So... What do you think of the game?

So... What do you think of the game?

Postby Chris » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:02 pm

I think a lot of people post about a hiccup they're having and focus on writing those kinds of posts here.. but what about what you guys think of the new DDSPB21?

How about some comments on how you think these guys did? Personally I worked a long time on the pro photo pack, I think the game player cards and changes around the computer AI have made this easily the best basketball sim of the season and likely the most sophisticated ever made.

Cheers, Chris.
Last edited by Chris on Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Re: So... What do you guys think of the game?

Postby abziani » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:36 pm

Chris....if you allow me tomorrow I am going to write a review from my point of view. I have been playing this franchise since the original DDSPB and it is going to be a pleasure.
abziani

Postby Aton837 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:12 pm

I love this game. I enjoy this game more than NBA2K MyLeague's. A deeper G league experience was always what I wanted to play in a GM game. This is the best GM game I have ever played and I'm glad Wolverine Studios exist. Thanks for making this game! I'll always be a fan to Wolverine Studios. The mods are the best things I can ask for to make this as realistic as possible. Thanks Gary and Slybulle for making the mods.
Aton837

Postby abziani » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:29 pm

I have been playing the DDSPB series since the original one in 2003 (I think that is the year). Last year version was incredible with some small issues that really didn´t matter eventually. Gary made the impossible. DDSPB21 is absolutely amazing. I didn´t take part in the First Access because I was really not sure if this game could be better than the older version....and it is. I downloaded the demo and right after bought my version at Steam. I am having an incredible time. The new trade system is very great and the MODs complete the experience as well. I definitely recommend this version to all "managers to be".
The community is helping with great tips and Gary is doing his best (as always) to improve this amazing game even more. Congrats to everybody who took part in the First Access too.
Thank you so much Gary for developing this wonderful series.
abziani

Re: So... What do you think of the game?

Postby slaphappy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:33 am

I Have a small glitch that prevents me from playing without internet.( working on it I hope) But like with all games from this company it gets better the longer you play! I wasn't even a basketball fan until I started playing the college game.. just incredibly well done. So I bought the pro version. Being able to link the two might be the most exciting thing I've done in simulation sports,

I have maybe 2 hours of play time but I know this is going to be epic!
slaphappy

Postby Qrashman » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:37 pm

I'm absolutely floored by the depth and cohesiveness of this game. I haven't played for a few years but I started playing way back in like 2003 or 2004 (my forum account dates back to 2006, IIRC we switched to a new forum in late 2006) and although the spirit of the game remains pretty similar, the overall game is a masterpiece.

I will absolutely be playing this for a long time.
Qrashman

Postby rilokiley » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:16 pm

Its the best Basketball Sim there exist.

But for people, who have high standards like Football Manager or Out of the Park Baseball, this game is far away from it.

Still, the game is great... for a Basketball Sim.

Lots of little issues like performance, quality of life annoyances (incomplete roster, stats not being filterable, etc.). This game will probably never have 3D presentation of the game, which is okay, but the current 2D presentation is hard to follow. I either read the Boxscores or the ticker. The jerseys on the court maybe needs to be replaced with faces with jerseys, i dont know. But then i personally just simulate the game and read about the boxscores afterwards.

The best thing is the rotation matrix, but there needs to be more tools with information and stats about it OR the 2D presentation has to be attractive enough, that i like to follow the games, so i can remember what happens in the game.

Without following the 2D games, you rely heavily on the stats, the games provide to analyze what your team has done. And the stats can be expanded like i just want to see the stats of the last game or last 4 games, since i changed my rotation and strategy and see how many drives or catch and shoots, etc. a specific player has done. Now these stats are not necessary, if i would follow the game in 2D, because then i can recall from my memory, how my team played.

I just had a test season with Dallas and could trade an Allstar Squad. Ok, Dallas has still their 1st round picks they traded in real life to NY, so there is a little headstart.

But my team turn out to be Doncic, Klay Thompson, Jonathan Isaac, Porzingis and Brook Lopez. Then i had Draymond Greene, Marcus Smart, TJ Mcconnell, Dorian Finney Smith, Jaden MCDaniels, Wesley Matthews on the Bench. As you can see i added a lot of Elite Defenders and shooters for Doncic.

I gave up 2 First Round Picks, but had 3 Second Picks each from Indiana, GSW, Milwaukee for the next 3 years. The first 10 players of the Team had at least 2+ more years of contract and J.Isaac already signed the extension of about 75 million for 3 years starting next year. So the Team is set to compete for at least 2+years, not needing the 2 First Round Picks at all, that i traded away.

Draymond Greene is a tough fit for any rotation/system to be honest, and thats what i like about the game. I started him obviously, but he turned out to be a negative asset. I tried to transfer him, but lots of teams shied away from his contract, which i also like. I think the 1st Round Picks of Dallas were overvalued by the other Teams, but maybe it was just this session. On the other hand, when you can make a trade work, you can always just add all their 2nd round picks. They carry so low value, that they seem to always willing to give them to you.

Still i think the 2D presentation needs to be more exciting, so that i would enjoy the game in 2D. Thats why i just prefer to sim the game and read the boxscore afterwards. I just make my conclusions and assumptions because of the boxscores, +/- and the rotation then.

Overall its by far the best basketball sim, but i still decided against buying it.

I dont want to sound to negative, because i love the game so far, but i feel like there is not enough to do/manage if you compare it to the other management games. When i had my trades done and my team was set, all i did was simulating games, then look at the boxscore and my rotation. I wasnt changing my strategy anymore. This was all i did until the Allstar Break, when the Demo ran out. But probably would do the same until the end of the season, replace injured players in the rotation and then simulate the game.

I think for a management game, there needs to be more to do. Maybe a Matchplan is interesting to prepare for every specific game. Maybe define training sessions, when the team has a couple of days off. Maybe have a Road Tour plan, when you have a couple of Away Games, where you can tell a player you rest him after a back2back game etc.

I dont know, but besides a more exciting 2D presentation, i wish there is more to do during the season.
rilokiley

Postby Gary Gorski » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:42 am

rilokiley wrote:I think for a management game, there needs to be more to do. Maybe a Matchplan is interesting to prepare for every specific game.

It sounds like you did not check the strategy page - there you can set specific defensive matchups for the next game as well as change your offensive play style as well.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby ripkobe » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:57 am

rilokiley wrote:Its the best Basketball Sim there exist.

I dont know, but besides a more exciting 2D presentation, i wish there is more to do during the season.

If compared to FM or OOTPB, the game's not as flashy or good at fleshing out the world outside the game, but in terms of simulation now its pretty top notch. What would you want to see added down the line? Recruiting options that you see in other games through farm leagues or the like have been fleshed out a good amount the past few iterations with the G League, and there are ways to link the college basketball iterations to this game. Strategy is something that can be changed on the fly, and certainly is useful to do. Breaking the AI with confusing trades can be done, sure, but that can be done honestly in pretty much any game, just a limitation of AI - I'd have to see the trades specifically, but I also think current season Draymond isn't rated too high in terms of stats. Klay I'm more surprised about, though missing last season could play a role for sure.
ripkobe

Postby kd_ritchie » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:23 pm

Downloaded it Thursday but only really got to play it this morning. Personally, I'm really liking it. I'm doing a fictional league and running as the San Antonio Outlaws. So far we are 16-6 and the simulation is honestly fantastic, having a great time.
kd_ritchie

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2021 General Discussion