Coach Hiring Questions

Coach Hiring Questions

Postby Ragin Cajun » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:17 am

So for your AI Coach, a few questions regarding the coach hiring phase.

1. Will schools contact you about jobs or can you just apply for jobs?
2. When you apply for a job, will a school reject your application or is it a 100% guarantee you get whatever job you apply for?

Some other nuggets I'm interested in knowing:
1. When you skip the summer is there any way to retain the ability to assign a redshirt to incoming freshmen? It appears that skipping the summer brings you right to the season but gives you no window of opportunity to do redshirts. If this is the case, definitely needs fixing. Maybe come back one day before the season for roster movement? Losing redshirts is huge.
2. When you allow the AI to control recruiting, is there a reason they never sign a full complement of players? (IE You have 5 scholarships but the AI only signs two players.)
Ragin Cajun

Re: Coach Hiring Questions

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:53 am

1. On 4/9 the jobs become available. You get a list of jobs you can apply for, head coach and assistants.
2.You will be accepted if you apply because you qualify. You will not be offered jobs you don;t have the experience and "numbers" for. In other editions I was rejected but it has not happened in 2020.
3. Hm... II'm trying to remember if the last day to redshirt is 11/6 or 11/13. BUT, you can redshirt at any point during the recruiting process by simply going to your roster. Instead of Advancing.
4. The AI is never as good as recruiting as you are as a human player.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:12 pm

Wayne23 wrote: In other editions I was rejected but it has not happened in 2020.

Maybe we can get Gary to re-implement this...but just for Wayne...and make everyone reject him. :p
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:24 pm

re #3: Yes, when you "skip summer", you personally don't get to do the redshirting. I think that the AI decides upon who should be redshirted (at least if you've checkmarked "CPU Manage Offseason/Recruiting". But I'll add to the suggestions list a request to provide the game player the ability to do that even when you've run "skip summer".

re #4: I've just been testing a possible update for CB20, and in doing so have "skipped summer" each of the 6 seasons I've run thus far...and in every one, all of the available scholarships have been filled at the two different programs I've been coaching every year. Those 2 programs have had pretty high prestige ratings, so my expectation is that at lower prestige programs, all of the scholarships may not be filled in summer/fall when "skipping summer"....but when I actually do my own recruiting at lower prestige programs and work my ass off each and every week from July-Nov, I often don't fill all my scholarships in fall/summer and have 1 or 2 to fill in April.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby adamj95 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:49 pm

Are you sure about being accepted because you qualify for a job? There's been plenty of times that I've applied for a head coaching job at at power 5 school and no matter how good of a coach I am, none will accept me even though I qualify and they're interested in me as a head coach.
adamj95

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:05 pm

Haven't seen that, adam. Interesting.
Wayne23

Postby adamj95 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:44 pm

I'm in an association right now running the college mod. I have tried to apply for the head coaching job at Minnesota and Stanford multiple times now and keep getting rejected. I will update after this season is done but I don't think this will be the year they hire me even though I have a great winning percentage and go far in the tournament each season at my school.
adamj95

Postby PointGuard » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:04 pm

I don't understand why the Minnesota and Stanford head coaching jobs would keep coming open. Usually at colleges like that when a new coach goes there they don't come open again for quite a while...so you shouldn't see them on the list for a number of years.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby adamj95 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:46 pm

Just finished the season. I have a reputation of 86 as a coach. 502-203 career record. Applied to Notre Dame, Louisiana State, Illinois (on probation) and they all rejected me. Not sure why but I feel like if I don't start out an association at a power 5 school, I can never get one to hire me.
adamj95

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:12 pm

Gotta be something weird about your settings, or something else is messed up. What's your Ambition set at?
Wayne23

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2020 General Discussion