Suggestion List for DDSCB2021

Re: Suggestion List for DDSCB2021

Postby RandyR17 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:31 pm

On fouls and other infractions

1. I noticed that the only occurrence of offensive fouls are charging fouls. How about fouls because of illegal screens / picks? Factors that can affect the probability of setting an illegal pick would be the player's (screener) basketball IQ, the type of offense being run (e.g. during pick and roll)

2. Occurrence of loose ball fouls? Especially after getting a rebound

3. I haven't paid attention if a technical foul committed by a player is added to his personal fouls. In the NBA, a tech is not counted as a personal foul. In FIBA international, it is counted. Not sure about NCAA (I believe a tech is counted towards both personal and team fouls, but I am not 100% sure)

4. Occurrence of goaltending / basket interference. Factors that affect occurrence would be basketball IQ of the defensive player, defensive ability of the defensive player, and type of shot taken by the opposing player. I suppose basket interference will occur slightly more on shots taken near the basket, as compared to jump shots

5. Occurrence of held ball (used to be "jump ball") , and as such the possession arrow may become a crucial element esp on close games

I will think of more :)
RandyR17

Postby PointGuard » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:16 pm

Added
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby RandyR17 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:28 pm

On team rankings

1. Use of NET ranking system instead of RPI (or retain the RPI and add NET)

The use of NET started in 2018-19 season. It was announced recently that a modified NET rating will be used starting the 2020-21 season. Several factors were dropped in the new NET system, including margin of victory.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-05-11/di-mens-basketball-committee-announces-change-net-2020-21

Only 2 factors remain in determining the new NET ranking, so this significantly simplifies the computation / algorithm
a. Team Value Index (TVI). Sort of like RPI, but it factors in location (home, away, neutral)
b. Adjusted Net Efficiency. Similar to 'Net Rating' that you see in the Insights tab, but it factors in SOS (strength of schedule) and location

2. Also in the Teams page ('Dashboard'), include details of W-L records per 'quadrant'. Each quadrant divides all your games into 4 categories, depending on your opponent's NET rating, and location

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353

I understand the W-L records on each quadrant is a big factor in determining the seedings for the NCAA tournament

3. A summary of the team's 'good wins' and 'bad losses'

A win in Quadrant 1 is considered a 'good win', while a loss in Quadrants 3 /4 is considered a 'bad loss'
RandyR17

Postby PointGuard » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:22 pm

Added.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:58 am

I believe that in college hoops a player can be red shirted until about the 8th game of the season. That would be a nice addition.
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:01 pm

Wayne, I don't believe that is the case. Here's what I found online:

For an athlete to receive a standard redshirt, the NCAA requires that player not be involved in any competition for the year he is redshirted. Any amount of competition time, even 1 minute on a basketball court during a regular season game, for example, counts as a season of eligibility.
As you know, in football, a player can participate in as many as four games in a season and still be redshirt. That is not the case in basketball. In basketball, to be a non-medical redshirt, a player can not participate in any games at all.

If that's been changed and you can find a reference, let me know.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:04 pm

New rule then. It wasn't like that in the past.
Wayne23

Postby ShamWow? » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:57 am

A few suggestions after a few months of playing...

1) Definitely need more options for interactions with players, particularly in cases where a player continually calls you out on supposedly picking on them in practices and the like. I just ignore those at this point, as there doesn't seem to be an appropriate response to it.

2) Second to John Bee-Line's suggestion to change the creation of season goals. Seems like they're currently based on the past season more than anything, but should probably focus more on the roster for the upcoming season (Things like not expecting a final four after half of your guys from a final four team just graduated, and not expecting a five star recruit when you don't have any open scholarships). On the note of the second example, I've noticed recognition for completing your recruiting goals seems to cut off before recruiting is over. I've signed four star recruits (with that as a season goal) when the roster spot became available following a draft declaration, yet the goal was flagged as failed.

3) On recruiting, this may be a bug, but the parent control bar seems pretty inconsistent. Usually I see it go into the low red zone when I call and ask about parents, and am told they're particularly strict, and it does the same when they tell an assistant that a particular factor will/won't decide where the recruit goes... But the next week, the bar goes back to zero, unless one of those actions is repeated. If that could be more consistently gauged, it would probably be helpful in the recruiting process.

4) Limiting the total number of campus visits a recruit can take, like in real life where the limit of official visits is five. Also, while I'm not sure on how implementation may work out, it could be interesting to be able to invite a recruit for an unofficial visit, which would likely be most often used by those from a wealthier family.

5) In addition to the idea of per-game career stats, adding player career wins and win percentage, as opposed to only the number of games they played in, as it would be more indicative of program success during their attendance, and perhaps their impact on the program. Also, I wanna know who my save file's Przemek Karnowski is. :P

6) Remove hard limit on number of scholarships you can offer. Hoops Dynasty has an effective model on this front, where you may offer as many scholarships as you'd like, but any of those offers may result in a commitment, and once your available spaces are filled, the other offers are automatically revoked (though perhaps don't penalize built up recruiting credit for offers automatically revoked).

7) If the hard limit on scholarship offers isn't lifted, at least making the AI more intelligent, so it can budget for roster space opening up when players declare for the draft.

8) Projections for the NBA draft updated throughout the season, even without linking to a DDSPB file would be fantastic for a better look at who will and won't leave early, particularly if we also get a gauge of tendency toward declaring before graduation for players.

9) As far as what Wayne was saying about redshirts just above... While a player can't have a redshirt year if they've touched the court, I'm not sure whether the game permits giving a redshirt for a player who hasn't seen any time a few games into the season. If not, then I'd imagine it wouldn't be too huge of an adjustment to allow redshirts to be applied after the start of the season, so long as the player hasn't contributed during games.
ShamWow?

Postby PointGuard » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:49 am

Added.

FYI for everyone: We're now up to 209 suggestions! I'm hoping Gary doesn't fall asleep after reading the first hundred. :p
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby drummerJ99 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:02 am

Late to the party on this wishlist but one thing I'd love is a month graphical view of the schedule. As someone who likes to track my Dynasty week by week over at OS, just having date's is more time consuming trying to figure out where each game falls week by week. It's easy with football, only one game a week. LOL
Please give us a light skin UI option for all games. A Clone of the 2021 themes would be perfect!
drummerJ99

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2020 General Discussion