Game play screen

Game play screen

Postby JohnnySlick » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:10 am

A few issues I'm seeing when playing both teams (the computer will still call plays that you can change on the fly, so this is a viable way to play):

- The visiting team doesn't show play diagrams. This isn't *that* big of a deal, compared to...
- The home team can't call timeouts. I think both of these issues are caused by widget sizes causing other widgets to fall off the screen or behind other things, but, well, I don't have direct access to the code...
- The final play of the game either doesn't appear to get played or the clock runs out on its own. When you get to the last screen, you simply can't call a play. Exiting out of the game reveals that the game is finished, which is a lot better than it crashing, which is what I'd initially thought happened, but nope, the game actually does wrap itself up.

Also...

- I realize this is a "design decision" but there's no easy way to make substitutions on the fly. You can set up a 3rd down depth chart (although you can't rename one of your presets "third down", so even that's of limited use), but if your QB is 5-18 with 4 picks you can't take him out of the game, for example, and more to the point you can't really pull your starters unless you have one of your presets set to flip-flop your second string (which, again, you can't actually rename so good luck remembering which one you used for it). It's not a good design decision, no other sports game tries to do this (including other Wolverine games and including other football sims).

I'm actually super satisfied with the game as a whole. I'd love to be able to calibrate stuff beyond pass and rush attempt lengths for different eras but I appreciate that you guys will want to get the basics of the game down first before making a nod towards historical play. Otherwise, though, it feels pretty good, calling plays seems to be easy enough, and roster maintenance is (relatively) a snap as well.
JohnnySlick

Re: Game play screen

Postby renojedi » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:57 am

Count me in as someone who also would like to make in game substitutions rather than have to use offensive packages to do so. Hope it makes it in the game in a patch or a future version. As a a decent substitute, can we get the ability to rename the packages as the OP mentioned?
renojedi

Postby JohnnySlick » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:06 am

For the part about the timeout button disappearing for the home team, I confirmed that it's a matter of the other widgets crowding it out of the screen. If you switch to the special teams "playbook" and then choose the punt or FG formation, it doesn't show the play diagram for those so the button is available to be clicked once again.
JohnnySlick

Postby UnWorld » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:57 am

I also need this feature to be able to fully play the game - as I get in and Coach every down with the 2D experience.

Renaming Personnel Packages in the Depth Chart is what anchors my football gaming. My offensive schemes depend on me setting up drives, rotating between "13 personnel" and "22 personnel" groups (i.e., Baltimore Ravens). I also use the packages on Defense to rotate my 'subs' for hybrid SS/LB roles (also Baltimore Ravens style).

In DDS:PF20 I could just click the package name on the title bar to rename it, this year the name is in a dropdown menu.

Again - this year's game is AWESOME though. Really enjoying the new GUI and the draft presentation.
UnWorld

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2021 General Discussion