Well, that proceeded normally

Well, that proceeded normally

Postby emperorsnapper » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:27 pm

This is the 1st game of my 3rd season with my team. In our first 2 years, we went 29-1 and won two national titles. In the middle of the 2nd season, I ditched my normal, ineffective defense, and started playing nothing but heavy blitzes with man-to-man coverage. It results in stuff like this -

(since the board will not allow me to post pictures as the "attachment quote has been reached" I will just have to list some highlights)

Final score: Cincinnati 98, Miami 0.

Yards: 855 to 63
Rushing: 429 on 29 carries; 23 on 52 carries
Passing: 426 on 18 attempts; 40 on 9 attempts
Sacks: 18 to 1
Tackles for Loss: 13 to 0

31 of 61 plays run by Miami resulted in a loss. 1 of 47 by Cincinnati. Overall Miami averaged just over 1 yard per play and once even returned a kick to the Cincinnati 25 and wound up punting from the Cincinnati 38. Cincinnati's first play from scrimmage was a 66-yard TD run. Had they simply punted on every subsequent possession, they would have outgained Miami on the day with 1 offensive play run. It was one of 6 50+ yard TD scores, including 2 each greater than Miami's entire haul for the afternoon.

On the bright side, Miami won the time of possession battle, 30:33 to 29:27.

Mind you, Miami is Not Good, but this same strategy resulted in a 56-14 win over an undefeated, #1 Ohio State to end the prior season. All of this comes from running a small group of offensive plays (just 6 running plays from 2 formations - really 3 running plays run left & right, plus about 8-10 passing plays run out of a single formation) and an even smaller amount of defensive plays - 10 custom blitzes run out of 3 formations - really just 3 different sort of blitzes, each done from a 3-4, 4-3, and 3-3-5.
emperorsnapper

Return to DDS: College Football 2020 General Discussion