Recruiting advice

Re: Recruiting advice

Postby bovandy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:08 am

Thank you!
bovandy

Postby Paul On Mars » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:26 pm

Her is how I've been recruiting for multiple iterations of DDSCFB:

1) Knowing how many scholarships I have I determine the numbers of guys at each position I want.
2) I only target players from certain states and territories that other schools often ignore till late in the season, starting with MP and Puerto Rico. Off the top of my head I hit MP, PR, WV, ID, ND, SD, AK, WY, NM, and NV. Whatever positions of need remain, I stick with the 100 miles away option.
3) If ANY of my targets are being recruited by other schools after week one, and said player has less that 25 interest in me, then I drop them.
4) From this point on when I lose a target or feel that I won't get them, then I replace them with other players who have 0 schools targeting them.

I recruit this way all the way till the end. I play with low prestige schools, so this is my go-to method. I make a custom coach in career mode. I do not add points to him, but I rearrange the points he already has. I focus these points on recruiting/charisma. I turn off Talking Points, as it takes too many clicks and screen changes (load times) to access this feature every week. I turn on Allow Any Position Changes. You'd be surprised how many positions transition well, and it has saved me late in the recruiting cycle when, say, defensive ends are wiped out, but I've got a stable of linebackers. Yes, LB's can make good DE's, provided you try each one first. All you have to do is switch them and check how their numbers change. Most are bust, so you just switch them back without leaving the screen. But sometimes you can strike literal gold. The key is to do this right before spring training, as they'll gain around 30 skill points "learning their new position." Also, when changing player positions I edit the players weight up to 20 pounds, depending on their new position. I don't know that it effects performance, but this is something that would happen in a real strength and conditioning program. Lastly, the option to hire an internal coach for OC and DC is an infinitely repeatable option. I try not to overuse it, but we all know how some coaching hire sessions go bust, even after all five stages. When this happens I hire internal and if they do not share my HC's preference, eg, 4-3, 3-4 hybrid, etc, then I immediately fire and replace them. I repeat this till I get a coach that shares my HC's style. When I get such a coach I check their recruiting skill. If they are not good recruiters then I fire and repeat the process till I have the right guy. Hint: do not do this during the coach hiring period, as other schools can then hire them away from you. LOL

BONUS INFO: When it comes to recruiting players that no one else is going after, even if they never show any decent interest in your school, they usually commit anyway around the last few weeks of the regular season. Also, I sometimes do mass position changes when I see that I'm going to have too many players of a particular position leave at the same time, eg, If I have 4 (RS)JR running backs then I am going to try to move 1 or 2 to other positions, if their overall score doesn't drop too much, and move 1 or 2 guys from other positions to RB to replace them. This can prevent a situation like needing 5 WR's in one recruiting class. This works really well with C-G-T. O-line guys change position within the line very easily.
Paul On Mars

Postby frankinho » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:47 pm

what does the phone call (1 outreach point) actually do?
frankinho

Previous

Return to DDS: College Football 2021 General Discussion