I don't understand the draft at all

I don't understand the draft at all

Postby muz » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:17 pm

The draft process is incredibly opaque and I would appreciate some assistance.

1. Why are there lottery-pick level players from the U.S. for whom I have no scouting report? I put 90+ points in each US region. How am I missing these players?
2. What do the scouting reports even mean? Like, what does it mean when a player is described as "one of the most athletic players?" Or in strengths, it will say that he is one of the best shooters and has unlimited range, but then in weaknesses it will say that his jumpshot is still a work in progress or that he struggles with consistency. It is really hard to understand what I even think I'm getting with a pick.
3. Why do the orange-highlighted suggestions on draft day not line up with my scout's assessment? There's a guy who my scouting team rated as 3 stars. I opened the player detail page and I think he had two stars. It said he had a good work ethic. But a different player was given the orange text, a guy rated as one star. I took the 3 star guy and lo and behold he was a one star player. Combine that with the mock drafts meaning very little, and should I assume that my scouts' numerical ratings are useless?
4. Does age matter for development purposes? There are a lot of 22 or 23 year olds who get drafted at the top of the draft on the basis of, say, a 2.5 star current rating and a 4 star potential rating. This would, of course, never happen in real life. Players are considered more or less fully developed (or almost so) by age 23 or so. So should I expect a 23 year old to realize his potential?

Thanks for any help that can be offered.
muz

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2021 General Discussion