Recruiting Question

Recruiting Question

Postby tm74 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:07 pm

So, in my 4th season a UCMich, I was able to net the #22 recruiting class in the country. In my 5th season, however, no one is interested. Kids in my region are generally NONE and good players in general are just cool, no matter what I do. What could cause my home region to just suddenly shut me out? Why would the general interest in my school decline as my roster and record improve? So confuse...
tm74

Re: Recruiting Question

Postby PointGuard » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:25 pm

I think getting a #22 for Central Michigan was a rather uncommon (and fortunate) success. I think you will find some recruiting seasons to be more difficult than others...including the willingness of recruits in your region to become interested in your school. There can be many reasons for that. Your recruiting needs vary every season, your having starters pretty much locked in vary each season (and recruits may be less interested when they don't see the opportunity for much playing time), interest levels in other schools in your region varies, quality of recruits in your region varies, etc. I think it just requires persistence and you will begin to see interest build in some of the recruits. But some years you will land better recruits than others...just how it goes.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby tm74 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:06 pm

For sure the 22 was a few good breaks. I landed two 4 stars who just happened to be interested for unexplained reasons. My concern wasn't with the inability to duplicate that success, it was that I've fallen back farther than I've been in any other season interest wise after my best season on court and in recruiting. I have definite opening positions in the line up that need filled, too, so not like kids are blocked. To be honest, I'm starting to see way too much random in everything in the game. Not just recruiting. I did some test runs of game sims and found that if you sim the same game several times, the result varies WILDLY. Win by 20, lose by 20, everything in between. There should be chance, but not quite that wide. Anyway, getting off topic.
tm74

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:04 pm

At what point in the season are you. I've had times where I had little success in the fall but a lot of success in the spring.
Wayne23

Postby tm74 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:04 am

i'm nearly to february and nothing is really heating up. Most of the top recruits and 90% of the region are solid NONE. Have been since season start. I'm winning and have vacancies next year and no one wants them.
tm74

Postby PointGuard » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:50 pm

Have you been calling and recalling as many as possible of these no interest guys each week? Eventually some will give you the time of day and there will be at least a spark of interest created which you can pursue more in future weeks. Be persistent. Keep hammering on them. But like Wayne said, recruiting results definitely slow down starting in November and don't really pick up a lot until March/April. Best you will probably be able to do is begin to make inroads with a few recruits during this slower period of time.

I think you're placing too much importance on your past year's success as to it developing a high level of interest in your program That develops with repeated success over the years. You're competing regionally with some real powerhouses and a lot of other colleges which have prestige levels (and records) about the same or a little better than yours.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby tm74 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:16 pm

I'm doing the calls, for sure. Also, as I said, I have no expectation of repeating that lucky run from the previous season. The issue is that though my program is advancing, the recruiting got significantly worse than the PREVIOUS year, before I landed a whale class. It just overall feels like the rng swings are really really wild in the game. Might be great. Might suck. Might be meh. Only 5 seasons in, so maybe my sample is too small, but it feels too random in general.
tm74

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2020 General Discussion