Skip a season?

Skip a season?

Postby gplehner » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:15 am

We started a league file in 2015. Our league didn't run a 2020 season, but we plan on continuing with 2021, thus we were hoping to be able to 'skip' simming the 2020 season, or to change the current season somehow to 2021. Effectively we want to pretend like the year didn't exist (we can only dream, right?) and since it is all fantasy, we can live in that dream.

It would seem the only way to make this happen is to create a new league file (set its Starting Year to 2021) and import our players back in. This keeps the player data and their performance values, but unfortunately we lose all of the historical team/player data - and then I'll have 16 different gms messaging me asking why we are hiding important data from them...

We know we can edit exported CSV/HTML files to 'pretend' it is 2021, combine new and old data outside the sim... but it starts to look like a huge chore when all we want to do is pretend the year is 2021 instead of 2020.

Any ideas?

This is a pretty niche "need," but it seems that you get one chance to set the year when you create the league file, and then you must go in order from that year.
gplehner

Re: Skip a season?

Postby AKH » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:12 am

probably the most desirable solution is export all players then sim season 2020, then import all players again to reset any changes / retirements etc.
2020 will still "exist" though.
AKH

Postby gplehner » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:17 pm

Sorry for the delay. The workflow I followed:

- Before 2020 season, export all players to a.json file
- Run the 2020 season.
- End 2020 and advance season to 2021
- On the "2021 Season Start' commissioners office screen, Import All Players back

I couldn't get this to work. It wouldn't overwrite any changes; players that had moved to new teams by the sim would stay on their new teams, even if the box to 'place on existing team' was checked or unchecked. It also triggered unexpected retirements, which is undesirable. Can you check my workflow?
gplehner

Postby gplehner » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:06 am

Also in the process of testing this learned that you can't change a team's name without it overwriting ALL records data with the new name. It would be nice if it didn't do this.

To compare what I mean, imagine from the Commissioners Office page going into the Configure Teams page and updating the Washington (WAS) "Redsk*ns" team name and initials with Washington (WFT) "Football Team" in an NFL league file. It would now show up as "Football Team" or WFT in every record dating back to when the team was founded, despite that not being its name back then. Or every Raiders record ever set took place in Las Vegas.
gplehner

Postby brooks_piggott » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:58 pm

When you import it overwrites existing players that match on ID, so it won't put them back on any given team. It just updates ratings at that point. I'm struggling to come up with a technical way of skipping a season without breaking things.
brooks_piggott

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2021 General Discussion