Double team question

Double team question

Postby slaphappy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:41 pm

There have only been 2 other games in my entire life that I thought about at work. This one is the third.. nice piece of work. I watch basketball on occasion but have never really been a fan.. so I am kinda learning the ins and outs as I go.

One question I have is double teaming on defense. What am I sacrificing if I double team a player ? Does another area suffer if I double team the best player on the other team the whole game? What if I am double teaming 2 guys?
slaphappy

Re: Double team question

Postby PointGuard » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:34 am

There's some obvious logical answers to your questions. But I'm not sure how the game truly handles this (nor do I want to know how "the sausage is made"), so I think you just have to experiment and draw your own conclusions as to what the effect of double teaming is WITHIN this game. I double team a lot (but don't double team more than one guy at a time)...sometimes it seems to help (i.e, the guy takes fewer shots or hits a lower percentage of his shots or makes a lot of turnovers) , other times it fails (the guy continues to burn me and scores 20+ points or draws a lot of fouls putting one or more of my players in foul trouble or one of his teammates goes on a scoring rampage). But that is probably realistic.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby RandyR17 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:15 pm

I usually implement a "double-team everyone mayhem" type of defense. It is effective once your players develop high ratings on their man-to-man defense. The higher the ratings, the quicker your players rotate to double team the opposing player.

One minor disadvantage I noticed is that your bigs maybe out of position to grab the defensive rebound. So its good to have guards / SFs who have high rebounding ratings, and increase your defensive rebounding intensity ("crash")
RandyR17

Postby Orsalak » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:24 pm

RandyR17 wrote:I usually implement a "double-team everyone mayhem" type of defense. It is effective once your players develop high ratings on their man-to-man defense. The higher the ratings, the quicker your players rotate to double team the opposing player.

One minor disadvantage I noticed is that your bigs maybe out of position to grab the defensive rebound. So its good to have guards / SFs who have high rebounding ratings, and increase your defensive rebounding intensity ("crash")

Interesting strategy, I may have to try this out. Does that mean you rely more on experienced players who know your system better? (higher man-to-man rating)
Orsalak

Postby RandyR17 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:06 pm

Yes, having experienced players would help. Take note though that the system is also dependent on the players' individual defensive ratings.

So if have a young team of "one and dones", I try to focus a lot of training time on man-to-man defense (at least 30%, sometimes even 40%). By March, they should have decent ratings already. You sacrifice a bit on offense training, but ..... defense (and rebounding) wins championships.
RandyR17

Postby Orsalak » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:50 pm

RandyR17 wrote:Yes, having experienced players would help. Take note though that the system is also dependent on the players' individual defensive ratings.

So if have a young team of "one and dones", I try to focus a lot of training time on man-to-man defense (at least 30%, sometimes even 40%). By March, they should have decent ratings already. You sacrifice a bit on offense training, but ..... defense (and rebounding) wins championships.

What kind of offense do you pair this with? Motion jumps out at me if you are a younger team since they typically start with 10 points. I typically run motion and triangle anyway.
Orsalak

Postby RandyR17 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:18 pm

You can run your preferred offense sets. For young teams though, I tend to play more offensive freedom at the start since they are not yet proficient on halfcourt sets.

My priority is to train heavily on defense at the start of their college careers. On the following year, you can lessen the amount of training on defense, and give more time on your preferred offense sets
RandyR17

Postby prorta » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:55 am

I SIM all my games. Is there a way to make the team double team without going into the game play itself?
prorta

Postby RandyR17 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:47 pm

prorta wrote:I SIM all my games. Is there a way to make the team double team without going into the game play itself?

I dont think there is that option / setting (double team) when simming games.

Although I do notice that the AI coaches usually double-team 5-star players when playing m2m defense
RandyR17

Postby prorta » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:23 am

RandyR17 wrote:
prorta wrote:I SIM all my games. Is there a way to make the team double team without going into the game play itself?

I dont think there is that option / setting (double team) when simming games.

Although I do notice that the AI coaches usually double-team 5-star players when playing m2m defense

Ok, good to know. Thanks. I hope this is an option later on.
prorta

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2020 General Discussion