Retirement Cap Penalties

Retirement Cap Penalties

Postby vgorilla80 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Would it be possible to extend the cap penalties we already have in place for cutting players to player retirements as well? Perhaps the same options we have for cuts could carry over (option to turn it on/off, penalty percentage, etc.). We've seen similar situations happen in the NFL (Luke Kuechly for instance), and it would add a bit more realism to retirements rather than the rest of their contract just disappearing. I've had other owners from our online league request this as well.

Thanks!
vgorilla80

Re: Retirement Cap Penalties

Postby Cleasby » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:05 pm

I agree with this. We are seeing 7 year extensions and free agency signings for old player being abused on back heavy deals. It would be great to have an in-game solution versus a manual one for multiplayer leagues.
Cleasby

Postby zac » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:13 pm

Agree. Until this game can get more detailed contracts, it should be an option in-game to allow leagues to apply cut penalties to retired players. The cut % in league settings is essentially the amount of guaranteed signing bonus in relation to. If a player retires, teams still are responsible for a guaranteed portion of the contract in relation to CAP hits even for NFL teams.

As mentioned, all too often will GMs in-game sign guys to 7 year backloaded contracts when a player is old with no real risk to ever have to pay the back heavy portion of the contract as they will retire well before getting to the end of the contract. This rule option would help add risk to doing such contracts for GMs that choose to do so. Especially since the game doesn't decline ratings much in the later years so the risk of having an older player nose dive in ratings isn't represented in the game much (see a lot of elite 36-year-old CBs that stay elite into the late 30s, RBs that have don't get worse into their late 20s, etc). This would help add risk for signing older players in general IMO.
zac

Postby st0nfacd » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:23 pm

As has been mentioned, the more realism we can get the better. This will be a great first step before we eventually get more detailed contract options one day.
st0nfacd

Postby unbbmas » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:59 pm

Easy to fix , just implement a good regression system with the age , is not realistic players at 39 years old without any impact in their ratings , if you want you can sign a 20 years extension but he should play as my grand mother
unbbmas

Postby BlueVision » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:12 pm

I agree also with the OP.
BlueVision

Postby drumr » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:07 am

I would also like to suggest at the very least compensation picks be added to the game as well. Without compensation picks given to teams for high-level talent in the game, multiplayer leagues struggle to fill entire rosters because they're so desperate to hold on to talent. We have teams with 25-30 players. If teams in multiplayer knew they would receive a 3rd round pick for losing talent they wouldn't have to backload deals and free agency would become more interesting etc... I would love to see this feature added in future versions as comp picks are very important in the modern NFL for keeping a 53 man roster together and limiting salary averages.
drumr

Postby Rizzo » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:46 pm

Yes, this is becoming a legit loop hole in our online league. It could be implemented just like cut player penalties where we can choose a % of dead cap that gets assessed for any retired players. Would make teams think twice to giving out 7-year heavy back loaded deals to 35-year old players.
Rizzo

Postby Templer » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:40 pm

I, too, see the need for such an expansion.
Speaking of expansions, necessities, and older players - older players should be more prone to injury!
Follow WWPF Football on WWPF insider: https://twitter.com/WWPFInsider
Templer

Postby zac » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:49 pm

unbbmas wrote:Easy to fix , just implement a good regression system with the age , is not realistic players at 39 years old without any impact in their ratings, if you want you can sign a 20 years extension but he should play as my grand mother

I agree. A more dynamic regression (& progression) system would do wonders . I still think ‘guaranteed $$’ should have cap impact after retirement, but no way a team should feel comfortable signing a 33 LB to more than a 2-3 year deal due to the risk of ratings regressing significantly. This isn't implemented in-game now as players basically just retire near their peak. If older players regressed more and regressed earlier, it'd open up the game to drafts having better talent and young players progressing faster as well.
zac

Next

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2021 General Discussion