Player skills

Player skills

Postby schlick7 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:19 pm

I looked around and can't seem to find anywhere that shows a skill breakdown.

I watched the latest youtube developer dynasty and it was mentioned that athleticism relates mostly to the ability to run presses. Would this also relate to running tenacious defense?

I'm having a hard time deciding on a strategy as I'm just not sure what some of the skills are meaning.
Does outside shooting mean only 3s or deeper 2s as well
Is inside shooting mid range? or is it things like lay ups.
What's scoring? overall ability to get to the hoop? quantity of shots? quality of shots?

If there is a forum post or some guide that I'm missing somewhere could somebody link it. I checked the help document in game and it doesn't mention anything about player skills.

Thanks.
schlick7

Re: Player skills

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:25 pm

The best thing you can do is just ask questions right here in the forum - we have a lot of knowledgeable players who love to help.

Athleticism does play a small role in playing aggressive defense but primarily is for press/trap options

Outside shooting refers to both longer 2s and 3s

Inside shooting is going to be shots inside the paint and short 2s outside

Scoring is the player's ability to create shots - they might not be good shots but it is his ability to either get open to shoot or create for himself off the dribble
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby schlick7 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:43 pm

Thanks! Those are all pretty much what I thought they were so that's good.

Would you mind doing the rest of the skills?
schlick7

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:47 pm

I think the rest are pretty much what you would assume they are - passing is how likely they are to help generate a basket, ball handling how likely they are not to turn it over etc. If there's a specific question you have though Im glad to answer
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby schlick7 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:48 am

I suppose that is mostly true.

Is drawing fouls just for shooting? or does this start also cover their tendency to foul on defense. If not, what does control that, defensive ability mixed with discipline?

Is defensive abilities the general defensive skill or more aimed at man-to-man.
Like how should I be evaluating defensive ability. if its a 1 out of10 is he just assumed to be absolutely useless on defense or can a high proficiency save that a little. Is it mixing with other stats?

Some skills are obvious and others are not. Seems a simple thing to give them a little explanation like you have above and then paste them into the help guide you can access in game.
schlick7

Postby Gary Gorski » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:07 pm

drawing fouls is for offense - their discipline and iq will determine fouls on defense

defensive ability is for both man and zone - a high proficiency will be better than a low one but a high proficiency just means he's a slightly better "2" rather than a worse "2" if his rating is 2
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby schlick7 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:08 pm

So a 90 proficiency 23 zone defender with a 2 defensive skill is worse than a 20 proficiency 23 zone defender with defensive skill of 3?
2(90) < 3(20)?

If that's the case I've been greatly over estimating player experience, It seems to be the only skills that older players are always better at than young. Is there some type of hidden game time or experience skill? Seems like there would be almost no reason to favor an older player if the younger player is equal skill.
schlick7

Postby Gary Gorski » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:09 pm

The proficiency skill is largely for how well a player understands the set and where he should be. A 90 proficiency will be in the right spot far more often than a 20 - when they are in place to defend the 3 is going to be better than the 2 but if the 3 has no idea most of the time of where he is supposed to be in the zone or is slow in getting to his spot his better defensive rating is worthless because he's not there to defend
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby schlick7 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:43 pm

That's what I assumed at first. Your earlier reply seemed to go against that
schlick7

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 FirstAccess