What does really matter?

What does really matter?

Postby MunichF » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:34 pm

Hey guys,

I wonder, if really all the options I can make have an input to the game.
I am running the offensive strategy called Perimeter Focus.
I also have players they are good at 3-Pointer.
And of course I say in the live game, they should go for 3s.

But I don't see it. Most of the time a have less 3s than my opponent.
It does not seem that my team really cares about what I want.
Also in the defense. I dont see that anything i can do in the options has an effect to the game.

What do you think??
MunichF

Re: What does really matter?

Postby Gary Gorski » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:55 am

All of the choices you have available to you do impact the game but they're not going to turn players into something they are not. If your top offensive player is not a 3 point shooter then he's not going to suddenly start launching threes no matter what setting you choose - he might shoot more than he otherwise would but its still going to be a very small amount. This is where the floor range and ball actions are so important. If you want a team that is launching a huge amount of threes then you need to have players who have very high % in corner three and above the break three and have high % in catch & shoot and pull up jumper. Think of it this way - the strategy options will tweak what your players do but the biggest overall factor is the players themselves and that means how the player plays, not whether he has a high outside shooting rating. That just means he has a good chance of making one if he takes one - it does not mean he frequently shoots them.

As for defense your strategy page gives your four different styles of defense to play and there is a help button to explain those. You can also set general or individual assignments there for your top defensive players and of course while in game you have the control over factors like playing man vs zone, the intensity level you currently use, the matchups and whether or not to use full court defense. Again though if you have players who are poor defenders there is not a strategy that will make them better - you might be able to hide one bad defender using "switch" or hope to take advantage of a poor shooting team with "passive" but if you want to be a better defensive team you need players who are good defenders.

Players and their playing types mean EVERYTHING in the game - that is why roster construction is so important. It is not about finding just the highest rated overall players - its about finding the right players for your team.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Re: What does really matter?

Postby MunichF » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:12 am

Hey Gary,

thanks for your answer. That helps me a lot. Now I understand much more how the game works.

Some players have a low rating at outside shooting and a high rating at inside shooting. And I want to tell them: Don't shoot 3s. I run the team strategy Post Focus. And I give these players a personal strategy like Drive and Shoot more and Catch and Shoot less. I hope this is the right way I do it.
MunichF

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2021 General Discussion