What's the secret to a good defense?

What's the secret to a good defense?

Postby jmik58 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:01 am

I've had lots of success in recruiting, consistently pulling in top-30 classes with a top-10 class every few years. So needless to say, there is a lot of talent on the field. However, for some reason my defense consistently gives up 30+ppg. I've edited the DC scheme, I've given depth chart and strategy control to the head coach, but somehow just can't get over the hump. There has been one season that was 10-2... all the rest have been 6-6 or 5-7, even though the makeup of the roster (from a ratings standpoint) has stayed the same if not increased. My lowest rated starter on defense at any position is around an 80-82.
Most everyone else is mid 80s to low 90s. My offense consistently performs with around 30 ppg, but that creates issues where I lose multiple games each year by 3 pts.

So.. what are the factors that matter MOST to get the talent to turn into wins (especially on defense)?
jmik58

Re: What's the secret to a good defense?

Postby jedyeti » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:20 pm

custom playbooks.
jedyeti

Postby jmik58 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:11 pm

Can you elaborate more on what makes certain playbooks more effective?
jmik58

Postby JWW » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:56 pm

I have not used custom playbooks. But I have had some success simply by setting up some alternate game plans under Strategy > Game Plans. I usually set up just one offensive game plan with an aggressive fast tempo pass heavy spread and then choosiethe other factors based on my players, though I try to have a QB who likes to tuck and run often if he seems to have the ratings for that and if he does it well. And I will sometimes throw in a different wrinkle if playing a really strong opponent, maybe changing running focus or passing preference. Sometimes that seems to work.

But I set up two or three defensive game plans. I run a 335 zone. One game plan is RUN D. Aggressive, run focused, D line run focused, LBs support. I run a 335 zone. PASS D aggressive pass focused D line pass rush. This is based on what the Game Plan Next Opponent Scouting says. I also run the default sometimes. For key games I sometimes vary something in the Offensive Game Plan. Play Calling I choose either the OC or DC or the head coach depending on which one I like best. I don't do anything else with it. i don't mess with formations or custom playbooks and have good success. I also just sim games because I like to play a lot of seasons with a team when start a new career.
JWW

Postby BradS » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:21 pm

JWW wrote:I have not used custom playbooks. But I have had some success simply by setting up some alternate game plans under Strategy > Game Plans. I usually set up just one offensive game plan with an aggressive fast tempo pass heavy spread and then choosiethe other factors based on my players, though I try to have a QB who likes to tuck and run often if he seems to have the ratings for that and if he does it well. And I will sometimes throw in a different wrinkle if playing a really strong opponent, maybe changing running focus or passing preference. Sometimes that seems to work.

But I set up two or three defensive game plans. I run a 335 zone. One game plan is RUN D. Aggressive, run focused, D line run focused, LBs support. I run a 335 zone. PASS D aggressive pass focused D line pass rush. This is based on what the Game Plan Next Opponent Scouting says. I also run the default sometimes. For key games I sometimes vary something in the Offensive Game Plan. Play Calling I choose either the OC or DC or the head coach depending on which one I like best. I don't do anything else with it. i don't mess with formations or custom playbooks and have good success. I also just sim games because I like to play a lot of seasons with a team when start a new career.

Can you recall what kind of numbers your defense is putting up?
BradS

Postby JWW » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:30 pm

BradS wrote:Can you recall what kind of numbers your defense is putting up?

I started a new career a couple of weeks ago at ULM. Again the same system. I only sim games. I don't set up plays, just Strategy>Playcalling and Strategy>Game Planning. Playcalling I simply choose between the Head Coach and Coordinator for the offense and defense, which one I like best, usually the one that throws more and blitzes more. And for Game Planning I set up 3 game plans, all with the same offensive tendencies, a pass heavy spread. I set up a balanced D, a run D, and a pass D, all with a zone defense, and I use what I think will work based on the opponent's tendencies, with occasional tweaks. Though the last five games of my last season I stuck with my balanced D because something clicked with it and I started beating teams soundly. I should add that the Sunshine was down last season. ULM was the only team with an overall winning record, so that helped, too.

Records 7-7, 6-7, 9-5, 13-1 (loss to Memphis in week 2). Four bowl trips, 3 losses, then a win. Playing Sunshine Conference opponents and mid major out of conference teams like La. Tech, USM, Memphis, Tulane. Got crushed in my first three bowls but then just upset Alabama (#25, so a relatively weak Alabama) in the Nectarine Bowl last season on a last-second field goal. Points allowed. 26.7, 27.0, 20.3, 17.1 Yards allowed. 481, 380, 348, 325. The scheme stays the same with a few tweaks thrown in. Just better talent each year. Shooting for high level recommended 3 stars and trying to grab 1 or 2 local or unrecruited 4 stars or transfer 4 stars. My talent on both sides of the ball definitely improved every year, even signing nearly all 3 stars. The first two years I got outscored, the last two I scored more points, especially last season. The last two years I had a transfer 4 star QB who had two years of eligibility left and lit things up, especially last season, and some good running backs. I'll probably be starting a 4 star freshman next year and doubt I will go 13-1 again.
JWW

Return to DDS: College Football 2021 General Discussion