Scholarship

Scholarship

Postby TheWull » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:23 pm

Hello College Basketball community,

do i have to offer a scholarship to a player to play in my team or will he come to my school without a scholarship?
The background of the question is, i need a center, but the best center has a position rating of 320 (of 360 players on the position) i do not necessarily want to give the player a scholarship, because i would rather use it for a better player.
TheWull

Re: Scholarship

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Only walk ons will come if you do not offer a scholarship.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:25 pm

Wayne's right...and that guy will NOT be a walkon.

But: what do you mean that the best guy is the #320 rated C? You weren't able to entice any other more-highly rated C's to become interested in your program during recruiting?

Of course, your coaches may have mis-evaluated that guy and he may be much better than what they thought.

(BTW...welcome to the world of DDSCB and these forums.)
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby TheWull » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:50 am

Hello Wayne, hello PointGuard,
thank you for your answers. You're really helping me understand the game.
This means that if I want a player on my team, I have to offer him a scholarship. Walk on players have nothing to do with my list of recruits and their interest in my school.
This is pretty cool :)

The thing with the #320 ratet center, i'm a coach at the NJIT Highlanders school, team prestige 6/100, conf prestige 15/100. on this level there aren't that many players who want to play in my team :-)
TheWull

Postby PointGuard » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:12 pm

TheWull wrote:The thing with the #320 ratet center, i'm a coach at the NJIT Highlanders school, team prestige 6/100, conf prestige 15/100. on this level there aren't that many players who want to play in my team :-)

Good point! It is difficult to get top-ranked recruits at a low-prestige school. I think as you continue to play and recruit, you will find that you become more successful at it, though. That doesn't mean that extremely highly-ranked recruits will likely be possible to recruit, but I think you will begin to get mid-level recruits and an occasional top 150 or 250 ranked recruit. But it takes dogged and persistent recruiting. At low prestige schools, working the in-state recruits is very important (they're more likely to show interest plus the recruiting costs are much lower) and then secondarily your regional recruits. Also, sometimes you will be able to get a higher level recruit at a low prestige school during spring (late March to mid-April) from the group of recruits who didn't get picked up by other schools earlier.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:00 pm

Good points by PG, especially in state and saving money for sprin g recruiting.
Wayne23

Postby TheWull » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:41 pm

Hello PG,
thanks for the tips. I ll try the spring recruting soon. I hope i dont get fired first :D
TheWull

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2020 General Discussion