Changes to the Player Screen

Changes to the Player Screen

Postby KW77 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:40 pm

First of all, the game looks pretty nice!

There are a couple things I'd like to see corrected on this screen however:

1) The floor range/ball actions % are really difficult to see at a glance without the actual %s written out, especially when they are shades of the same color. They look nice, but it was much more functional in 19, seen below.

2) I see that potentials aren't visible anymore. Is it possible to make those visible like they are in the older versions, or at least allow the commissioner toggle that visibility? Seems like an odd thing to take away.

KW77

Re: Changes to the Player Screen

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:54 pm

Ok I will start with the easy one - the potentials I took away and it was a design decision on my part not only for the aesthetics of the screen but also in how I feel the game should be presented. I don't think its realistic to know and/or display the potential of a player in categories. Like if you look at a young player you would say based on his overall skills that you think he has the potential to improve (hence the overall potential still being there) but I don't think you look at that player and say "well he looks like the kind of kid who has about 10% more upside in ball handling but his passing is as good as it will ever be". You might think he could improve more at ball handling than passing but you would think that because you see a real deficiency in ball handling and just assume there is more room to get better in that area. I would also expect though that if he was improving in ball handling he would also have room to improve in passing too but maybe for him that just isn't the case. I don't think there is any way you can look at a player and say "yup, he's one of those" which is what the potentials in categories allow. It also allows going against realism in training camp - if I know there is a big gap to fill in passing and none in defense then why would I put any effort in training defense but how could you know that in real life? At best you take a guess that could be the case which is what you can still do here based on evidence you have seen in terms of growth year over year in each category but I don't feel you should know that. I think having the knowledge that he still has potential (or that you think he does) is important and realistic but I don't think its realistic to know where.

Now on the other account that is just something that is different with the platform that the game is on now - the numbers do not appear unless you roll over the section of the pie (same was true in 2020) - what has changed from 2020 is that the color scheme now reflects the team colors instead of the static pie colors as 19 and 20 had. The change away from the static colors I made because it just looks much nicer and was taking away from the overall look of the card. I think in time people will relate the shades as much as they did the colors (if they did that at all). For example post will always be the darkest shade and getting lighter the further you move away from the basket. On the actions side the alternate team color will always represent pass and then the darkness of shade will always represent the same things. I think it will just take a little getting used to.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby KW77 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:14 pm

Makes sense on the potentials side... I'm looking at it from the point of view of being in a long running multiplayer league that has run in PB3 and PB19, where that info has been visible. Like I said, I think there should be a commissioner toggle for that. A simple if-then statement: if it's toggled off, it shows only "Current", if it's toggled on it shows "Current / Potential"

On the pie chart front: I don't think it's intuitive at all. The pie charts look cool, agreed, but even in the PB19 layout, I'm just focused on the numbers.

It's a much bigger problem on the ball actions side where most of the wedges are pretty small. The difference between 1% catch and shoot and 2% catch and shoot is literally double the amount of catch and shoot attempts, and you really can't see the difference from looking at the pie chart. Also hovering over those wedges were kind of finicky- I could only get the pop up to show up when hovering over particular spots on the wedge, and couldn't get pop ups on the small wedges at all.

I really don't see the issue with putting the percentages on the screen given all the white space on either side of the pie charts.
KW77

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:25 pm

It's not an issue of having space it's an issue that the chart does not function in that way (at least not that I have found yet). If I am able to find a way to do it I will - I will try to look to see if there is some way I can work around how those headers are built in
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby KW77 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:36 pm

Gary Gorski wrote:It's not an issue of having space it's an issue that the chart does not function in that way (at least not that I have found yet). If I am able to find a way to do it I will - I will try to look to see if there is some way I can work around how those headers are built in

Ok cool thanks. If that doesn't work as part of the chart, I suppose they could simply get the values separate from the chart, just a thought
KW77

Postby Rizzo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:23 pm

With potentials no longer visible, does this make the coaching staff’s scouting rating that much more important as they give scouting reports for each player?
Rizzo

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:23 pm

Well the way things are calculated hasn't changed so their input in the potential is the same as it was before - the only real difference is now you just have a general overview of if the player has room to get better and by how much with his overall potential as opposed to knowing specifically where he might improve. I also thinks this makes it a little more challenging on the player...maybe you have a 4 star potential guy and he's a 2.5 right now and you're hoping for a big boost in scoring. If you don't know where the gains are then you have to hold onto him and see how he develops as opposed to knowing that his biggest areas of improvement might be defense and rebounding and then you trading him because of that.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby Tim Plum » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:25 pm

Rizzo wrote:With potentials no longer visible, does this make the coaching staff’s scouting rating that much more important as they give scouting reports for each player?

I do see the potentials in the trade players screen.
Tim Plum
Elite Member

Postby Gary Gorski » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:18 pm

knew I forgot to clear them out somewhere - thanks Tim.

also for KW77 I have found a workaround that would allow me to display the percentages as text in the key (although if you hover over the slices the label will repeat itself like Post (67%) : 67) but I think there's really not much reason to hover over them if the info is displayed on the screen so we will go with it for now and see how it works.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2021 FirstAccess