Newbie Questions

Re: Newbie Questions

Postby Wildcat18 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:34 pm

PG definitely makes some good points here, he’s been here a while and he definitely has been a big help answering people’s questions.

I’m relatively new here myself (just under a year, and only consistently the past few months). PG is definitely right when he says everyone does things a little differently. You gotta find out what works for you. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, because you *will* make mistakes.

As for what I do in recruiting, I tend to value flexibility in my rosters and don’t really subscribe to the “traditional” positions. Must come from being a Nova fan and watching our 5s sometimes being our best 3-pt shooters and are guards our best post guys! I divide my team into several categories: pure PG, combo guards, wings, big men. Generally speaking, I prefer to have most of my team as combo guards and wings, with 2-3 big men. This occasionally means I can get some weird roster setups, like the season I played where I had no SFs on the roster, or my current season where i play a PG at SG and a SG at PG in key moments late in the game. But generally speaking, everyone on my roster can play at least 2 positions, and oftentimes 3.
Wildcat18

Postby PointGuard » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:00 pm

Interesting setup, Wildcat. Good to see others contributing their ideas. One of the things that I like about DDSCB is that there are so many different ways to play it.

I agree with Wildcat that it's best when your players can handle 2 or 3 positions, e.g, a SF who can play not only SF but also SG and PF. For me C's and PF's are pretty much interchangeable. A SG with good ball handling and passing skills certainly can be a good PG.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby blazertaz13 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:42 pm

PointGuard wrote:I agree with Wildcat that it's best when your players can handle 2 or 3 positions, e.g, a SF who can play not only SF but also SG and PF. For me C's and PF's are pretty much interchangeable. A SG with good ball handling and passing skills certainly can be a good PG.

Now that I am playing in multi-player league, I am finding having a SG that can also play some point helps a lot. Everyone goes after the stud PG, but they sometimes over look a good ballhandling SG. It has helped me in the past.

I do try and find the undervalued player as well. Some may not be rated as 5 star players, but may actually have some great value for a small school.
blazertaz13

Postby 23Zone » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:33 am

I agree with all of this logic for recruiting because what you often find is... PG who cant handle and turns the ball over a ton but shoots and scores better than most SG. I especially see this when my association matures and I get to a high prestige school near the end of my career. The top rated PGs are many times that type... all score no handle. So they become 1 and done SGs if I can get them... I hate turnovers. SFs who can't shoot from the outside well enough to be effective there but rebound and defend well can become PFs... I hate teams that zone me and if your SF can't shoot its an issue. I recently had a 6'4 PF that was listed as a SF when I recruited him who was awesome for me... all conference player. Like someone else said I just consider PFs and Cs as post players and recruit them together. Pay less attention to what they are listed as position wise and more to what they can do.

One little nugget that I have noticed for recruiting that you can use. When you are recruiting pay attention to who else is recruiting them. If the list is filled with higher level schools even if the player is far down the list of recruits he is more than likely a decent player. You have to be careful using this logic when recruiting first starts however because the players list of preferred schools often changes at the beginning of August. Also since the list of big name schools is attached to a seemingly lesser player you can usually slip in a steal them because the bigger schools have better recruits to go after first. And if you are an extreme micro manager you can pay attention to how many scholarships some of the big name schools have and figure out if they will even get down to the little fish recruit you are looking at after snagging higher level recruits.

That's the best thing about recruiting in this game.... there are endless possibilities to what can happen.
23Zone

Previous

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2021 FirstAccess