Custom playbook issues. Running way too much

Custom playbook issues. Running way too much

Postby bigpoppa85 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:50 am

I am an Air Raid offensive guy. I'd like to throw the ball 75% of the time. I also want to exclusively use the Shotgun and 4 WR Shotgun formations.

I cannot get the play distributions to work correctly yet despite playing with all kinds of options. I am running the ball AT LEAST 50% of the time. Usually going toward 65% run. Despite my Run/Pass settings to be slanted towards passing. For example, My 1st down Run/Pass Ratio is 85.

In my custom playbook I have 23 pass plays and 3 run plays. The pass play distribution works correctly. But the run game is not. I am convinced it is the distribution issue. On the Custom playbook screen my pass play distribution is fine...it works appropriately if I weight a pass 1, 2, 3, etc. But the run game is stuck at 33% at the lowest weight. That number makes sense... I have 3 run plays so if I pick a run play, and all run weights are the same...I should have a 33% chance of picking a particular run play. But it seems this frequency % is overriding my entire playbook Run/Pass Ratio. It's like on a custom playbook, it wants to keep it 50/50.

Any ideas?

*EDIT*
Changing my formation distribution. Hopefully that will help!
bigpoppa85

Re: Custom playbook issues. Running way too much

Postby brooks_piggott » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:15 pm

The weight in the playbook determines how often a play is picked from that set. So if you have 3 runs weighted as 1 it will pick each of them 33% of the time.

The ratio you're looking for is in the scenario settings where you change the run pass ratio. If you set your ratio to the highest pass you can then it will pass as much as possible, which in the game tends to be about a 65/35 split either direction. Meaning even at 100 or 0 your team will still stick to college football norms. If you want more control over it you can go into options and change the run pass base and modifier. So you would want a base of 0 and modifier of 100, which would make the AI ignore most (not all) internal guardrails and instead use the strategy scenarios with full weight. I don't normally recommend this as it will cause teams to end up with really broken stats (75 runs and 5 passes or vice versa is never realistic to me), but it's there for folks who want to try it.
brooks_piggott

Postby AKH » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:56 pm

AKH

Postby bigpoppa85 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:04 pm

Brooks_Piggott wrote:The weight in the playbook determines how often a play is picked from that set. So if you have 3 runs weighted as 1 it will pick each of them 33% of the time.

The ratio you're looking for is in the scenario settings where you change the run pass ratio. If you set your ratio to the highest pass you can then it will pass as much as possible, which in the game tends to be about a 65/35 split either direction. Meaning even at 100 or 0 your team will still stick to college football norms. If you want more control over it you can go into options and change the run pass base and modifier. So you would want a base of 0 and modifier of 100, which would make the AI ignore most (not all) internal guardrails and instead use the strategy scenarios with full weight. I don't normally recommend this as it will cause teams to end up with really broken stats (75 runs and 5 passes or vice versa is never realistic to me), but it's there for folks who want to try it.

Got it! Thank you! I actually thought of this right after I posted. I had tried everything else lol. Thanks again!
bigpoppa85

Return to DDS: College Football 2021 General Discussion