QB Rushing Stats

QB Rushing Stats

Postby ajmh » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:25 pm

I just downloaded the game and simmed a season with computer generated players.

Your QB rushing stats remain a problem.
(They were a problem in the 2020 iteration of the game and are problem in your Pro Football game.)

In my simmed season, only 3 QB's in all of Div I gained more than 300 yards rushing for the season. No QB broke the 400 yard barrier,
In real life 3 QB's in the 14 team SEC alone gained more than 300 yards in a compressed season, with Matt Corral gaining more than 500 yards and Terry Wilson more than 400 yards,
(I count at least 13 QB's nationally who had more than 500 yards in the compressed 2020 season,)

I keep hoping you will fix this issue, but it never seems to happen.

In your Pro Football game, your QB's (even those with decent physical rushing attributes) tend to have too many negative rushing plays.
I am guessing the same is true in your College game, given the low YPA stats they produce.

This issue (among others) has rendered your Pro Football game unplayable for me, and it looks it will be the same for College Football.

I will probably return the game via Steam for a refund for the time being, but let me know if and when you fix this issue and I will reconsider purchasing.

I think your game has potential, but for now I will stick with my old version of Bowl Bound College Football and Front Office Football, until you can produce more realistic stats.

Sorry.
ajmh

Re: QB Rushing Stats

Postby tyronethecalzone » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:39 pm

Yeah I have to agree, College is known for dual threat qb's winning heismans- Barely any have proper speed
Dynasties:
Kentucky the lost team in the SEC
tyronethecalzone

Postby ajmh » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:25 pm

My frustration is that this is not a new issue.

It has been highlighted previously in these forums. A simple sim of a season prior to release would show you that it remains a problem.

I also regret not using the 2019 season as my example in my first post. In 2019 4 QB's had more than a 1000 yards rushing, with Malcolm Perry having more than 2000 yards rushing.

I am baffled why this remains an issue.
ajmh

Postby brooks_piggott » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:55 pm

Sure, we tweaked the pro game to improve on this. I'll put the same changes into CF. Basically we up the number of running plays called when a QB has the runningQB flag. I'm also upping the number of running qb's the game creates. The YPC is a bit tougher to control since it depends on all of the players around them... but I'll see what I can do.

I encourage you in the future, if a specific feature is that important to you, to join us on slack, or during our twitch streams, or during first access so you can highlight these. To be honest with all the testing we did and with the first access having a lot of players playing, this really didn't come up as an issue so it got lost with the other issues people were passionate about.
brooks_piggott

Postby brooks_piggott » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:25 pm

Should be fixed in first patch.
brooks_piggott

Postby ajmh » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:06 am

Thanks for the quick response.
Let me know when it is fixed and I will repurchase. I just asked Steam for a refund.

Has this been fixed in the pro version? Based on recent posts it didn't sound like it had been fixed.
I gave up on the pro game when I had a running QB run for -452 yards in a season.

And if fixed will it work for existing games (and in particular games imported from PF20)?

The issue is too many negative carries for too large of losses.

My pro leagues best running QB had the following stats in back to back games:
game 1 = 195 yards (unrealistic)
game 2 = -26 yards (extremely unrealistic)

It lead to 2 game totals of 169 yards, which seems reasonable until you look at the details.

Neither the college or pro game seems to produce enough dual threat QBs.
College game should be greater than 50-50 as even real world recruits listed as "pocket passer" tend to be able to run.
(Example: Trevor Lawrence was initially regarded as a pocket passer when recruited, and although he is, he can still run for 500+ yards in a season.)

As for the pro game, most high draft picks the last few years tend to have dual threat skills. Look at this year's draft (Lawrence, Fields, Wilson & Lance are all pro dual threats). QB's who can't run (Jones, Trask) tend to not have as much value anymore. However the game does not seem to produce any high draft pick dual threat qb's; or at least not in the 4 years I simmed.

Anyway, let me know the status of this in both games, whenever you have a moment.

Thanks again for the response.
ajmh

Postby truebatman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:43 am

I'm just curious, does the 26 yards happen alot? Just wondering because Lamar Jackson has had some single digit rushing games a few times in his young career
truebatman

Postby brooks_piggott » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:05 am

I can't really control what happens game by game... in some games if the game plan is right and they take off then they could very well go go 200 yards. In other games if they're against a faster or different defense they could have massive losses. It also depends on how much of it is called designed QB runs versus scrambling in the pass game.
brooks_piggott

Postby ajmh » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:50 am

Significant QB rushing losses happen far more than they should.

I play in sandbox mode, and just quick sim games, so its not like I am calling these plays.

In the pro version of the game it was pretty routine for QB's rated as dual threat, running QB's to have games with significant losses (>-10 yards). It was crazy. I have never seen anything like it in real life. (I assume in the real life NFL these plays are more likely to be considered a sack than a rush attempt, but also occur less frequently.)
It destroys YPA stats, where typically QB's are higher than RB's (+6 avg as opposed to +4 avg for the best players).

My complaint is that this issue doesn't occur in other football sims I have played, and makes me think the underlying methodology is flawed.
Do a search in these forums and you will see it has been highlighted as an issue previously.

The frustrating thing is the game has potential, but quirks like this make it an often frustrating and unrealistic experience.
ajmh

Postby arodtwlv » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:45 pm

Not to harp too much on said above which I've noticed too, but have a couple quick balance notes related to QBs / rushing stats. This is from middle on running few long term saves (100+ yrs) and comparing vs irl.

- balance: fumbles by individual player appear way too high. Seeing 18-24 in single season (usually QBs like IRL) where IRL most lead leaders are around 9-12 (highest in 10 years was like 15 I think)
- balance: no fumble return longer than 70+ yards in over 130+ yr sim (law of chance says probably few 99+ in all of cfb history)
- balance: seems to never have a 96+ yard rush (20+ years, but haven't checked vs IRL...guessing law of chance say there should be at least a few full courters if you will)
- balance: QB seem to have a little too high Y/A or Y/C and also most prolific passers not even hitting 25+ atts/game (too many guys with Y/A of 14+ whereas IRL the leaders just are shy over 11 (last 5 years)).

I'm working on other notes for what I see stats wise vs IRL for another specific post, but figured these fit this dissuasion.

Thanks y'all
arodtwlv

Next

Return to DDS: College Football 2021 General Discussion