There are differences In pro and college penalties

There are differences In pro and college penalties

Postby Boomer » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:33 am

I'm finding it harder and harder to believe that you guys have anyone on staff that knows OR is willing to learn the differences in the college football game and the pro football game in real life! As I was playing CF20 recently and looking at my halftime stats, I noticed that my penalty yardage didn't make sense. I went to the play-by-play and found that I had a 40 yd. pass interference call. I was very frustrated and looked back at my original post about the basic rules.

The response to that was that the pro logic was being addressed for the next issue (PF21 I suppose) and would "trickle down" to CF21. Guys the rules of college football and pro football are different. One of the glaring differences is pass interference!! In the pros it is a "spot" foul---wherever it happened is where the first down is (if accepted). If it's caught for the same or more yards, it would NOT be accepted! However, in the college game it is a "spot" foul ONLY IF less than 15 yards; but a 15 YARD PENALTY if more than 15 yards. There are NO penalties for more than 15 yards in college football!!

The bottom line is this!! If you leave whoever is in charge of penalties for the two games (college and pro) to remain in the position, I venture to say "you won't make it to being the best on the market"!
The more I see makes me doubt if I will be willing to throw good money after bad in the future!

Thanks again!! I await the changes that HAVE TO BE MADE!!
Boomer

Re: There are differences In pro and college penalties

Postby brooks_piggott » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:23 pm

I'll relay this on to our penalty department.
brooks_piggott

Postby Boomer » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:39 pm

I'm trying not to lose my cool with you guys! Brooks, you are the very one that replied to a previous post of mine saying that YOU "did revisit this in a past patch, but obviously must have missed something."

The quote was from Aug 5, 2020! Now, a month later you're going to relay to your penalty department. I'm really losing confidence.

You've talked about the window to bring these things to your attention! The way I see it, Wolverine studios is the one with the $$$$ generated from the sales of your games! I don't play nor do I think about college football during golf season! I'm playing golf! Wolverine Studios has football, basketball, & golf games. Don't you want us playing those games. It's your responsibility (in my opinion) to be sure these details are taken care of! For a company that was founded in 2006 and the lead developer being you (Brooks Piggott) being there since 2015, I (the consumer) should expect a top quality game with very few errors!
Boomer

Postby brooks_piggott » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:04 pm

Sorry, it was a joke, as we are only a small team of 2 developers and 1 graphic designer (and all of us are part time and split between multiple games). Obviously we don't have the resources to address every issue that the games have. We focus on different parts of the games each iteration, and unfortunately the penalty system hasn't been updated in a while to the level of the rest of the game. I captured your feedback so we can take a look at it in PF21 (which is in First Access now for people to give feedback on) and we'll take another look in CF21. That's the best I can offer right now.
brooks_piggott

Postby Boomer » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:12 pm

The whole issue is that an "update" is not what's needed. When you are updating something that is flawed to begin with, what do you expect to get? The entire penalty system needs to be trashed and a NEW system using the correct rules(including accepting or declining penalties) needs to be installed! I cannot say enough how much a part of the core game of football the penalty system is! If you don't believe me, why don't you contact your local college coach and ask. For that matter contact several (with today's technology it shouldn't be hard).

If you go in and try to correct a flawed system, you'll still be "trying" 10 yrs from now! I wanna think that two guys that have built what's here can see that and do what is RIGHT for the end users! We're counting on developer's to be spot on with the basics.
Boomer

Postby TheRivals40 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:18 pm

Boomer wrote:The whole issue is that an "update" is not what's needed. When you are updating something that is flawed to begin with, what do you expect to get? The entire penalty system needs to be trashed and a NEW system using the correct rules(including accepting or declining penalties) needs to be installed! I cannot say enough how much a part of the core game of football the penalty system is! If you don't believe me, why don't you contact your local college coach and ask. For that matter contact several (with today's technology it shouldn't be hard).

If you go in and try to correct a flawed system, you'll still be "trying" 10 yrs from now! I wanna think that two guys that have built what's here can see that and do what is RIGHT for the end users! We're counting on developer's to be spot on with the basics.

They got a few distances wrong so the entire system has to be re-made? How does this make any sense
NOppenheimer
TheRivals40

Postby Boomer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:01 pm

Ask a college coach "if getting a few distances wrong" matter and listen to him come totally unglued! First of all, there are "major" differences in pro & college penalties. Trying to just correct the pro game and let that correct the college game is ludicrous. Secondly, there are times because of the situation that a penalty may need to be declined to put the opponent in a precarious situation and other times accepted(and I'm talking about the exact same penalty) {thus the need to accept/decline penalties}. Accepting and declining penalties is a core part of the game of football and needs to be a part of ANY college football game that sees itself as a relevant SIMULATION of college football!
If all you want to reach is a group of people that probably don't even watch or keep up with the real game of college football, then a few wrong distances don't matter. But, if you want to reach the true college football fans; then the issues that I have raised need to be addressed.
I again say that I "anxiously await to see if you want to be considered a serious simulation of college football" or just a serious "money grab" company of which there are many.
Boomer

Postby Boomer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Games are won or lost every week of the college football season because of a right OR wrong decision on accepting or declining a penalty! I want the vital part of accepting/declining penalties to be my decision NOT automatically done by a computer.
Boomer

Return to DDS: College Football 2020 General Discussion