Game logic questions

Game logic questions

Postby Mwilliams01 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:54 pm

First off, I really like the improvements in the UI, league rumors, and stats! While simming, I've noticed a couple of unique details that I'm not sure are glitches or designed for a deeper purpose.

1. I started as the GM of the Cavs in Challenge Mode. During the very first free agency, Anthony Davis opts out of his player option with the Lakers and hits the market. Not a surprise - but what WAS surprising were the rumors that the Lakers were low balling him and offering a contract valued at a little over $80k. I immediately renounced the rights to some FAs and traded a large contract to free up space in order to offer him a max deal. I didn't think I would get him (we're a losing team and the Lakers won the championship), and I assumed the rumor was wrong, but to my surprise I signed him! My questions: why did the Lakers low ball? Is this a glitch in the game or showing that some GMs are just dumber than others?

2. That same free agency, I sign D.J. Augustine to the league minimum to add some depth to my team. My PGs on my roster are Darius Garland (2.5/3.5 rating), Tyrese Haliburton (5th overall pick, 2.5/3.5 rating), and Augustine (2.0/2.0 rating). Augustine is the best traditional PG due to his ball handling and passing but Garland and Haliburton have tons of upside and youth. But Augustine has been the starting PG all season - and has done a great job! If this is by design then I'm happy because an issue with previous versions was that the AI didn't pay attention to skills and often times made bizarre roster decisions. But I am still surprised by this choice since it's such a departure from previous versions and because of the talented youth on the roster. I'd love to hear more about how the AI makes these choices.

3. Paul Millsap, another league minimum signing, has been the starting SF all season. To me, that seems like another odd roster decision by the AI. And I know in past games the AI would start bigs at SF a lot - even 7'0 Cs. Is there a way to tweak this so that these position choices are more realistic?

Again, I love what you're doing with the game. Thanks for all your hard work!
Mwilliams01

Re: Game logic questions

Postby Gary Gorski » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:16 pm

Mwilliams01 wrote:First off, I really like the improvements in the UI, league rumors, and stats! While simming, I've noticed a couple of unique details that I'm not sure are glitches or designed for a deeper purpose.

1. I started as the GM of the Cavs in Challenge Mode. During the very first free agency, Anthony Davis opts out of his player option with the Lakers and hits the market. Not a surprise - but what WAS surprising were the rumors that the Lakers were low balling him and offering a contract valued at a little over $80k. I immediately renounced the rights to some FAs and traded a large contract to free up space in order to offer him a max deal. I didn't think I would get him (we're a losing team and the Lakers won the championship), and I assumed the rumor was wrong, but to my surprise I signed him! My questions: why did the Lakers low ball? Is this a glitch in the game or showing that some GMs are just dumber than others?

2. That same free agency, I sign D.J. Augustine to the league minimum to add some depth to my team. My PGs on my roster are Darius Garland (2.5/3.5 rating), Tyrese Haliburton (5th overall pick, 2.5/3.5 rating), and Augustine (2.0/2.0 rating). Augustine is the best traditional PG due to his ball handling and passing but Garland and Haliburton have tons of upside and youth. But Augustine has been the starting PG all season - and has done a great job! If this is by design then I'm happy because an issue with previous versions was that the AI didn't pay attention to skills and often times made bizarre roster decisions. But I am still surprised by this choice since it's such a departure from previous versions and because of the talented youth on the roster. I'd love to hear more about how the AI makes these choices.

3. Paul Millsap, another league minimum signing, has been the starting SF all season. To me, that seems like another odd roster decision by the AI. And I know in past games the AI would start bigs at SF a lot - even 7'0 Cs. Is there a way to tweak this so that these position choices are more realistic?

Again, I love what you're doing with the game. Thanks for all your hard work!

1. Each team operates on the constraints of its ownership as well as the skill of the GM. Owners are randomized by default unless you turn that off so its possible that LA got randomized a cheap owner who did not prioritize winning and therefore lowballed him. There is also the possibility for the GM to have low ratings and be a less than stellar evaluator of talent but I would say in this case that would not be the issue. Each player also has a hidden "friendship" rating in the game and its a possibility that Davis had a great friend on your team and the combo of that plus way more money was enough to make him jump.

2. This could be a factor of your head coach's ratings. If he is a coach that prefers veteran players he just might give the edge to an established vet over unproven young players if its a toss up. Now he's not going to pick DJA over a 4 star rookie probably but if its close he absolutely could go with the veteran.

3. The players in the default file are given their positional depth assignments based on playing a certain number of minutes at that position. Millsap actually played 11% of his minutes at small forward this past season and 20% the prior season so if you signed Davis to be the 4 I totally would see playing Millsap as the 3 as opposed to him hardly getting any minutes at all as a backup 4. You can change this if you want to by switching the login to the commissioner and then going to any team's depth chart, clicking on a player and turning on/off positional tabs at the bottom.

BTW if you want to see the minutes played by position here is the link for you

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... ml#all_pbp
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2021 FirstAccess