An option to turn off auto subs?

An option to turn off auto subs?

Postby Invisible Witness » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:38 pm

Is there an option to turn off auto subbing players? I'm using specifically created plays for each of my players so for example I have a play that is meant 100% for my starting LWR but sometimes CPU subs him off for my back up LWR and I don't like that. It's actually frustrating and killing the buzz. Crucial 3rd down all my hopes are with my starting LWR I call his play and then... i see his back up come in and drop easy catch...
So again, is there an option to prevent this ?
Invisible Witness

Re: An option to turn off auto subs?

Postby brooks_piggott » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:20 pm

Not in this version. It may be something we can add in the future as an option for sandbox or career games. Otherwise this is the kind of setting that will completely ruin getting realistic season results.
brooks_piggott

Postby Cleasby » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:36 pm

Invisible Witness wrote:Is there an option to turn off auto subbing players? I'm using specifically created plays for each of my players so for example I have a play that is meant 100% for my starting LWR but sometimes CPU subs him off for my back up LWR and I don't like that. It's actually frustrating and killing the buzz. Crucial 3rd down all my hopes are with my starting LWR I call his play and then... i see his back up come in and drop easy catch...

top tip put them at top 2 spots in the dc then they will sub out less
Cleasby

Postby Invisible Witness » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:05 pm

Cleasby wrote:
Invisible Witness wrote:Is there an option to turn off auto subbing players? I'm using specifically created plays for each of my players so for example I have a play that is meant 100% for my starting LWR but sometimes CPU subs him off for my back up LWR and I don't like that. It's actually frustrating and killing the buzz. Crucial 3rd down all my hopes are with my starting LWR I call his play and then... i see his back up come in and drop easy catch...

Thanks for tip I will try that out. Also what if I put them at top 3 spots? Would that prevent back ups from coming in completely ?
Invisible Witness

Postby brooks_piggott » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:10 pm

No, when they get tired the game will still find a backup for them eventually.
brooks_piggott

Postby Cleasby » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:48 pm

Invisible Witness wrote:
Cleasby wrote:

Thanks for tip I will try that out. Also what if I put them at top 3 spots? Would that prevent back ups from coming in completely ?

they would still come out if tired but what this does is stop the game from benching them if you are up.
Cleasby

Postby locus » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:54 am

I just want to echo this concern, I played the demo and this is 100% the biggest thing putting me off paying money for the full version. As a real coach I would know before I called a pass play whether the pass was going to be thrown by Touchdown Tom Brady or his no-name understudy, the fact that I can't see this in game is immensely frustrating. I don't know how you can defend this as "realism", real life coaches can recognize their players' faces.
locus

Postby brooks_piggott » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:57 pm

I guess our definitions of realism are a bit different. In most cases the game won't let you deal in absolutes, since that is not realistic at all. In real life you can't target a player 100% of the time, there are always first reads, second reads, situational changes (prioritize guys beyond the first down marker if you're on third down), etc. There also are players getting tired and sitting out plays, whether it's due to a tweaked ankle, or cramps, or tiredness, or just general rotations to keep other players involved.

I already posted that we'd look at adding settings so people could override some of this behavior, but it would only be available while playing out the games to give the user more control. If you're playing single player career mode and throwing for 8000 yards to one receiver using user created players, then I don't really have a problem with it. For sandbox/multiyear simulations, or for multiplayer online play, we have to stick to more realistic results.
brooks_piggott

Postby Invisible Witness » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:36 pm

Brooks_Piggott wrote:I guess our definitions of realism are a bit different. In most cases the game won't let you deal in absolutes, since that is not realistic at all. In real life you can't target a player 100% of the time, there are always first reads, second reads, situational changes (prioritize guys beyond the first down marker if you're on third down), etc. There also are players getting tired and sitting out plays, whether it's due to a tweaked ankle, or cramps, or tiredness, or just general rotations to keep other players involved.

I already posted that we'd look at adding settings so people could override some of this behavior, but it would only be available while playing out the games to give the user more control. If you're playing single player career mode and throwing for 8000 yards to one receiver using user created players, then I don't really have a problem with it. For sandbox/multiyear simulations, or for multiplayer online play, we have to stick to more realistic results.

I’m playing out each game with my own created plays designed for each player . So if I want my starting RB who happens to have a good hands to go short out and catch the ball then I don’t want to see my backup RB who has terrible hands to come in and execute that play which was not designed for him. I think there should be some notification that sub took place so I can plan accordingly. Knowing that the sub took place I’d select a play that is better suited for player that came in.
Anyway, good to read that you’re looking at adding settings to override this behaviour. Fingers crossed.
Invisible Witness

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2021 General Discussion