Are defensive flat assignments working?

Are defensive flat assignments working?

Postby NotMikeZimmer » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:41 pm

I have been doing play design testing with the new motion system and how the defensive assignments respond, and I dont think the defensive flat assignment is working.

I had noticed this before, but thought maybe it was a fluke or caused by other variables like player attributes or other aspects of the play, but I havent seen the flat assignment work once.

In this example the defense is running from dime formation with the CBs and NBs in Man, the Mike in zone, and both safeties in flat.

The offense is running from pro set, the FB is motioning Right wide streak, the TE is running slant, the RWR is motioning left slot right out, the LWR is running streak, and RB is running Flat Left.

As you can see in the picture both safeties stay completely still, even as the RB comes out of the Flat. no one picks him up. Ive seen the exact same results from Flat assigned CBs, LBS, and D-lineman, and against other routes.

Im not sure what the Flat coverage assignment is intended to do, but as its currently operating its seems to me like you'd have to be crazy to use it because the assigned defenders just freeze. Is this a bug or am I missing something?
NotMikeZimmer

Re: Are defensive flat assignments working?

Postby Cleasby » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:23 pm

I think it depends on what cover flat the 2 are occupying one. What zone coverage they are responsible for. Looking at this I would say they are covering the hole so the RB won't be picked up as nobody is covering flat curl which is where it looks like the RB is running to therefore the play is correct that the FS and as are not moving yet. How does the play develop next?

If they re covering deep they would be running back by now and in curl flat cover they would be wider (SS/FS).
Cleasby

Postby NotMikeZimmer » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:35 pm

The Qb throws to the RWR. I could take more example photos from different plays. As I've said I've seen the same response from flat assigned LBs and CBs. I'm guess I just dont understand what the Flat assignment is meant to do. this is how I've always thought the flat was defined:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_(gridiron_football)

in which case I would have thought the Flat assigned FS would have dropped down to pick him up.
NotMikeZimmer

Postby NotMikeZimmer » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:08 pm

This is how I have always thought of flats.

Here is the play the defense in running in the following video

The Outside linebackers are responsible for the flat.

https://youtu.be/DxphJUrZ0bE

As you can seen in the video the linebackers remain motionless throughout the play, even though there are multiple receivers moving through both flats.

I have run other plays on offense and defense, with different routes including screens and routes out of the backfield, with a wide array of defensive assignments including CBs assigned to the flat, with a mix of man, zone, and deep zone assignments around the flat responsible player. In every case the Flat assigned defender as done nothing to cover the flat, or any other area.

Perhaps we are using different definitions of the flat, but I am curious how the flat defensive assignment is meant to be used? is it meant as a way to keep your defender in place to defend the run?
NotMikeZimmer

Postby C-Bailey24 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:28 am

There is no multiple meaning or use of a Flat assignment. The OP is correct in that the CB, LB, or whomever is suppose to cover the flat area if that is there assignment
C-Bailey24

Postby Cleasby » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:27 am

C-Bailey24 wrote:There is no multiple meaning or use of a Flat assignment. The OP is correct in that the CB, LB, or whomever is suppose to cover the flat area if that is there assignment

Yep this
Cleasby

Postby AKH » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:12 am

ill look into it.
AKH

Postby NotMikeZimmer » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:15 am

Thank goodness, I thought I'd gone insane or something.

If you do end up having time to fix it I think a Left and Right and flat assignment would be great, especially if you want to shift the MLB over on a blitz or something.
NotMikeZimmer

Postby AKH » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:51 am

Ive made a fix for this to make them hesitate less and go furhter toward the sideline. Remember that (like most zone plays) they behave differently on runs and passes (and also depending on the checks they have to 'read' the play)
AKH

Postby NotMikeZimmer » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:03 am

Thanks, I really appreciate how quickly you worked on this. I can only imagine this will drastically improve defensive play design options.
NotMikeZimmer

Next

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2021 General Discussion