What is a DBL Select Player?

What is a DBL Select Player?

Postby bblom23 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:55 pm

I see them next to a few prospects name in the scouting page. Couldn't find out what it meant.
bblom23

Re: What is a DBL Select Player?

Postby slybelle1 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:19 pm

I believe those are d-league "select" players. If I understand correctly, basically those are top notched athletes that are not eligible for NBA draft yet but want to improve their skills by being eligible for the d-league.
slybelle1
Elite Member

Postby Qrashman » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:12 am

slybelle1 wrote:I believe those are d-league "select" players. If I understand correctly, basically those are top notched athletes that are not eligible for NBA draft yet but want to improve their skills by being eligible for the d-league.

does that mean you can draft them but only put them in D-league?
Qrashman

Postby slybelle1 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:58 am

Someone can correct me, but basically these players will only play for D-League teams, you can't draft them through the NBA draft because they aren't eligible. When I looked at my NBA roster where I had a "select" player, they weren't listed at all in comparison to other D-league players you might assign where you would see the "DLG" designation next to their name. When I pulled up the D-league roster, the "select" player was shown but there was no option to recall him to the NBA, which sounds correct since they aren't eligible for the NBA...just the D-league.
slybelle1
Elite Member

Postby Chilikonkarne » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:02 am

Yes, those players can be drafted.

There are young players who refused to play in NCAA out of high school and sign with a D-League team.
It is a trend which is increasing in real life (same logic than players like Ball, Hampton who signed in Australia before the draft or Jennings in Italy back then).

At the end of the year, they can be drafted like the prospects out of NCAA.

The big advantage is you have a much better view of their talent/potential as they evolve in the D-League and you can access their stats and profile in detail.

In my first fictional draft, one player out of D-League made it to the top 5. This year, one guy is ripping competition with 31ppg a game and I could see him go top 3. But I believe in most cases, it should be relatively rare to have D-league prospects making the lottery.
Chilikonkarne

Postby slybelle1 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:27 am

i guess i should have been more clear, i meant they weren’t eligible to play in the nba while they were playing in the d league before being eligible for nba draft. but i guess ultimately that is one of the same since as you pointed out the draft is at the end of the year and they would be eligible then. i was more trying to refer to during the their time in the d league you couldn’t move them to the parent nba club like other d league assigned players,
slybelle1
Elite Member

Postby Gary Gorski » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:30 am

you guys have it right - they play one season in the d-league without being able to be called up to the pro league and then are eligible for the draft. After that they are just normal players who can be assigned back to the d-league if drafted or might end up in the d-league if they were not and then could be signed or called up by a team.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2021 General Discussion