Now the Game has me thinking

Now the Game has me thinking

Postby blazertaz13 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:30 pm

Finished year two at Hawaii - finished 21 - 13, runner up in the CBI losing to LSU. Finished third in the Big West (media prediction of 7th). Now I am on to the coaching jobs available phase of the game.

Since I did well enough to meet 3 out of 4 goals, I figured I would still be at Hawai'i with 2 more years to go. So I take a look at the available head coaching jobs and the Colorado State job is open (just 20 minutes from my home). It would be a step up as they are in the Mountain West, so I am tempted. On a side note, there are two Pac 12 jobs open (Colorado and Utah) and a few Big 10 openings (Nebraska, Northwester and Rutgers), along with one ACC job (Wake Forest, who we beat this year). These jobs have not grabbed me as the Pac 12 job I want is Oregon State.

So now I have to stop playing for a night or two and think about it. I know sad that a game will now take over my nights thinking.

So do I stay at Hawai'i or do I move on to CSU? Should I really be looking at the others listed above? I don't have any issues staying at Hawai'i as in my mind I would love to be there IRL. :-)

Advice appreciated.
blazertaz13

Re: Now the Game has me thinking

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:13 pm

If the offer advances your career a real life coach would take it- assuming the prospects are decent to good, the budget and facilities are as good or better than where you are...
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:25 pm

Good points by Wayne.

If it were ME, I'd stay in Hawaii since I prefer the weather to the other places you could go. (Actually if it truly WERE me within DDSCB, I'd probably either stay at Hawaii if I wanted to develop the program further and see how the guys I recruited played and developed.....or if I wanted a new challenge and Colo. St. was truly that I might go there.)

Since your "home" is 20 minutes away from Colorado State, that could be a reason to take that job.

Obviously the Pac-12, Big 10, and ACC jobs are more prestigious and pay more. (But....then your dream job of Oregon State when it comes open would be a step down as far as the prestige level.)

Of course, there is the trustworthy dart board option. :D

Sleep well.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby NCAAhoops » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:41 am

My 2 cents that's worth less than a penny, so take it for its worth as it is your decision.
I would take the Utah job if they have a good roster (see Wayne's post) or Colorado State if they have a good roster and they are close to my home for the fun.
I would not jump from Hawaii to the Big 10 until I become a better coach as that could be a trap for getting fired after a few years unless you are good enough to do damage in the Big 10. Mountain West is a nice stepping stone job. Although if you really like what your doing at Hawaii, like Pointguard said you may want to stay and see what you can build there. I have turned down jobs to to that myself in the past.
Also the Wake Forest job I would not touch as that is a loaded Conference and would be hard to do damage in that conference for years and most likely the team will not give you enough time resulting in getting fired.
Also be sure the school you pick is not on probation before taking the leap.
That is my thoughts again worth nothing or maybe I should pay you for your time spent reading?
NCAAhoops

Postby blazertaz13 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:29 am

I do appreciate the replies. As of right now it is down to staying at Hawai'i (prestige of 36, originally at 32 when I took over) or moving on to CSU (currently 37). CSU has five scholarships available for the upcoming season (2022). They are definitely in a stronger conference which would help with my coach's career. My other concern with CSU is the roster turnover that may occur as they have a couple of red moods and four yellows. So how much turnover will there be? Side question, could I fire any assistant coaches currently there that I believe I could improve upon and not take a budget hit?

The hard part is that I am interested in seeing how my recruits do as I am fond of my two rookies this year and curious how my three or four will fair in the upcoming season.

I believe the bigger conference job offers would be a step into failure as I develop my coach. So it really does come down to stay at Hawai'i or move to Colorado State.
blazertaz13

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:39 am

If you fire assistants on the very first day you arrive at the school it doesn't cost you anything. After that it does.

Another year or two at Hawaii would improve your "numbers" and make you more attractive to other schools, but the Colorado ST job may not come up again. The coach they hire may be successful and may stay there.
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:49 pm

I like hiring the assistants I want, but..........

Realize that, depending upon what the existing assistants are being paid, in order to land the guys you want you MAY have to pay the new coaches higher salaries and that will decrease your recruiting budget.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby blazertaz13 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:03 pm

While I will hate leaving the islands, I am off to Colorado State. Concerned about the roster, but hopefully I get some time to build it up. Hopefully this is the right decision.
blazertaz13

Postby PointGuard » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Good luck!
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby LaStarza » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:57 pm

This thread... more than any other I have read so far... really makes me want to buy this game. I received an email
offering me a discount if I buy the college football game. If I get an offer for a discount on the college basketball game,
I'll probably take the plunge.
LaStarza

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2020 General Discussion