Recruiting advice

Re: Recruiting advice

Postby arodtwlv » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:10 pm

keythvance wrote:I wonder if 2 stars can become excellent players. Maybe your guide will give us the answer to that question!

Depending on what you mean by 2-stars becoming "excellent players", yes a few of them can def become top tier. For me (note unless changed in recent patch) I find guys ranked below ~600 (nation) to be all interchangeable as in a low 3-star is the same as a 1-star when it comes to ceilings. Example: if recruiting QB and I'm not hunting a top 300 QB, then often times I'll find lower guys (especially 1-star guys) who are just as good as say the #500 ranked QB and so I don't bother with the extra heat 3-stars get compared to <= 2-stars.

The only tradeoff usually for me is only if I'm trying to recruit high 3-stars or above. It isn't until you get really to top ~300 ranked where players are almost consistently better than their lower rated peers.

That said when you get into 2-star territory you usually are only looking at a handful that will be top tier (say ~20 out of all), but some of those guys can easily be high 80's w/ occasional 90. Eventually plan on running multi season analysis to better pinpoint this data, but this was from many mental observations with the exported player files for numerous seasons.
arodtwlv

Postby AKH » Fri May 07, 2021 1:22 pm

AKH

Postby reme » Mon May 10, 2021 11:36 am

Thank you for the tutorials !.
Question: Can you recruit players for a position that you will have the max amount that is listed for that position (with no seniors) and if he commits, what will happen ? can I just release a player in the same position next season to make room for him or will the game not let him be available because i was at the position limit ? My goal would be to replace a current player with a better one next season that I recruited if possible.
Thanks for any help.
reme

Postby AKH » Mon May 10, 2021 11:40 am

yes - you can overrecruit at positions, but beware that recruits will be hesitant to commit to you if you already have a bunch at their position, so it will take very little competition for them to chose go to another school. Or put in another way, if you have a lot of players at the position (either committed or non-seniors already on roster), you get significant nerfs on your recruiting point mods, so you will likely lose the recruit if other teams target him.
AKH

Postby JWW » Mon May 10, 2021 12:52 pm

Good tutorials. Though I also like arodtwlv's advice, which includes identifying your needs and then picking a main target and alternate lower rated target for each position as a starting point. That is how I work, from a position need chart, though not overlooking targets of opportunity. Once I identify my needs I usually have 2-4 scholarships to fish with. Playing a spread and 3-3-5 D, I find that the game's advice on how many I need for each position differs slightly from what I think I need to play those formations. I throw 1 pt to the alternate for 3-4 weeks, and often at the end they have high interest if the primary gets taken away by a higher ranking school. I play a low ranking school, UL-Monroe, and I also start each recruiting year by looking at who is available in state within 100 miles. I'm not sure how successful that has been as a tactic, but it is fun to recruit local kids for the local team. Another word of advice if you are playing mid to low level. Be patient. Be very patient. Be prepared to have bad years initially. And don't set your goals to high. The recommendations will give you a general idea of what you can hope to obtain. But your bad years, at least in my experience, will still bring you better players than you start with. And of course look for those transfers. One or two high rated transfers can be a game changer. But remember they currently have to sit out a year unless/until Wolverine changes the in-game rule to reflect the latest NCAA changes.
JWW

Postby reme » Mon May 10, 2021 1:07 pm

AKH wrote:yes - you can overrecruit at positions, but beware that recruits will be hesitant to commit to you if you already have a bunch at their position, so it will take very little competition for them to chose go to another school. Or put in another way, if you have a lot of players at the position (either committed or non-seniors already on roster), you get significant nerfs on your recruiting point mods, so you will likely lose the recruit if other teams target him.

Thanks for the quick response. if the player does commit, will i need to cut an existing player at that position to meet the max requirements as I mentioned ?
reme

Postby AKH » Tue May 11, 2021 7:53 am

no, you should be able to play even if you are above max if memory serves. (if you run into problems and want to avoid cutting players you can edit the max in settings)
AKH

Postby reme » Tue May 11, 2021 2:14 pm

AKH wrote:no, you should be able to play even if you are above max if memory serves. (if you run into problems and want to avoid cutting players you can edit the max in settings)

Thank you once again for your help. (Good to know about the work around also in case of a problem. i was not aware of that)
reme

Postby bovandy » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:51 am

Am I missing something when it comes to offering scholarships? I don't see any see any button anywhere for that.
bovandy

Postby brooks_piggott » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:57 pm

Its under Recruit Players -> View: Actions -> Scholarship Offer checkbox
brooks_piggott

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Football 2021 General Discussion