Scheduling Question

Scheduling Question

Postby alternativestats » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:36 pm

Are there benefits to playing a tougher schedule outside of end of season RPI or Top 25 ranking goals?

For instance does it help player development or team prestige to play better teams? Or to play more on the road vs at home?
alternativestats

Re: Scheduling Question

Postby RandyR17 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:31 am

This is what I know (based also from what I have read / inputs from the experts in this forum)

1. Team prestige. This is determined primarily by your performance in the postseason. The deeper the run, the higher the increase in prestige. I don't think your final RPI ranking affects your team prestige increase, although I am not 100% sure

2. Player development. You and assistant coach skills (on player development) are the primary factors. Also, playing time helps increase player skills

3. Tougher non conference schedule affects RPI, rankings, and ultimately the tournament seedings. If you a dominant team with national championship aspirations, but playing on a mid-major conference, you may want to have a tougher schedule so that you can get high seeding in the NCAA tournament
RandyR17

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2020 General Discussion