Newbie (probably dumb) questions

Newbie (probably dumb) questions

Postby BigPoppaPump » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:28 pm

Greetings ladies and gentlemen,

Necessary preamble: Great game!
I am actually quite new to the world of American football (mostly a hockey fan-- I am French Canadian, so it is to be expected I suppose), but started getting into football last year with COVID giving me all kinds of free time on my hands to explore new hobbies. Started watching the NFL on a full time basis for the first time in my life last year and I am really loving the game (don't know why I never tried sooner).

Anyways, I've always loved text based simulator games (everything from gladiatorial combat games, pro-wrestling to more legit sports manager games) and I have tried FOF 8 as well. While this game may not exactly match FOF pound for pound in ALL the options, I do like the 2-D engine in this game; it gives you a real visualization of what is actually going on during games, every step of the way. FOF only has a tiny screen with a football that moves around to show you where you are on the field and you have to read text for every play to follow the action.

Thank the Gods for the kind souls such as yourselves who give us an actual franchise - management experience whereas Madden continues it's fad of being more arcade than simulation every year.
I bought Madden 21 (never again until I see some real improvements in the reviews and player feedback) and was horribly dissapointed with the franchise mode (too dumb and inexperienced in this sport to notice the ridiculous stats and gameplay as well though). I quickly got bored after only a few hours into the franchise mode.

Anyways, like how DDSPF21 is going moreso the treating players as people (with personalities) with agency route as opposed to mindless pawns on a board who follow all your whims like a master puppeteer. Keeping players happy and trying to have a positive environment with your franchise should be equally important as being on the cutting edge of strategy - play calling.

I like that you sometimes see players complain in public about their team's management and may not automatically resign with you if they did not enjoy their experiece with your franchise (or your constant crap standings bother the more ambitious - performance interested players). I hope that DDS keeps going in that direction in future installments. I wouldn't mind seeing off the field factors that pop up and force you to deal with them as well (i.e. scandals that cause a player to be toxic and that force you to make a decision to either play him or get rid of him as bad PR might damage your revenue, addiction problems, fights - beefs between players on the roster that might damage chemistry - cohesion etc.). Random events that may pop up (depending on player personalities clashing, etc.) would make the game more immersive.

I also hope that the economics - management aspects get more fleshed out: the player needs to keep an eye on ticket sales, TV deals, needs to spend on marketing etc. Some franchises have bigger markets and can afford the big name contracts whereas smaller franchises need to be more tactful in their signings and contracts. Losing money every year may lead to a relocation, etc.

Just a few ideas.

Good stuff so far!

Just a few questions right off the top of my head (issues that are dragging down the game for me :mad: :confused: ):

1 - How do you return players on the injured - reserve list back to the active roster?

I noticed that (in the roster management section) you can bring back players from the practice squad; there is an extra button beside the red release button that gives you the option of returning the player.
However, when it comes to the reserve injured list, you only have a release button that gets rid of the player for good. There is no other available button when you highlight a player's name for movement and/or actions in the injured reserved list.
I mistakingly assumed (learned the hard way when I lost a valued player) that the only red release button option meant 'release the player back to the active roster.'

2 - Can you manually set a mentor - mentee / student relationship or does this just happen organically in the game on it's own for players of a similar position?
I do not see an option to do so beyond the icons that represent mentor candidates (veteran players, etc.).
I am about 5 games into the regular season and I have noticed that the CPU controlled teams have these relationships already in effect (it is clearly stated that some of their players are being mentored by another player with blue icons on the roster list). I assumed that perhaps the same thing would happen to me, however, no change as of yet. I can still see the same players listed as mentors, but no relationships have yet started.

3 - What to do when out of players for a certain position?

Again, 5 games in and most of my DTs are out injured (I always try to have a lot of players for the most brutal positions such as RB, etc.).
I cannot advance to the next game because I do not have the sufficient amount of personnel for that position.
I do not seem to have the option of signing a quick free agent to my team to cover this temporary gap. I'm basically stuck here and cannot go forward.
I even tried throwing in players from other positions into those holes (even with ony minor experience or no experience playing that position) and I still get the notice preventing me from starting a new game.
Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch and keep doing what you guys are doing!
BigPoppaPump

Re: Newbie (probably dumb) questions

Postby BigPoppaPump » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:38 pm

4 - Economics - Player value.

I set up a fictional, 66 team (30 games a piece season) league that is set in North America (with CFL teams and Mexico league teams incorporated into the NFL).
I played with the financials to make the financials more as they are today (200 million salary cap, 510K minimum signing for draftees, Maximum of 20 million for draftees, maximum of 50 million for regular players.)
I am seeing some wonky things out there: Patrick Mahomes gets a 9 million dollar deal (overall 100 QB) and then undrafted free agents (rated between 30 - 50...crappy players) are demanding 4 - 8 million dollars for 1 year deals (teams are signing these agents for these ridiculous sums). What?!! Can someone explain the reasoning behind this...

5 - Offsides catches.

I often see players (WRs mostly) actually leaving the field (you can no longer see them on the screen) making catches and the catch being valid (even though they were clearly out of bounds). This has happened a few times in a few of the games I have played.
BigPoppaPump

Postby AKH » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:31 am

Hi bigpoppa and welcome :)

Here are some quick fire replies to your questions:
1) You cant move players back from IR. The game is currently operating with the 'old' designation used by NFL, where they had to sit out the rest of the season once they went to IR. Cant promise the new rules, where they can return (I think week 10?) will make it into the 22 version, but its on our mind.

2) You can set mentoring from the player card (on the BIO page, if memory serves)

3) In season you can sign free agents from their player card (goto Search -> free agents to find them)

4) Contract demands are based on what theyve previously got, what other players are getting, and your financial settings. Ill suggest you tinker a bit more.

5) yeah sometimes the animation is wonky, when they are on the sideline.

As for the other comment you have:
Expanded financials is a popular request, we consider variations on this for every version, but its safe to say things such as concession stands, prices and stadium management is not a high priority in our vision of immediate future versions of the game.
What, on the other hand, IS a big priority and something you will see more of is the personality, media and other immersion-generating additions. Additions in this domain are already planned for the 22 version.
AKH

Postby BigPoppaPump » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:12 pm

Thanks a bunch for the responses AKH!

Yes, after some research: the present NFL rules allow players on the injured reserve list to return to the active team roster after a minimum of 3 weeks.
Now that I know that players are stuck on there all season, I will think twice (I was putting players on the list for sprained wrists lol because I figured I could just pop them back on after a game or two...didn't want to risk a minor injury becoming serious forcing them to play...especially only for regular games - pre season games early on in the season).

Much appreciated!

Between economics and more immersion generating elements (i.e. expanding on player behavior, personalities, random media stories, etc.), I would go with immersion. Economics would be something nice to have down the road though.
I like what you guys have got going on so far. I spent half my day yesterday playing the thing, so there must be some magic in there somewhere. :D I will be keeping my eye on your future installments.. I'm even thinking of giving the College variation a run at some point as well.
BigPoppaPump

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2021 General Discussion