Defensive Ability

Defensive Ability

Postby RockossmosD » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:45 pm

What is the full interpretation of this statistic? is it on ball perimeter, inside, or both? Help me out to understand, so I can coach better.
RockossmosD

Re: Defensive Ability

Postby StephGz » Wed May 05, 2021 12:42 pm

My understanding is the player's defensive ability in multiple scenarios. Now whether or not they have the size, endurance, court IQ etc to complete their defensive presence is another thing.
StephGz

Postby RockossmosD » Wed May 19, 2021 6:22 pm

@Gary if you are reading this, I would like to know your on why defensive ability is not split up. In my opinion maybe uninformed, I think it should be split up. Reason being sometimes I see players that have no business guarding a top tier post center being effective vs said center, when in real life they wouldn't be because guarding in the perimeter and paint are two different beasts. I hope to get some feedback and your thoughts on my assertions.
RockossmosD

Postby hansmellman » Thu May 20, 2021 3:51 am

I had wondered the same thing before, in last years developer dynasty someone did ask it during one of the live streams and if memory serves me correctly his response was that all player skill ratings are generated from real life advanced performance stats and as of this time there is no reliable metric for quantifying interior defence vs perimeter defence as opposed to just getting an idea of defensive ability as a whole but that if anyone had any ideas on how it could be done then to discuss it!

It was one of the later DD videos in the series!
hansmellman

Postby RockossmosD » Thu May 20, 2021 11:10 am

hansmellman wrote:I had wondered the same thing before, in last years developer dynasty someone did ask it during one of the live streams and if memory serves me correctly his response was that all player skill ratings are generated from real life advanced performance stats and as of this time there is no reliable metric for quantifying interior defence vs perimeter defence as opposed to just getting an idea of defensive ability as a whole but that if anyone had any ideas on how it could be done then to discuss it!

It was one of the later DD videos in the series!

honestly ill take an arbitrary eye test rating over the current system. Last night during my stream Nicholas Batum and Leonard were guarding my Vucevic with very high reliability in the paint. I understand maybe 2 or 3 possessions of success but 15-20 possession of success NAW! 100% needs to be separated because what happens is if a player has high enough "defensive ability" they essentially can cancel out a player that would otherwise have an advantage in particular area such as perimeter or interior. If there is a interior shot and a outside shot rating there needs to be an individual counter for both. NOW I understand my example is to real life mod but as a game I believe to properly simulate basketball there are players that have GREAT inside and outside defense and majority is either or, and it can be attributed to the eye test. YES it will take a lot of film ranking, but example Rudy Gobert is a great interior defender but on the perimeter he is a toddler learning how to walk vs guards the game doesn't currently see that because all it sees is "aw Rudy is a better defender than you are offensive player". I hope it can be looked at and experimented on to see results and community feedback maybe a trial version with the different stat and get peoples opinions. like the early access build has it and then if the feel is that it doesn't work remove it.
RockossmosD

Postby hansmellman » Sat May 22, 2021 4:49 am

I dont disagree that it causes issues having defence all rolled into one rating but I suppose that I cant speak to all of the other factors that may go into influencing a players defence when facing off against a player either inside or outside, such as size, weight, court IQ, endurance and current fatigue level etc etc. Perhaps this is something to bring up and discuss at length again with Gary when the developer dynasty begins for the next DDSPB! I'd be interested to see what the possibilities are.
hansmellman

Postby Farinata727 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:41 am

I always find it tough having tons of ratings to evaluate so I like the one stat for defense format
Farinata727

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2021 General Discussion