Updated NBA Rosters

Re: Updated NBA Rosters

Postby Rizzo » Mon May 10, 2021 1:00 pm

Grab the newest update and will be using it in my Let's Play video stream starting today! I'll be sure to shoot you a mention and drop a link in the video description!
Rizzo

Postby kicknbuckets » Thu May 13, 2021 1:18 am

I've submitted a support ticket about the draft picks issue and I'll post something here if it unearths how to go about updating them (or just confirms it's not possible). It's a surprise this wasn't correct at the game's release, though. Accumulating picks is a pretty big part of the NBA re-build strategy.

With regards any errors in the roster you uploaded, the only stuff I've noticed is relating to the buy out market - the Nets have a pretty interesting cap situation with Blake Griffin still making $30m+, but that will resolve itself at the end of the season, and doesn't seem to have any problematic effects anyway; I'm not sure if the AI team owner is getting annoyed at the AI coach. I'm guessing worst case scenario they become less willing to spend into the luxury next season, but judging from what I've seen in the default.db, it seems that the owner characteristics (like willingness to spend) are fixed.
kicknbuckets

Postby hansmellman » Thu May 13, 2021 4:37 am

Yeah I'd be interested to know mate.

The buy out issue, is that in the latest version of the database? As I'd gone back and changed all the buyout info after Rizzo mentioned it to me in the GM Games discord and re upped the database at the original link. If it's still an issue I can take another look. I havent touched any owner characteristics either!
hansmellman

Postby kicknbuckets » Thu May 13, 2021 9:13 pm

When I click the link you shared at the beginning of the post, it says that the file has been deleted, so I'm just running with that first version you uploaded. I made a few time-consuming changes (putting in stats on some of the Raptors so their rating was more realistic - which works quite well, although has some issues when used on a player that only took part in a handful of games (e.g. rookies), especially if they scored a tonne during garbage time), so it'll be easier for me to just update the numbers myself, I guess. That said, copying and pasting entire rows in DB browser is pretty simple.

Yeah, I haven't touched the owner characteristics, but all of their stats like willingness to spend, desire for superstars etc., was all updated in the NBA realworld mod. I've just left them as is in my games; I don't know the first thing about them irl and so far I've played mainly in Universe Mode so I guess I'm not being judged against those stats like I would be in Challenge Mode.

I'll check out the discord, too, if there are some interesting discussions going on over there.
kicknbuckets

Postby hansmellman » Fri May 14, 2021 3:13 am

That's strange, I just tried the link again and it still brings the database up for me to download from Dropbox.

Yeah, I did an edit for last years game after the suspension to update Rookies, Sophmore breakouts and MIP candidates, considering doing the same this year maybe towards the end of the season, It can be quite time consuming getting all the stats but I quite enjoy it once I'm in the flow of it, plus if it makes for a more true to current life sim then im all for it! Gary did say that there's a threshold of GP that if a player falls below then the game will try to mediate out his ratings more modestly to offset a good performance in a small sample size but I suppose it can depend on just HOW small the sample size is.

Yeah definitely worth checking their discord!

Edit - Here's the discord invite from the main forum thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31268

If you're still having issues with the corrected DB then hit me up via PM on the discord and i'll just transfer you the DB im using now if you like, I've updated a couple of other players like Lamelo and Michael Porter Jr. :D
hansmellman

Postby kicknbuckets » Tue May 18, 2021 12:39 am

hansmellman wrote:That's strange, I just tried the link again and it still brings the database up for me to download from Dropbox.

The download link is working fine now. Not sure what was going on there. Thanks for checking, though.

Yeah, I've done something similar, updating players that broke out etc. and anyone that didn't feel quite right in the game (it did hurt a little to bring Pascal Siakam's shooting stats back in line with reality). Tough to know who to update and how to do it this year with all of the health and safety protocols. I'm not sure what effect reduced playing time has on the way the game generates players. Reduced endurance, perhaps?

No kidding on the "time-consuming" front. I've been getting a fair bit done while watching the irl games, during the timeouts. I guess the new version of the game isn't likely to release until November or so, and so I figured it's worth putting a little time in to get some more enjoyment from the only basketball game I'll be playing between then and now. I'm a bit of a stat nerd anyway, so tend to enjoy digging around in the numbers.

Now I'm looking to find where/how the game determine a player's status in free agency, i.e. restricted or unrestricted. For some reason, Gary Trent Jr. is entering unrestricted free agency when he should be restricted. That's the last piece I need to put in place to get my Raptors Rebuild feeling right. But I can't figure out where the info is stored... there certainly doesn't appear to be anything in the playercreation.db. I've tried comparing the db entries for players that have their restricted free agency status reflected in the game (e.g. Lonzo Ball) but can't see any differences.
kicknbuckets

Postby hansmellman » Tue May 18, 2021 7:51 am

You know, now that you mention it, I'm not sure what influences Endurance. I had always assumed that the Minutes played total and MPG and GP went into determining if the engine needed to mediate a players statistics to make his sample size more realistic if he had over performed in a short space of time to stop a garbage time guy from appearing like a stud and conversely to spread out a players performance over the course of a year if he's only played a handful of games and not impacted things much. There's also all of the player traits that are shown on the player profile tab too such as Durability etc so that must all be determined outside of the database. I know Gary has a lot of other factors that arent accessible that go into influencing potential etc.

In last year's DB I added Ky Bowman as he was missing from the original NBA mod and used a mixture of his College stats and what limited NBA stats he had available at the time and it turned him into an absolute monster....you live and learn!

Yeah i'm not sure about that, I know the bird rights and EXCEPTION stuff is on the DB but nothing to do with restricted or unrestricted as far as I ever could tell. DId you ever get a response from the support ticket regarding draft picks etc? Perhaps the contract stuff could be asked at the same time. You could also try joining the WS Slack channel and asking Gary on there I guess, i've messaged about a couple of things to do with the game and he always comes back.

I cant claim to be that much of a stats expert to be honest, this DB editing has taken me through the looking glass with it. How did you know the dunk rate calculation? Is that a common advanced stat term? I couldnt find anything just from googling that term and had to end up getting the calc explained to me lol. The most time consuming bit is that all of the stats are stored on different dashboards so you're forever flicking from one set to the next and everytime having to put in the individual player name again as NBA.com doesnt retain it when you switch windows. Do you pull them all from NBA.com and BR? That's what i'd been using but if you're into advanced stats I'd be keen to know if they're better collected anywhere else.
hansmellman

Postby pianoman2209 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:13 pm

I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your hard work to do this and share it with us. Very kind of you. I have the game on Steam. I just found where the steam files for the game are stored and it asked me if I want to overwrite the original file and I said yes. So I now can see your playercreation.db on my C drive. However when I clicked on "New League" under Sandbox mode I am not sure what to do at this point. I am a rookie to this game so sorry if this is obvious and I appreciate your patience. Of the 5 options where it says "Choose Your Roster Source" when I tried the default season start I was not seeing current rosters. I'm a Knicks fan and Rose for example and Gibson were not on the roster. If you would be so kind as to walk me through how to play with the up to date rosters you so kindly created I would really appreciate it! Thanks!!
pianoman2209

Postby hansmellman » Wed May 19, 2021 4:15 am

pianoman2209 wrote:I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your hard work to do this and share it with us. Very kind of you. I have the game on Steam. I just found where the steam files for the game are stored and it asked me if I want to overwrite the original file and I said yes. So I now can see your playercreation.db on my C drive. However when I clicked on "New League" under Sandbox mode I am not sure what to do at this point. I am a rookie to this game so sorry if this is obvious and I appreciate your patience. Of the 5 options where it says "Choose Your Roster Source" when I tried the default season start I was not seeing current rosters. I'm a Knicks fan and Rose for example and Gibson were not on the roster. If you would be so kind as to walk me through how to play with the up to date rosters you so kindly created I would really appreciate it! Thanks!!

Just going to post my response to your PM here in case it can help anyone else who may have an issue.

I'll try. I dont own the game on steam so I'm just going off what someone else has shared with a different mod for the directory but basically you want to cut/copy the playercreation.db file into here i think -

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Draft Day Sports Pro Basketball 2021\app\data

That screen should contain all of the database files for the game and will likely look like this - https://imgur.com/nBczauF

Once that has been done, you want to open up the game and select 'New League' and then 'Challenge Mode or Sandbox mode' and 'default season start' as shown here -

https://imgur.com/6OtaLbE

Because you've replaced the default database with the new and edited database it should bring up the new rosters.

I've just followed those exact steps and started a game as the Knicks and I am seeing the updated roster, so I can only presume that you have not saved the database file in the correct area yet. Here is what I am seeing, as you can see there is D.Rose, Gibson etc -

https://imgur.com/VWxPKt1

Hopefully by following these steps you're able to get it to work.

Cheers

Tom
hansmellman

Postby kicknbuckets » Fri May 28, 2021 12:29 am

hansmellman wrote:In last year's DB I added Ky Bowman as he was missing from the original NBA mod and used a mixture of his College stats and what limited NBA stats he had available at the time and it turned him into an absolute monster....you live and learn!

Apologies for the late reply; it has been a busy week! I've just had the "accidental monster" problem with Jalen Harris. He's the Raptors' second rnd pick from the last draft and isn't in the base game, so I had to create him. Using either his college stats alone, some combo of his college/nba stats, or just his nba stats in a very limited number of games, and I'm getting player who has a higher star rating (both current and potential) than players who should be ahead of him in the rotation. I guess the issue is that he had quite a few high scoring games in reality, and got decent minutes with the Raptors tanking, but you couldn't expect this kind of production if there was more on the line (he wouldn't even be in the rotation, I suspect). Easy enough to jump in as the commissioner and rein him in a little by altering his ratings, though. There are always going to be outliers, and I think the game does a good job of generating players from their stats. Football Manager just has hard coded ratings out of 20, so while it's pretty time-consuming to input the stats with this game, the result is very good for the most part, and is much more objective way of doing it rather than gut feeling ratings; I'm sure nobody would take issue with a gut feeling telling you to rate Curry at 99 for outside shooting, but it becomes impossible on a league-wide basis.

hansmellman wrote:Yeah i'm not sure about that, I know the bird rights and EXCEPTION stuff is on the DB but nothing to do with restricted or unrestricted as far as I ever could tell. DId you ever get a response from the support ticket regarding draft picks etc? Perhaps the contract stuff could be asked at the same time. You could also try joining the WS Slack channel and asking Gary on there I guess, i've messaged about a couple of things to do with the game and he always comes back.

There was no response to my support ticket re the draft picks. It has been in "processing" for 18 days now so you'll have to forgive my cynicism for no longer expecting I'll ever get a response. I've not used Slack before... perhaps you could let me know the details I'd need to join the channel (by PM if it's not something that should be posted openly in a forum). Maybe there's a better chance of getting an answer there. I can live with the other little quirks of the game but the draft picks situation is kinda killing it for me as I most enjoy rebuilds. The best solution I've been able to come up with is to play in Universe Mode, have the commissioner trade all of the picks (though you can only go as far as 2023 at the start of the game), then save a copy of the game at this point for later use. Then I can load up that copy of the save, have the commissioner create a new GM, delete the old one, and off I go. The downside is that you can't be fired in this mode, so far as I'm aware. So it takes away a dynamic I think is pretty important in this sort of game, i.e. the relationship with and pressure from ownership. Maybe I can learn to get over this, given that one of the "requirements" from Raptors ownership is to win their division, despite currently being the worst team in it with the Nets, 76ers, Celtics and even the Knicks all being better this season (I cannot put into words how much it hurt to write that, haha). So I'm not sure how attainable the goals are anyway.

hansmellman wrote:I cant claim to be that much of a stats expert to be honest, this DB editing has taken me through the looking glass with it. How did you know the dunk rate calculation? Is that a common advanced stat term? I couldnt find anything just from googling that term and had to end up getting the calc explained to me lol.

I'm a Brit and grew up with football/soccer, which until recently has perhaps been the least stat-centric of all the major sports; so I've always liked the numbers side of basketball just for how different it is from my "main" sport (which incidentally has been relegated to second over the years). I didn't manage to get anywhere with Googling "dunk rate" either. Closest I managed to find is the dunks as %FGA on Basketball Reference, which so far as I'm aware is the only commonly measured advanced metric of that kind. Did you say you'd had the dunk rate calculation explained to you? I'd love to know how to do the calculation myself.

hansmellman wrote:The most time consuming bit is that all of the stats are stored on different dashboards so you're forever flicking from one set to the next and everytime having to put in the individual player name again as NBA.com doesnt retain it when you switch windows. Do you pull them all from NBA.com and BR? That's what i'd been using but if you're into advanced stats I'd be keen to know if they're better collected anywhere else.

I'm also using NBA and BR. And, yeah! Incredibly time consuming. I've resorted to just having a tonne of tabs open, filtered by team so that quite a few players I'm editing are showing on the same screen, rather than doing it on a player-by-player basis (no way to do this on BR, though). I'm guessing that Wolverine are bringing in the vast majority of the data by API (I know NBA.com supports this, but not sure about BR). I don't know of any better source, I'm afraid. I'd say BR is widely considered the "Gold Standard" of stats, so to speak, albeit I do actually prefer the interface on NBA.com, and it's updated quicker. If there was enough interest, I'd be happy to share the load and play my part in creating a community-made roster. It'd be great if someone from Wolverine could answer the questions surrounding the use of custom rosters, though. I'm sure that'd make things a bit easier. There have been a fair few forum posts around this topic but I've never seen an answer.
kicknbuckets

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2021 Mods