Player statistics

Player statistics

Postby TheWull » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:46 am

Dear DDS: College Basketball community,

i am a newbie to this game and i´m trying to learn it.
I have watched many Cards YouTube videos, thanks for your !GREAT! work. With your streams about the wolverine games your realy show me the magic of this kind of games.

My college basketball background knowledge is very straightforward. I am living in germany there is no background :-)
Thanks to Cards, i begin to understand the game. After some succesfull drafts, the first games begin.
Like in most american sports, there are a lot of statistics (i love statistics). I need some help to understand them.

Because i could not find any explanation of the statistics in the game / in the forum i started to unlock them for me.

What I found out so far, I would like to share with you.

The whole thing is kept quite simple, on the left side you can see the abbreviation in the game, on the right side what it means. Example:
FTM Free Throws Made.
In brackets I wrote my comments how to interpret this value.

I would be happy if we could add the missing statistics (what means "TOFC, SHTF, PA/SF,...").
I would be glad to get feedback from you if what I have written is right or if I have misunderstood something. Maybe we will have an entry in the forum at the end where all statistics are described completely. I think we all could benefit from this and new players will have an easier start.

Basic Stats:

GP Games Played
GS Games Started
Min Minutes Played

(FG = Any shot or tap worth two or three points, FT don´t count)

FGM Field Goals Made
FGA Field Goals Attempted
FG% Field Goal Percentage

3PM Three Point Field Goals Made
3PA Three Point Field Goals Attempted
3P% Three Point Field Goals Percentage

FTM Free Throws Made
FTA Free Throws Attempted
FT% Free Throws Percentage

ORB Offensive Rebounds
DRB Defensive Rebounds
TRB Total Rebounds (Off+Def)

AST Assists
STL Steals
BLK Blocks

TOV Turnovers
PF Personal Fouls
PTS Points

(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_statistics)

Shooting Stats:

2PA/2P a shot thats worth 2 points (why 2PA/2P and not FGA/FM? FGA = 2PA+3PA, but we wanne know the 2P hit rate, we have to elimate the 3P)
3PA/3P a shot thats worth 3 points

2PA % of 2P throws (2PA+3PA = 100 % of the player shoot attemps)
0-3A % of 2P that are 0-3 feet from the basket
3-10A % of 2P that are 3-10 feet from the basket
10-16A % of 2P that are 10-16 feet from the basket
16-3PA % of 2P that are 16 feet from the basket, but no 3P shoot

3PA % of Three Point Field Goals of all throws (2PA+3PA = 100 % of the player shoot attemps)
2P% % of 2P made (distance doesent matters, but its a 2 point throw)
0-3% % of 2P made that are 0-3 feet from the basket
3-10A % of 2P made that are 3-10 feet from the basket
10-16A % of 2P made that are 10-16 feet from the basket
16-3PA % of 2P made that are 16 feet from the basket, but no 3P shoot

3P% % of 3P made

(Source (Tooltips at the columns): https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... i?id=ctTLw)

Advanced Stats:

ON ??? (The Player is ON the court, the number is the score difference between the teams)
OFF ??? (The Player is OFF the court (another player is playing for him, the number is the score difference between the teams)
NET ON - OFF
PER Player Efficent Rating, > 15 slightly above average (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_efficiency_rating)
TS% True Shooting Percentage (a 3P is worth 3 Points, a FG only 2, a free throw just one point, this stat weight this)
EFG% Effective Field Goal Percentage (Formular: (FG+(0,5*3P))/FGA), in words: FG% gets a bonus from 3PM, a good 3P-shooter gets a bonus on his FG%)

FG%, TS%, EFG% whats the different?
https://squared2020.com/2017/10/10/rela ... s-and-efg/

ORB% Offensive Rebound Percentage (If the player is ON, how many ORB he will grab)
DRB% Defensive Rebound Percentage (If the player is ON, how many DRB he will grab)
TRB% Total Rebound Percentage (If the player is ON, how many ORB+DRB he will grab)
AST% Assist Percentage (The percentage means: Number of FG assisted by this player, if he is on the court)
STL% Stealing Percentage (The percentage means: Number of steals by this player, if he is on the court)
BLK% Block Percentage (The percentage means: Number of blocks by this player, if he is on the court)
TO% Turnover Percentage (The percentage means: Number of turnovers for 100 plays.)
A/TO assist to turnover ratio
USG% Usage Rate (this is an offense stat. an offense play ends when this happens "field-goal attempt, free-throw attempt or turnover".
if all players were the same (take same amounts of shots, same number of TO, the USG% were 20%. 5 * 20% = 100% offensive plays ends. 20% menas, your team use all players for offense.
if a player is at 50%, this means he "ends" 50 % of your offense plays (field-goal attempt, free-throw attempt or turnover) and the other players have a much lower USG%.)

Miscellaneous Stats:

DRVS ??? (Drives Sucessful, a player run to the basket and scores)
DRVF ??? (Drives Failed)
STP% ??? (% of how many times a drive get stopped?)
TOFC ???
PTAL ??? (Points Allowed)
SHTF ???
PA/SF ???
TCHS ??? (Touches with the ball, how often does the player get the ball)
TO/TCH ??? (Turnover/Touches with the ball: How often the player lose the ball)
A/TCH ??? (Assist/Touches with the ball: How often the player assist another player)
CHRG The number of time a defensive player or team takes a charge (Player leads an attack)
TECH ???

----------------------

Helpful Links:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/103 ... nd-metrics
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/181 ... hoops-math
https://www.basketball-reference.com/ab ... ssary.html
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/ ... tions.html
TheWull

FG%, EFG%, TS%

Postby RandyR17 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:14 pm

FG% is straightforward. Number of made shots / 12number of attempted shots. Does not matter if you shoot 3s or 2s.

EFG% takes into account that a 3pt shot has more weight than a 2pt shot.

Example. If you have 2 players each taking 10 shots from the field
Player A
- only shoots 2p FGs, at 60%
- expected to make 6 shots in 10 attempts
- expected total pts in 10 attempts = 6 x 2 = 12 pts

Player B
- only shoots 3p FGs, at 40%
- expected to make 4 shots in 10 attempts
- expected total pts in 10 attempts = 4 x 3 = 12 pts

Although Player B has lower FG% than Player A, both of them have equal EFG% at 60%, because the expected number of pts that they will score is the same (for the same # of attempts)

TS% is bit tricky. Your description of "(a 3P is worth 3 Points, a FG only 2, a free throw just one point, this stat weight this)" … well, it is not that straightforward. It suppose to measure the 'efficiency' of a player shooting the ball. But yes you are correct, it factors in the players FTs, which is not the case in FG% and EFG%. you provided a link below detailing the formula for TS%. I looked at the stats of my current association / dynasty, and verified that this game uses the same formula for TS%

TS% = PTS / (2 * (FGA + 0.44 * FTA)) x 100%

Here are 3 scenarios / players where each of them attempted the same number of shots, produced the same number of pts, but will have different TS%

Player A
- 1st possession: converts a 2 pt shot
- 2nd possession: converts a 3 pt shot
- 3rd possession: missed but got fouled (assumed act of shooting), and converted 1 of 2 FTs
Total pts: 6 pts
FGA: 2 (when you get fouled on the act of shooting, that does not count as an FGA)
FTA: 2

FG% (Player A) = 2/2 = 100%
EFG% (Player A) = 150%
TS% (Player A) = 6 / (2 * (2 + 0.44 * 2)) x 100% = 104.2%

Player B:
- 1st possession: converts a 2 pt shot
- 2nd possession: converts a 2 pt shot
- 3rd possession: converts a 2 pt shot
FGA: 3
FTA: 0

EFG% (Player A) = 100%
TS% (Player B) = 6 / (2 * (3 + 0.44 * 0)) x 100% = 100.0%

Player C:
- 1st possession: converts a 2 pt shot, plus a foul, converts the bonus FT
- 2nd possession: converts a 3 pt shot
- 3rd possession: missed but got fouled (act of shooting), missed both FTs
FGA: 2
FTA: 3

EFG% (Player A) = 150%
TS% (Player C) = 6 / (2 * (2 + 0.44 * 3)) x 100% = 90.4%

Notice that Players A and C have higher EFG% than Player B, because they (A, C) only took 2 attempts from the field, while Player B took 3. Player A has a higher TS% than Player C, because of slightly better FT shooting - A is 1 out of 2, while C is 1 out of 3.
RandyR17

Hack-a-Shaq?

Postby RandyR17 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:54 pm

Here is another scenario that demonstrates the use of TS%

Suppose your opponent has a dominant big man who can score inside. Let's call him Shaq. Shaq likes to shoot within 3 ft from the basket, which is why his FG% is 60%. However he shoots only 60% FT. Assume your team is in the double-bonus penalty, i.e. the opposition will shoot 2 FTs for every foul.

Strategy A (do not foul)
10 possessions for Shaq
10 FGAs
6 FGMs (60% FG)
Total pts = 6 x 2 = 12 pts

Strategy B (foul hard every time, making sure he miss and there is no 'and 1')
10 possessions
0 FGA (missed shots while being fouled are not counted as FGA)
20 FTAs (10 x 2 FTs each)
12 FTMs (60% FT)
Total pts = 12 x 1 = 12 pts

Same number of expected pts. But in terms of TS%

TS% (no foul) = PTS / (2 * (FGA + 0.44 * FTA)) x 100%
= 12 / (2 * (10 + 0.44 * 0)) x 100%
= 60% (same as the FG%, which is also the EFG%)

TS% (foul always) = PTS / (2 * (FGA + 0.44 * FTA)) x 100%
= 12 / (2 * (0 + 0.44 * 20)) x 100%
= 68%

So in this situation, fouling Shaq every time he touches the ball makes him a more 'efficient' player, in terms of TS%. So if you are the coach, the better strategy is to not foul him :)
RandyR17

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2020 General Discussion