Fast break vs crash boards?

Fast break vs crash boards?

Postby CJacksonCowart » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:11 am

Hey y'all,

Long-time community member, first-time poster. Was wondering what your experience has been with the relationship between fast-break points and the "crash boards" sliders and if perhaps I'm missing a key element here.

In my games, the only time I'll ever score a fast-break bucket is off a turnover...which essentially renders the "defensive crash boards" setting moot, since if I'm not scoring FB points off that, why allow the rebounds? Same for the other side; I'm only allowing FB points off turnovers or a broken press, from what I can tell, so there's no reason NOT to hit the offensive boards with a vengeance.

Perhaps I'm not following the PxP close enough to catch the "natural" fast-break opportunities, but is this everyone else's experience as well? Or is there another factor I may not be considering as it relates to generating / preventing FB points?
CJacksonCowart

Re: Fast break vs crash boards?

Postby CoachC » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:40 am

My experience is that if you are able to back off on defensive rebounding you will get more opportunities for quick good shots in transition, but it has nothing to do with breakaways. If you do likewise on offensive rebounding you get back quickly to stop those opportunities by the opposition. I always start the game crashing both boards at 10, and only ease back if I'm over the 75/25 break-even point at either end. It does seem to pay off though if you are rebounding well. Not break-aways, but quicker high-percentage shots in transition. You will see it in higher shooting percentages. I never sacrifice rebounding for it though. I like to try to hit at least that break-even mark at both ends.

2 or 3 versions ago Gary also told us that things had been tweaked so that crashing the boards would lead to more fouls as well, but to be honest, I've never really seen it.
CoachC
DDS:CB Support Squad

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2020 General Discussion