high. The coaches are helping though as we are 9-1 and looking at a G5 bowl appearance due to my smashmouth ground game.

impressive :eek: :)
stiets1118

Postby 23Zone » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:24 pm

I am coaching at Cincinnati and I do the same as this... "I start by looking at my position needs, then look at my home state to fill those. Depending on the program I'm using, I will click the recommend targets tab.... then go to the ones no one else is recruiting... etc." It works really well at UC since the DDSCF gods decided UC starts as prestige 76. I am getting top 20 or 30 classes each year which never happens at UC (I am an alum so I know this... ) but its fun.

One thing I noticed that might make recruiting easier on the eyes and maybe the brain that I wanted to see if anyone else noticed. When looking at a recruits card all of the words just overwhelm me... Great, Good, Remarkable, Fine, Exceptional, etc... I printed out the game guide list of them... there are 22... in order so I could try to keep straight what is better... good or fine, etc. Could there be an option to turn those into numbers? where 1 is bad and 22 is best? and maybe color code them or something to give us a better quick idea. Also if they are numbers maybe the game could add them up so we could get an idea who we scouted as the overall best player we might be considering at a position.
23Zone

Postby b1gd51 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:52 pm

I have some more questions if anyone can help:

1. When you click on a recruit's name and bring up his player card, you have the talking point allocations underneath the recruit's interest bar on the right side. What do the Academics and Organization talking points refer to? I'm assuming that Organization is referring to school prestige? I'm not seeing anything relating to Academics in the recruit's interest, though

Also, what do the green numbers beside the talking points stand for and why are they important? I've read through the guides and haven't been able to find anything...

2. Does anyone have a rule of thumb of when to cut bait from prospects and moving on?

Like I'll see a guy w/ a 30-something interest in my school and feel the need to continue recruiting him in hopes his interest we'll jump up, but I'm in Week 5 now w/ zero commits and starting to panic a little. On one hand, I don't want to cut bait too early and miss out on a prospect I could've had, but on the other hand, I don't want to keep wasting resources on ones I have no chance at when I can be putting those resources into others.
b1gd51

Postby AKH » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:42 pm

b1gd51 wrote:I have some more questions if anyone can help:

1. When you click on a recruit's name and bring up his player card, you have the talking point allocations underneath the recruit's interest bar on the right side. What do the Academics and Organization talking points refer to? I'm assuming that Organization is referring to school prestige? I'm not seeing anything relating to Academics in the recruit's interest, though

Also, what do the green numbers beside the talking points stand for and why are they important? I've read through the guides and haven't been able to find anything...

viewtopic.php?f=314&t=25516&p=214362#p214362

b1gd51 wrote:2. Does anyone have a rule of thumb of when to cut bait from prospects and moving on?

Like I'll see a guy w/ a 30-something interest in my school and feel the need to continue recruiting him in hopes his interest we'll jump up, but I'm in Week 5 now w/ zero commits and starting to panic a little. On one hand, I don't want to cut bait too early and miss out on a prospect I could've had, but on the other hand, I don't want to keep wasting resources on ones I have no chance at when I can be putting those resources into others.

Rule of thumb is that if you dont see anyone else on him stick with him. Other than that its about assessing his interest and the competition.
AKH

Postby b1gd51 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:46 pm

'Preciate it, AKH!
b1gd51

Postby zac » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:37 pm

Do recruits take into account the play style of teams? Say you're a team that is a smashmouth, heavy run team. Will you have better success receiving interest from running backs recruits but maybe less interest from QBs?
zac

Postby Flair1239 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:15 pm

I assess my needs first. Which the first year seems to be a challenge as the generated rosters are sometimes kind of funky. On my current team first year there are 11 QBs on the roster and 4 of the 5 WRs are seniors.

Anyway, I scout off the recommended targets. If I decide I need 2 RBs, I will scout 4. I allocate one scouting point just to get an idea of their make up. If they hit the traits I want then I interview and allocate recruiting points. If don’t find anyone on the first pass, then I scout 4 more. I do this for every position. As I get my targets solidified I attempt to max out the recruiting points and finish scouting.

For my current team this is a 4 week process before I am zeroed in on everyone. Then I start hunting scouting for teachers who are not being courted by anyone.

My general philosophy is I would rather have a 2 star guy who has the traits I want rather than a random three star. So I don’t sweat losing a guy by trying to get my targets right. If the CPU locks In on someone and I can’t gain traction, then on to the next.

As I get caught up on interviews I may come off a couple guys. I prefer high work ethic guys or at the minimum guys with a pleasant disposition.
Flair1239

Postby AKH » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:22 am

stickied this, due to public interest.
AKH

Postby MattP598 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:56 pm

There is a way to gauge a recruit's interest before the first week when you are adding them to the board. It's subject to change depending on what schools start recruiting them though. However when you add them to your board go ahead and put 10 points on the recruit then open their profile back up and you will see their interest bar has probably moved some. Occasionally it will shoot all the way up. If it doesn't move at all its a good idea to ignore that recruit and move on to someone else. Now it could shoot all the way up then after the first week you look at it and the guy's interest in you is still at like 10 or whatever....well in that situation what has happened is higher prestige schools than you are recruiting them. The more that do the less likely they are to be interested in you. Also if there are like 5 schools going after a recruit your initial interest is more than likely going to be lower because it's split over 5 schools so you might need to stick with that recruit if it is schools you are in similar prestige too. What I do, especially offline playing single player(not an online league), is after each week I comb over the list and you will see several highly rated players that still have none listed. I jump on those guys. It's possible to get them at that point however it's also possible a bigger school will come along week 8 or something and steal them from you. It's worth the risk in my opinion. I ALWAYS give a recruit 10 points each week except for if i have remaining points over i will put them into a prospect no one else is recruiting or into backup prospects in case I miss on a recruit. The reason is the CPU always puts 10 points into recruits. So if you are putting 8 or something they are going to win that battle more than likely. The recruits wants kinda help in judging who to target but in my experience it's not as important as prestige and who your battling against. For instance that recruit might be a mile down the road from your school and his biggest want is location, well say you are a mid 70's prestige school and alabama comes along you can kiss them goodbye. IMO prestige is given too much weight in the game really but anyways yea you can look at his wants but definitely don't let that be the deciding factor. Also it's entirely possible you could be recruiting a guy for weeks and him have only say like 50 interest in you, stay on him, especially if it's someone you have been recruiting for awhile because he may commit even at 50 interest at anytime out of the blue. Don't worry so much about filling out all of your scholarships. Say you have 23 available it's perfectly fine to sign say 20. With the transfer system now there is a good chance you can pick up 3. Even if you don't those 3 missing players aren't really going to affect you that much the following season. They will be filled in with lesser players that your coaches sign randomly but you can always cut them, but it's not a big deal really in that situation. I'm not going to say much on the whole talking points thing because I'm still trying to figure it out myself, but that's just from my experience from playing 18 and 19.

Oh I forgot to mention traits. If you see a player that has a trait listed after visiting him then you want to target those guys over guys who don't have one listed. There are LOTS of really good 3 star players out there if you know what to look for..... For instance for offensive lineman strength is VERY important. Pretty much everyone else on the field except maybe QB's speed is huge. Agility is very important for RBs, likewise hands for WRs..... Arm rating and intelligence trump accuracy for QB's imo. That's different than every college football game ive ever played but it seems to be the case with this one in my experience. Sim some seasons in sandbox mode for testing and take a look at stats and ratings and you will start to figure out who you should be targeting in recruiting.

Also look for coaches with a high recruiting skill, obviously, but also with a high charisma skill. High charisma coaches will help you in recruiting. As far as I know recruits don't care about the coaches offensive and defensive philosophies.

Use your recruiting overview chart. You will see it when you choose targets and in the drop down box on which recruits you want to view out of your targets. It will tell you how many offers a recruit has regardless of who is listed in his interests. You maybe recruiting a guy that isn't showing you any interest and instead you see Ohio St and Michigan listed, well it maybe a situation where neither of those schools have offered him a scholarship. Now it won't tell you which schools have offered just a number but most of the time you can figure it out.
https://t.me/pump_upp
MattP598

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Football 2020 General Discussion