Fouls?

Fouls?

Postby LaStarza » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:26 pm

I'm very interested in this game and have been playing the demo. One thing I have found is that there seems to be way too
many fouls in just about every game I have watched. There have been a couple of times when there have been almost as many
points scored by a team from free throws as from FGs made. In one game one of the teams had 27 personal fouls. Is anyone
else seeing this?

Thanks!
LaStarza

Re: Fouls?

Postby PointGuard » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:59 pm

At times I feel like there are too many fouls and free throws. But when I really think about specific games, while there are those where there are a lot of fouls and free throw attemptss, there are also games when there are few fouls and few free throws and a greater number of games somewhere in the middle.

I checked the NCAA stats for all 353 teams in 2019 and here's what I found for what occurred in real life:

FT attempts/game: The range was from 12.3/game to 26.4/game with median being 18.9/game
Fouls/game: The range was from 12.4/game to 23.3/game with median being 17.5/game

Since I just finished a complete season with my most current DDSCB2020 association, I went to the League Leaders screen and looked at the complete list of teams and found the following to be the case:

FT attempts/game a range from 12.2/game to 27.3/game with median being 18.7/game (So VERY similar to what occurred in real life this past season)
Fouls/game: The team stats don't provide this. But given the FTA/game were close to real life, my expectation was that fouls/game was also similar between real life and DDSCB. To check further, I went to my team, totaled up fouls and divided by the number of games my team played and found that my team made 17.5 fouls/game. I then randomly selected 9 other teams (some low prestige, some mid majors, and some high prestige programs) and here's what I found:

Team #2: 18.0 fouls/game
Team #3: 10.3 fouls/game
Team #4: 12.1 fouls/game
Team #5: 11.4 fouls/game
Team #6: 15.2 fouls/game
Team #7: 18.5 fouls/game
Team #8: 17.1 fouls/game
Team #9: 17.3 fouls/game
Team 10: 16.1 fouls/game

So pretty much within the range of real life.

I think that what happens is that we tend to be bothered by and remember the games in which there are a lot of fouls and free throw attempts....and NOT remember what occurred related to fouls/free throws in the games where there are few or an average amount of fouls and free throw attempts.

Over the years, as a beta-tester, I've analyzed stats and found DDSCB to be extremely close to real life for most all categories (including fouls and free throw attempts).

But it still pisses me off when my team plays a game in which they foul too much and give away a lot of points at the FT line. :rolleyes:
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby LaStarza » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:31 pm

PointGuard wrote:At times I feel like there are too many fouls and free throws. But when I really think about specific games, while there are those where there are a lot of fouls and free throw attemptss, there are also games when there are few fouls and few free throws and a greater number of games somewhere in the middle.

I checked the NCAA stats for all 353 teams in 2019 and here's what I found for what occurred in real life:

FT attempts/game: The range was from 12.3/game to 26.4/game with median being 18.9/game
Fouls/game: The range was from 12.4/game to 23.3/game with median being 17.5/game

Since I just finished a complete season with my most current DDSCB2020 association, I went to the League Leaders screen and looked at the complete list of teams and found the following to be the case:

FT attempts/game a range from 12.2/game to 27.3/game with median being 18.7/game (So VERY similar to what occurred in real life this past season)
Fouls/game: The team stats don't provide this. But given the FTA/game were close to real life, my expectation was that fouls/game was also similar between real life and DDSCB. To check further, I went to my team, totaled up fouls and divided by the number of games my team played and found that my team made 17.5 fouls/game. I then randomly selected 9 other teams (some low prestige, some mid majors, and some high prestige programs) and here's what I found:

Team #2: 18.0 fouls/game
Team #3: 10.3 fouls/game
Team #4: 12.1 fouls/game
Team #5: 11.4 fouls/game
Team #6: 15.2 fouls/game
Team #7: 18.5 fouls/game
Team #8: 17.1 fouls/game
Team #9: 17.3 fouls/game
Team 10: 16.1 fouls/game

So pretty much within the range of real life.

I think that what happens is that we tend to be bothered by and remember the games in which there are a lot of fouls and free throw attempts....and NOT remember what occurred related to fouls/free throws in the games where there are few or an average amount of fouls and free throw attempts.

Over the years, as a beta-tester, I've analyzed stats and found DDSCB to be extremely close to real life for most all categories (including fouls and free throw attempts).

But it still pisses me off when my team plays a game in which they foul too much and give away a lot of points at the FT line. :rolleyes:

I really appreciate your thorough response! Do you think there is a possibility that things play out differently in games that are played or watched verses games that are simmed? I watched several games and in every single one of them it was almost unbearable to watch... seemed like there was a defensive foul called every other time down the floor. I should have taken a screen shot or something, but in one game there were more points scored from free throws than from field goals made. I don't think I've ever seen that before in real life.

But anyway... I do remember you from here a long time ago and it always seemed like you know what you're talking about... and I doubt you would hang around so long if it wasn't a good game. Do you play out and watch or coach your team's games? Or do you only sim them?

Thanks again!
LaStarza

Postby PointGuard » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:18 am

I don't believe there is an appreciable difference in the stats for associations that are simmed and those in which the games are played out by the human coach. I've done some of the statistical analyses related to team and player stats where I simmed the entire season and some where I played out the season...no significant differences that I noted.

Occasionally it seems there are short periods of a game in which there are extremely frequent fouls. I haven't noticed it regularly though.

With regard to how I play the game normally...I do the recruiting (don't skip summer) and play out the games. I prefer that because I get to "know" my players better than way.

I have simmed games and season mainly when I'm doing beta-testing and when I've checked stats. I also typically sim games when I run a tournament using Tournament Maker so that I don't influence game outcomes.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:55 am

Wondering what you have your defense set at and what kind of D you play. Man to man tends to result in more fouls. I use a combination of man to man and zone (60% man to man). And I set my D at 6, usually; if I'm playing out the game I will increase the defensive setting if the opponent is scoring too easily, especially late in the game. I still get lots of fouls in some games but not in all, and my D tends to be pretty successful at those settings. Also, in recruiting I don't touch players with a rating of F on Defense and try to avoid players with a rating of D. Decent and good defenders foul less.
Wayne23

Postby ronald mund » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:21 am

At times there are a lot, but like others have said I have games where there are few. I think it adds a realistic wrinkle to the game. I look at it as different refs doing different games. Some refs are whistle-happy while others let them play.
ronald mund

Postby PointGuard » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:42 pm

Correct! And sometimes play is rougher and more aggressive in some games than others...defense tighter, one thing leads to another, etc.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2020 General Discussion