Preseason Top 25

Preseason Top 25

Postby ECHood » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:30 am

I realize this is a minor minor thing but I was wondering how the Preseason top 25 is selected. I've been coaching South Carolina, taking them over when they were low and building them up after some strong recruits came in after the first year. We made the NCAA Tournament with a somewhat surprising 26-8 final record and a trip to the Sweet 16. Ranked #23 at the end. The next year - unranked in the top 25 despite most of our best players returning. The team goes 28-10 and makes the Final Four (a bit of a surprise run; I think we were a 4 seed) and was again ranked #23 with a group of strong sophomores that featured a few 4 star players and good depth. None went pro, yet no preseason top 25 again the next year. We ended up unranked at 21-11, so it was a disappointing year, but the year after that, the seniors in this first strong recruiting class go 34-3 and are ranked #3 in the nation. A good class was coming in plus a very good transfer and returning several good players - yet no preseason Top 25 again. The team goes 32-5, earns a No. 1 seed in the tournament and goes to the Final Four with a balanced team of good young players. Entire starting 5 coming back, only losing a good backup point guard. No preseason Top 25. In the last 3 or 4 seasons, as well, we were picked higher in the preseason SEC poll than several teams that were ranked.

Is this a glitch? At some point we couldn't have been surprising any voters with the seasons we were having.
ECHood

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2020 General Discussion