Starting as 3rd assistant

Starting as 3rd assistant

Postby Valentyne » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:49 pm

Does anyone start at the bottom and work their way up? I’ve been looking for advice on how to start and what responsibilities the 3rd assistant (practice coach) would have, but I’m not finding anything.

I did one season and all I did was sim the entire thing, no real interaction except looking over and saving the practice plan.
Valentyne

Re: Starting as 3rd assistant

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:50 pm

I don't find any stimulation as an assistant. I prefer to work my way up by starting as the head coach at a really low rated school, an with really low ratings, for my coach but very high potential ratings. Then he progresses over time.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:47 pm

I agree with Wayne. I've always started as a Head Coach. Typically I start with low or mid-range coaching ratings and move around various low or mid-level programs...once one becomes successful, I look for another dog.

There are those who have played as Asst Coaches though and maybe they will provide some input here.

In the meantime:Take a look at these threads:

viewtopic.php?f=272&t=28551&p=202160&hilit=assistant+coach#p202160

viewtopic.php?f=248&t=26841&p=193811&hilit=assistant+coach#p193811
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Valentyne » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:35 pm

I read that in a previous versions of the game, Practice coaches could make suggestions on extra training. I did not encounter that in 2 seasons. However, I’ve now been laterally moved to Scouting. It’s definitely more involved and I’ve found more information on people that have played as Scouting coaches.

The quizzes are frustrating, to say the least. I’ve copied stats in a notebook and had the correct answer right in front of me and it’s counted as incorrect.
Valentyne

Postby Valentyne » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:53 pm

I’ve started taking pictures of the relevant screens and using those as cheat sheets. Still can’t get every answer correct. lol
Valentyne

Postby PointGuard » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:29 pm

Added to the CB2021 Suggestions list to improve the level and degree of activities for Assistant Coaches for those opting to go that route...and an explanation of what each type of Assistant could/should do during the season.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Vann_the_Red » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:53 pm

Thanks, PG! I started as an assistant, made it 3 weeks into the sim, quit and restarted. Never occurred to me that folk might like that, but if they do, it should be fleshed out.
Vann_the_Red

Postby PointGuard » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:46 pm

I think to make the Asst Coach option really good it would take a complete re-imagining of things and a lot of programming work.

To me for it to be worthwhile to be:

Scouting Asst---would need to be able to scout whatever games of any of the upcoming opponents and create a true scouting report based upon what you see in those games.

Recruiting Asst---would need to be able to contact recruits and their coaches and families and find out tidbits about the recruit and have some way of assessing and evaluating their skills and the ability to provide input to the head coach on which recruits you feel he should offer scholarships to and when.

Player Development Coach---would need ability to have input on what needs to be focused upon in practices and an ability to work with any of the players on various aspects of their game.

This would be a huge project and probably not worth the effort since there are more important things to improve in the game (imho).

But I guess it MAY be possible to make some tweaks to the programming for Asst Coach options (minor improvements) that would in some way expand what they presently do and make it more interesting for those who want to play the game as Asst Coaches.

But it's Gary's decision as to how he wants to develop DDSCB and what's truly worthwhile and do-able.

By the time Gary is ready to begin working on CB2021, I suspect there will be well over 200 suggestions for him to review...and likely he will have the time and ability to implement only a small percentage of those.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby Valentyne » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:18 pm

Thanks everyone. This is my first experience with this game and I guess I just wanted to get the full experience of it. So far I’m highly impressed. I haven’t had this itch scratched since Collegehoops 2K8.

I probably won’t go through the assistant coach route again, but it’s been worth it. Getting my feet wet and learning the mechanics.

Thanks for such an awesome game!
Valentyne

Postby PointGuard » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:27 pm

Valentyne wrote:Thanks everyone. This is my first experience with this game and I guess I just wanted to get the full experience of it. So far I’m highly impressed. I haven’t had this itch scratched since Collegehoops 2K8.

I probably won’t go through the assistant coach route again, but it’s been worth it. Getting my feet wet and learning the mechanics.

Thanks for such an awesome game!

If you got excited by playing as an Asst Coach, you should be enthralled when you experience it as a Head Coach. :cool:

Welcome to the boards. Looking forward to your participation here.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2020 General Discussion