College football defense

College football defense

Postby RHAMEL » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:40 am

Where are some good references for learning the strengths and weaknesses of different defensive formations and alignments, and learning terminology? I'm a casual fan, been watching football for 40 years but I've never dove deep into recognizing coverages or knowing which ones work best in which situations.

I know basic terminology, but some of it I don't. For example 4-3 Under Trail Mix. I know that's 4 lineman and 3 LB's and I'm pretty sure the Under refers to how the lineman line up, but I don't know what Trail Mix is. More importantly, I don't know really what the strengths and weaknesses are.

Also, how are blitzes handled in the game? Is it just different terminology within the play calls, or is it something that's handled in gameplanning or coach style?

I guess what I'm looking for is to spark a discussion on defensive strategy, both in-game and game-planning. Or maybe find a real good primer on the subject.
RHAMEL

Re: College football defense

Postby prorta » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:19 pm

I just bought the game yesterday, so I might not be the best person to answer your question. But, I did see some schemes within the Staff menu where you have the option to run some plays depending on play. For example, 3rd and short, you can set a Blitz for "x" % of the time. Depends who you have running your defense. (Head coach or defensive coach). You can start looking around in there and see if that helps you.
prorta

Postby AKH » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:28 am

trail technique is basically a kind of man coverage, the 'mix' part just means that more than one player does it (and supplies a nice pun).

For football fundamentals check maybe https://operations.nfl.com/football-101/ (or one of the million other guides online).

in this game, the Over/Under only affects linebackers, meaning theyve shifted to one side or the other.

wrt strengths and weaknesses its a very fluid matter, since so much depends o rosters. But some rules of thumb are that the more defensivelinemen and linebackers are on the field the better you are against the run (so 34, 43, 52 for that).

For coverages, ROUGHLY you want fast agile guys if youre playing man and intelligent guys if youre playing zone (but there is a lot of nuance). Zone is also somewhat better against the run because the players are backpedaling facing the offense and can therefore react faster to run plays.

Blitzing is controlled by the seed as prorta mentions - but beware that its not a percentage, but a seed (so 100 wont mean you blitz every play). If you want full control of blitzing you can find your plays.xml and copy all the blitzplays up into the default defense playbook, then they will become available to add into custom playbooks.

There are a bunch of online leagues that have primers and tips & tricks for the game, I cant dig them out right now, but im sure someone can supply them.
AKH

Postby AKH » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:06 am

AKH

Return to DDS: College Football 2020 General Discussion